PUG Commanders FYI

For those of you who lead a group into battle, please remember that not everyone has the same mounts as you or any mounts at all.

I have been in good groups where mounted people go one way and those without mounts are lead in another way around.

I was just in a poor group where the leader and ~25% of the group had griffons the rest had a motley crew of mounts. They had an advantage and left us getting into little fights when, if we had known where we were going, could have skirted those areas.

It's just a way to make the game a little easier for everyone.

The best commanders appoint a couple of lieutenants. The commander can focus on being the spearhead, and the lieuts can handle the other logistics, like marking the destination, playing caboose to the long train, or leading a second group to the destination. They can also handle things like call outs the VoIP address, invites, /kicks (to make room for more), etc.

Mileage varies of course between different events. AB Meta doesn't really need commanders these days, VB/night works better without a tag, etc. Since PoF is relatively new, good commanders will assume they have 30-70% people who aren't familiar with the mechanics. Good commanders also assume that there are some people who still, to this day, don't know which skills have good CC for fights (and so they specifically suggest skills to bring for each prof). A little explanation goes a long way towards ensuring success.

You know, while running bounty trains I've had people take 15 minutes to get from map to map. No joke. Every time I run a train, there's 5-10 guys who do nothing but sit there and wait forever after every single bounty. They'll still try and continue with the train, but nearly half of the time I take doing the train is waiting for those 1/5 guys with bladder infections who take every bounty as an opportunity to go pee. So, I stopped waiting for them.

Unless I am organizing a complicated event, it is not my job to make sure you have the right mounts and gear. It is my job to lead the group. You'll get there eventually anyway, and if you don't have the mounts to reach an area, then just resolve to get it and do the content later.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> Unless I am organizing a complicated event, it is not my job to make sure you have the right mounts and gear. It is my job to lead the group. You'll get there eventually anyway, and if you don't have the mounts to reach an area, then just resolve to get it and do the content later.

I mean there's a difference between "right mounts" and "gryphon" - vabbi is THE most prominent example of this, but it happens on all maps. You shouldn't really be doing a bounty train in highlands if you dont have raptor 3+springer, or riverlands if you dont have springer+skimmer, or desolation if you dont have skimmer+spinger 3, or vabbi unless you have all of them. The issue is that gryphons have amazing mobility that trumps the other mounts, mind that it requires story completion and significant gold farming for the majority of people. Gryphon comms tend to leave people behind who don't have gryphon (again, especially in vabbi but in all maps), a mount which used to be hidden and is optional for all but a few (and really, only a few) race achievements in the game. You can reach everywhere with the first 4 mounts, gryphons tend to reach everywhere a whole lot faster though.

> @Lexi.1398 said:

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > Unless I am organizing a complicated event, it is not my job to make sure you have the right mounts and gear. It is my job to lead the group. You'll get there eventually anyway, and if you don't have the mounts to reach an area, then just resolve to get it and do the content later.

>

> I mean there's a difference between "right mounts" and "gryphon" - vabbi is THE most prominent example of this, but it happens on all maps. You shouldn't really be doing a bounty train in highlands if you dont have raptor 3+springer, or riverlands if you dont have springer+skimmer, or desolation if you dont have skimmer+spinger 3, or vabbi unless you have all of them. The issue is that gryphons have amazing mobility that trumps the other mounts, mind that it requires story completion and significant gold farming for the majority of people. Gryphon comms tend to leave people behind who don't have gryphon (again, especially in vabbi but in all maps), a mount which used to be hidden and is optional for all but a few (and really, only a few) race achievements in the game. You can reach everywhere with the first 4 mounts, gryphons tend to reach everywhere a whole lot faster though.

>

>

This isn't a commander thing though. Literally, you guys are shifting the post. You want an experienced person leading the train then odds are really good said person has all mounts. If you'd like to participate it's on you to make sure you know you have the right tools for the job not the other player.

Mounting is not so bad considering their combat abilities. The raptors can pull ene,ies together into a tight group. But its up to the players discretion to not get too far ahead of the group. What often works best is for the commander to not use mounts, so the everyone, even those with mounts, stay together

I'd like to add: make sure you join the commander's squad if you run with them. I can only see the ppl in my squad on the map. So if you stay outside the squad and are lost in the desert I won't notice.

I've never had this issue though. Almost everyone seems to have the griffon. And it's not like you can take more shortcuts with it than with the springer. People will get there eventually. If something is too fast, tell the commander. But from my experience ppl tend to complain when it's too slow. ;)