mirage and utility's

caveman.5840

> @Cantatus.4065 said:

> Sands Through Glass is a skill I've never been able to figure out where it fits. If you want to move out of danger, Jaunt moves you further and gives you better control over where you go (since backwards isn't always the best choice). If you want a mirror, the other mirror generating skills at least put one close to you. It's also not any faster than the others, nor is it always convenient to dodge out of combat for a mirror (if they were worth it). And Elusive Mind replaces any need for it as a stun break, plus Decoy and Blink really aren't much slower (and Blink can actually be a second faster with Master of Manipulation). Basically, everything it does can be done better by something else we have.

>

> But then, I think that's sort of the thing about all our utilities that makes them feel uninspiring. There's a lot of overlap in their functionality to the point where it's hard to see where you'd take any combination of Mirage Advance, Illusionary Ambush, and Sands Through Glass at the same time - not when there are so many other utilities skills that fill more important holes. And then that gets back to the argument of mirage not feeling distinct enough from base mesmer.

I agree. To me, you could take out all the extra utility skills that Mirage brings and the spec would play exactly the same as it does now. That's how you know a skill is pointless when you could remove said skill and not affect the game in any way at all.

> @zealex.9410 said:

> For a rushed spec it functions pretty well

Powerful (or even OP) != well-designed.

The spec does fairly well. And feels incredibly undercooked and frankly, if I ignore for a moment how easy it makes it to win, just isn't fun to play. Since winning in itself is rarely something enjoyable for me, I actually dislike Mirage. Quite a lot. I wouldn't call it the worst-designed PoF spec, but it's far far down near the bottom.

> @Carighan.6758 said:

> > @zealex.9410 said:

> > For a rushed spec it functions pretty well

>

> Powerful (or even OP) != well-designed.

>

> The spec does fairly well. And feels incredibly undercooked and frankly, if I ignore for a moment how easy it makes it to win, just isn't fun to play. Since winning in itself is rarely something enjoyable for me, I actually dislike Mirage. Quite a lot. I wouldn't call it the worst-designed PoF spec, but it's far far down near the bottom.

At first I somewhat liked Mirage and thought it was fun, not anymore though. It's only worthwhile if you use an Axe and/or IH with it. Otherwise it's just base mesmer with some fancy dodge, visuals and boosted defense/mobility. It's a failed elite spec imo, no matter how OP they'd make it. Personally, I've already switched back to my base mesmer build. Gotta wait and hope for something more interesting on the 3rd expansion, I guess.

About mirage's utilities: I only like Jaunt. Crystal Sands is quite nice too but doesn't feel like an utility skill to me for some reason. And I agree with those who say that Mirage Advance and Illusionary Ambush should be merged. Each of them is used hardly ever, so maybe making them into one skill could help.