Ranked PVP needs to be gated.

CitizenKing.4912

There's just something really frustrating about somebody who has no idea what they're doing jumping into ranked and screwing the rest of their team into a 4v5 because "the rewards are better, lol!"

It wouldn't be hard to force a character to complete X amount of unranked matches before allowing them to compete in ranked mode. It wouldn't be unfair either. Plenty of other games with strong e-sports communities put these kinds of limitations in, and they serve a good purpose.

It's just entirely frustrating to watch people who have no idea how to play their class feeding points and objectives to the enemy team because they don't care about their rating and they don't care about dragging their team down as long as they get theirs in the end.

> @CitizenKing.4912 said:

> There's just something really frustrating about somebody who has no idea what they're doing jumping into ranked and screwing the rest of their team into a 4v5 because "the rewards are better, lol!"

> It wouldn't be hard to force a character to complete X amount of unranked matches before allowing them to compete in ranked mode. It wouldn't be unfair either. Plenty of other games with strong e-sports communities put these kinds of limitations in, and they serve a good purpose.

> It's just entirely frustrating to watch people who have no idea how to play their class feeding points and objectives to the enemy team because they don't care about their rating and they don't care about dragging their team down as long as they get theirs in the end.

I wish I could thumbs up x1764800000 times

There should be a written fucking test.

Also I should note that I am 100% of with noobs noon on my team amd losing AS LONG as they actually were receptive to communication and at least tried doing what you suggest.

Why does it need to be gated, and what would the gate be? I mostly pvp for fun - but I really love winning. I ~think~ I'm semi good, but I've been bouncing between mid gold and high silver the whole season so I'm obviously not great either. I'm almost a shark rank, but I don't see that affect anything. I know most of the maps, and I have fun. I obviously play ranked because it's the only place I can farm legendary armor components, plus the rewards during the seasons is ridiculously much better than in unranked. I expect this is exactly the same reason everyone else is joining ranked during seasons.

If anything the leagues should be split more, like novice league, veteran league and expert league tiers, with their own bronze, silver, gold, diamond tiers. And after say 15 qualifying matches you'd be sent to one of the leagues, then after 10 more you'd be sent to a tier within that one. I'd looooove to see what that would do to queue times though :)

Another option is to just have league rewards in unranked.

> @Axl.8924 said:

> There already is though.Think you need rank 20 was it? can't remember for ranked.

This is correct. I haven't played since release back in 2012 and I'm getting back into it these last couple weeks and I can't join ranked games because I'm not rank 20 yet. It's taken me ~2 weeks to get to rank 19, so I don't know what more OP wants.

> @"Faux Play.6104" said:

> They just need to do a better job of making players on the same team be at they same rating. Right now it common to have people 600 rating points apart on the same team.

Seconded. You don't need to bar the door from players with less experience, you need to find a way to keep players playing against others of their skill.

That being said, the last few days I've gotten some pretty solid matchmaking. Some blowouts, sure. But never really felt like the team was clueless outside of one or two players.

> @CitizenKing.4912 said:

> There's just something really frustrating about somebody who has no idea what they're doing jumping into ranked and screwing the rest of their team into a 4v5 because "the rewards are better, lol!"

> It wouldn't be hard to force a character to complete X amount of unranked matches before allowing them to compete in ranked mode. It wouldn't be unfair either. Plenty of other games with strong e-sports communities put these kinds of limitations in, and they serve a good purpose.

> It's just entirely frustrating to watch people who have no idea how to play their class feeding points and objectives to the enemy team because they don't care about their rating and they don't care about dragging their team down as long as they get theirs in the end.

If somebody is completely useless after level 20, chances are additional gating won't help their cause... They will be terrible forever, and end up in bronze never to be heard from again.

Although I find these players less frustrating to have on your team then the guy who sees a bad player and just rages in chat and afk's 1 minute into the game. "OMG OUR ELE'S USING STAFF KITTEN WORTHLESS KITTEN!!!!!!!" /afk.

> @STIHL.2489 said:

> Don't blame the players,m Blame Anet for making doing Ranked matches part of the daily. It's Not the players fault for trying to get their daily done but being bad at playing, they are at least trying, it's Anet's fault for herding them into Ranked matches with daily rewards.

Unranked also awards daily rewards FYI. The daily states "rated" I believe, and works for either ranked or unranked. But when I first started I thought it meant ranked only as well.

I assume the goal is to make it clear that custom arenas won't get the daily. But they could probably do with changing the wording.

i had a guy on my team yesterday ( 1600 rating which is plat) that wanted to rush lord at 250 to 400 (we having 250) and couldn't understand why we wouldn't leave our ONLY capped point to come kill lord(which wouldn't of been doable anyways).

The fact that someone can be plat and yet not understand a simple map mech is beyond me....250 +150 doesn't equal 500.....even after i explained this to him he said he has played many games and won via lord kill DOH luckily now i am 1700 rating and hopefully past any of that grief.

I agree, there needs to be more gating than just rank 20 which takes no time to get. They also need to change the way the pvp back item achievements work, I've had people on my team before "hi guys just so you know im bad at pvp and am just here for legendary backpack so pls carry me lol". He was bad, yet still somehow ended up on my team when I'm plat.

F i x i t

There is a gate, it exists. Asking for a bigger gate solves nothing. It's not like there is some magical rank that people learn how to play at. This is just angry people losing matches and wanting to place the blame somewhere.

Now a tutorial, that would be worth the time to implement. Then people actually learn a thing or 2 before jumping into ranked matches. Even this doesn't really solve the OP's problem though unless he is playing in Bronze. I mean, if these teammates are really as bad as everyone says they are, how are they in gold or even silver? Surely there isn't some endless supply of new players messing up everyone's matches.

Well we can't really identify the problem then. I mean, people think they can, but you can't. People swear up and down that they are plat, their entire team is is bronze, and the entire enemy team is legendary right (obvious exaggeration btw)? That's the real problem here! But wait, nobody can actually prove any of this! It's all speculation, because it is extremely rare to actually be able to look up the ratings for each and every player in the match. If you can't get the rating of every player, then you don't actually know the whole story on how the match was balanced.

Best thing Anet could do would be to actually show everyone's rank as it was when the match started, on the leaderboard, at the end of the match. Matchmaking is the biggest issue people complain about, yet the players don't have enough information on what is actually going on to provide well informed feedback. So now, instead of feedback based on facts, we get rant posts demanding silly things like bigger gates to PvP.

I agree that putting in a harsh gate to ranked is not the answer. All that does is hurt your population even more.

Players who are dragging down a team like its being suggested would naturally be lower ranked. So they should mostly be playing with other lower ranked players.

I think the real issue is that you've got higher ranked players getting matched with lower ranked players. That is mostly due to the population being too low and I don't really know what you do about it. You could also cap the MMR range it pulls from, but people at the edges (low bronze, high legend) are going to have a tough time getting matches and queue times in general would almost certainly increase. That all being said, I also question if this happens as much as posters claim. Lot of times its just people assuming it.

One fairly significant issue is how each class shares a pvp rank. I am G1/G2 on my Guardian. Probably only S3 on my Ranger. But if I decide to play my Ranger I am going to play with other Golds or I have to play unranked. And, of course, the backpack requires a certain number of wins in ranked on different classes. I think pvp would benefit by giving each class its own rank and only allowing class changes if the class is within a certain MMR range of the team's average MMR.

The issue I see with showing everyone's rank is the one guy who is slightly lower on the losing team is going to get blasted in whispers by toxic players. But I tend to think this wouldn't happen much more than it already does.

> @Omcrazy.4756 said:

> > @STIHL.2489 said:

> > Don't blame the players,m Blame Anet for making doing Ranked matches part of the daily. It's Not the players fault for trying to get their daily done but being bad at playing, they are at least trying, it's Anet's fault for herding them into Ranked matches with daily rewards.

>

> Unranked also awards daily rewards FYI. The daily states "rated" I believe, and works for either ranked or unranked. But when I first started I thought it meant ranked only as well.

>

> I assume the goal is to make it clear that custom arenas won't get the daily. But they could probably do with changing the wording.

True, that Unranked will also work, but that does not change the fact that Anet is herding players into that PvP style, so it's bound to happen where people that have zero place in a ranked match, end up doing them to satisfy a daily requirement. Perhaps Anet ought to rethink allowing them to use custom Arena's to get their daily done?

> @STIHL.2489 said:

>

> True, that Unranked will also work, but that does not change the fact that Anet is herding players into that PvP style, so it's bound to happen where people that have zero place in a ranked match, end up doing them to satisfy a daily requirement. Perhaps Anet ought to rethink allowing them to use custom Arena's to get their daily done?

The flaw in the logic is thinking that certain people have no place in a ranked match. There are divisions and tiers for a reason. That reason is to separate the bad players from the good. Everyone, after a basic minimum "this is how pvp works" gate (ie getting to rank 20, but maybe that isn't even needed), should have a place in ranked and be matched against players of their own skill. You should want players, even bad and inexperienced players, to join pvp. Because that increases the population. Those bad and inexperienced players can very well turn into OK and good or very good players. Most are pretty bad before they eventually learn and get good. The goal should be to encourage more players to join pvp.

The problem isn't that bad/inexperienced players are being allowed to play. The problem is they are getting matched with better/more experienced players. This hurts both because better players are frustrated their team is getting dragged down and bad players are frustrated because they are getting stomped left and right and don't understand why. I get not wanting to play with players of less skill than yourself, especially when it is by a significant margin. But the solution isn't to straight bar those players from playing ranked at all.

Unranked doesn't really teach anything more than the basics. When you throw a bunch of clueless players together they are going to play clueless. Rank 30 or Rank 50, when they finally get out of unranked they are going to have just as many bad habits as they did at Rank 20. And these gates mostly drive players away from pvp. More population = higher quality match making. More population means more low ranks to match with low ranks, more medium ranks to match with medium ranks, and more high ranks to match with high ranks.

I don't know how you encourage more players to join pvp. I think PoF will help if only because more players will come play GW2 in general. But it wont sustain it by itself. New game modes? More unique rewards (gold is fine and all but...)?