Did you play the original Guild Wars?

In Path of Fire and the first episode of the Living World season 4, there are a lot of throw backs to the original Guild Wars. It has led to some interesting nostalgia-filled conversations in the Istan map chat. However, it has left me wondering - how many GW2 players have played the original game?

Previous polls were mostly a matter of "yes" or "no", but I think those didn't really see the players who just touched the surface of the original Guild Wars, realized they didn't like the game and then stopped playing. Many of those also wouldn't get all the references to the first GW despite technically having played it, so I have added an option specifically for them.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was late starting, I got it shortly after Factions was released (but started with Prophecies because my brother had it and I wanted to be able to play with him) but I love that game and played it for thousands of hours, although I never did finish everything in it. I still play it periodically but not nearly as much as I used to - I find myself missing too many of the things added in GW2.

I remember joking about the name of it a bit and the font looked weird, like another Prince of Persia.

Also skipped GW2, even though the entire artwork is much, much more appealing. Learned later about GW2 and, well, here I am, the one and only MMORPG for me.

Also, not sure if I would ever played GW or liked it, since the Asura are so close yet so far: **UNPLAYABLE**...

Excelsior.

My friends at work tried to get me into WoW but I chose Guild Wars instead. I liked the box art and I thought pre-searing Ascalon was simply beautiful. Oh the horror when I jumped forward in time and my beloved Ascalon was a hardly-recognizable wasteland!

My friends tried GW and didn't like it but I stuck with it. I didn't play a ton but I did finish all campaigns on my Elementalist main. I did later play WoW and enjoyed that as well.

> @Zedek.8932 said:

> I remember joking about the name of it a bit and the font looked weird, like another Prince of Persia.

> Also skipped GW2, even though the entire artwork is much, much more appealing. Learned later about GW2 and, well, here I am, the one and only MMORPG for me.

>

> Also, not sure if I would ever played GW or liked it, since the Asura are so close yet so far: **UNPLAYABLE**...

>

> Excelsior.

You can semi-play as Vekk if you micro your heroes.

I will never forget the feeling I had when exploring Ascalon, thought it was the prettiest game world I'd ever seen. Then the Searing happened and I literally wanted to cry.

So, yep, played it a lot, bought all the add-on discs and manuals, too. My prize GW possession is the 2007 PCGamer special issue "Ultimate Guild Wars Guide." It's mostly artwork with a few articles like "The Secrets of Guild Wars 2 Revealed!" =)