Looking for some guidance.

Despair.7865

Hello there friends!

I'm commonly known as Despair online. I've been an avid player of many MMORPG's throughout my life, most notably being World of Warcraft. I've recently stumbled upon Guild Wars through a recommendation of a friend and I've absolutely fallen in love with the style of the game. But, my friend has now become a past friend. We don't speak anymore, which leaves me **completely clueless** when it comes to the game.

I purchased Path of Fire & Heart of Thorns both and I was talked into using both boosts on characters to play max content with him. This quickly turned into a mistake, as those characters feel so weird to me. I don't really know what I'm doing and I know that I'm playing them horribly. The classes are a; **Ranger and Elementalist**. I want to like them, I really do. But I don't.

Now on for what I'm looking for. I'm hopefully trying to find someone who's friendly, willing to answer some very dumb questions that I may or may not have, listen to my small rants and my numerous outbreaks of happiness when I find something interesting.

I hope I can find a few people who will help me adjust and learn more about this game.

Well the good news is the community in this game is very friendly so finding people to help shouldn't be difficult. My advice is to find a guild, either one aimed at helping new players or just one open to answering your questions. But also feel free to ask any question you have on this forum and we'll try to answer them.

The Wiki is another great tool. It's written and edited entirely by players so occasionally things may be missing or unclear (but if that happens please let us know so we can fix it) but there's a lot of great info there.

As far as what to do with your characters I recommend keeping the ones you've boosted to 80, but also starting a new one (either a ranger or an ele would be a good choice since you want to learn those professions) to level from scratch. That will help you get used to the game and how your professions work, and then when you feel ready you can switch back to the level 80's so you can explore freely without worrying about being the right level for what you want to do.

> @Danikat.8537 said:

> As far as what to do with your characters I recommend keeping the ones you've boosted to 80, but also starting a new one (either a ranger or an ele would be a good choice since you want to learn those professions) to level from scratch. That will help you get used to the game and how your professions work, and then when you feel ready you can switch back to the level 80's so you can explore freely without worrying about being the right level for what you want to do.

I've been leveling a warrior currently and I'm enjoying it a nice bit. I've been on edge trying to level up quick so I can experience the new expansion but some people told me to slow down and not worry about PoF at all until I finish the personal story, living stories, and all of the HoT maps.

If story is important to you, then finishing Personal Story, (reading/watching Living World Season one recaps), Living World Season Two, Heart of Thorns and Living World Season Three first would be the way to go.

If story is not that important, you could skip all that and move right to Path of Fire as soon as you feel comfortable with your max level character(s). I do suggest leveling one (or two) character naturally, first, as that affords you access to all the leveling tutorial tips and rewards.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck! :grin:

If you wish to keep using the boosted characters but feel you need to become more familiar with them you have a number of options.

Metabattle.com has reams of builds. It will at least give you an idea of how to build your character.

Youtube.com has plenty of GW2 related videos. Search for gw2+class and you should find some guides.

The PvP lobby has both dummies and NPCs for you to practice on. The gear is free there, so it's a great place to try things out.

You are also welcome to add me in game using the above username. I'd be happy to show you the basics.

> @Despair.7865 said:

> Hello there friends!

>

> I'm commonly known as Despair online. I've been an avid player of many MMORPG's throughout my life, most notably being World of Warcraft. I've recently stumbled upon Guild Wars through a recommendation of a friend and I've absolutely fallen in love with the style of the game. But, my friend has now become a past friend. We don't speak anymore, which leaves me **completely clueless** when it comes to the game.

>

> I purchased Path of Fire & Heart of Thorns both and I was talked into using both boosts on characters to play max content with him. This quickly turned into a mistake, as those characters feel so weird to me. I don't really know what I'm doing and I know that I'm playing them horribly. The classes are a; **Ranger and Elementalist**. I want to like them, I really do. But I don't.

>

> Now on for what I'm looking for. I'm hopefully trying to find someone who's friendly, willing to answer some very kitten questions that I may or may not have, listen to my small rants and my numerous outbreaks of happiness when I find something interesting.

>

> I hope I can find a few people who will help me adjust and learn more about this game.

I find players very helpful in game, just ask in map channel and most of the times you get some helpful responses.

Personally I don't look at chat box a lot as I am too busy killing something :)

If you are like me and enjoy chatting about the game when you are not actually in the game (at work, on the road,...) then join my Discord text chat:

discord: https://discord.gg/58nMVjm

to chat, socialize and plan before meeting ingame