PvP Discussion: Miscellaneous

> @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > @Cynz.9437 said:

> > Are there any plans for dueling in this game?

> > I am talking about dueling anywhere, everywhere ( i mean pve zones/HotM/cities). Example wow: you can right click a person and invite them to a duel. If they accept, you and your opponent become hostile to each other (other players obviously can't attack or support you) and duel ends when one of you got killed, ran out of duel area bounds (XY units from dueling point start) or typed /forfeit.

> >

> > Reasoning for it:

> > - no need for dueling servers anymore -> no need for instances -> no issue with full dueling servers.

> > - dueling is usually the first step into pvp. I have played many games in the past and it was always the same, people watch other duel, get interested and try it themselves. Then they get friends from dueling, get introduced to pvp and play matches together -> more players in pvp. The nice thing about it, you can do it to have some fun in main cities and for entertaining purposes as well as to kill time between matches.

>

> We talk about it every once in a while. Most of us aren't opposed to it. We'd have to do it in a way that doesn't become disruptive, so I don't think I'd want it enabled everywhere. It's also more work than people realize, so continually gets backlogged before we start thinking about it more seriously.

Dueling is a lot of fun and trully pushes a lot of players into PvP.

There are a couple of open world arenas that could be used for this. One near the Shatterer, one in the 1st Charr map.

Also, what do you mean by disrupting?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many of us are wondering what the pvp team is actually doing since it's a team and we haven't seen really that much content in terms of new pvp content throughout the years. I think it would be positive for the community to open up some questions many of us have right now.

So the questions are:

1. What is the pvp teams job do and how many people are on the team?

2. Does the team work fulltime on pvp?

3. What kind of schedule do you have for stuff for pvp?

4. Do you have multiple new maps and stuff waiting to be released with all this time pvp team has had? (if not, what has drained all the development time?)

Thanks in advance.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Morwath.9817" said:

> Ben, Quaggan wonders if we could get casting bars, like we had in GW1.

> Quaggan believes there are many reasons, why we should get them:

> 1. They make game more clear*.

> *Even if Quaggan could recognize all animations in 1v1, he won't be able to do so in larger fights, especially with so many red circles and special effects.

> 2. They are good for learning for new players.

> 3. They make spectating and commentating much easier** and interesting.

> **Quaggan does remember when during one of World Series, commentator (was it Jebro?), at certain moment was like "what has happened?", same consternation was on twitch chat...

I can see why people would want them. I personally am not great at recognizing animations. But I don't think it's something would be a high priority.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Chrury.4627" said:

> > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > >

> > > Can you elaborate why Rune of the Scourge was not included with the other profession runes?

> >

> > The tier 6 bonus of Gain a barrier when you are struck while below the 50% health threshold. We didn't want to add more passive buffs to PvP.

>

> Are you considering removing other similar runes then? Rune of Earth, Forgeman, and Svanir apply Magnetic Aura, Protection, and Frost Aura respectively at the same health threshold and similar cooldowns/durations. That's also ignoring the more offensive runes that instead steal health or apply a Fire Aura.

>

> I'm pretty sure they aren't used too often but the apparent inconsistency in rulings mess with my OCD a bit.

Maybe. Cal and I have talked about doing a Rune pass, but it's consistently been moved to lower priority as other things have popped up.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Crinn.7864" said:

> > > @bluri.2653 said:

> > > Is there anything regarding pvp rank? Right now it doesnt really do anything except up to r80

> >

> > We haven't talked about it since making the original change to display ranks above 80. I had an original design from right around when I joined the PvP team do some additional markers on your dragon icon, but in the end felt like I was starting to add complication with little gain.

> >

> > What kind of things would you guys like to see?

>

> How about a title that is your rank number?

>

> So the title would be like "rank 165" and the title updates everytime you go up in rank?

>

We would have to get new tech to do this in a way that doesn't make title selection look really bad. It's not something I'd see us prioritizing.

> > @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > Ben, Quaggan wonders if we could get casting bars, like we had in GW1.

> > Quaggan believes there are many reasons, why we should get them:

> > 1. They make game more clear*.

> > *Even if Quaggan could recognize all animations in 1v1, he won't be able to do so in larger fights, especially with so many red circles and special effects.

> > 2. They are good for learning for new players.

> > 3. They make spectating and commentating much easier** and interesting.

> > **Quaggan does remember when during one of World Series, commentator (was it Jebro?), at certain moment was like "what has happened?", same consternation was on twitch chat...

>

> I can see why people would want them. I personally am not great at recognizing animations. But I don't think it's something would be a high priority.

Honestly, I would consider it as top priority QoL change, but it's good to hear we could get them in future, even if it isn't near future.

I would like a new way of seeing conditions/boons that made it easier to spot the ones you care about, the way I would like to see this implemented is: Where we currently see boons/conditions, we would instead have all the icons there, shown at all times, but grayed out, then being colored while the boons/condition is there, so that key boons/conditions like stability/resistance/chill/immob etc are always in the same spot. Such a system would preferably be toggleable.

> > @Exedore.6320 said:

> > **Communication about Balance**

> > Would it be possible for ANet Devs to comment on balance-related PvP concerns at a high level when problems arise? Just a simple acknowledgement of the problems the players are posting about is fine, and maybe some ideas on what needs adjusted broadly. For example, "Scourge can apply too many conditions too quickly; we're looking at smoothing the damage out over a longer period of time."

> >

> > **PvP Stat System**

> > Can we move to a multi-item stat system, such as an amulet and two rings (50/25/25 or similar split)? It has so many advantages and no appreciable negatives:

> > * More customization to better fit builds. Low HP professions can get some extra HP; you can get a little toughness instead of none or a ton, etc.

> > * Less stat combos needed overall

> > * 4-stat items and their power creep (+220 stats over 3-stat amulets) can safely be phased out

> > * No less confusing than the current PvP gear system

> > * Overly defensive builds can still be restricted by limiting what combos are available in what slot.

> >

> > Is there a design reason that the current amulet system is favored?

>

> We've talked about it before. Most recently a couple months ago. There is a lot of internal debate on whether it would really gain us more build diversity or if people would just use the same builds. The proposed idea we had was that we'd reduce the stats of amulets by some percentage and then add a second item with the same stat combinations that people could mix and match.

>

> Some of the feedback we received was that we could also do this by adding more amulets. Though, in my opinion, the new system might be easier to maintain. It's just a fair amount of up front work.

This looks familiar :thinking:

Four comments:

1) It is hard for Joe Newbie Pver to _find_ spvp (or wvw for that matter), it's an obscure button on the UI or asura gate in lion's arch. No NPC I've encountered mention either game mode.

2) The game mode exists in the Mists along with Fractals and wvw. I think one of the mistlock instabilities is related to skyhammer, which is a nice touch, but there is no fractal themed spvp map or spvp/wvw themed fractal! So many cool ways this could be done. Imagine the Social Awkwardness instability as a spvp map mechanic.

3) A lot of the amulet stat combos that exist in spvp would be a lot of fun outside spvp, for example the stat distribution for Demolisher's or Mender's are impossible to get using pve stat types.

4) I've noticed far too many of my spvp matches are over within 2-3 minutes, but just have to play out. Either my team is winning and curbstomping the enemy, or my team is melting on contact and we're getting steamrolled. Neither one is fun and they're common enough where I have a hard time making myself play the game mode.

This is kinda unrelated, it is about the open arena at heart of the mists.

I wasn't playing when I heard it was being implemented, naturally I got somewhat happy. However what we got is very, very bad underwhelming and boring.

Tbh I expected something like the guild arena. Flat and huge in size. That's the main problem with it. Feels too confined, and small. Even the old circular arena in the old HotM was bigger and cooler! This one is tiny, square-ish and gray.

There's a lot of free space in the mists. It surely wouldn't be hard to add a very large area. Large enough so people can have duels without others randomly hitting you with aoe, and less cluster overall.

Of all possible visual implementations, I think this is undoubtedly one of the worst. I can think of dozens of cool assets one could put in a FFA arena, but instead you guys went with the most boring one. It's basically a tennis court sized square surrounded by some apartments. No pillars, no LoS things, no lore related anything, no ground visuals, nothing. Looks like a jail -_-

> > @"Morwath.9817" said:

> > Ben, Quaggan wonders if we could get casting bars, like we had in GW1.

> > Quaggan believes there are many reasons, why we should get them:

> > 1. They make game more clear*.

> > *Even if Quaggan could recognize all animations in 1v1, he won't be able to do so in larger fights, especially with so many red circles and special effects.

> > 2. They are good for learning for new players.

> > 3. They make spectating and commentating much easier** and interesting.

> > **Quaggan does remember when during one of World Series, commentator (was it Jebro?), at certain moment was like "what has happened?", same consternation was on twitch chat...

>

> I can see why people would want them. I personally am not great at recognizing animations. But I don't think it's something would be a high priority.

This is an absolutely brilliant idea. Please do this, it might be a revolution. Casting times are extremely short in gw2 viz-a-viz gw1...**( And there is a kitten ton of passive immunity. In gw1 you can be immune, but you have to trade not being able to attack while you're immune. That's a much better system.)** but a casting bar might actually boost interrupt into being a thing. Oh, wait.. that could reduce spam and face rolling.

> > > @Exedore.6320 said:

> > > **Communication about Balance**

> > > Would it be possible for ANet Devs to comment on balance-related PvP concerns at a high level when problems arise? Just a simple acknowledgement of the problems the players are posting about is fine, and maybe some ideas on what needs adjusted broadly. For example, "Scourge can apply too many conditions too quickly; we're looking at smoothing the damage out over a longer period of time."

> > >

> > > **PvP Stat System**

> > > Can we move to a multi-item stat system, such as an amulet and two rings (50/25/25 or similar split)? It has so many advantages and no appreciable negatives:

> > > * More customization to better fit builds. Low HP professions can get some extra HP; you can get a little toughness instead of none or a ton, etc.

> > > * Less stat combos needed overall

> > > * 4-stat items and their power creep (+220 stats over 3-stat amulets) can safely be phased out

> > > * No less confusing than the current PvP gear system

> > > * Overly defensive builds can still be restricted by limiting what combos are available in what slot.

> > >

> > > Is there a design reason that the current amulet system is favored?

> >

> > We've talked about it before. Most recently a couple months ago. There is a lot of internal debate on whether it would really gain us more build diversity or if people would just use the same builds. The proposed idea we had was that we'd reduce the stats of amulets by some percentage and then add a second item with the same stat combinations that people could mix and match.

> >

> > Some of the feedback we received was that we could also do this by adding more amulets. Though, in my opinion, the new system might be easier to maintain. It's just a fair amount of up front work.

/ForumFireShieldActivated

In my experience of Cele DD Ele era, incorporating more amulets would be better than incorporating additional accessories. Partly being, Celestial amulet never got balanced. Ever. It's why it got removed then added later (due to popularity) with a nerf in stats.

Is there going to be an update to Action Camera? I've used it and prefer it to the normal camera but certain skill do not function correctly like Revenant's Phase Traversal and the new Deathstrike. I'm almost certain other skills like Thief's Infiltrator's Strike and Guardian's Judge's Intervention are affected too.

I can get around this by binding a hotkey to temporarily disable and re-enable it but they require babysitting and breaking a rather intuitive, ergonomic camera mode. I know it was a "pet-project" but it has great potential and it'd be a shame if it's put on the pile of abandoned features. I would ultimately love to lay back and play with a controller but this bug is the main thing that's stopping me. It also might bring in more casual console players who prefer the game controller interface.

I got one simple request, an animation.

A big dome animation around a not opend portal.

Specifics;

only the mesmer creating one end of the portal can see the dome

the dome is EXACTLY as big as the portal range

the dome disapears after the mesmer uses the portal

the dome is just slightly visible (eg like a ground animation or a reflection dome)

Reason, a visual guide that shows where the portal will still work and where it won't work

That way mesmers can utilize their portals in a more organic and fun way instead of learning the range on every single map and losing a game, just because you miscalculated the portal distance by a few steps

There was a mention of creating a website for PvP related stuff, but I think this shouldn't be out of the game. As I stated many times before in different topics, there are many elements that have to be looked at if we want a better PvP experience. One of them is an access to information for players, especially those who are new to the game mode.

PvE takes care of balance but I think that what I am about to suggest is what PvP devs could do. To create an npc or an additonal fold in PvP interface, like a compendium of PvP related terminology (maybe tips and basic tactics). We can all cooperate on creating such a database that would be easy and quick to use in a blink of an eye. We know that new players don't want to or don't know how to look for PvP stuff out of the game. If we had such an option to have a, let's call it "PvP dictionary" it might be easier for all of us to see on what principles and terminology PvP rolls around. Things such as: rotation, focus, node, close(home), mid, far.... maybe some shortcuts as "inc" (incoming). Encouraging to use the team chat for planning strategies, sharing tips during loading screens. If new players had access to such information, they would be more likely to get better at the game more efficiently.

I do believe that the dedicated part of PvP playerbase could also add some information to it through this forum for devs to revise. Perhaps to see if some new tips or tactics could be added to the new compendium.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Cynz.9437" said:

> Not sure if it was mentioned already, but can you make it so we can close map window after it pops after queue pop window? It is kind of annoying sitting there with middle of your screen blocked by map selection.

Yeah, I added that one to the backlog a while ago. I don't think anyone is happy with the current behavior.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217" said:

> This is about as "miscellaneous" as it gets, but can you see about getting "Pile of Silky Sand" added to the 'consume all' designation? I pretty much want to kill myself after completing Maguuma Wastes reward track

I'll ask whoever worked on 'consume all' if there is a reason it was left out.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Set.7461" said:

> Is there going to be an update to Action Camera? I've used it and prefer it to the normal camera but certain skill do not function correctly like Revenant's Phase Traversal and the new Deathstrike. I'm almost certain other skills like Thief's Infiltrator's Strike and Guardian's Judge's Intervention are affected too.

>

> I can get around this by binding a hotkey to temporarily disable and re-enable it but they require babysitting and breaking a rather intuitive, ergonomic camera mode. I know it was a "pet-project" but it has great potential and it'd be a shame if it's put on the pile of abandoned features. I would ultimately love to lay back and play with a controller but this bug is the main thing that's stopping me. It also might bring in more casual console players who prefer the game controller interface.

I can forward this on to the programmers responsible for action cam.

> > @"Set.7461" said:

> > Is there going to be an update to Action Camera? I've used it and prefer it to the normal camera but certain skill do not function correctly like Revenant's Phase Traversal and the new Deathstrike. I'm almost certain other skills like Thief's Infiltrator's Strike and Guardian's Judge's Intervention are affected too.

> >

> > I can get around this by binding a hotkey to temporarily disable and re-enable it but they require babysitting and breaking a rather intuitive, ergonomic camera mode. I know it was a "pet-project" but it has great potential and it'd be a shame if it's put on the pile of abandoned features. I would ultimately love to lay back and play with a controller but this bug is the main thing that's stopping me. It also might bring in more casual console players who prefer the game controller interface.

>

> I can forward this on to the programmers responsible for action cam.

Just want to say whoever is responsible for the action camera single handedly persuaded me to buy this game. Thank you!

When you reintroduced Celestial amulet, you guys said that if the new reduced stat count on the amulet was to harsh you might consider increase it's stat totals. The current 460 stat amulet is definitely not useful for anyone. Are there any plans for increasing Celestial's stat value in the future?

> > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > > @"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:

> > > > @Vancho.8750 said:

> > > > Will there be new amulets, sigils and runes any time soon?

> > >

> > > We just released a batch of new amulets not too long ago. And did a big sigil rework in May. I'm sure we'll do additional revisions, but not in the near future.

> >

> > Can you elaborate why Rune of the Scourge was not included with the other profession runes?

>

> The tier 6 bonus of Gain a barrier when you are struck while below the 50% health threshold. We didn't want to add more passive buffs to PvP.

What about changing it's 6pc bonus? It wouldn't be the first time a rune had it's 6pc bonus changed for PvP. (see vamp runes)

Right now there is a definitive lack of runes with healing power and condition damage. Also having a rune that interacts with barrier in some manner would be nice given that there are several classes with barrier access now.