Your Opinion on: Ways to implement new 1v1 mechanics (Duels)

pola.5832

> @"pola.5832" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > If the poll is any indication, the suggestion doesn't look very popular, with 2-to-1 against (at the time of this posting).

>

> Yeah LUL Its 3>1 RN... i was hoping for it to be a balanced poll, but people really doesn't like to fight other people 1v1 in this community, sad. The worst part is there is not any reasonable facts besides "it would get toxic!!" or "i don't like pvp!". The first being totally possible but easily avoidable, and the second one being selfish about it with people that actually want it in the game. But its fine the majority rules.

Again, it's up to _you_ making the suggestion to explain how this would make the game better for _everyone_. It's a lot of work to make your idea happen.

* If avoiding toxicity were "easily avoidable," why do we see so much in PvP and WvW, even on the moderated forums?

* How is "I don't like PvP in PvE" any more selfish than "I want more PvP in PvE"?

The point is that dueling is a personal preference of a minority of players. That doesn't mean ANet shouldn't do it, but it does mean that the benefits have to be really strong to make it worth the extra effort. It also means that ANet needs to spend extra energy to make sure that there aren't any downsides for the majority.

Similarly, I agree that some people are irrationally afraid of dueling coming to PvE, but it's equally true that some dueling supporters are irrationally dismissive of the change in tone that comes with bringing competition into cooperative zones. The fact that so many people express concern about it (including specific examples) indicates that it is something that ANet would have to deal with, and that increases the cost of designing and implementing a system. It also is horribly easy to get wrong, which would have a huge impact.

I'm not against the possibility of dueling; I just don't see that anyone has made the case that it would make the game better for non-duelers, especially since there's strong indicators of a big risk to the tenor of player interactions if dueling were added.

They could probably add something within the Heart of the Mist.

There's no need to add duels in PvE or WvW, because there's no balance in terms of equipment, consumables, infusions, etc..

It would also be a way to see if players do really want to enjoy 1v1 fights or just pretend to 1v1 regardless the balance.

Back in the original Guild Wars, ArenaNed added a new PvP game mode: Hero vs Hero. A player and 3 heroes would fight against another player and his/her own 3 heroes.

Months later, ArenaNet removed Hero vs Hero from the game.

They removed an entire PvP mode.

Mostly, because it was not balanced, because it was easily exploitable, and because the core mechanics of the format were bad. You can read about it [here](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero_Battles).

The same things apply to dueling. It would not be balanced, it would be easily exploitable, and its core mechanics are simply bad. It's the kind of thing that would be wasted effort, an effort ArenaNet could use for something more productive instead.