Gliding vs Griffon

I've noticed some people being somewhat defensive about the griffon displacing gliding in the game especially if they were to add support for updrafts or dismount while in the air to the griffon. I was farming Bloodstone Fen and it got to me thinking that they could keep gliding relevant if they made the glider combat skills from Bloodstone Fen available across Tyria but power/range adjusted for the level of the maps.

That would be nice. Possibly getting a little closer to P2W, though.

One other advantage the glider does have now is, you can freely jump off a cliff and glide to safety from overwhelming enemy attack. I believe you can't mount your griffon in mid-air till you get out of range of the enemies targeting you, which might be too late.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> That would be nice. Possibly getting a little closer to P2W, though.

>

> One other advantage the glider does have now is, you can freely jump off a cliff and glide to safety from overwhelming enemy attack. I believe you can't mount your griffon in mid-air till you get out of range of the enemies targeting you, which might be too late.

wrooong

get the mastery and mount mid-air :)

> @"Aetatis.5418" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > That would be nice. Possibly getting a little closer to P2W, though.

> >

> > One other advantage the glider does have now is, you can freely jump off a cliff and glide to safety from overwhelming enemy attack. I believe you can't mount your griffon in mid-air till you get out of range of the enemies targeting you, which might be too late.

>

> wrooong

> get the mastery and mount mid-air :)

Actually, they are correct. You cannot mount while in combat. But you can glide while in combat.

> @"Aetatis.5418" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > That would be nice. Possibly getting a little closer to P2W, though.

> >

> > One other advantage the glider does have now is, you can freely jump off a cliff and glide to safety from overwhelming enemy attack. I believe you can't mount your griffon in mid-air till you get out of range of the enemies targeting you, which might be too late.

>

> wrooong

> get the mastery and mount mid-air :)

He said you still can't mount during combat mid-air, which is true if I recall. With that said, glider + griffon combo makes it nigh impossible to die from a fall.

One solution to the Griffon vs Gliding conundrum would be to actually add HoT masteries as alternatives to mounts, but Anet has clearly already chosen to not go down that path. E.g we could have updrafts in places that are also accessible by Griffon, mushrooms around places accessible by the springer, etc.

> @"maxwelgm.4315" said:

> One solution to the Griffon vs Gliding conundrum would be to actually add HoT masteries as alternatives to mounts, but Anet has clearly already chosen to not go down that path. E.g we could have updrafts in places that are also accessible by Griffon, mushrooms around places accessible by the springer, etc.

As much as it'd be pay-to-win or something to combine aspects from both expansions, it'd be sweeeet to see interactions between mounts and HoT masteries:

Griffons + Updrafts

Springers gaining extra height from bouncy mushrooms

Sand doggos getting some benefit from Nuhoch Wallows

etc.

But 'tis just a whim.