Watchwork Portal Device complaint

Kirito.9027

I accidentally purchased this item today without realizing it was a one-time consumable.

After purchasing it, I used it, then dropped it, expecting it to still be in my inventory as an item I can re-use again later. But after re-reading the description, I discovered that this item was a one-time use item.

For 100 snowflakes and 35,000 Karma, I wouldn't expect this to be a consumable. I submitted a support ticket to see if there's any way I can get it refunded being that I didn't actually "use" the item, but I'm not sure anything will be able to done about it.

I'd like to suggest that some kind of red-text warning be added to this item, or some kind of emphasis be made to highlight that this is a one-time use item so others don't make the same mistake as me. It's certainly not a fun way to kick off Wintersday.

I completely agree with you, which is why I jumped all over it. But it's at the point where it's way too expensive for a single-use consumable as well.

I mean, I can get an Experimental Teleportation Gun for a silver or so. Obviously not the same thing, but still. Paying so much karma and snowflakes for something that can be used a single time is really harsh.

I'm not against the warning, but this feels like a "buyer beware" scenario rather than a major issue requiring a dev solution. Are there any cheap gizmos that are permanent? How many cheap gizmos in the game warn that they have a limited number of uses?

Besides that, the description implies limited use:

> Double-click to receive a bundle item that can create a portal between two locations.

Again, I'm not against changing the text; I just think it's very, very low priority.

I use these portals on my engineer, because I do not really like to travel the world with my mesmer. Out of Wintersday, crafting them is a true nightmare:

- 5 Orchialcum Ingots

- 1 Charged Lodestone

- 250 Watchwork Sprokets

- 2 Master Tuning Crystals

When they first released the alternative aquisition during wintersday, I was very happy. Back then 100 Flawless Snowflakes + 35k Karma. The point of these portals is, to use them wisely and not spam them like those drunk mesmers. There are certain siutations, those portals are a great help. They served me well, helping friends and guildmembers to aquire certain griffon-collection items. I accept the ridiculous price, even for a single use item. Because the alternative for me would be, to play a mesmer as main. The 2nd alternative would be purchasing the infinite-use version for magnetide shards. But with my current raid experience, I would have enough shards arround february 2028. It is an expensive gizmo, but I like to use it and I am grateful for the opportunity in wintersday.

I hope for OP, that he gets his money back.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was permanent as well, because it doesn't tell you that it is consumable like every other item that is consumable! That and the fact that it's sitting just above a cheaper item that IS permanent, make it very hard to tell. I dropped mine just to test it, and am not at all happy for obvious reasons. Shouldn't have to wiki every single thing just to figure it out.

Seems cheap enough to me at the current price. These are supposed to be special and only used in rare situations. There is a reason why the White Mantle Portal Device while unlimited has a huge cooldown in comparison to the mesmer skill. Not that I am not opposed to the addition of a clear message to indicate the one time use of it.

I thought it was permanent and heard there WAS a one time use one. I didn't think this was the same thing for the price it was of 35,000 karma and snowflakes especially how random it was.

I just decided not to get it "just in case" as I didn't know if it was permanent or not as I didn't want to waste all that karma and snowflakes on a one time only thing.

Now I learn it's one time only thanks to this topic.

it seems pretty clear to me that it isn't permanent, and I'm glad the single use one exists because I prefer that version.

while the permanent one seems better, it has a 30 minute cooldown. the single use version has a 90 second cooldown. huge difference. plus there is so much karma you can get from everything wintersday that 35k isn't really a thing while the festival is on.