Interacting on Mounts

Nope, never.

Official statement is that mounts collide with prePoF content. So they had the choice of disabling mounts in prePoF content, or dismount on every action.

At least they managed to connect some interactions by the special action key. And maybe in the future we'll say more interaction like gathering through the special action key.

But regular interaction causes the game to crash. So we'll not ever get that.

Anets spaghetti code. We all love spaghetti-ohs

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> It also avoid having half a dozen mounts obstructing the point you need to activate, or the NPC you want to talk to.

Actually, not having to get off your mount will save time in getting away from activation points or NPCs once accessed.

You walk up, do your thing and leave. How many times do you stand around an activation point on a quest or farming node? Right now we fly through waypoints and points of interest, why not be able to talk to some one mounted?

I suspect it's partly a programming nightmare and partly a game design decision to distinguish "full speed" from "participate speed." I'm okay with the inconvenience because even with having to re-mount and sometimes being slowed down by combat, this is still leaps and bounds (erm pardon the expression) more efficient than what we had pre-PoF. Grabbing frozen chests in Bitterfrost is smooth sailing now, whereas before, it felt like it took ages.

Perhaps in a year I'll end up feeling impatient enough to worry about the delay. For now, I'm very happy at the current speed of travel/interact.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > It also avoid having half a dozen mounts obstructing the point you need to activate, or the NPC you want to talk to.

>

> Actually, not having to get off your mount will save time in getting away from activation points or NPCs once accessed.

> You walk up, do your thing and leave. How many times do you stand around an activation point on a quest or farming node? Right now we fly through waypoints and points of interest, why not be able to talk to some one mounted?

So you don't read the dialogs with npcs? you don't visit the bank to sort things? Don't choose things you are going to buy from vendors? Your toon doesn't use any animation while farming stuff? How do you locate nodes? Don't you look at them? What about mastery points, chests and vistas? How do you locate them if you are inside a mass of 6 springers mixed into a ball of pixels?

Having played WoW where someone riding a Mammoth thought it would be fun to stand over the post box, where you have to click on the box to access your mail, which contains anything sent from the Auction House, I am more than happy to accept the dismounts to interact with things. It may not stop these trolls but it does help a lot.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > It also avoid having half a dozen mounts obstructing the point you need to activate, or the NPC you want to talk to.

> >

> > Actually, not having to get off your mount will save time in getting away from activation points or NPCs once accessed.

> > You walk up, do your thing and leave. How many times do you stand around an activation point on a quest or farming node? Right now we fly through waypoints and points of interest, why not be able to talk to some one mounted?

>

> So you don't read the dialogs with npcs? you don't visit the bank to sort things? Don't choose things you are going to buy from vendors? Your toon doesn't use any animation while farming stuff? How do you locate nodes? Don't you look at them? What about mastery points, chests and vistas? How do you locate them if you are inside a mass of 6 springers mixed into a ball of pixels?

MP, vistas, and chests are all linked to a hot key that pops up when I'm close regardless how many people are around it. I walk up and an interact [F] allows me not not care where the item is in relation to where I'm standing.

I've only had an issue of too many people in a single spot during MP or HP trains where you have to land on a specific location, but people haven't moved yet.

I've only had an issue finding nodes on the ground when its partially camouflaged (onions, flax, etc).

its a problem in world of warcraft. devs have to put invisible walls around very important npcs for content releases. otherwise you'll get people standing on giant mounts blocking people accessing npcs. just be thankful we dont need to stand still and cast a mount spell for 1.5seconds

As others have mentioned the visual clutter is probably a part of why dismounts happen, and I'm in favour of not having a stack of mounts blocking everything in the world, so I hope it stays that way.

But also I still think having mounts standing around everywhere hurts performance (at least in my case seems like fps in cities etc has been a little worse since mounts were introduced)(Though PoF maps are horrendously worse than everywhere else for me), so again I'd rather they leave it so people get dismounted if talking to npcs etc.

I see the dismount as a game play feature. You get off the mount to interact and before you're done you get hit by a nearby hostile. Now you're in combat and can't remount and leave. Plan your approach on the way - attack first, kill everything, then interact. Or dismount at a distance and try to avoid hostiles on the way in. There are some spots where it's difficult to be left alone long enough to finish mining or viewing. Being required to dismount first makes these situations more interesting.

As for vendors, mounts would just become the new Wings, and who wants that?