Where's Zojja?

Chorne.8195

It's been two years since we last got _any_ news on her. How long is she going to be shelved? We've seen all the surviving Destiny's Edge members recently except for her. Why? Are the Asura going to have a bigger role soon? Was there some complication with the voice actor? Is she just going to end up on the sidelines for the rest of GW2? I actually really liked her, and she has had almost no mention since HoT. A few researchers gossiping that she's gone mad, which I don't believe.

There was a topic about this on the General section of the forum and I had made a post in it. I think a copy/paste should suffice.

> @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> In a past AMA on Reddit, one of the devs said that we haven't seen the last of her so I mean there's that at least.

>

>

>

> I do agree with you though and I'm of course biased as she's one of my favorite NPC's in the game. How Anet has handled her has been really poor considering all we have is a cliffhanger and hearsay regarding her condition. We don't really know if her blindness is permanent and we don't really know what state she's in because the PC never visits her.

>

> I honestly hope when she does show up again that the PC and Dragon's Watch (especially Rytlock) get a verbal backlash from her because it's deserved, in my opinion.

Expanding on the last sentence, the reason I hope for a verbal backlash is because 1) there's really no excuse for the lack of visits; I don't care how busy the new guild is; make time to visit; and 2) dissolving Destiny's Edge while her and Logan were out was, in my opinion, a low blow, a massive betrayal. There should be consequences for dissolving Destiny's Edge in favor of making Dragon's Watch. It's high time the PC and Rytlock face some honest-to-God repercussions for their actions and decisions for once instead of skating through everything unscathed.

To add to this, I hope that she does make a comeback in LWS4 seeing as Kralk is active. This would be a perfect time for her to make a return. However, as much as I hope, I expect Anet will drop the ball (again) and either do nothing with her or fudge up her return somehow (by killing her off unceremoniously).

Regarding the voice actor, she had a baby so she was out for a while. She (Felicia Day) also does a lot of stuff but she made a comment on Twitter that she'd love to voice Zojja again, that she's just waiting on Anet.

Also, to reiterate a point I made before people say anything about her condition, **we don't know what condition Zojja is in because we haven't seen her like we have with Logan. Anything Rytlock and the other Asura have said about her in Episode 1 of Living World Season 3 is hearsay and is not reliable.**

**Might include spoilers**

With this whole mess around the Inquest in Daybreak, I think she will be involved into the story- you know her from Personal Story- Kudu, Teyo etc etc.

I did some Asura PS last time to know her and the Inquest, amazing story btw. And I really liked Zojja.

I think she will do something that Snaff couldn't- she will get into Kralk's brain, she will confuse him with the machine that she's been working on for this long break, Taimi will not find the way to immobilize Kralk, Zojja will and this very traumatic situation from Daybreak, I think, will reduce Taimi's appearance in story.

And so Snaff's legacy will be completed after all these years. I thought that PoF will include the last members of Destiny's Edge, because of Kralk, but story was very focused on Balthazar, and I think Logan, Zojja, Caithe and Rytlock will be much more important in this season.

> @"nighthawke.3075" said:

> at this point i think Zojja packed up all her stuff and moved as far as possible from all of these dragons.

Why would she do that? xD She killeded Zhaitan hershelf (remember: she cutted Zhaitan's tail :D).

I think that after this 'spending her wonderful time' in the pod, she will be changed, but not for bad, but for good, I mean, what if she gained some mind powers?

That'd be very interesting!

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"nighthawke.3075" said:

> > at this point i think Zojja packed up all her stuff and moved as far as possible from all of these dragons.

>

> Why would she do that? xD She killeded Zhaitan hershelf (remember: she cutted Zhaitan's tail :D).

>

>

> I think that after this 'spending her wonderful time' in the pod, she will be changed, but not for bad, but for good, I mean, what if she gained some mind powers?

>

> That'd be very interesting!

It was scarcastic. ;)

However its a nice bit of head cannon to make due until the dev's feel like remembering she exists.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> I intentionally saved Zojja first and fast and let Logan to rotten inside the pod. Why is he still out there making me sick with his presence and not Zojja? Arggh!

The real answer is because your choices never mattered, as ANet will ignore them and continue to write their human Commander who does the humanest thing.

An in-lore answer might be Logan's Guardian magic made him more resistant to the blighting than Zojja was.

> @"azureai.9764" said:

> > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > I intentionally saved Zojja first and fast and let Logan to rotten inside the pod. Why is he still out there making me sick with his presence and not Zojja? Arggh!

>

> The real answer is because your choices never mattered, as ANet will ignore them and continue to write their human Commander who does the humanest thing.

>

> An in-lore answer might be Logan's Guardian magic made him more resistant to the blighting than Zojja was.

sylvari commander who does the sylvariest thing.**

Let's face it, Season 3 and Path of Fire was not a human commander. Nor, in all honesty, was the second half of the personal story.

Or the blandest common denominator who gets conflated with whatever race the observer feels is either the most standard or plot-relevant? The behavior of our character in S3 isn't what I'd expect of a human _or_ a sylvari. Or a norn, or a charr, or an asura. They've written a 'hero' who's supposed to transcend all those ties, and, by extension, all those entanglements and loyalties. A sylvari character wouldn't have been such a shitheel to Caithe, their first mentor, especially not when they were going through the same thing she was, nor would they have gone so long without checking in on the Pale Tree themselves. A human character wouldn't have been so blase about one of their gods turning on them, a charr character wouldn't have taken the Shining Blade's oath, and so on.

It'd be cool if they did more race-specific dialogue and etc., though I understand that it is probably a bit time-consuming. I love it when it actually matters what race and profession I am. Like when Rytlock insulted Kasmeer and Mesmers, saying "Yeah, yeah. You guys are almost as bad as elementalists. No offense, Commander." I really liked playing HoT on my Sylvari too because of all the special dialogue and Mordremoth issues. ( Collapsing, voices, etc. )

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much on my Human Thief...

Dialogue and tiny little events are cool, but it'd be impossible to implement large changes to story depending on race. No matter what happens, the Commander will still do the Commander thing.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> Expanding on the last sentence, the reason I hope for a verbal backlash is because 1) there's really no excuse for the lack of visits; I don't care how busy the new guild is; make time to visit; and 2) dissolving Destiny's Edge while her and Logan were out was, in my opinion, a low blow, a massive betrayal. There should be consequences for dissolving Destiny's Edge in favor of making Dragon's Watch. It's high time the PC and Rytlock face some honest-to-God repercussions for their actions and decisions for once instead of skating through everything unscathed.

Braham going off the rails doesn't count? Would Logan still have left Destiny's Edge, Pact Commander responsibilities or not, if the PC and Rytlock hadn't arbitrarily decided to disband it?

Really, there was no reason for the PC and Rytlock not to simply expand Destiny's Edge. Pretty much every "biconic" had some connection to at least two Destiny's Edge members (including the PC) anyway.

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> > Expanding on the last sentence, the reason I hope for a verbal backlash is because 1) there's really no excuse for the lack of visits; I don't care how busy the new guild is; make time to visit; and 2) dissolving Destiny's Edge while her and Logan were out was, in my opinion, a low blow, a massive betrayal. There should be consequences for dissolving Destiny's Edge in favor of making Dragon's Watch. It's high time the PC and Rytlock face some honest-to-God repercussions for their actions and decisions for once instead of skating through everything unscathed.

>

> Braham going off the rails doesn't count? Would Logan still have left Destiny's Edge, Pact Commander responsibilities or not, if the PC and Rytlock hadn't arbitrarily decided to disband it?

>

> Really, there was no reason for the PC and Rytlock not to simply expand Destiny's Edge. Pretty much every "biconic" had some connection to at least two Destiny's Edge members (including the PC) anyway.

I don't think DE ever actually mattered to anyone involved; it was just a name. What actually mattered was the companionship and comradery between the members. With Snaff and Eir KIA, Caithe MIA and Logan/Zojja down as casualties, clinging to the name would just be false and wrong... like clinging onto victories you haven't earned. You'd always be forever tormenting yourself to live up to a name, rather than forging your own path.

It's also important to note that our group looks up to us in the same way we look up to the origional DE (And the origional DE looked up to Eir). Flooding the group with your friends while the other members are taking a break is nothing less than hijacking the guild. Heavy recruiting without building up bonds between the newer and older members never works out well - just try it in your guild.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @"azureai.9764" said:

> > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > I intentionally saved Zojja first and fast and let Logan to rotten inside the pod. Why is he still out there making me sick with his presence and not Zojja? Arggh!

> >

> > The real answer is because your choices never mattered, as ANet will ignore them and continue to write their human Commander who does the humanest thing.

> >

> > An in-lore answer might be Logan's Guardian magic made him more resistant to the blighting than Zojja was.

>

> sylvari commander who does the sylvariest thing.**

>

> Let's face it, Season 3 and Path of Fire was not a human commander. Nor, in all honesty, was the second half of the personal story.

What made the commander not "human" in season 3.

> @"DarcShriek.5829" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > > @"azureai.9764" said:

> > > > @"Ardid.7203" said:

> > > > I intentionally saved Zojja first and fast and let Logan to rotten inside the pod. Why is he still out there making me sick with his presence and not Zojja? Arggh!

> > >

> > > The real answer is because your choices never mattered, as ANet will ignore them and continue to write their human Commander who does the humanest thing.

> > >

> > > An in-lore answer might be Logan's Guardian magic made him more resistant to the blighting than Zojja was.

> >

> > sylvari commander who does the sylvariest thing.**

> >

> > Let's face it, Season 3 and Path of Fire was not a human commander. Nor, in all honesty, was the second half of the personal story.

>

> What made the commander not "human" in season 3.

Mainly the reaction to Balthazar and the lack of empathy regarding the White Mantle situation. The Commander only cared about the White Mantle so much as they were warmongerers that were trying to wreck the world we live on.

Stronghold of the Faithful has a short instance which has one line from the PC which is very clearly fitting the PC's race:

Approaching the Saul D'Alessio statue:

Human squad member: Traitor.

Norn squad member: Saul D'Alessio—drunken gambler.

Charr squad member: So this is the founder of the White Mantle. Huh.

Sylvari squad member: Saul D'Alessio. So you started this mess....

Asura squad member: Saul D'Alessio. I guess we have you to blame for all this.

Not just the words, but the tone of the human PC made the hatred for Saul's legend clear. A norn focuses not on the White Mantle and its deeds, but Saul's personal deeds of being a drunk and a gambler, fitting the individualistic nature of norn, while asura, charr, and sylvari which are more community based all place Saul as founder and puts blame on him for that - "it's his fault this mess started, even if he didn't cause this mess personally" - and charr don't even give the "honor" of naming the founder of a group that thwarted their armies in the past.

Does this ever happen in Season 3? Not. Once. No reference to meeting Caudecus before, nor Demmi for Whispers players, let alone having an opinion about the Legate Minister, his family, or the White Mantle - either personally or about their actions at the time.

This doesn't happen with Balthazar either. We're faced with a generic "treat this guy as some well known mortal", which is the reaction I'd expect solely out of a sylvari, who have been presented as being agnostic since release (the few times religion comes up) - whereas the asura, charr, and norn believe them to be divine but not worth worship, and humans believe them divine and worth worship, the sylvari did not believe them to be divine, worth worship, and questioned if they even existed at all.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > > @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> > > Expanding on the last sentence, the reason I hope for a verbal backlash is because 1) there's really no excuse for the lack of visits; I don't care how busy the new guild is; make time to visit; and 2) dissolving Destiny's Edge while her and Logan were out was, in my opinion, a low blow, a massive betrayal. There should be consequences for dissolving Destiny's Edge in favor of making Dragon's Watch. It's high time the PC and Rytlock face some honest-to-God repercussions for their actions and decisions for once instead of skating through everything unscathed.

> >

> > Braham going off the rails doesn't count? Would Logan still have left Destiny's Edge, Pact Commander responsibilities or not, if the PC and Rytlock hadn't arbitrarily decided to disband it?

> >

> > Really, there was no reason for the PC and Rytlock not to simply expand Destiny's Edge. Pretty much every "biconic" had some connection to at least two Destiny's Edge members (including the PC) anyway.

>

> I don't think DE ever actually mattered to anyone involved; it was just a name. What actually mattered was the companionship and comradery between the members. With Snaff and Eir KIA, Caithe MIA and Logan/Zojja down as casualties, clinging to the name would just be false and wrong... like clinging onto victories you haven't earned. You'd always be forever tormenting yourself to live up to a name, rather than forging your own path.

>

> It's also important to note that our group looks up to us in the same way we look up to the origional DE (And the origional DE looked up to Eir). Flooding the group with your friends while the other members are taking a break is nothing less than hijacking the guild. Heavy recruiting without building up bonds between the newer and older members never works out well - just try it in your guild.

Except that it wouldn't have been like that.

As I mentioned, every biconic has a link to at least one DE beyond the PC. Braham is Eir's son, obviously, Rox has the still-unspecified history with Rytlock from even before she tried to become a member of the Stone warband, Marjory and Kasmeer were both known to Logan beforehand, and I think all of the biconics except Canach and possibly Rox met Logan at some point in Season 1, and IIRC, Taimi was a ward of Zojja for a while. In Season 2 we saw Canach working with Caithe, albeit briefly.

In HoT, of course, the entire group fought alongside Rytlock (as well as the PC), including rescuing Logan and Zojja, and many of which also fought alongside Caithe.

So, to take your guild analogy - it's not just 'your friends'. It's the son of one, the apprentice of another, friends of a few more, who are at least known to everyone in the guild and literally helped save the lives of a couple of members. You'd need a pretty antisocial guild to object to issuing invitations to people that most people in the original complement know and have fought alongside.

As for the "clinging to victories you haven't earned"... I don't think that really applies to how guilds operate in the lore. Generally speaking, the impression I've had is that in Tyria, it's entirely expected for guilds to persist between generations, with the veterans passing on the name to newer recruits. Sure, you can only claim the victories that you yourself participated in, but on the other hand, there is still distinction in being seen to be worthy to carry on the legacy. Real-world battle honours work on a similar principle - obviously no soldier serving today earned battle honours from the world wars, but there is some pride in carrying on the name, which carries with it a desire to avoid sullying that name.

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > > > @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> > > > Expanding on the last sentence, the reason I hope for a verbal backlash is because 1) there's really no excuse for the lack of visits; I don't care how busy the new guild is; make time to visit; and 2) dissolving Destiny's Edge while her and Logan were out was, in my opinion, a low blow, a massive betrayal. There should be consequences for dissolving Destiny's Edge in favor of making Dragon's Watch. It's high time the PC and Rytlock face some honest-to-God repercussions for their actions and decisions for once instead of skating through everything unscathed.

> > >

> > > Braham going off the rails doesn't count? Would Logan still have left Destiny's Edge, Pact Commander responsibilities or not, if the PC and Rytlock hadn't arbitrarily decided to disband it?

> > >

> > > Really, there was no reason for the PC and Rytlock not to simply expand Destiny's Edge. Pretty much every "biconic" had some connection to at least two Destiny's Edge members (including the PC) anyway.

> >

> > I don't think DE ever actually mattered to anyone involved; it was just a name. What actually mattered was the companionship and comradery between the members. With Snaff and Eir KIA, Caithe MIA and Logan/Zojja down as casualties, clinging to the name would just be false and wrong... like clinging onto victories you haven't earned. You'd always be forever tormenting yourself to live up to a name, rather than forging your own path.

> >

> > It's also important to note that our group looks up to us in the same way we look up to the origional DE (And the origional DE looked up to Eir). Flooding the group with your friends while the other members are taking a break is nothing less than hijacking the guild. Heavy recruiting without building up bonds between the newer and older members never works out well - just try it in your guild.

>

> Except that it wouldn't have been like that.

>

> As I mentioned, every biconic has a link to at least one DE beyond the PC. Braham is Eir's son, obviously, Rox has the still-unspecified history with Rytlock from even before she tried to become a member of the Stone warband, Marjory and Kasmeer were both known to Logan beforehand, and I think all of the biconics except Canach and possibly Rox met Logan at some point in Season 1, and IIRC, Taimi was a ward of Zojja for a while. In Season 2 we saw Canach working with Caithe, albeit briefly.

>

> In HoT, of course, the entire group fought alongside Rytlock (as well as the PC), including rescuing Logan and Zojja, and many of which also fought alongside Caithe.

>

> So, to take your guild analogy - it's not just 'your friends'. It's the son of one, the apprentice of another, friends of a few more, who are at least known to everyone in the guild and literally helped save the lives of a couple of members. You'd need a pretty antisocial guild to object to issuing invitations to people that most people in the original complement know and have fought alongside.

>

> As for the "clinging to victories you haven't earned"... I don't think that really applies to how guilds operate in the lore. Generally speaking, the impression I've had is that in Tyria, it's entirely expected for guilds to persist between generations, with the veterans passing on the name to newer recruits. Sure, you can only claim the victories that you yourself participated in, but on the other hand, there is still distinction in being seen to be worthy to carry on the legacy. Real-world battle honours work on a similar principle - obviously no soldier serving today earned battle honours from the world wars, but there is some pride in carrying on the name, which carries with it a desire to avoid sullying that name.

I’m only trying to provide a parallel line of thinking, a viable possibility to explain why the writers might have taken this course of action before calling “LORE BREAK!”

If I remember correctly, the idea of Dragons Watch was proposed by Rytlock himself (with some not-so-helpful naming advice from that norn-child-who-is-totally-not-Livia). I suspect Rytlock saw DE’s failure as something a turning point; a time to let the new generation take over. While some people might consider a namesake as an important heirloom, it could also be perceived as an emotional burden.

As the only active member of Destiny’s Edge, I think Rytlock had the right to call it quits. Eir isn’t around to bring the group together, he couldn’t trust Caithe and Logan/Zojja likely would never return to see active duty again. Rytlock has also shown us a very macho sentimental personality; perhaps he even feels a twinge of regret that he didn’t join the pact’s assault on Mordremoth, when the group needed him most. It would certainly explain why he jumped aboard our crew so readily; serving with us is simply a form of atonement.

In short, I think Rytlock doesn’t consider himself a part of Destiny’s Edge anymore, since he ultimately left his friends to die in the search of some magical sword. Ultimately, he probably views himself as no different from Logan in that regard - and is ultimately trying to run from his failures.

In short, I think Dragons Watch was actually formed because of Rytlock's own insecurities.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > > > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > > > > @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> > > > > Expanding on the last sentence, the reason I hope for a verbal backlash is because 1) there's really no excuse for the lack of visits; I don't care how busy the new guild is; make time to visit; and 2) dissolving Destiny's Edge while her and Logan were out was, in my opinion, a low blow, a massive betrayal. There should be consequences for dissolving Destiny's Edge in favor of making Dragon's Watch. It's high time the PC and Rytlock face some honest-to-God repercussions for their actions and decisions for once instead of skating through everything unscathed.

> > > >

> > > > Braham going off the rails doesn't count? Would Logan still have left Destiny's Edge, Pact Commander responsibilities or not, if the PC and Rytlock hadn't arbitrarily decided to disband it?

> > > >

> > > > Really, there was no reason for the PC and Rytlock not to simply expand Destiny's Edge. Pretty much every "biconic" had some connection to at least two Destiny's Edge members (including the PC) anyway.

> > >

> > > I don't think DE ever actually mattered to anyone involved; it was just a name. What actually mattered was the companionship and comradery between the members. With Snaff and Eir KIA, Caithe MIA and Logan/Zojja down as casualties, clinging to the name would just be false and wrong... like clinging onto victories you haven't earned. You'd always be forever tormenting yourself to live up to a name, rather than forging your own path.

> > >

> > > It's also important to note that our group looks up to us in the same way we look up to the origional DE (And the origional DE looked up to Eir). Flooding the group with your friends while the other members are taking a break is nothing less than hijacking the guild. Heavy recruiting without building up bonds between the newer and older members never works out well - just try it in your guild.

> >

> > Except that it wouldn't have been like that.

> >

> > As I mentioned, every biconic has a link to at least one DE beyond the PC. Braham is Eir's son, obviously, Rox has the still-unspecified history with Rytlock from even before she tried to become a member of the Stone warband, Marjory and Kasmeer were both known to Logan beforehand, and I think all of the biconics except Canach and possibly Rox met Logan at some point in Season 1, and IIRC, Taimi was a ward of Zojja for a while. In Season 2 we saw Canach working with Caithe, albeit briefly.

> >

> > In HoT, of course, the entire group fought alongside Rytlock (as well as the PC), including rescuing Logan and Zojja, and many of which also fought alongside Caithe.

> >

> > So, to take your guild analogy - it's not just 'your friends'. It's the son of one, the apprentice of another, friends of a few more, who are at least known to everyone in the guild and literally helped save the lives of a couple of members. You'd need a pretty antisocial guild to object to issuing invitations to people that most people in the original complement know and have fought alongside.

> >

> > As for the "clinging to victories you haven't earned"... I don't think that really applies to how guilds operate in the lore. Generally speaking, the impression I've had is that in Tyria, it's entirely expected for guilds to persist between generations, with the veterans passing on the name to newer recruits. Sure, you can only claim the victories that you yourself participated in, but on the other hand, there is still distinction in being seen to be worthy to carry on the legacy. Real-world battle honours work on a similar principle - obviously no soldier serving today earned battle honours from the world wars, but there is some pride in carrying on the name, which carries with it a desire to avoid sullying that name.

>

> I’m only trying to provide a parallel line of thinking, a viable possibility to explain why the writers might have taken this course of action before calling “LORE BREAK!”

>

> If I remember correctly, the idea of Dragons Watch was proposed by Rytlock himself (with some not-so-helpful naming advice from that norn-child-who-is-totally-not-Livia). I suspect Rytlock saw DE’s failure as something a turning point; a time to let the new generation take over. While some people might consider a namesake as an important heirloom, it could also be perceived as an emotional burden.

>

> As the only active member of Destiny’s Edge, I think Rytlock had the right to call it quits. Eir isn’t around to bring the group together, he couldn’t trust Caithe and Logan/Zojja likely would never return to see active duty again. Rytlock has also shown us a very macho sentimental personality; perhaps he even feels a twinge of regret that he didn’t join the pact’s assault on Mordremoth, when the group needed him most. It would certainly explain why he jumped aboard our crew so readily; serving with us is simply a form of atonement.

>

> In short, I think Rytlock doesn’t consider himself a part of Destiny’s Edge anymore, since he ultimately left his friends to die in the search of some magical sword. Ultimately, he probably views himself as no different from Logan in that regard - and is ultimately trying to run from his failures.

>

> In short, I think Dragons Watch was actually formed because of Rytlock's own insecurities.

I wouldn't be that harsh about it, but there's certainly a case to be made that the Destiny's Edge name is as much baggage as legacy for the people who actually lived it. Let's face it, they haven't exactly had a successful run, even after our character's intervention. The Zhaitan reunion tour ended up being a one-off before they scattered to the four winds again, and while they did more or less come together for Mordremoth, they suffered another last-minute abandonment, and then the main group went on to accomplish exactly nothing other than playing damsel in distress for us.

I was opposed to dissolving DE at the time (and I _still_ don't like Dragon's Watch), but that's because I thought the others would join up before the end, really for real this time. With Logan turning us down, still no word of Zojja, things still awkward between our character and Caithe, and DW itself an ill-defined mess, that no longer seems likely. For better or for worse, it certainly feels like a different group doing different things now, not a continuation of Destiny's Edge, and in hindsight I think dropping the name was the right call.