anyone else have trouble with lb/gs in spvp

trunks.5249

i main a condi ranger and i thought with my playstyle of zipping around dodging and so on that i would be able to pick up the lb/gs build and make it work good in pvp. however that is not the case at all. dying a lot is an understatement . its hard to explain it just feels like a totally different class i mean hell i use a shortbow on my condi ranger but can not use the longbow to save my life. how the hell am i good with one bow and not the other is beyond me after all both are bows. has anyone else had these problems when playing a different set ? or is it just me

longbow gs is an interesting weapon set if you havnt used it much before.

On GS

With base ranger its a defensive weapon with some counter burst situations. Baiting people into playing high damage cooldowns into the evading auto attack (You can intentially miss with the final part of hte auto attack chaint o get two evades out of it because it will repeat the attack) then moving through there bodies to get a cheeky hilt bash into a follow up maul. Agaisnt a target that doesnt focus you. A maul hilt bash maul combo will wreck alot of people.

For druid it goes further into that defensive weapon playstyle. Its more agressive due to its burst than sword dagger. But less than it would be in other specs.

On soulbeast it takes on a whole nother aspect. Becoming a very aggressive pressure weapon through repeatedly weaving in and out of beast mode while in melee to boost damage on key attacks. Its cc makes popping twice as vicious quite easy. Which is still more damage. And with BM it grants a source of fury which is ANOTHER 7% damage multiplier from soulbeast.

Take your time getting used to greatsword. It has very solid offense and defense but can take some getting used to. Id focus on learning the key ranges on its skills. And memorizing the evade trick I mentioned earlier. There are fights where you can sustain for awhile just by rolling through the auto attack chain for the double evades until you can get a cooldown back up.

longbow on the other hand is fairly stable with the exception of base ranger and the two elite specs.

For base ranger longbow can take on the form of a primary weapon in pvp situations (wvw SPvP) Im not gonna say this is the best mentality but it can work if you are very careful and have the right setup.

For the elite specs longbow currently has a roll as an opener/finisher. As a weapon it provides good aoe damage, and with its range solid chase potential. Its utility comes in the form of a knockback and a personal stealth. Learnign the right times to use that stealth is MASSIVELY important if your going to take longbow. Dropping target at the right time is a difference between getting out of a burst or getting 100-od. Especially if your in something liek marauders gear. Think of this as being on the same priority as making the evade trick on gs second nature.

Part of your problem may also be the amulet? Typically you play LB/GS with something along the lines of zerk, which means you auto-explode if you try to stand on point in a fight bigger than 1v1.

If that's the case, you can swap to a less glassy amulet, or play more skirmish-y.

Another random thought, people new to LB tend to be extremely predictable with it. You get something along the lines of lb4 into lb2 into lb5, swap to GS and maul, etc. Or even worse, just a lot of backpedaling while autoattacking. :'( Use your stealth a lot, and don't open 1v1s with LB4.

> @"Fluffball.8307" said:

> Part of your problem may also be the amulet? Typically you play LB/GS with something along the lines of zerk, which means you auto-explode if you try to stand on point in a fight bigger than 1v1.

>

> If that's the case, you can swap to a less glassy amulet, or play more skirmish-y.

>

> Another random thought, people new to LB tend to be extremely predictable with it. You get something along the lines of lb4 into lb2 into lb5, swap to GS and maul, etc. Or even worse, just a lot of backpedaling while autoattacking. :'( Use your stealth a lot, and don't open 1v1s with LB4.

lmfao fluffball you just described me in a match lol

Zerk lb/gs Soul beast is a highly aggressive and takes a good amount of practice to get good at it. Run marauder or paladin amulet if you need to be a bit more tanky but really I would stick with marauder or zerk until you get used to it. some tips: GS3 is a fairly long evade, GS4 when not close to an enemy is a long block, LB 3 and 4 should be used situational or to set up a big attack. Ranger gets no respect in pvp but is among the best 1v1 and +1ers.

The professions i've had the hardest time with are scourges and mirages. mirages have a ton of dodges and scourge condi spam is downright insane. A good thief can also be a royal pain but there aren't too many of them around.

> @"Prophet.1584" said:

> Zerk lb/gs Soul beast is a highly aggressive and takes a good amount of practice to get good at it. Run marauder or paladin amulet if you need to be a bit more tanky but really I would stick with marauder or zerk until you get used to it. some tips: GS3 is a fairly long evade, GS4 when not close to an enemy is a long block, LB 3 and 4 should be used situational or to set up a big attack. Ranger gets no respect in pvp but is among the best 1v1 and +1ers.

>

> The professions i've had the hardest time with are scourges and mirages. mirages have a ton of dodges and scourge condi spam is downright insane. A good thief can also be a royal pain but there aren't too many of them around.

ha, one 'bad' condi thief can ruin your day

> @"trunks.5249" said:

> > @"jcbroe.4329" said:

> > @"trunks.5249" do you have any of the expansions or are you playing core Ranger? I'd like to hone in on what you have access to before I try to give specific advice.

>

> i have both expantions

Alright, is there any particular spec you're looking to play then?

A lot of people responding immediately suggested Soulbeast because of the synergy with the weaponsets, however, I'd say that Soulbeast itself isn't very conducive to learning the actual flow of just the weaponsets.

I'd say try a core Ranger LB/GS setup. Something along the lines of: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRjEqQJL2vCOsAVLGSEKP1ThW/Dgkdm7KY0PhSOXaA-jpxHABXXGAgjAg/XAAlPEAiv/w3PAAA swapping out Signet of Renewal for Lightning Reflexes based on preference and if you still find it isn't defensive enough, swapping in an Avatar or even Menders Amulet.

Hopefully this will help you refine your gameplay with the weaponsets, and then once you feel comfortable with them, like the combat flow is second nature, that's when I'd go for riskier builds, although over time you should have no issue in the current game climate with this or a similar core setup.

> @"Shadelang.3012" said:

> longbow gs is an interesting weapon set if you havnt used it much before.

>

> On GS

> With base ranger its a defensive weapon with some counter burst situations. Baiting people into playing high damage cooldowns into the evading auto attack (You can intentially miss with the final part of hte auto attack chaint o get two evades out of it because it will repeat the attack) then moving through there bodies to get a cheeky hilt bash into a follow up maul. Agaisnt a target that doesnt focus you. A maul hilt bash maul combo will wreck alot of people.

>

> For druid it goes further into that defensive weapon playstyle. Its more agressive due to its burst than sword dagger. But less than it would be in other specs.

>

> On soulbeast it takes on a whole nother aspect. Becoming a very aggressive pressure weapon through repeatedly weaving in and out of beast mode while in melee to boost damage on key attacks. Its cc makes popping twice as vicious quite easy. Which is still more damage. And with BM it grants a source of fury which is ANOTHER 7% damage multiplier from soulbeast.

>

> Take your time getting used to greatsword. It has very solid offense and defense but can take some getting used to. Id focus on learning the key ranges on its skills. And memorizing the evade trick I mentioned earlier. There are fights where you can sustain for awhile just by rolling through the auto attack chain for the double evades until you can get a cooldown back up.

>

> longbow on the other hand is fairly stable with the exception of base ranger and the two elite specs.

>

> For base ranger longbow can take on the form of a primary weapon in pvp situations (wvw SPvP) Im not gonna say this is the best mentality but it can work if you are very careful and have the right setup.

>

> For the elite specs longbow currently has a roll as an opener/finisher. As a weapon it provides good aoe damage, and with its range solid chase potential. Its utility comes in the form of a knockback and a personal stealth. Learnign the right times to use that stealth is MASSIVELY important if your going to take longbow. Dropping target at the right time is a difference between getting out of a burst or getting 100-od. Especially if your in something liek marauders gear. Think of this as being on the same priority as making the evade trick on gs second nature.

This person has good advice, and if I remember the name correctly, has fucked my shit up when I have encountered him(?). Very good Ranger/Soulbeast player. That's a super helpful tip for the GS auto attack evade trick, thank you.

This was already sorta mentioned, but something I find helpful is to kite when using GS4. It'll allow you to block longer and absorb more burst so that the knockback doesn't trigger.