Let's talk about Serpent's Ire META

LucyFurr.6589

It's this effect every zealot gains: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defensive_Veil

The fight is way too chaotic to pay attention, but given the information in the wiki and adding all up it at least _feels_ like it's working that way.

So 5 zealots channeling = 5 x -33% damage taken. If you break the bar, Defensive Veil is gone. Means it'll take full damage. If the channeling comes back up it won't take damage again until broken.

With the giant zerg tactic it _should_ play like this. Outside the broken phase damage taken for the zealots is: 1st: -100%, 2nd: -100%, 3rd: -99%, 4th: -66%, 5th: -33%

Which for me looks like a very dangerous but of course valid tactic _if_ the bar is broken reliably. If you can't break the bar the fight will be over very quickly.

If you use 5 groups usually 3 or 4 of them manage to break the bar reliably. Which means that even outside the broken phase, the group that is struggling most only has -33% or -66% dmg and can do _some_ damage at least. Once the first or two are dead, the channeling slows down a lot and the event usually works.

I've had more success with 5 groups. Not saying giant zerg doesn't work, but it seems far more dangerous given how the event mechanic seems to work. Of course feel free to point at missing information I have. But in reality the event only comes down to how much CC can you bring regardless of which tactic is used. 5 groups seem a bit more forgiving.

I went in there a couple of days ago with a couple of friends. We were in the map to do bounty chains; the small squad we joined decided to help out when the Ire squad called for help in Map. Without swapping squads, without any instructions or map markers from our bounty commander (though with me explaining the fight on voice to my friends, who had not seen it before), the meta succeeded. I haven't done it a lot of times, I'll admit, but I think I've only seen it fail one time even though most of my handful of visits were drop-ins rather than seeking an organized run. It may lack the epic and varied feel of a DS run, but it doesn't seem impossible to ever complete.

I'm on NA; most of my play time is in the afternoon/evening eastern time. This may affect my ability to find large good groups.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> I went in there a couple of days ago with a couple of friends. We were in the map to do bounty chains; the small squad we joined decided to help out when the Ire squad called for help in Map. Without swapping squads, without any instructions or map markers from our bounty commander (though with me explaining the fight on voice to my friends, who had not seen it before), the meta succeeded. I haven't done it a lot of times, I'll admit, but I think I've only seen it fail one time even though most of my handful of visits were drop-ins rather than seeking an organized run. It may lack the epic and varied feel of a DS run, but it doesn't seem impossible to ever complete.

>

> I'm on NA; most of my play time is in the afternoon/evening eastern time. This may affect my ability to find large good groups.

Wow you've been extremely lucky I guess. I have been stalking the lfg for this event constantly for a few weeks now and done it about 10+ times at an average of 1 lfg for this event found every 2-4 days and I do play in the afternoon to evening as well. It failed every time.

As all on you have said, the issue are the overtuned defiance bars. I hope Anet reduces the amount of CC required to do this.

The issue is that they longer they take to fix this the lower the amount of people we are going to find in that map. It's a shame that, while one of the main complaints about PoF maps is their lack of meta events, one of the only metas they have implemented is broken and won't be ever done by most of the community for this reason.

I was able to do this with a squad that just tried to Zerg 1 zealot and everytime we break his bar the timer stops, although the CC was still slow and the dps wasn't that great either. We failed the event but I think this maybe a good way to do it, idk if the break bar scales to the number of people though, if not, it would be better to Zerg 1 zealot.

There are multiple ways to tackle the break bar phase. Zerg clockwise, two squads going from south to north or each Champion with designated group. These has been farmed for months now. Wintersday and Daybreak might have made it harder to complete, I stopped participating myself since then, but I doubt it's dead. Yesterday at least one map did in on EU during the late evening.

It's like all these "pof maps are dead" threads poping everywhere but somehow I manage to run a full Leg bounty on all maps or Maw meta few times a day.

> @"Sithis.3564" said:

> There are multiple ways to tackle the break bar phase. Zerg clockwise, two squads going from south to north or each Champion with designated group. These has been farmed for months now. Wintersday and Daybreak might have made it harder to complete, I stopped participating myself since then, but I doubt it's dead. Yesterday at least one map did in on EU during the late evening.

>

> It's like all these "pof maps are dead" threads poping everywhere but somehow I manage to run a full Leg bounty on all maps or Maw meta few times a day.

Lel nobody said its dead, its just very difficult to find people to do it with and even more harder for it to be successful, 9/10 it fails on phase 2.

As far as bounties go, theres always one going on in the maps, very easy to do and almost never fails even for casuals, maw meta is easy as well and farmable to that. Serepents ire is bad game design and bad rewards so it doesnt incentivize people who already did it once to come back and replay it, which could be from bad experience, or dont want to waste their time.

So, now that wintersday is over, i've had more time to sit and afk doing nothing and checking lfg for anyone doing this event. And thus far, i have been able to do it 3 times in the last 2 days, sadly it failed all 3 times, which puts the number of tries i have on this event to the 25+ range in the last 2 months. Never have i had this much problem on 1 meta event in pve, not even triple trouble was this bad.

You explain to people what the mechanics are, to bring a boat load of CC, explain what CC is/are, when to do it, nothing. FeelsBadMan. Can anyone in anet look at this one more time pretty please.

> @"J envy.5270" said:

> Its a new year here's hoping Anet finally tone down this event for us plebs who still haven't been lucky to successfully finish it.

I very much doubt it. It's unfortunate but ArenaNet don't tend to go back to released content all that often (for example, there are still a number of HoT bugs that have never been addressed and most likely never will). I have no doubt that the expansion team has already switched their focus to the next expansion and now that the LS has resumed with both Palawadan and the Great Hall offering far, far more lucrative rewards than _any_ of the PoF metas (Palawadan alone offers better rewards than _all_ of the PoF metas combined) there will be little chance of any further tweaks to PoF content.

• 2 months later...