What Is The Dumbest Thing You've Done......

At HoT release i got a staff on day 3 and I thought "New, staff skin, might as well unlock just to have it". A week later i realized i could insta sell it for 500-600g.

The skin was kinda cool so i ended up using it for a while, but still would prefer the gold. Good thing HoT was the money making days and spider farm along with fractal 40 farm easily nettet 100g a day

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i lost the pw of my old account and had no clue how to fix it. And now after 4 years i wanna have it back to connect it to my used account. (yes i bought the game again bcause i had no clue how support works and i was to lazy to figure it out)

Problem is that i dont remember much of my old account and my problem wasnt solved yet.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> Well i lost the pw of my old account and had no clue how to fix it. And now after 4 years i wanna have it back to connect it to my used account. (yes i bought the game again bcause i had no clue how support works and i was to lazy to figure it out)

> Problem is that i dont remember much of my old account and my problem wasnt solved yet.

I had a similar issue with GW1. Was never able to recover the account.

Not too long ago I went to Dragon's Stand to do the events/meta so I could buy an exotic inscription recipe. Afterwards I payed over 200g to get the rest of the armor recipes of that stat from the trading post. Immediately after I consumed the last recipe I remembered something: the reason I went to Dragon's Stand was to get the exotic inscription recipe.........so I could stat swap my already crafted ascended armor. If only I realized sooner I could have resold the armor recipes, albeit at a bit of a loss.

/facedesk

> @"usnedward.9023" said:

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > Well i lost the pw of my old account and had no clue how to fix it. And now after 4 years i wanna have it back to connect it to my used account. (yes i bought the game again bcause i had no clue how support works and i was to lazy to figure it out)

> > Problem is that i dont remember much of my old account and my problem wasnt solved yet.

>

> I had a similar issue with GW1. Was never able to recover the account.

I got some progress. The little bits of information i had helped actually.

Bought an RNG lootbox.

Just kidding, no one's that dumb... right?

Literally crafted half a set of ascended gear with the wrong stats once... yeah... I grabbed the wrong recipe off the trading post and went from there, thankfully there was another build I could use that stat set for, so I just finished it, and it actually wound up helping the build a lot, so I didn't need support in the end.

Another time wasn't really my fault even though I did need supports help, in the first halloween a dev post lead me to believe that the weapon drops you could get needed to be used or they would disappear, so I equipped a ghastly grinning shield I didn't want, and therefore couldn't sell it. Support agreed that it was unclear, but actually told me at first that they couldn't replace the item because they literally did not have the dev tools to do so yet, but told me to save it and ask later, I did so, and they replaced the item two years after the fact.

I use to play around with superior sigils of mischiefs and would just have stacks of them in my inv cause they were cheap and one of my guildies name had chief in it so it was a bit of a joke to just link them, then I decided to delete around 10 stacks of them right before it went up to a couple of gold each -_- I cried a little bit

But I guess that makes up from the time when they said they were fixing runes with might in it like strength runes, I bought like 10 stacks of them for a couple of silvers each, the patch came and it shot up to around 15g each :)

The dumpest thing? Not powerleveling a character to 80 at launch and buy a massive ammount of gems, only managed to get 6000 gems as a lvl 30 character

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> Believing precursors actually drop?

> No, but seriously. I sold a permanent hair style contract to buy a precursor and a headstart in the materials.

> Kind of regret it since i don't use the skin or its stat change ability

They do drop, I got the axe whilst doing an activity in the verdant brink.

Cradfting the Shining Blade.. don't get me wrong its a nice sword.. but i still don't understand why "legendary weapons" in this game have the same stats like ascended weapons.

The only thin legendary about them is the cost.

Putting that amount of gold and effort in a weapon, could atleast be worth a 25 damage increase.. maybe,, *sigh*. :s

Asc 950-1050 ==> Leg 975-1075 ;)

Not so long ago I deleted a character that I had only created to try out some new looks and armour combinations.. stupid thing, that character had 2 makeover kits in their inventory as I noticed some hours later :D Support got it fixed though, yey!

Also I once crafted an entire set of exotic wanderer's armour for 120+ gold (mats were expensive at that time), only to realize later that HoT chests (Dragon's Stand I believe?) let you choose exotic wanderer's armour. And I have many of those chests stacked in my bank.

> @"Conncept.7638" said:

> Bought an RNG lootbox.

>

> Just kidding, no one's that dumb... right?

>

> Literally crafted half a set of ascended gear with the wrong stats once... yeah... I grabbed the wrong recipe off the trading post and went from there, thankfully there was another build I could use that stat set for, so I just finished it, and it actually wound up helping the build a lot, so I didn't need support in the end.

>

> Another time wasn't really my fault even though I did need supports help, in the first halloween a dev post lead me to believe that the weapon drops you could get needed to be used or they would disappear, so I equipped a ghastly grinning shield I didn't want, and therefore couldn't sell it. Support agreed that it was unclear, but actually told me at first that they couldn't replace the item because they literally did not have the dev tools to do so yet, but told me to save it and ask later, I did so, and they replaced the item two years after the fact.

I actually did this on purpose because it was cheaper to craft the wrong ones and then change them over via the cosmic toilet.

I bought 35 Gifts of Souls for 30-35 g/piece during Halloween 2016, knowing it will be back to 60-80 Gold/piece in few Months after Events End as it always was.

Then came the changes to Wardrobe system or something and the price of Gift of Souls fell forever to 5g. Effectively loosing around 1000 Gold.

I never asked Anet for Help as I do consider it my usual Bad luck =D

> @"Alatar.7364" said:

> I bought 35 Gifts of Souls for 30-35 g/piece during Halloween 2016, knowing it will be back to 60-80 Gold/piece in few Months after Events End.

> Then came the changes to Wardrobe system or something and the price of Gift of Souls fell forever to 5g. Effectively loosing almost 1k Gold.

> I never asked Anet for Help as I do consider it my usual Bad luck =D

>

I know your pain though not that much gold. A few years ago I anticipated a price hike on a mat (can't remember which) and bought like 100g worth. I wasn't that rich. Soon after a patch hit they reduced cost of mats in recipe and I lost about 75g. It's the chance you take.

I seem to end up having one about once a year or so... latest biggest dumb was meaning to make some Grandmaster Leatherworker Marks to make a set of WvW ascended armor and made Tailor Marks instead.

Biggest dumb was probably losing my personal guild that I was using as an extra guild bank. I swear it bugged out and disappeared without me doing anything but who knows at this point (happened maybe 2 years ago). Had all my extra t6 and t5 mats, planks, ingots, etc. Sadly anet said it was gone forever, almost quit the game then and there... friends kept me going :)

• ArenaNet Staff

I'll be the brave employee to step into this thread.

I run two accounts, a private one and a public/work one, and I play both of them consistently. However, one of them is more neglected WRT AP, cosmetics, and stuff like that. Aaaaaaand sometimes I don't pay enough attention to which one I'm currently using.

So one day last fall I decided to buy some gem store treats for my neglected account, to catch her up a little bit. I buy them, receive them, and spent like five minutes in utter confusion about the "You already have this unlocked" messaging before I realized "OH HEY check that out I am on the not-neglected, pretty-shiny account!"

I gathered up my shame and went to find someone who could help. "So HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING if an employee account bought something in the gem store and she bought it on the wrong account how do we resolve that? Does that person submit a regular support ticket or do you have to deal with it differently? No reason, I'm just wondering."

Gawd that was embarrassing.

Dumbest thing I've done?

Well, when the Advanced Leather Rack and Cloth Racks came out I opened 11 chests with keys that had collected and sat in my bank. Got the Advanced Leather Rack. It was worth 2,200 gold on the trading post at the time. I consumed it. Liquidated a bunch of my bank and bought the Cloth Rack off the TP for completionists sake, 1,700 gold I really didn't need to spend.

On a related note my account devalued several thousand gold with yesterday's BLC statuette introduction. Not going to pin that one on myself, though.

~ Kovu

Edit-- Oh, hah! Yeah I've had alt account mishaps. Accidentally purchased 1,600 gems on an alt thinking it was my main. I can't remember what I was buying at the time but it wasn't giftable. Ultimately it wasn't worth my time to put in a ticket, I did eventually spend the gems. I've also gone through wvw guild rallies on unintended accounts. (I keep two accounts on the server I play wvw for, one on my laptop for scouting.)

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> Sold my Ascended gear to a vendor... (I really hate how this is an option)

>

> Deleted 2 stacks of mystic coins about 4 years ago because they were worthless.

>

>

> I had a small WvW focused guild before HoT.

ahh mystic coins, either selling these by the stack for 2g a stack back in the day, or deleting my bolt. (bolt got bank locked after I deleted my char that it was soulbound to, yes legendaries were soulboud at one point, and I was tired of seeing it in my bank unusable and mocking.)

minor one would be selling bad stat ascended to vendors after I unlocked the skin, oh the old days...

Edit: oh I got another one, put over 200 bucks into buying the game in 2011-2012 I now have 1 account that I finally upgraded to HoT a month or two ago (this one) and I have 3 very expensive accounts that are now almost equal to free to play accounts, which aren't useful in any game mode really due to the power creep

Dumbest thing I did was deleting a character I felt I no longer needed and simply wanted to recreate it with another profession. Up to now no biggie, amiright? Well it did so happen that this particular character was a mule carrying plenty of exotic weapons, armors, and a $%^& ton of expensive crafting materials (ectos, mystic coins...), all stacked to the max, all inventory bags full. I must have had a total value close to 1K in gold. I did not realize it at first. Only much later, when I went searching for all my precious stuff from character to character, did I dreadfully realized, with streams of cold sweat running down my face, my unfortunate, and rather costly mistake.