auto-atack while downed

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Excerpt from gw2wiki:

Each profession has three specific downed skills and a recovery skill common to all professions called Bandage. The first skill is an ****autoattack**** inflicting either direct damage or conditions. The second skill is a defense skill based on profession, with examples like the warrior's Hammer Toss or elementalist's Vapor Form. The third skill becomes available after a cooldown period and offers special utility—for instance, a warrior can use Vengeance to fight normally for a short time while an elementalist can use Grasping Earth to immobilize and damage a foe.

I know i ctrl-mouse2 on the first skill while downed and it stopped being an auto-attack. And i cant turn it on. I tried everthing, deleting settings, cache, reinstalling, resetting to default, nothing works. It is VERY frustrating without autoattack.

Seems im the only one having this problem.

Wtf is going on?

Plz help.

Devs? Someone?

• ArenaNet Staff

This thread has been up for nearly a year. I appreciate that you're frustrated that you have not received a reply. But as you yourself noted this week, you are the *only* one who has reported this situation on the forums. I play a lot and I wasn't really aware that my Ranger was doing any auto-attacking, although when you think about it, there's some dirt flinging going on, I think. ;)

As to how you can re-enable the auto-attack, I don't know the answer right now, but I will ask around and see if I can ascertain whether this is a bug or an individual situation that we can advise you about.

> @"gavhriel.9708" said:

> Excerpt from gw2wiki:

>

> Each profession has three specific downed skills and a recovery skill common to all professions called Bandage. The first skill is an ****autoattack**** inflicting either direct damage or conditions. The second skill is a defense skill based on profession, with examples like the warrior's Hammer Toss or elementalist's Vapor Form. The third skill becomes available after a cooldown period and offers special utility—for instance, a warrior can use Vengeance to fight normally for a short time while an elementalist can use Grasping Earth to immobilize and damage a foe.

>

> I know i ctrl-mouse2 on the first skill while downed and it stopped being an auto-attack. And i cant turn it on. I tried everthing, deleting settings, cache, reinstalling, resetting to default, nothing works. It is VERY frustrating without autoattack.

>

> Seems im the only one having this problem.

> kitten is going on?

> Plz help.

> Devs? Someone?

Did you try the -prefreset command line argument?

Good luck.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> This thread has been up for nearly a year. I appreciate that you're frustrated that you have not received a reply. But as you yourself noted this week, you are the *only* one who has reported this situation on the forums. I play a lot and I wasn't really aware that my Ranger was doing any auto-attacking, although when you think about it, there's some dirt flinging going on, I think. ;)

>

> As to how you can re-enable the auto-attack, I don't know the answer right now, but I will ask around and see if I can ascertain whether this is a bug or an individual situation that we can advise you about.

Gaile, i can confirm kinda that i have to click "1" each time i want to attack while downed, doesnt matter the class. If indeed its supposed to be an autoattack it hasnt functioned in....i cant even remember the last time i didnt have to click "1" so for quite some time. As to why its not reported? nobody really pays attention to downskills i think.

> @"gavhriel.9708" said:

> It is VERY frustrating without autoattack.

Now I'm curious... why would one want the first down skill to auto activate, especially in PvP? If sometries to rezz you you're better off with using 4 (or any movement/disruptive skill while downed to get to an ally/delay the stomp if needed) and if someone stealths you to secure the rezz you break it with the attack and ruin the rezz. So, setting to first skill to auto could get you killed instead of helping you. Nonetheless, if it worked in the past it should allow (I don't know about this, since I turned of auto on most characters years ago, it hurts one more than it helps) to reactivate it, if just to not let a bug persist.

> @"Schnuschnu.9857" said:

>

> > @"gavhriel.9708" said:

> > It is VERY frustrating without autoattack.

>

> Now I'm curious... why would one want the first down skill to auto activate, especially in PvP? If sometries to rezz you you're better off with using 4 (or any movement/disruptive skill while downed to get to an ally/delay the stomp if needed) and if someone stealths you to secure the rezz you break it with the attack and ruin the rezz. So, setting to first skill to auto could get you killed instead of helping you. Nonetheless, if it worked in the past it should allow (I don't know about this, since I turned of auto on most characters years ago, it hurts one more than it helps) to reactivate it, if just to not let a bug persist.

>

Probably mainly for PVE.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The wiki is written by players. Someone might have copied/pasted from old sources or assumed it would be an autoattack. Just because it's written in the wiki doesn't mean it is true now, nor that it was necessarily true in the live game in the past.

Im pretty sure when the game went live if you clicked "1" when down it would continue to attack, and would restart attacking after you used your second or third down skills. I could be wrong of course, its been quite awhile.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> This thread has been up for nearly a year. I appreciate that you're frustrated that you have not received a reply. But as you yourself noted this week, you are the *only* one who has reported this situation on the forums. I play a lot and I wasn't really aware that my Ranger was doing any auto-attacking, although when you think about it, there's some dirt flinging going on, I think. ;)

>

> As to how you can re-enable the auto-attack, I don't know the answer right now, but I will ask around and see if I can ascertain whether this is a bug or an individual situation that we can advise you about.

Thank you very much, please do so.

For the record, i filed a ticket on the mater and got a generic answer from GM Vanis Joplin that shows that he didnt even bother to read my ticket to understand my problem. Very disappointing.

> @"ParanoidKami.2867" said:

> I just press 1 and prefer it for downed skills. I would rage so hard if I was stealth ressing someone and they auto'd 1. I already rage hard when stealth ressing people and they automatically press 1.

im assuming this is in pvp and wvw? its a habit to automatically attack if you play pve and down as you can usually quickly kill whatever is attacking you, and you often dont have people showing up to res you.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> Holy kitten guys, this thread is the paradigm for misundestanding, misinterpreting, misreading or not reading at all. The OP still thinks that this is a bug although several posters already mentioned that there was no auto-attack at all since release. Maybe it was a thing in a beta, I can't remember.

Thats the thing, if my memory is correct(it could not be its been so long) at release, if you downed and attacked(youd still have to initiate the attack, it wouldnt start as soon as you where downed) it would continue to attack without having to repeatedly press 1(which is irritating), so it *could* be bugged as its no longer doing that. To the people that are saying "id hate this" if a mechanic in game isnt functioning correctly, which may be the case then it needs to get fixed *then* make changes to it.

On top of that, the skills listed on the Wiki, even though the wiki is player created, have not changed since launch(with a few exceptions), so the wiki may be correct on stating that they are supposed to be AA.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"ParanoidKami.2867" said:

> > I just press 1 and prefer it for downed skills. I would rage so hard if I was stealth ressing someone and they auto'd 1. I already rage hard when stealth ressing people and they automatically press 1.

>

> im assuming this is in pvp and wvw? its a habit to automatically attack if you play pve and down as you can usually quickly kill whatever is attacking you, and you often dont have people showing up to res you.

Yeah. The problem with autoattacking when downed is you can't stop if you want to. No weapon to stow.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > Holy kitten guys, this thread is the paradigm for misundestanding, misinterpreting, misreading or not reading at all. The OP still thinks that this is a bug although several posters already mentioned that there was no auto-attack at all since release. Maybe it was a thing in a beta, I can't remember.

>

> Thats the thing, if my memory is correct(it could not be its been so long) at release, if you downed and attacked(youd still have to initiate the attack, it wouldnt start as soon as you where downed) it would continue to attack without having to repeatedly press 1(which is irritating), so it *could* be bugged as its no longer doing that. To the people that are saying "id hate this" if a mechanic in game isnt functioning correctly, which may be the case then it needs to get fixed *then* make changes to it.

>

> On top of that, the skills listed on the Wiki, even though the wiki is player created, have not changed since launch(with a few exceptions), so the wiki may be correct on stating that they are supposed to be AA.

I am pretty sure you never auto-attacked while going down, nor initiated auto-attack when pressing 1 once. You had to hit it constantly all the time. I would love that and I am sure be cause I would love to have that. It never functioned like the #1 skill of normal attack skills. At least not since release. That I am pretty sure of.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > Holy kitten guys, this thread is the paradigm for misundestanding, misinterpreting, misreading or not reading at all. The OP still thinks that this is a bug although several posters already mentioned that there was no auto-attack at all since release. Maybe it was a thing in a beta, I can't remember.

>

> Thats the thing, if my memory is correct(it could not be its been so long) at release, if you downed and attacked(youd still have to initiate the attack, it wouldnt start as soon as you where downed) it would continue to attack without having to repeatedly press 1(which is irritating), so it *could* be bugged as its no longer doing that. To the people that are saying "id hate this" if a mechanic in game isnt functioning correctly, which may be the case then it needs to get fixed *then* make changes to it.

>

> On top of that, the skills listed on the Wiki, even though the wiki is player created, have not changed since launch(with a few exceptions), so the wiki may be correct on stating that they are supposed to be AA.

Someone changed the description to add "the first skill is an 'autoattack'" only earlier this year (in April 2018). I've edited the article back to the way it's been since there's been no mention of 'autoattack' since launch.

• ArenaNet Staff

I really think we could help with wiki accuracy by keeping an eye on the article and editing as appropriate. Thanks to those who're keeping an eye on that.

Looking back, I could have sworn we never had auto-attack at all, but then, alpha and beta are in the distant, hazy past. I was willing to think "eh, maybe she's tossing sand a bit?" but even that read as wrong when I commented to that possibility.

I'm going to test when I get a chance, providing my mighty, nearly unconquerable dual-bow ranger ever gets into a downed stated. <-- Ahem. that's a joke. :innocent: