Home Instance Garden Plots

Palador.2170

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"DarcShriek.5829" said:

> > I'm not convinced these are a good buy for 1000 gems. I've bought all the other home instance items. But these, just don't seem worthwhile.

>

> None of them are "good buys". I got mine so I could do dailies sometimes in the home instance. I was pretty much going to buy any plant node when it dropped below 200-300 gold, so this fit the bill for me. (As it turns out, the tradeable nodes dropped in price for other reasons; I felt this for 250g with four nodes was a better deal in the long run than Lotus for 80g or Snow Truffle for 200 etc.) I'm sure that in 6 months I will feel that I overpaid. It's a really expensive convenience item (for me anyhow).

I just bought the lotus node. Looking at getting the snow truffle node. Still I don't understand my aversion to the garden plots.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"DarcShriek.5829" said:

> I'm not convinced these are a good buy for 1000 gems. I've bought all the other home instance items. But these, just don't seem worthwhile.

They're more of a "cool thing to have" than anything else. I got one, because what else I'm I going to spend my gold on... I won't be getting a second plot because although 1 is cool to have, more of the same is just more of the same.

It looks like the answer is you can get a refund if you have not consumed it. Of course, since there was a delay between finding out that 'guaranteed dye unlock' and 'will not work with gemstore dyes' there was no reason NOT to consume the deeds. I told them I would rethink buying ultimate editions of expansions then.

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > I just submitted a ticket to see if I can return the 2 plots I bought .... here is hoping.

> > >

> > > Let us know what you find out. (Good luck.)

> >

> > Thanks, since I am not interested in the primers and had hoped to unlock the rest of the dyes the new info about the unlocks swings the balance of if it makes sense to me to have the plots. I was already on the fence but decided it was worth it if I could unlock the expensive dyes.

>

> You are almost certainly better off converting your gems into gold and buying the colors you want. Most dyes remain cheap (and will do for a while for a variety of reasons.)

Yes, if I knew it was only on the original dyes, of course. The problem was they did not say that restriction when they started selling the item.

> @"Euryon.9248" said:

> Was disappointed to discover that my first crafting of the guaranteed blue/green unlock yielded a consumable that gave me a "no available dyes" message. Now I'm stuck with a useless item and out 24x4 mats (not expensive mats, but still). Is there any way to get a refund for these, since you can't really tell that none of your unlocked dyes are unavailable until after you waste the mats crafting the unlock.

BTW, if nobody has said it already, you can find what dyes you need at gw2efficiency.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > I just submitted a ticket to see if I can return the 2 plots I bought .... here is hoping.

> > > >

> > > > Let us know what you find out. (Good luck.)

> > >

> > > Thanks, since I am not interested in the primers and had hoped to unlock the rest of the dyes the new info about the unlocks swings the balance of if it makes sense to me to have the plots. I was already on the fence but decided it was worth it if I could unlock the expensive dyes.

> >

> > You are almost certainly better off converting your gems into gold and buying the colors you want. Most dyes remain cheap (and will do for a while for a variety of reasons.)

>

> Yes, if I knew it was only on the original dyes, of course. The problem was they did not say that restriction when they started selling the item.

Have you heard back from Support? Are they able to remove the plot(s) from the hope instance and refund the gems? (fingers crossed for you)

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > > > > I just submitted a ticket to see if I can return the 2 plots I bought .... here is hoping.

> > > > >

> > > > > Let us know what you find out. (Good luck.)

> > > >

> > > > Thanks, since I am not interested in the primers and had hoped to unlock the rest of the dyes the new info about the unlocks swings the balance of if it makes sense to me to have the plots. I was already on the fence but decided it was worth it if I could unlock the expensive dyes.

> > >

> > > You are almost certainly better off converting your gems into gold and buying the colors you want. Most dyes remain cheap (and will do for a while for a variety of reasons.)

> >

> > Yes, if I knew it was only on the original dyes, of course. The problem was they did not say that restriction when they started selling the item.

> Have you heard back from Support? Are they able to remove the plot(s) from the hope instance and refund the gems? (fingers crossed for you)

>

>

Yes, they said they could not remove the plots if I had already consumed the deeds (but would be happy to refund them if I had not consumed them). Not that I accept that answer though: the issue was I did not know when I bought them so there was no reason not to consume them. Could you imagine if a restaurant said they could do nothing because you took a bite of your meal and then discovered a major issue that was unexpected and not observable without taking a taste?

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get a refund (although not surprised; the game doesn't really make it easy to reverse upgrades or cancel achievements).

However, I'm very confused as to why you thought you could craft items that would unlock exclusive gem shop colors. The only source I can find that there are new dye recipes is from outside the game: on the wiki and on reddit. In each case, those outside sources include the caveat that the colors **do not** include the gem shop dyes. The actual promotional material (in the gem shop and on Evon Gnashblade's blog) makes no mention of dyes. Even Dulfy doesn't list dye recipes as one of the potential outputs, even though she does cover the primers.

Even the [hint posted on Reddit](https://redd.it/7p8q0y) prior to the official announcement shows the same caveat:

> Double-click to unlock one dye that you do not already have. Exclusive colors obtained through Gem Store dye kits are not included.

> I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get a refund (although not surprised; the game doesn't really make it easy to reverse upgrades or cancel achievements).

>

> However, I'm very confused as to why you thought you could craft items that would unlock exclusive gem shop colors. The only source I can find that there are new dye recipes is from outside the game: on the wiki and on reddit. In each case, those outside sources include the caveat that the colors **do not** include the gem shop dyes. The actual promotional material (in the gem shop and on Evon Gnashblade's blog) makes no mention of dyes. Even Dulfy doesn't list dye recipes as one of the potential outputs, even though she does cover the primers.

>

> Even the [hint posted on Reddit](https://redd.it/7p8q0y) prior to the official announcement shows the same caveat:

> > Double-click to unlock one dye that you do not already have. Exclusive colors obtained through Gem Store dye kits are not included.

>

When I bought the plot I thought the guaranteed unlocks would be a random drop, I was completely surprised when I found out about the recipe, which you only can find out about from the NPC that goes with the plots. I forget where I heard about the guaranteed unlocks (not reddit though) but it might have been the gem store description. As was mentioned earlier there was a lag before the wiki was updated and I purchased the plots during the lag before it had been updated.

Basically I knew if I bought a plot I would get something called "guaranteed dye unlocks" but none of the details so there was no reason to assume it would not be all of the dyes. There was no way for me to know those details since it was not on the wiki yet.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> Basically I knew if I bought a plot I would get something called "guaranteed dye unlocks" but none of the details so there was no reason to assume it would not be all of the dyes.

I can't agree. ANet's never released something that guaranteed an exclusive color except via the Birthday Gifts. Without having the details, I'd assume that they weren't included. And I especially wouldn't assume they were included on the basis of "I heard about a guaranteed dye unlock". That's why I waited to buy until I was sure that I'd want to get at least some of the potential drops from the nodes.

> There was no way for me to know those details since it was not on the wiki yet.

For what it's worth, the plots became available around 9 am Pacific on 9 January. The wiki entries (showing the restriction) were available as soon as ~9 or 10 am on 10 January. The reddit hint was available on the 9th right after the patch.

Again, I'm very sorry that you couldn't get a refund.

Yes, the birthday gift was my logic that there was a precedent that it could exist. It is up to anet to say otherwise if it is different. Like I said, I forget where I heard about it first but there is about a 99.99999% chance it came from an anet channel, most likely the gem store blurb. I have not looked at reddit about anything for weeks so there goes that argument

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> Yes, the birthday gift was my logic that there was a precedent that it could exist. It is up to anet to say otherwise if it is different. Like I said, I forget where I heard about it first but there is about a 99.99999% chance it came from an anet channel, most likely the gem store blurb. I have not looked at reddit about anything for weeks so there goes that argument

I heard about a Guaranteed Dye Unlock and my mind went to the other "Guaranteed" things in the game, the Guaranteed Wardrobe, Armor and Weapon Unlocks, those don't have this kind of limitation.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > Yes, the birthday gift was my logic that there was a precedent that it could exist. It is up to anet to say otherwise if it is different. Like I said, I forget where I heard about it first but there is about a 99.99999% chance it came from an anet channel, most likely the gem store blurb. I have not looked at reddit about anything for weeks so there goes that argument

>

> I heard about a Guaranteed Dye Unlock and my mind went to the other "Guaranteed" things in the game, the Guaranteed Wardrobe, Armor and Weapon Unlocks, those don't have this kind of limitation.

Exactly! If it had a limitation that the other unlocks did not there was no way to know it, they only released the information it was limited on any anet channel the same day as I bought it.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Regardless, it is always best to research any of the more expensive expenditures; even if it means waiting a day or two.

>

> Good luck.

Thanks, Captain Hindsight! ;)

Naw, you're completely right, I normally would have waited but this time my enthusiasm got the better of me.

• 2 months later...

> @"Eskimonster.1369" said:

> after i have harvestet my home garden plot, i cannot use this IP, to harvest other accounts, they are empty.

Do you mean that other accounts can't harvest your account's Plot (limitation due to how the crop selection is implemented, iirc) or that your account can't harvest other accounts' plots (intended, just like all other nodes)?

> @"Eskimonster.1369" said:

> after i have harvestet my home garden plot, i cannot use this IP, to harvest other accounts, they are empty.

Correct. It's a secondary effect of giving the owner the ability to change which nodes appear. It apparently turned out to be more complicated than they thought for the game to keep track of the owner's choice of plants and whether they had harvested **and** still allow those who didn't own the plots to gather after.

So I think of it as being a private node only (like the Treasure Chest), with the occasional exception in which guests can sometimes gather.