You can now buy the Gift of Insights with real money.

psizone.8437

I have no problem pay to win, pay to progress or just paying. I truely enjoy this game but there is sometimes I just want easy. I dont want to grind or fight or roam. just open the store and there is what I need to finish my crafting or any project I'm working on. Most of the time I do want the grind, but......sometimes on the bad days, just let me buy the darn thing and be done with it. It's just another choice you as a player can make.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"witcher.3197" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"witcher.3197" said:

> > > > > @"Rysdude.3824" said:

> > > > > How does this affect your own game play?

> > > >

> > > > That's not really a good arguement.

> > > >

> > > > How do gold sellers affect your gameplay?

> > > >

> > > > How do wintraders affect your gameplay?

> > > >

> > > > How do bots affect your gameplay?

> > > >

> > > > How do hackers affect your gameplay (as long as they are on a diferent map)?

> > > >

> > >

> > > All these examples are irrelevant as you are using forbidden tools/practices in comparison to legit way of new currency voucher.

> >

> > So if Anet starts putting things into the gemstore like "instant Tyria world completion for 3k gems", "RNG precursor box for 2k gems", "random piece of raid loot for 500 gems", "achievement instant completion for 1k gems" then in your book that is completely fine because it's Anet who's doing it?

>

> They already started doing this, I'm waiting for more content skips for money.

>

> And no, it doesn't affect me or you. Such things are expensive. Currency voucher is also RNG. Whales don't play much anyway and such items are targeted towards them. It won't affect you. Average Joe won't be paying thousands of gems for currencies.

If GW2 becomes pay2win I will never play it or buy a single thing from Anet ever.

I mean, yes. The OP is right.

However the drop rate for that item from the BLC is not stellar and the contents are only 3/5ths of 1/4 of that which you require for the Gift of Insights, which itself is the least time consuming part of the Gift of Maguuma Mastery, (unless you can already afford the Bloodstone Shard).

Honestly if the ingredients for Fulgurite (apart from obsidian) were obtainable from that BLC item I might actually consider pulling out the credit card and do some gambling -- those ingredients are so. fucking. tedious. to farm. I don't feel like doing the same meta events over and over 30 times each.

~ Kovu

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > I can't say I'm really happy with this, regardless of whether you could buy stuff with gold before.

> > >

> > > I mean, some stuff you get through playing and other stuff you can get with money. I guess I never really liked to get everything with money either.

> > >

> > > Then again, it's battling against grind as well. Maybe it will pay off to get that weekly black lion key.

> > >

> > > My general opinion of these things is: Pay for content YES, pay for skipping content, hell no.

> > >

> > > And they better not start balancing prices around the fact of this Tyrian voucher. That would just be gamebreaking for me.

> >

> > But you still have to to do other stuff in those zones to finish the zones, for the gift of maguuma for every single hot legendary that needs gift of Insight. And I guarantee you, it's virtually impossible to complete the four HoT zones, which you need to do, without having enough of the currency from each zone to purchase that stuff anyway.

> >

> > This is a storm in a tea cup. It doesn't stop you from doing anything, unless you're also spending that currency on stuff like minis and tonics (which I did).

>

> Weird logic. A shortcut never stops you from doing anything. It just provides an easier route to the end. Which I simply don't like in general, not just for legendary weapons. To me it's like setting the precedent that you wouldn't want to play this content anyway because it's terribly grindy, thus players need some pushing through that nasty piece of content.

>

> No buts, storms in teacups or whatever, just simply my opinion.

You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

>

> You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

I think it would be more reasonable to say it's not the issue some posters purport it to be. It still might crank some people's jammies, since ANet went to such trouble to impose all sorts of map currencies for all sorts of items and unlocks and now you can spend (a huge amount of) money to get a (modest amount of) that currency. But you can't spend tons of RL cash and get a 2nd gen legendary; you still have to complete maps and collect crystalline ore.

In other words, it might be an issue; it's just not all that big an issue.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

>

> >

> > You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

>

> I think it would be more reasonable to say it's not the issue some posters purport it to be. It still might crank some people's jammies, since ANet went to such trouble to impose all sorts of map currencies for all sorts of items and unlocks and now you can spend (a huge amount of) money to get a (modest amount of) that currency. But you can't spend tons of RL cash and get a 2nd gen legendary; you still have to complete maps and collect crystalline ore.

>

> In other words, it might be an issue; it's just not all that big an issue.

Yep. That's pretty much the very definition of a storm in a tea cup, the words I originally used. This is just one component of something far more complex. It's probably the easiest thing to get out of the whole recipe.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > I can't say I'm really happy with this, regardless of whether you could buy stuff with gold before.

> > > >

> > > > I mean, some stuff you get through playing and other stuff you can get with money. I guess I never really liked to get everything with money either.

> > > >

> > > > Then again, it's battling against grind as well. Maybe it will pay off to get that weekly black lion key.

> > > >

> > > > My general opinion of these things is: Pay for content YES, pay for skipping content, hell no.

> > > >

> > > > And they better not start balancing prices around the fact of this Tyrian voucher. That would just be gamebreaking for me.

> > >

> > > But you still have to to do other stuff in those zones to finish the zones, for the gift of maguuma for every single hot legendary that needs gift of Insight. And I guarantee you, it's virtually impossible to complete the four HoT zones, which you need to do, without having enough of the currency from each zone to purchase that stuff anyway.

> > >

> > > This is a storm in a tea cup. It doesn't stop you from doing anything, unless you're also spending that currency on stuff like minis and tonics (which I did).

> >

> > Weird logic. A shortcut never stops you from doing anything. It just provides an easier route to the end. Which I simply don't like in general, not just for legendary weapons. To me it's like setting the precedent that you wouldn't want to play this content anyway because it's terribly grindy, thus players need some pushing through that nasty piece of content.

> >

> > No buts, storms in teacups or whatever, just simply my opinion.

>

> You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

I think I understand it better than most. But the size of the issue doesn't affect its undesirability.

> @"psizone.8437" said:

> With the addition of https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tyrian_Exchange_Voucher to the black lion chest, you can now buy all of the currency required to make a Gift of Insights without taking part in map events.

>

> Whilst this may be a godsend to some, I feel like it removes part of the journey of making a legendary weapon.

>

> I don't care if it gets changed or not, but I sincerely hope this doesn't become a trend. The game needs to have things earn-able in game that cannot just be bought with enough real money.

I realize that non subscription-based MMOs rely on things like the gemstore to remain viable. But, as somebody who has actually quit the game over the gemstore (and not for the reason you'd probably think), I can say unequivocally that the gemstore wrecks this game.

I work 80 hours a week and have a lot more money than free time. So, when I got into GW2, it was a no-brainer to just buy whatever I needed from the gemstore (gems > gold > items). And I got quickly to the point where there was nothing left to get. So I got totally bored and quit.

On the other side, you have people asking "Why am I subjecting myself to these tedious grinds when other people just have to swipe their cards to do the same thing?? How does this value my investment in the game?" Nobody really wins or is happy in the end.

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > > I can't say I'm really happy with this, regardless of whether you could buy stuff with gold before.

> > > > >

> > > > > I mean, some stuff you get through playing and other stuff you can get with money. I guess I never really liked to get everything with money either.

> > > > >

> > > > > Then again, it's battling against grind as well. Maybe it will pay off to get that weekly black lion key.

> > > > >

> > > > > My general opinion of these things is: Pay for content YES, pay for skipping content, hell no.

> > > > >

> > > > > And they better not start balancing prices around the fact of this Tyrian voucher. That would just be gamebreaking for me.

> > > >

> > > > But you still have to to do other stuff in those zones to finish the zones, for the gift of maguuma for every single hot legendary that needs gift of Insight. And I guarantee you, it's virtually impossible to complete the four HoT zones, which you need to do, without having enough of the currency from each zone to purchase that stuff anyway.

> > > >

> > > > This is a storm in a tea cup. It doesn't stop you from doing anything, unless you're also spending that currency on stuff like minis and tonics (which I did).

> > >

> > > Weird logic. A shortcut never stops you from doing anything. It just provides an easier route to the end. Which I simply don't like in general, not just for legendary weapons. To me it's like setting the precedent that you wouldn't want to play this content anyway because it's terribly grindy, thus players need some pushing through that nasty piece of content.

> > >

> > > No buts, storms in teacups or whatever, just simply my opinion.

> >

> > You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

>

> I think I understand it better than most. But the size of the issue doesn't affect its undesirability.

Not sure how this makes sense? The size of the issue doesn't affect it's undesirability. It's a little cold and I'm freezing is just a matter of degree. I'm a little late and I'm very late. As with any issue, degree should make a difference. If I'm supposed to show up for work and I'm 5 minutes late, it's very different than if I'm 3 hours late.

You may personally see it as not desirable. Offset by me seeing it as desirable. I'd go as far to say, far more people would see it as desirable by percentage. So yeah, I don't see it as a major issue.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > > > I can't say I'm really happy with this, regardless of whether you could buy stuff with gold before.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I mean, some stuff you get through playing and other stuff you can get with money. I guess I never really liked to get everything with money either.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Then again, it's battling against grind as well. Maybe it will pay off to get that weekly black lion key.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My general opinion of these things is: Pay for content YES, pay for skipping content, hell no.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And they better not start balancing prices around the fact of this Tyrian voucher. That would just be gamebreaking for me.

> > > > >

> > > > > But you still have to to do other stuff in those zones to finish the zones, for the gift of maguuma for every single hot legendary that needs gift of Insight. And I guarantee you, it's virtually impossible to complete the four HoT zones, which you need to do, without having enough of the currency from each zone to purchase that stuff anyway.

> > > > >

> > > > > This is a storm in a tea cup. It doesn't stop you from doing anything, unless you're also spending that currency on stuff like minis and tonics (which I did).

> > > >

> > > > Weird logic. A shortcut never stops you from doing anything. It just provides an easier route to the end. Which I simply don't like in general, not just for legendary weapons. To me it's like setting the precedent that you wouldn't want to play this content anyway because it's terribly grindy, thus players need some pushing through that nasty piece of content.

> > > >

> > > > No buts, storms in teacups or whatever, just simply my opinion.

> > >

> > > You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

> >

> > I think I understand it better than most. But the size of the issue doesn't affect its undesirability.

>

> Not sure how this makes sense? The size of the issue doesn't affect it's undesirability. It's a little cold and I'm freezing is just a matter of degree. I'm a little late and I'm very late. As with any issue, degree should make a difference. If I'm supposed to show up for work and I'm 5 minutes late, it's very different than if I'm 3 hours late.

>

> You may personally see it as not desirable. Offset by me seeing it as desirable. I'd go as far to say, far more people would see it as desirable by percentage. So yeah, I don't see it as a major issue.

>

There is no offset. No need for change even. In fact if you even cared to understand what I am saying it is quite literally just, I just dont like to see or use shortcut like rewards in the gemstore.

I didnt make a huge post about it at first but just stated my opinion. Where you somehow had to make the decision to explain to me how it was not an issue and how the change works, as if I don't know.

And feel the need to state to me that its not a big deal. While it clearly is just a small undesirable addition to me. You have way too weak arguments to convince me otherwise.

So I guess all you can say is that youre offsetting my opinion. SMH As if that is goingto be relevant in any way.

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > > > > > > I can't say I'm really happy with this, regardless of whether you could buy stuff with gold before.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I mean, some stuff you get through playing and other stuff you can get with money. I guess I never really liked to get everything with money either.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Then again, it's battling against grind as well. Maybe it will pay off to get that weekly black lion key.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My general opinion of these things is: Pay for content YES, pay for skipping content, hell no.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And they better not start balancing prices around the fact of this Tyrian voucher. That would just be gamebreaking for me.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But you still have to to do other stuff in those zones to finish the zones, for the gift of maguuma for every single hot legendary that needs gift of Insight. And I guarantee you, it's virtually impossible to complete the four HoT zones, which you need to do, without having enough of the currency from each zone to purchase that stuff anyway.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is a storm in a tea cup. It doesn't stop you from doing anything, unless you're also spending that currency on stuff like minis and tonics (which I did).

> > > > >

> > > > > Weird logic. A shortcut never stops you from doing anything. It just provides an easier route to the end. Which I simply don't like in general, not just for legendary weapons. To me it's like setting the precedent that you wouldn't want to play this content anyway because it's terribly grindy, thus players need some pushing through that nasty piece of content.

> > > > >

> > > > > No buts, storms in teacups or whatever, just simply my opinion.

> > > >

> > > > You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

> > >

> > > I think I understand it better than most. But the size of the issue doesn't affect its undesirability.

> >

> > Not sure how this makes sense? The size of the issue doesn't affect it's undesirability. It's a little cold and I'm freezing is just a matter of degree. I'm a little late and I'm very late. As with any issue, degree should make a difference. If I'm supposed to show up for work and I'm 5 minutes late, it's very different than if I'm 3 hours late.

> >

> > You may personally see it as not desirable. Offset by me seeing it as desirable. I'd go as far to say, far more people would see it as desirable by percentage. So yeah, I don't see it as a major issue.

> >

>

> There is no offset. No need for change even. In fact if you even cared to understand what I am saying it is quite literally just, I just dont like to see or use shortcut like rewards in the gemstore.

>

> I didnt make a huge post about it at first but just stated my opinion. Where you somehow had to make the decision to explain to me how it was not an issue and how the change works, as if I don't know.

> And feel the need to state to me that its not a big deal. While it clearly is just a small undesirable addition to me. You have way too weak arguments to convince me otherwise.

>

> So I guess all you can say is that youre offsetting my opinion. SMH As if that is goingto be relevant in any way.

>

>

As a game gets older, more and more people who have played it, get tired of doing the same thing over again. By the same token newer players are further behind in doing things because they haven't been here all along. Shortcuts are introduces in games to cut down on grind/repetition for older players while allowing some newer players to catch up. It's always been like this in every MMO I've ever played, for good reason. Tiny shortcuts like this make enough people happy to include them. There doesn't need to be more reason than this.

Having crafted a number of HoT legendaries, and working on yet another, I'm happy this addition is in the game. That said, it's unlikely I'm ever even going to spend that item on HoT currency in particular because HoT currency is massively easy to get anyway. But there are other currencies that I might spend it on. In fact I did spend some on bandit crests from the Silverwastes.

It's not that I can't do the Silverwastes. It's that I've done it so many times, that doing it again was a drag. So I put it off, even though I only need 250 more bandit crests to move forward with Astralaria. Since I was able to use that to get the bandit crests I needed, I'm now happily moving forward on making Astralaria. Keep in mind, I've already made Nevermore, Hope, the Shining Blade, and Shooshadoo as well as a boatload of core legendary weapons. Do you think it's fun or entertaining, or even particularly challenging to run the Silverwastes yet again? No, this was well done. There's no good reason not to include it, of more people would be happier with it than without it...which I believe is the case.

Im fully willing to admit that the game getting older means that these imo rather cheap incentives to keep playing the game is the biggest reason I dont like these shortcuts.

The first year playing GW2 still has some sort of nostalgic value to me, and such additions, sadly necessary to keep people playing (maybe?), just tamper with that original experience. I guess its nothing out of the ordinary for most MMOs, and GW2 doesnt escape it either.

But yea, that was a much better post, Vayne. Respect.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> >

> > >

> > > You misunderstand. You STILL need to do the content, because you STILL need to complete all four zones. During the completion of all four zones you WILL earn enough currency to get the gift you need. If I choose to spend that currency on tonics and minis, I still did the work. It just allows me to get the tonics and minis, and STILL get the legendary. It's a non-issue.

> >

> > I think it would be more reasonable to say it's not the issue some posters purport it to be. It still might crank some people's jammies, since ANet went to such trouble to impose all sorts of map currencies for all sorts of items and unlocks and now you can spend (a huge amount of) money to get a (modest amount of) that currency. But you can't spend tons of RL cash and get a 2nd gen legendary; you still have to complete maps and collect crystalline ore.

> >

> > In other words, it might be an issue; it's just not all that big an issue.

>

> Yep. That's pretty much the very definition of a storm in a tea cup, the words I originally used. This is just one component of something far more complex. It's probably the easiest thing to get out of the whole recipe.

I'd say it's another straw on the camels back if we're using analogies.

I've been one of the people complaining/weary about the gem store and monitisation methods in general from the start (although this is my first post in nearly 2 years and at least since the new forums, cos I appear to have had absolutely no impact). Advocating clear limits to its invasiveness and a solid separation of game-play rewards to real word money.

That was 5 years ago back when the gemstore had some armor pieces, mini's and town clothes. (and at that stage I wasn't happy about the armor pieces being in the store!)

It's yet another chip away at the value of in game play (I.E what can I do through game play that a person with unlimited cash cannot match, bypass, surpass or otherwise accomplish). I recognize that it's "just" an hours game-play for some of the currencies but at this stage the principal is all that we have left to fight for.

I mean this is the "darkest timeline":

We had:

Unlimited gathering tools with extra item drops. (an advantage(not convenience) over an in-game player)

Season 1 rewards via gemstore (achievement rewards for money)

Guaranteed Wardrobe unlock (...This one is the worst for me personally, in theory you can unlock 2303 items from it completely bypassing all game-play and requirements on karma skins, order skins, event skins, guild skins,crafting skins, achievement skins and perhaps most bafflingly the birthday anniversary too.)

We can now add all dungeon skins, other map currency skins (plated, auric etc) to this list.

Throw on top of this:

40+ black lion weapon sets

RNG black lion chest exclusive skins.

Immortal skins which are gem pack exclusive.

The only means to acquire mount skins, pretty much exclusively the same for glider skins.

Waypoint unlock.

Instant level 80 item.

The SAB selling incident.

Allowance of run selling.

It's another step in "convenience" items that are "totally not" paying to win (an argument I'm not going to get into again) and situations that benefit cash shop jockies at the expense of in game players (in my opinion) .

And as a little aside to the players saying "oh they'll only get x per 100 euro etc":

1. It's the principal of it doesn't matter if it's only x items or only y people.

2. I've seen people straight up drop 10,000£ on an in-game currency...so yeah they'll get notable quantities.

3. That shouldn't give them access to everything money should not be a substitute for anything but basic gold(even then i'm not happy about it). And every aspect that can be carried out through money is one less that can be considered to be for in game players.

(I realize half of this is off-topic but I really just needed to let off steam, these issues have been getting worse and worse across MMO's and I see more people giving up the fight against it, so someone needs to continue to say it...and its really looking like a dismal future.)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"MarkoNS.3261" said:

> > it is sad to see this game turn more and more in to pay to win.

>

> Says the poster who asked for the ability to pay gems to avoid doing dailies (but still receive the AP):

> > @"MarkoNS.3261" asked:

> >> Should there be a gem store item that auto completes dailies ?

>

>

there is a difference between insignificant ap and items you can directly buy.

> @"MarkoNS.3261" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"MarkoNS.3261" said:

> > > it is sad to see this game turn more and more in to pay to win.

> >

> > Says the poster who asked for the ability to pay gems to avoid doing dailies (but still receive the AP):

> > > @"MarkoNS.3261" asked:

> > >> Should there be a gem store item that auto completes dailies ?

> >

> >

>

> there is a difference between insignificant ap and items you can directly buy.

If the AP is insignificant, why would you want to pay for it? Your argument was that it was too much work and you wanted to pay ANet to do it for you. Plus, in this case, you **cannot** directly buy these vouchers. They are low-chance drops from BL chest; lots of people who open chests regularly won't see a single one.

So please explain the difference between spending gems to get 3000 AP (the difference between the cap and your 12k 'daily') in a year and spending gems with a tiny chance of being able to get a currency voucher that still won't bypass much of the account bound requirements of legendaries.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> It seems to be very rare. I only got one out of around 50 keys. Spending money on keys for such a low amount of map currency would be silly unless you are a multi millionaire with more money than sense.

> Plus it is missing crystalline ores.

Drop rate seem pretty much the same as other common drop but it swimming in the massive pool of 20+ item with 2 slot to pull it off.

I got 2 vouchers out off 25. But I'm not really happy because I only got one uncommon from it.( gotta get animal abuse gilder ?).