Legendary Dilemma, help needed!

Rococo.8347

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > So for example, in @"Danikat.8537"'s example, if you chose the Dreamer, you'd probably end up with a human Bearbow (annoying sounds/animations to match the build that unhinges so many players)

>

> Hey I resemble that stereotype! Although traditionally a bearbow build uses a longbow so they can stay safely out of danger, letting the pet tank and using minimal effort to complete things, and of course the Dreamer is a shortbow. And _my_ human female ranger is usually right in the middle of things, which is one reason I eventually chose the shortbow over longbow (that and it shoots freaking unicorns!).

Um, erm, oops. Whether **you** used the weapon in that way didn't occur to me. Rather, it was that you mentioned the bow as an example of a skin to choose if one wants recognition. (As it turns out, Gaile & I had a very similar exchange some time back, where we both agreed that sometimes, it's worth changing a build to fit a skin you really like. Although, I think we were discussing a different legendary.)

Thanks for the continued advice folks....

God help me but I think im going to have to adjust to a completely new profession with Revenant or Guardian, learn to melee ( ish) and go for a very specific type of build and then hope Anet doesn't drastically change that class meta!!

Actually Im still considering the much more expensive compromise still of doing the above to make Moot and then waiting to see Sceptre so that all my Scholars get some bling too, I realise that's a big commitment and that I am very frivolous for even considering bankrupting myself for Disco Bling

- I would currently consider my main to be my Necro, but im also looking at starting to WvW abit more after a long break - i heard Guardians are good there? mayyyybe Guardians with Maces? lol

Here is the Disco Warrior I mentioned before, I will be unashamedy riffing his look on my female Asura warrior should I get the Moot - his musical choice is on point.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > So for example, in @"Danikat.8537"'s example, if you chose the Dreamer, you'd probably end up with a human Bearbow (annoying sounds/animations to match the build that unhinges so many players)

> >

> > Hey I resemble that stereotype! Although traditionally a bearbow build uses a longbow so they can stay safely out of danger, letting the pet tank and using minimal effort to complete things, and of course the Dreamer is a shortbow. And _my_ human female ranger is usually right in the middle of things, which is one reason I eventually chose the shortbow over longbow (that and it shoots freaking unicorns!).

>

> Um, erm, oops. Whether **you** used the weapon in that way didn't occur to me. Rather, it was that you mentioned the bow as an example of a skin to choose if one wants recognition. (As it turns out, Gaile & I had a very similar exchange some time back, where we both agreed that sometimes, it's worth changing a build to fit a skin you really like. Although, I think we were discussing a different legendary.)

That's ok, any perceived anger in that post was entirely for comedy purposes. I do find it amusing though, I always like to design my own characters and builds without worrying about what's considered good or popular and normally end up with some weird combo no sane person would ever consider, but in this game the same approach lead to my main being a human female ranger with a bow...and then I dyed her armour purple and gave her the Dreamer. I'm not sure popular is the right word for it, but it seems to be a common enough combination that everyone has their thoughts on it and many of them choose to share those thoughts with the players in question. (I'm almost tempted to put her in the Viper skirt and Krytan top, and cat or bunny ears, to finish the 'look' but I swear the character glares at me if I so much as preview it.)

But to go back to the original topic I think it did give me a useful insight into character customisation, which I think comes in useful when making legendaries. I made my first one late enough that no one was going to be impressed simply by having a legendary, I picked one which people either love or hate and only the haters seem to comment on, and when I made it shortbow wasn't even considered a good choice for a ranger (this was back when conditions were pretty useless). But I did it anyway because it's a _bow that shoots **unicorns**_ - it's the single most absurd thing I've ever seen in a game and I love it too much not to make it. And I've never regretted it.

Whereas if I'd gone with a 'sensible' choice (which at the time I think would have been a greatsword) the usefulness and popularity would still have changed over time, but I wouldn't have enjoyed using it nearly as much and would probably have reskinned it or switched to a different weapon by now.

I'd just go with whichever you like the best, and find a character to use it. Basically because that's what I'm doing. I've been playing for years but have only just made the decision to go for a legendary. My main is a staff weaver, so I'd been umming and aahing over making The Bifrost or Nevermore, but I don't really like either of them and she already has a staff with the perfect skin for her look, so it'd be pretty pointless.

So I decided to go for Astralaria because it's my fave, and remembered I had a Norn Guardian that I'd not really done anything with, so I figured I'd work on her and gear her up as a Firebrand so she could use Astralaria. And then discovered I love playing Firebrand and I love playing her and I have a theme in mind for her look (she's gonna be all frost and stars) so got hold of the Glacial torch skin, and am having a blast with her alongside my main while they both work together getting everything I need for my legendary. And I wouldn't have discovered her at all if I'd just gone for a so-so staff legendary for the sake of it.

So, yeah, do that.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Or make a legendary for me and call it a day ... your choice. B)

Of only I had the Gold to hand them out lol, at this point as I may never raid I may as well bankrupt myself making a couple of Legendaries and filling out my wardrobe so those very occasional keys and possible wardrobe unlocks are good!

> @"Silverstar.7415" said:

and remembered I had a Norn Guardian that I'd not really done anything with,

Yes so this is my plan I think, im going to kit out my Guardian and Rev tomorrow, do Pve WvW and brave a little Pvp see if I can adjust to the play style and if a Mace build works for me make Moot - like you said - I may really like it and my 'other' main is an Ele so im pretty much in the same boat as you ( don't like the Staffs and the replaced animation issue)

Then I will look at making a second one that's more aimed at covering a few scholar class builds.

What on earth do I do with the 2.5 thousand Auric dust I have though?! delete?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > So for example, in @"Danikat.8537"'s example, if you chose the Dreamer, you'd probably end up with a human Bearbow (annoying sounds/animations to match the build that unhinges so many players)

> > >

But I did it anyway because it's a _bow that shoots **unicorns**_ - it's the single most absurd thing I've ever seen in a game and I love it too much not to make it. And I've never regretted it.

THIS is the bottom line for me - im 'practical' in general in game, im trying currently to make ascended armor that can be used across wvw and pve for several characters, which is a headache, but those 'joke' Legendaries crack me up, it feels right to blow my mats and cash on something that just looks hilarious and great - I want the Unicorn bow too if im honest and the Minstrel.

Everything looks better with a Disco Ball in the vicinity....