Would you like to see underwater content in the next LS/EXP and why (if they rework combat system)?

Evil.1580

No, because I don't think that it'd be worth the effort. So far I've never seen an MMO that makes underwater combat enjoyable. It'd take a lot of resources to reworking the current system (which definitely needs more gear, and more usable abilities), and it still probably wouldn't be much fun.

...if I was designing it, I'd give every player some kind of underwater vessel and make the combat work like it does in Elite: Dangerous.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> No, because I don't think that it'd be worth the effort. So far I've never seen an MMO that makes underwater combat enjoyable. It'd take a lot of resources to reworking the current system (which definitely needs more gear, and more usable abilities), and it still probably wouldn't be much fun.

>

> ...if I was designing it, I'd give every player some kind of underwater vessel and make the combat work like it does in Elite: Dangerous.

which MMO have you seen with underwater combat?

This will be instead the pool during ANET meeting

_Would you like to rework the entire underwater combat system and skills in order to make it more enjoyable for players and create a whole expansion based on it?_

_... err... Nope?_

Cause it's not a "target system" mmo like wow and others, gw2 underwater combat has many issues, mostly skill related.

Some underwater exploration could be nice, but some.

Have to swim all the time would be boring as hell.

> @symke.3105 said:

> Movement under water feels very cumbersome and added with 3D placement makes underwater combat something I do not desire to see more of.

If you want to see cumbersome go from swimming on the surface to underwater combat while using the keyboard. Oh wait! You can not right now because the only way you can dive is to use a mouse. Then prepare for more of this awkwardness as you change your z coord underwater.

> @Menadena.7482 said:

> > @bOTEB.1573 said:

> > Looks like most people would love to see such content. I bet it would be fun.

> >

> > Steve is awaiting :)

>

> Are we reading the same forum? They need to fix what they have before it is even a valid question!

Yes bro, we are reading the same forum, same topic. Not sure if you read the title or saw the votes :)

I'd like to see an underwater expansion, just not for the _next_ expansion. Would make 0 sense for the story. That being said, I'm going to just assume that they wont even have us personally deal with the underwater dragon, probably just some kind of chain reaction from the others or make it unnecessary.

However if they added an underwater expansion, the complaints about underwater combat being horrible is kinda silly. Lets be real here, if they added one, they'd probably add new specs _specifically designed to fight underwater._ So new skills, traits, ect. But again, its still a ton of work and I wouldn't imagine they'd want to go through that as it'd probably take way longer to design compared to other expansions.

> @mist.9807 said:

> I'd like to see an underwater expansion, just not for the _next_ expansion. Would make 0 sense for the story. That being said, I'm going to just assume that they wont even have us personally deal with the underwater dragon, probably just some kind of chain reaction from the others or make it unnecessary.

> However if they added an underwater expansion, the complaints about underwater combat being horrible is kinda silly. Lets be real here, if they added one, they'd probably add new specs _specifically designed to fight underwater._ So new skills, traits, ect. But again, its still a ton of work and I wouldn't imagine they'd want to go through that as it'd probably take way longer to design compared to other expansions.

But we don't know how the LW season 4 will twist the story?

Plus, in which region we have place for so many expansions? We have 2-3 places where they can position the expansion maps, assuming they are as big as the hot or pof maps. And let's keep in mind that we will have several maps spread across Tyria from the living season.

Janthir's Bay/Islands and Unending Ocean are mostly water content. Far Shiverpeaks are 50% water... We already have significantly more water content in the previous maps there. So if we are going there with the next living world season or with next expansion there should be some combat improvements for underwater content. The other choices are Blood Legion homelands, Dzalana and Scavenger's Causeway.

I'm sorry but I can not vote yes or no as i am 50/50 on water combat. I do like seeing it here n there like you see in core gw2, but an expansion entirely based apon it and or like a reverse core gw2 say more water than land combat, would be a pretty bad idea. As another said, water combat is pretty limited to some classes, revenant is a good example. As an entire trait line and elite spec itself is completely worthless in water combat, it cant be used there at all. Water combat was cool back in 2012 when gw2 was new and us players was new to the concept, but now I rarely touch water anymore, even with chars that are fully capable of doing so. I rarely ever see people in water combat compared to 2012-2014.

About the only time you see another in water is for a champ boss, but to be fair if that champ boss was on land instead people would fight it to and probably prefer to fight on land and only end up in water because they have no other choice.

If a water only expansion was to be released, as another said it would take alot of re-working on water combat to really be any fun and worth my time as a whole. They would need a big deal upgrade like mounts in my opinion was one of the primary selling points for PoF. If at the moment in the way water combat currently is, if I bought an expansion based apon it, I wouldn't be buying it for the story or new map contents, I'd be buying it for elite spec or some other bonus. Because the way water combat itself as a whole is today (without a rework). It is bit lackluster and sometimes depending class a huge hassle.

No. Just no. I despise underwater everything and I somehow don't believe that they can make it any better. They'd better have a lot of islands/boats, and even then it would suck. I don't really think we're going to go to the Sea of Sorrows, probably just have a cutscene of being in a boat going across it or something.

How about... Deep sea maps where rebreathers simply don't work. Such maps would only accessible while piloting a vehicle, such as underwater battle golem. Which would remove the extra movement axis, and make it possible to have proper exploration, jumping puzzles, etc.

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> How about... Deep sea maps where rebreathers simply don't work. Such maps would only accessible while piloting a vehicle, such as underwater battle golem. Which would remove the extra movement axis, and make it possible to have proper exploration, jumping puzzles, etc.

Sorry no - people would love regular underwater content with major combat improvements and masteries.

I would love an underwater expansion. Keep in mind the whole thing doesn't need to be underwater. It can open up to huge caverns that have air in them so they are normal combat. Maybe meet a new society that have created tech to keep the water out of their caverns. But yes lots of underwater combat and regular combat.

I'd love them to rework underwater, but don't want content in it. Turn aquabreathers into cosmetics/delete them and let us use our headgear as a 6th slot like normal. Enable/fix all skills to work underwater. Fix all the nonsense traits that are terrestrial only in nature.

overall though underwater is a very bland design space even for GW2.

YESSSS. ofc with underwater expansion means underwater rework. They started with such a system best to see it actually well done.

Yes to ships and naval battles as well. Why not? We already have fortresses and siege and mounts now and so on. Itd be a similar kind of system.

Lore features a lot of airships and ships and pirates such as Lions Arch. We already have Krait, Quaggan, Largos, Karka and

so on.

I think we already have a good infrastructure to support a good underwater theme.

We are very close. All that's missing is some adjustments to player control and agency and balance. Underwater bosses and events we have now is fun.

What is not fun for me is not being able to use alot of the skills as they were not adapted for uunderwater.

As well as being unable to judge distance or range with the verticality and navigation. If there is something to help vision and distance and so on that would help a bunch.