Please adjust the price of gen 1 Legendary Weapons.

Zaraki.5784

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > >

> > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > >

> > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

>

> "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > > >

> > > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > > >

> > > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

> >

> > "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

>

> That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

>

> No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

Nevermind, you don't seem to understand but I'm referencing long before crafting and clearly you didn't play back then because precursors were over 1000g to buy and I remember this because I made 3 legendaries back then long before crafting and collections was a thing.

I don't want to derail this thread even further explaining this, my original post was more of a "be thankful you don't have to spend that absurd amount anymore" sorta comment but apparently you got no idea what it was like back then, I for one am thankful they introduced the option to craft and collect, it significantly dropped the TP prices.

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > > > >

> > > > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

> > >

> > > "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

> >

> > That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

> >

> > No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

>

> Nevermind, you don't seem to understand but I'm referencing long before crafting and clearly you didn't play back then because precursors were over 1000g to buy and I remember this because I made 3 legendaries back then long before crafting and collections was a thing.

I do remember that time. I also remember the time when dusk was 100g to buy. So? Which time we should use as a comparison?

At the time (some) precursors could be bought at prices at over 1000g, the mat prices were also higher, and thus the crafting costs using the current recipes would have been higher as well.

Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were _no_ crafting costs.

> I don't want to derail this thread even further explaining this, my original post was more of a "be thankful you don't have to spend that absurd amount anymore" sorta comment but apparently you got no idea what it was like back then, I for one am thankful they introduced the option to craft and collect, _it significantly dropped the TP prices._

Not really. The prices really dropped significantly only when the prices of rares (and mats to craft those) tanked. Because a lot of the precursors on sale was a result of forging, not random drops. (well, they did drop once due to prec crafting announcement, but they got up back again once people realized the crafting wasn't really any cheaper. which took only days after the recipes were known). Though i do agree that it's good that the prices are lower now (both on crafting and tp).

Yes, it's a "player-driven economy" but the prices change according to Anet decisions, there will always be a slow change over-time, the more people farm. But Anet can reduce or increase drop rates to alter the value of an item, previously expensive items can become super cheap because they suddenly start dropping in bulks.

Anet controls the market in the end, they can decide wheter an item will be in abundance or not.

You cannot compare a game economy with an actual economy, which i have a feeling people are doing.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

> > > >

> > > > "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

> > >

> > > That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

> > >

> > > No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

> >

> > Nevermind, you don't seem to understand but I'm referencing long before crafting and clearly you didn't play back then because precursors were over 1000g to buy and I remember this because I made 3 legendaries back then long before crafting and collections was a thing.

> I do remember that time. I also remember the time when dusk was 100g to buy. So? Which time we should use as a comparison?

> At the time (some) precursors could be bought at prices at over 1000g, the mat prices were also higher, and thus the crafting costs using the current recipes would have been higher as well.

>

> Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were _no_ crafting costs.

>

> > I don't want to derail this thread even further explaining this, my original post was more of a "be thankful you don't have to spend that absurd amount anymore" sorta comment but apparently you got no idea what it was like back then, I for one am thankful they introduced the option to craft and collect, _it significantly dropped the TP prices._

>

> Not really. The prices really dropped significantly only when the prices of rares (and mats to craft those) tanked. Because a lot of the precursors on sale was a result of forging, not random drops. (well, they did drop once due to prec crafting announcement, but they got up back again once people realized the crafting wasn't really any cheaper. which took only days after the recipes were known). Though i do agree that it's good that the prices are lower now (both on crafting and tp).

>

>

![](https://i.imgur.com/IJALrlX.png "")

There was no crafting on precursors at all before March 2015, no recipes, no MATS, no collections, nothing but drops and the forge, you say there was but that just shows how long you have actually played for because you don't know what it was like before crafting and collections.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

BUT

It was a simple comment so to put an end to this, I've gathered the picture for you which shows well over 1000g, I've also added a link so you have irrefutable evidence as to what I have said.

you're welcome to keep persisting that it was never the case though but I think it might be easier just to accept that the comment was a "be thankful we don't have to pay that much anymore" like I said it was.

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

> > > > >

> > > > > "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

> > > >

> > > > That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

> > > >

> > > > No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

> > >

> > > Nevermind, you don't seem to understand but I'm referencing long before crafting and clearly you didn't play back then because precursors were over 1000g to buy and I remember this because I made 3 legendaries back then long before crafting and collections was a thing.

> > I do remember that time. I also remember the time when dusk was 100g to buy. So? Which time we should use as a comparison?

> > At the time (some) precursors could be bought at prices at over 1000g, the mat prices were also higher, and thus the crafting costs using the current recipes would have been higher as well.

> >

> > Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were _no_ crafting costs.

> >

> > > I don't want to derail this thread even further explaining this, my original post was more of a "be thankful you don't have to spend that absurd amount anymore" sorta comment but apparently you got no idea what it was like back then, I for one am thankful they introduced the option to craft and collect, _it significantly dropped the TP prices._

> >

> > Not really. The prices really dropped significantly only when the prices of rares (and mats to craft those) tanked. Because a lot of the precursors on sale was a result of forging, not random drops. (well, they did drop once due to prec crafting announcement, but they got up back again once people realized the crafting wasn't really any cheaper. which took only days after the recipes were known). Though i do agree that it's good that the prices are lower now (both on crafting and tp).

> >

> >

>

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/IJALrlX.png "")

>

> There was no crafting on precursors at all before March 2015, no recipes, no MATS, no collections, nothing but drops and the forge, you say there was but that just shows how long you have actually played for because you don't know what it was like before crafting and collections.

> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

>

> BUT

>

> It was a simple comment so to put an end to this, I've gathered the picture for you which shows well over 1000g, I've also added a link so you have irrefutable evidence as to what I have said.

>

> you're welcome to keep persisting that it was never the case though but I think it might be easier just to accept that the comment was a "be thankful we don't have to pay that much anymore" like I said it was.

>

That has nothing to do with this topic, I'm not complaing about nowadays price, I'm complaining about the actual discrepancy between TP price and collection price.

I have to quote @Astralporing.1957 because it explained it perfectly: "Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were no crafting costs.".

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

> > > > >

> > > > > That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

> > > >

> > > > Nevermind, you don't seem to understand but I'm referencing long before crafting and clearly you didn't play back then because precursors were over 1000g to buy and I remember this because I made 3 legendaries back then long before crafting and collections was a thing.

> > > I do remember that time. I also remember the time when dusk was 100g to buy. So? Which time we should use as a comparison?

> > > At the time (some) precursors could be bought at prices at over 1000g, the mat prices were also higher, and thus the crafting costs using the current recipes would have been higher as well.

> > >

> > > Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were _no_ crafting costs.

> > >

> > > > I don't want to derail this thread even further explaining this, my original post was more of a "be thankful you don't have to spend that absurd amount anymore" sorta comment but apparently you got no idea what it was like back then, I for one am thankful they introduced the option to craft and collect, _it significantly dropped the TP prices._

> > >

> > > Not really. The prices really dropped significantly only when the prices of rares (and mats to craft those) tanked. Because a lot of the precursors on sale was a result of forging, not random drops. (well, they did drop once due to prec crafting announcement, but they got up back again once people realized the crafting wasn't really any cheaper. which took only days after the recipes were known). Though i do agree that it's good that the prices are lower now (both on crafting and tp).

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/IJALrlX.png "")

> >

> > There was no crafting on precursors at all before March 2015, no recipes, no MATS, no collections, nothing but drops and the forge, you say there was but that just shows how long you have actually played for because you don't know what it was like before crafting and collections.

> > https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

> >

> > BUT

> >

> > It was a simple comment so to put an end to this, I've gathered the picture for you which shows well over 1000g, I've also added a link so you have irrefutable evidence as to what I have said.

> >

> > you're welcome to keep persisting that it was never the case though but I think it might be easier just to accept that the comment was a "be thankful we don't have to pay that much anymore" like I said it was.

> >

>

> That has nothing to do with this topic, I'm not complaing about nowadays price, I'm complaining about the actual discrepancy between TP price and collection price.

> I have to quote @Astralporing.1957 because it explained it perfectly: "Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were no crafting costs.".

My original comment was friendly and in direct response to a comment, not the original post which is why I quoted the comment and NOT the post but now this has turned into plain stupidity.

I thought saying "be thankful it's not overpriced anymore" twice would have been enough to clear up any confusion but clearly not.

Maybe if we restart the conversation with different answers that are more direct because I'm starting to believe we have some miscommunication here.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > >

> > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> >

> > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> >

> >

>

> I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

Yes, precursors are a lot more affordable now days. Be thankful they're still not extremely over priced.

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You should have made a Legendary while Precursors were nearly 1000g each.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don't get it, is that irony? Because now precursors on TP are cheaper.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "collection price is out of this world".... Old precursors were double to triple the price of the collections before crafting them became a thing.

> > > > >

> > > > > That was pretty much never the case. Some were slightly more costly on tp, but most was more costly to craft (in some cases _way_ more expensive to craft, at that). That's from the very first day precursor crafting was introduced.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, we can't compare crafting prices from one day with tp prices from a completely different time period.

> > > >

> > > > Nevermind, you don't seem to understand but I'm referencing long before crafting and clearly you didn't play back then because precursors were over 1000g to buy and I remember this because I made 3 legendaries back then long before crafting and collections was a thing.

> > > I do remember that time. I also remember the time when dusk was 100g to buy. So? Which time we should use as a comparison?

> > > At the time (some) precursors could be bought at prices at over 1000g, the mat prices were also higher, and thus the crafting costs using the current recipes would have been higher as well.

> > >

> > > Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were _no_ crafting costs.

> > >

> > > > I don't want to derail this thread even further explaining this, my original post was more of a "be thankful you don't have to spend that absurd amount anymore" sorta comment but apparently you got no idea what it was like back then, I for one am thankful they introduced the option to craft and collect, _it significantly dropped the TP prices._

> > >

> > > Not really. The prices really dropped significantly only when the prices of rares (and mats to craft those) tanked. Because a lot of the precursors on sale was a result of forging, not random drops. (well, they did drop once due to prec crafting announcement, but they got up back again once people realized the crafting wasn't really any cheaper. which took only days after the recipes were known). Though i do agree that it's good that the prices are lower now (both on crafting and tp).

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/IJALrlX.png "")

> >

> > There was no crafting on precursors at all before March 2015, no recipes, no MATS, no collections, nothing but drops and the forge, you say there was but that just shows how long you have actually played for because you don't know what it was like before crafting and collections.

> > https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

> >

> > BUT

> >

> > It was a simple comment so to put an end to this, I've gathered the picture for you which shows well over 1000g, I've also added a link so you have irrefutable evidence as to what I have said.

> >

> > you're welcome to keep persisting that it was never the case though but I think it might be easier just to accept that the comment was a "be thankful we don't have to pay that much anymore" like I said it was.

> >

>

> That has nothing to do with this topic, I'm not complaing about nowadays price, I'm complaining about the actual discrepancy between TP price and collection price.

> I have to quote @Astralporing.1957 because it explained it perfectly: "Notice, that the OP is not really complaining at how high the crafting price is, but at the difference between crafting price and TP one, so that second value alone is mostly irelevant to the discussion if you can't compare it to the crafting costs. And at the time you speak of there were no crafting costs.".

Always was a cost either get a random drop and be super lucky.

Or toss 100s of rares into the mystic forge.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > Since you already know buying directly is cheaper why not just go and buy if your goal is getting it for the cheapest? Some collections also provide some extra bit of stuff. Colossus' collection happens to be one of those.

> >

> > If fact buying it on TP it's what I'm gonna do, I was just arguing the price of the collection which, IMO, is out of the world...

>

> That’s because you’re basing it on the wrong reason. It never was based on current trading post prices but was a way to earn by playing and not paying or gambling.

Sorry, but this GW2-forum like argumentation is flawed. When they introduced the precursor crafting, they set the collections according to the current prices. I.e. it was always much cheaper to complete the collections for underwater precursors. With that idea in mind, anet _was_ actually trying to achieve similar prices for collection and precursors in the TP. That's why the OP's argument is correct: in an ideal world, they would alter the recipes/collections according to the current prices. But in reality, it's nearly impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Seera.5916" said:

> > @"Conncept.7638" said:

> > > @"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:

> > > TP prices are set by supply and demand of players, not by Arena Net. Cost of materials for the collection are also set by supply and demand of players, not Arena Net. So what you're asking for is not going to happen.

> >

> > Haha, good one, now please explain to me how the people who literally utterly and solely controlhow many of X items appear in the world per Y amount of players, do not completely control supply of said items.

> >

> > GW2 does not have a player driven economy by any stretch of the imagination, that was a load of nonsense made up by the games (thankfully) ex-economist.

> >

> > That being said, the devs already stated long ago that TP prices are supposed to be lower because it's a consistent method for obtaining the item, and you don't have to pay for it in one lump sum but instead over the course of the legendary journey; it's always more expensive to pay for something over time than all at once.

>

> It is a player driven economy based on supply and demand that's set by ANet. ANet has an idea of what price range they want specific items to be (ie: the more rare they want the item, the higher the cost for example) and they adjust supply and/or demand accordingly when those prices get out of those ranges.

>

> Like their decision to not let certain PoF materials be automatically deposited in order to get more players to sell on the TP when clearing their bags to keep the common PoF material costs down on the TP instead of the high costs that they saw the common HoT materials go to when HoT launched.

>

> ANet doesn't directly control the prices. They can only influence them by adjusting supply (increasing/decreasing the drop/salvage rates) and/or demand (changing/adding recipes). But ANet has no idea the exact price things will balance out to. They just hope it lands within their range of acceptable.

First paragraph, ANet sets prices.

Third paragraph, ANet doesn't directly control prices.

Which is it?

The reality, ANet does set prices, which we have an effect on, but not which we can control, and that is by definition not a consumer driven economy. In a consumer driven economy a consumer has the ability to directly create a previously non-existent source of goods or services; at a higher or lower quality, price, and availability. That isn't possible in GW2, we can't make new areas and mobs for items to drop in, even if more players farm for an item more players will inherently also demand it as it becomes more available, only slightly altering the the ratio within the parameters ANet set. Therefore there is only one manufacturer of all goods, and no competition, and it's not possible to have a consumer driven economy under those circumstances.

Now is that really an issue? No, I would not want a real consumer driven economy in any videogame I play. For one, most of us are here to escape that crap, and two, every game that has tried has utterly failed to do so, and ends up a laughably predatory caricature of capitalism, looking at you Eve Online.

> @"Conncept.7638" said:

> > @"Seera.5916" said:

> > > @"Conncept.7638" said:

> > > > @"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:

> > > > TP prices are set by supply and demand of players, not by Arena Net. Cost of materials for the collection are also set by supply and demand of players, not Arena Net. So what you're asking for is not going to happen.

> > >

> > > Haha, good one, now please explain to me how the people who literally utterly and solely controlhow many of X items appear in the world per Y amount of players, do not completely control supply of said items.

> > >

> > > GW2 does not have a player driven economy by any stretch of the imagination, that was a load of nonsense made up by the games (thankfully) ex-economist.

> > >

> > > That being said, the devs already stated long ago that TP prices are supposed to be lower because it's a consistent method for obtaining the item, and you don't have to pay for it in one lump sum but instead over the course of the legendary journey; it's always more expensive to pay for something over time than all at once.

> >

> > It is a player driven economy based on supply and demand that's set by ANet. ANet has an idea of what price range they want specific items to be (ie: the more rare they want the item, the higher the cost for example) and they adjust supply and/or demand accordingly when those prices get out of those ranges.

> >

> > Like their decision to not let certain PoF materials be automatically deposited in order to get more players to sell on the TP when clearing their bags to keep the common PoF material costs down on the TP instead of the high costs that they saw the common HoT materials go to when HoT launched.

> >

> > ANet doesn't directly control the prices. They can only influence them by adjusting supply (increasing/decreasing the drop/salvage rates) and/or demand (changing/adding recipes). But ANet has no idea the exact price things will balance out to. They just hope it lands within their range of acceptable.

>

> First paragraph, ANet sets prices.

> Third paragraph, ANet doesn't directly control prices.

>

> Which is it?

>

> The reality, ANet does set prices, which we have an effect on, but not which we can control, and that is by definition not a consumer driven economy. In a consumer driven economy a consumer has the ability to directly create a previously non-existent source of goods or services; at a higher or lower quality, price, and availability. That isn't possible in GW2, we can't make new areas and mobs for items to drop in, even if more players farm for an item more players will inherently also demand it as it becomes more available, only slightly altering the the ratio within the parameters ANet set. Therefore there is only one manufacturer of all goods, and no competition, and it's not possible to have a consumer driven economy under those circumstances.

>

> Now is that really an issue? No, I would not want a real consumer driven economy in any videogame I play. For one, most of us are here to escape that crap, and two, every game that has tried has utterly failed to do so, and ends up a laughably predatory caricature of capitalism, looking at you Eve Online.

First paragraph and third paragraph say the same thing in different ways. That ANet sets the prices indirectly through their ability to control supply and demand. We players are the ones who decide what price points coincide to the current levels of supply and demand. It's a player driven economy because we're the ones that ultimately determine what the price is.