What are the worst deficiencies for Necro?

Anchoku.8142

Lack of stability or utilities in shroud, LF decay rate.

Pretty much sums it up. PvE raid DPS is low but there's no way to balance it with shroud. They'd need a shroudless spec to have something in the optimal DPS role, and even then, you're contending necro vs thief as very selfish classes, and if one is on top for DPS, the other is completely worthless. Encounter design is the fix here and the only reasonable fix at that.

* Core trait lines, except for blood magic, do not have enough group support in utility, defense, or offense. The other core trait lines should each have some small support option that becomes competitive support when three lines are set for it.

* MH dagger needs a purpose.

* Making torch OH was a mistake. Main hand would have been better because it would have isolated it from scepter AA dps and made balancing Scourge easier.

* Fix pathing issues.

* Reaper needs more pressure to keep enemies in melee and power scaling for competitive dps.

* Scourge has enormous corruption capabilitybut some could be traded for true blocks, reflects, or other immunity-like scales.

There are more issues, I am sure, but these are the ones that I remember, first.

Unlike other classes almost our entire kit is dependant on encounter/teammates.

Enemies got no boons? There goes huge chunk of you utility.

Allies are good and not dying all the time? There goes your prime support as resser.

A party buff that's always useful and unique to necro? None.

A strong dps option if all above fail? None.

Worst deficiencies? Wow... I've got so many things that pop up in my head that I just can't chose...

If I had to point one thing... I'd say that the worst deficiency is that the necromancer's mechanisms have all a high potential in PvP/WvW but a poor efficiency in PvE. This lead to an unavoidable imbalance at the core of the very profession. For me as long as anet try to push forward those mechanisms, the necromancer is bound to break the game in PvP/WvW and be in a bad position in PvE. Like I said in another thread, minions, life siphon, boon corruption, the shroud, dark fields... all of those tools that are valuable against players limit the necromancer growth and efficiency in other area of the game because there is a need to balance those tools around PvP where they are already very effective.

Core:

- balanced like the state of the game was still 2012: no dps, no mobility, slow, no stability, poor LF generation, predictable

Reaper:

- crazy burst (personally I am back to full berserk roaming since a few days, because burst and two dodges is everything we have and gearing for toughness while sacrificing damage just makes things worse in the current state of the game)

- easily outsustainable if you know the class mechanic or simply play warrior where defense traitline will do the job for you

Scourge:

- in dire/trailblazer a sitting duck, but one you have to range or leave alone because it will destroy you when coming close while you only damage its barriers but not its HP pool

- in other gear a freekill for everyone

- in general poor static buttonmash design and to me unfortunately (as I main necro) the worst PoF elite spec

> @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> > > no offensive support (where is the pulsing +150 CDMG buff?)

> > >

> >

> > The core engineer got it.

>

> oh yeaah, expertise then

The problem with that being most people playing condi are already trying to max out condi duration (either across all condis or in their "primary" condi). This buff sounds good in theory but would be wasted ina decent amount of cases (and people won't have a secondary build just for when they have a Necro running it).

> @"Amerikajinn.4635" said:

> > @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> > > @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> > > > @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> > > > no offensive support (where is the pulsing +150 CDMG buff?)

> > > >

> > >

> > > The core engineer got it.

> >

> > oh yeaah, expertise then

>

> The problem with that being most people playing condi are already trying to max out condi duration (either across all condis or in their "primary" condi). This buff sounds good in theory but would be wasted ina decent amount of cases (and people won't have a secondary build just for when they have a Necro running it).

This!

In theory other players could change parts of their gear from viper to sinister to maximize damage. Practically they will invite the class that buffs them without the need to change gear.

I suspect that if/when might is changed to corrupt into something else, like vulnerability, that, alone, will be a significant nerf in PvP and people will find Scourge a lot easier to handle.

The intense condi pressure of Scourge is a big part of its sustain. Remove weakness spam from might corruption and Scourge may be an easier kill.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> In theory other players could change parts of their gear from viper to sinister to maximize damage. Practically they will invite the class that buffs them without the need to change gear.

150 expertise is 10% condi damage. anyone can just get a bonus weapon in their inventory that replaces malice sigil (if used in build)

also many classes don't max out duration, or they max out only one condi and others are left at 80-90%.

> > @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > In theory other players could change parts of their gear from viper to sinister to maximize damage. Practically they will invite the class that buffs them without the need to change gear.

>

> 150 expertise is 10% condi damage. anyone can just get a bonus weapon in their inventory that replaces malice sigil (if used in build)

> also many classes don't max out duration, or they max out only one condi and others are left at 80-90%.

Yes and lets hope condi meta will never end... or else we will be useless again.

When GW2 released, I thought a debuffer profession sounded good. Why would it not be guaranteed welcome in groups?

Well, trash mobs do not heal, do not have boons, do not care about conditions, and usually died to burst damage before low dps condi. Soon after release, bosses were made immune to most debuffs, anyway. Later, all professions had their condi output increased and received more condi cleanse to compensate.

Meanwhile, minions stared at flowers and regularly derped.

The Necro profession as a debuffing class never was any good at it until Scourge and its massive corruption capability in PvP and WvW. Unfortunately, debuffing is still underpowered in PvE.

Core Shroud is not up to date and its role is unclear. It seems to be a kind of melee juggernaut, as it has a shadowstep (target only), and 3 PBAoE abilities of varying levels of power (overall really weak damage wise). The auto attack is a hard hitting, pure power attack with a long cast time.

It's really weird. Both Reaper and Scourge are superior melee monsters in terms of damage. They should just convert all Core Shroud skills to be target ground or target player ranged aoes.

Tanking attacks on life force and also using life force for damage is really awkward on Core/Reaper shroud. Like if you use shroud to properly absorb damage, you have nothing left to deal damage with, so you just lose. Scourge, ironically, actually does fairly well with the way it handles offense, life force, and durability. Could use cast times (with stability) and an increase in damage.

Weapons lack defensive uses. This is why fighting ranged classes is extra difficult. Necro not only has poor mobility, but also has to just eat damage for free pretty much all the time. Other classes, even if you don't slot a single mobility skill, can at least cover themselves with blocks, boons, evades, w/e. Necro can just walk, and eat damage.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> Core:

> - balanced like the state of the game was still 2012: no dps, no mobility, slow, no stability, poor LF generation, predictable

>

> Reaper:

> - crazy burst (personally I am back to full berserk roaming since a few days, because burst and two dodges is everything we have and gearing for toughness while sacrificing damage just makes things worse in the current state of the game)

> - easily outsustainable if you know the class mechanic or simply play warrior where defense traitline will do the job for you

>

> Scourge:

> - in dire/trailblazer a sitting duck, but one you have to range or leave alone because it will destroy you when coming close while you only damage its barriers but not its HP pool

> - in other gear a freekill for everyone

> - in general poor static buttonmash design and to me unfortunately (as I main necro) the worst PoF elite spec

Great summary!

But id like to add or correct some things.

The reaper burst isnt even anything near the one of other classes, that can even do it from 1200 range.

And second, you can win like 70% to 90% of fights while playing reaper against scourge.

Well you can with every class, if you know, what scourge is capable of. Even if hes full dire/trailblaizer

> >because burst and two dodges is everything we have and gearing for toughness while sacrificing damage just makes things worse in the current state of the game)

This.

As Reaper {Core power} No use going anything but full damage and hope for mistakes to be made.

First interaction with enemies is crucial. no hit means no LF, no LF mean no spike negation (even with LF it's bottom of the barrel)

We are depending on making channel skills hit, or be hit, to be able to use DS.

Our Weapon skills are too slow to be a primary source of damage their use is building LF and boonstrip/ transfer. (especially staff, though reapers should use GS /Axe/Dagger)

(primary example is downed enemies being healed to full by one player while necro is pouring full power damage on them with 2-3k , 8 hit, full channelling axe and what not) it takes more time to kill downed players trough damage (DS is used to down them) then to down them.

In comes Sourge enemy..

Forget everything I said, reroll ranger or play very very well and pray he won't get support.

> reaper burst is on ranger-level. nothing compared to dh, holo, ele or even thief.

What. If it that would be the case. Reper could destroy literally every class. Ranger, esp soulbeast has such an high dmg burst, like40-50k in less than 2 seconds. Unbuffed

> @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> > reaper burst is on ranger-level. nothing compared to dh, holo, ele or even thief.

>

> What. If it that would be the case. Reper could destroy literally every class. Ranger, esp soulbeast has such an high dmg burst, like40-50k in less than 2 seconds. Unbuffed

so where is the ranger destroying literally every class? haven't noticed any