Charr Lore introducing new posture for Charrs.

Galahad.7386

This is more an aesthetic requests since I super like Charrs but sometimes looking at it from the side make my toon looked like a standing snake human with furs, huge fangs and feet. Since adding this will introduce gaps to their whole story and lore (i think) that suddenly we have a short neck always standing tall Charr, maybe on future developments it could introduce a lore for short necked Charrs? Based on the artworks on this side and on Holosmith EliteSpec Hero points, it shows short necked Charrs compared to the actual Charr toon.

Some may want this feature but none of other races kinda hooked me aesthetically, on the other hand this snake look somewhat from Charr kinda bugs me.

Edit: I'm not sure if this needs a lore or just a revamp on the whole Charr toon(thinking about it on dev perspective is a huge work, i'll dig it if it's available on gem store)

I'm all good with the Charr, animations, movement, running on 4 legs. The neck part just seemed off to me. I don't want it to be the same with human feature too, just a slight changes to make it short or at least keep it higher same height with their shoulder, not way below their shoulder level.

The neck does seem a bit long, and it has a huge tendency to screw up many helm proportions and looks. It's definitely longer than GW1 models too. I think the reason may be the four leg running animations but I'm not entirely sure such would have been needed TBH.

However, we're 5-going-on-6 years into the game. A change would not happen.

And since this is purely art, no lore reasoning would be needed (and attempting to add such would be EXTREMELY jarring).

After messing with the character creation and the total makeover kit, I've seen some that portrays shorter neck Charr , head not way lower than their shoulder , though very few, it existed. Going to have my first Charr so, yeah! All good, just needs a couple of tries to find it.

A lore reason to make Charr stand straight? The only reason I can think of is them participating in politics more and want to see eye-to-eye with the taller Norn or tower over everyone else to look a bit imposing while having a "dignified human-like" posture to make dealings with humans more amiable. Beyond that, I don't really see much advantage for a digitigrade creature to walk upright at all, much less like a human. Having a more balanced and lower center of gravity just has more combat advantage compared.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> A lore reason to make Charr stand straight? The only reason I can think of is them participating in politics more and want to see eye-to-eye with the taller Norn or tower over everyone else to look a bit imposing while having a "dignified human-like" posture to make dealings with humans more amiable. Beyond that, I don't really see much advantage for a digitigrade creature to walk upright at all, much less like a human. Having a more balanced and lower center of gravity just has more combat advantage compared.

Having your eyes up higher means that you can see over things that might otherwise block your vision. In fact, I think that's one of the theories for why humans evolved to become so upright - in order to be able to see over long grass and other ground cover when human ancestors moved to the savannahs.

Regarding the charr: Charr spellcasters in GW1 typically did have upright postures. Flame Legion shamans in GW2 are still _more_ upright than most charr, albeit still with a horizontal neck rather than a vertical one.

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > A lore reason to make Charr stand straight? The only reason I can think of is them participating in politics more and want to see eye-to-eye with the taller Norn or tower over everyone else to look a bit imposing while having a "dignified human-like" posture to make dealings with humans more amiable. Beyond that, I don't really see much advantage for a digitigrade creature to walk upright at all, much less like a human. Having a more balanced and lower center of gravity just has more combat advantage compared.

>

> Having your eyes up higher means that you can see over things that might otherwise block your vision.

You could just be higher than what you're looking at, i.e. climb up something.

>In fact, I think that's one of the theories for why humans evolved to become so upright - in order to be able to see over long grass and other ground cover when human ancestors moved to the savannahs.

>

But they also evolved into a plantigrade gait and stance as well. Charr aren't plantigrade.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > A lore reason to make Charr stand straight? The only reason I can think of is them participating in politics more and want to see eye-to-eye with the taller Norn or tower over everyone else to look a bit imposing while having a "dignified human-like" posture to make dealings with humans more amiable. Beyond that, I don't really see much advantage for a digitigrade creature to walk upright at all, much less like a human. Having a more balanced and lower center of gravity just has more combat advantage compared.

> >

> > Having your eyes up higher means that you can see over things that might otherwise block your vision.

>

> You could just be higher than what you're looking at, i.e. climb up something.

Depends on the terrain. As I'd noted, the theory was that the selection pressure for a fully upright stance developed when humans moved onto the savannahs, where trees were relatively few on the ground and the things that would be blocking vision would be more along the lines of tall grass, bushes, and so on that aren't really practical to climb. Simply put, being taller means that your viewpoint is higher up even when you're not climbing something.

That said, among the Flame Legion, upright stances seem to be more social than anything - probably adopted so that the less physically imposing shamans can still be eye to eye with (or even look down on) the warrior castes rather than facing the embarrassment of being obviously smaller.

> @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"draxynnic.3719" said:

> > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > A lore reason to make Charr stand straight? The only reason I can think of is them participating in politics more and want to see eye-to-eye with the taller Norn or tower over everyone else to look a bit imposing while having a "dignified human-like" posture to make dealings with humans more amiable. Beyond that, I don't really see much advantage for a digitigrade creature to walk upright at all, much less like a human. Having a more balanced and lower center of gravity just has more combat advantage compared.

> > >

> > > Having your eyes up higher means that you can see over things that might otherwise block your vision.

> >

> > You could just be higher than what you're looking at, i.e. climb up something.

>

> Depends on the terrain. As I'd noted, the theory was that the selection pressure for a fully upright stance developed when humans moved onto the savannahs, where trees were relatively few on the ground and the things that would be blocking vision would be more along the lines of tall grass, bushes, and so on that aren't really practical to climb. Simply put, being taller means that your viewpoint is higher up even when you're not climbing something.

>

Regardless, we're talking about Charr, not humans, who would likely be the creatures using the grass to conceal their presence from their prey and using their particular vision and hearing (2 pairs) to stalk.

> That said, among the Flame Legion, upright stances seem to be more social than anything - probably adopted so that the less physically imposing shamans can still be eye to eye with (or even look down on) the warrior castes rather than facing the embarrassment of being obviously smaller.

I could see a social reason for standing upright (I did originally mention politics) but knowing players wouldn't want to be limited to only scholar classes for such a stance, linking it to inter-racial politics would be the only thing I could think of to make sense.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> The only reason I can think of is them participating in politics more and want to see eye-to-eye with the taller Norn or tower over everyone else to look a bit imposing while having a "dignified human-like" posture to make dealings with humans more amiable.

Already found a good charr preset(my only problem was they looked like snake attached to a lion body sometimes), found a way to make neck look shorter, so you can scratch that but about what you mentioned, count me in!

> @"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:

> My only gripe with the charr is...

>

> The huge fricken shoulder pauldrons. Oh my god you look like a football player on roids. And some of them just float off the character's body.

>

> And the running animation looks slow at times, but once you speed up just slightly, it looks natural.

That, and floating backpacks on female charr. I kinda wish they'd bring the old engineer kit backpacks in as back skins, since those skins were among the few that actually sat well on a female charr, and I'd really rather have a 'hobosack' that's actually attached to the character than something flashy that's obviously floating half a foot over my character's back.