RIP Server Identity and RP

Zhohan.3859

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Zhohan.3859" said:

> You guys don't seem to understand that servers can exist even if the new WvW changes are applied. That's what I'm advocating for.

You don’t seem to understand Megaserver system management. If a map population exceeds its threshold it creates a new one, and when it diminishes it closes them. If you zoned into any given map chances are it is 1 shard of maybe 1, 2 or 3 if you happen to time it onto a secondary event (Guild Missions, unscheduled World Bosses etc) Maybe more if a big event is going to happen. OF COURSE you will run into other players if you are on the only map shard which is currently open. That’s how the system works. There is no server, it is all Megaserver. Named servers only designate what colour you are in WvW, and its population of active WvW players determines whether your named server is full or not.

Now I don’t have the metrics Anet does, but chances are, this proposal will not change how the Megaserver in PvE currently works, like they said it won’t. RPers are everywhere, you don’t need to be on a particular server to find it at all. I run into them all the time, *because I happened to land on a map shard that is either the only one, or the least populated of 2/3.* Because that’s how the system works.

> @"Zhohan.3859" said:

> You guys don't seem to understand that servers can exist even if the new WvW changes are applied. That's what I'm advocating for.

To what end?

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> Server are literally meaningless.

Going forward, sure.

> It was bad idea to create this system to begin with.

At the game's launch? They were fundamental to WvW. It's a system that worked well, for a while. (It was undermined by a lot of factors though.)

> If you want to keep in touch with your fellow Rpers, make a guild/alliance. Solution is here, you are just unwilling to take it.

Agreed. @"Zhohan.3859" — it's entirely possible that this is going to turn to work better in the long run for RP than anything we had in place since megaservers went live.

There is a very simple solution to this: limit the changes to WvW only.

Removing shard selection from start up is arbitrary. It's being removed purely because it was no longer useful for WvW, but it is STILL useful for RPers.

The megaserver chooses channels first based on a priority: Friends List -> Guild -> Server. The latter allows RPers to play together without needing to find a way to cram > 500 people into a guild that only supports 500 people, or by filling their friends list up with people they don't know in hopes that it somehow triggers them landing in the proper channel.

The ENTIRETY of the WvW change can be implemented, without any difference at all, if servers are still selected at start up. WvW just won't use those servers anymore. That's it. That's the only change necessary.

For whatever reason all this clinging to a server identity when I NEVER hear anything about particular traits that make up a servers people reminds me of Space Balls..

Dark Helmet: I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

Lone Star: So what does that make us?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

> @"OneYenShort.3189" said:

> For whatever reason all this clinging to a server identity when I NEVER hear anything about particular traits that make up a servers people reminds me of Space Balls..

>

> Dark Helmet: I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

> Lone Star: So what does that make us?

> Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

Tarnished Coast is considered one of the most helpful and friendly servers there is. Even today, TC players get together to do things like recruit more players for the TC WvW. There was a 40+ Dolyak march around Lions Arch just last week for the goal of raising WvW awareness for TC players.

It is also the unofficial RP server.

I’m sorry you’ve never heard about the different ways servers are identified, but now you at least know Tarnished Coast’s!

How does one know, other than (virtually) physically being in WvW, what server/World any other players are from. As far as I can tell, they aren't identified in Map/Say/Any chat, nor do their Character Names indicate any server/World, nor any other identifiers. Does someone broadcast in a particular map, and anyone from the same server/World replies, and joins a squad or something? Or is it only organized outside the game?

Umm, isnt the alliance system perfect for the RP players then?

You meet RP players/guilds in PvE or new alliance server and invite them to your RP guild and you will end in same WvW server?

Now RP players dont have to be jealous of people in TC and PS but rather they can bond together in PvE extending to WvW and guild chats.

No more paying 1800 gems to join RP server. Lets go, free RP for everyone.

Server communities make drastic changes every year if you haven't noticed it in last year during your RPing. New players join servers and old ones quit the game.

Now as real Roleplayer, you would take this as a chance to meet new people every 8 weeks to RP with and show them glory of RP. Surely TC players already know about it, now you can add random pugs from maguuma and BG in it.... for free.... And RP will be constantly evolving with the new people. Imagine that.

Worried about alliance imbalance huh. Strongest guilds already made their groups on servers and they wont be changing anytime soon. Its not like your maguuma players will start making alliance with BG players. There will be same amount of "fighting communities" as before so you dont need to worry about the balance.

Also, they will match the servers so that they have equal amount of commanders/players.

Me and mine really don't care what they do as long as they actually make wvw more engaging and fun. A majority of pve players (hence why pve and not pvx) groan when they have to go to wvw for gift of battle because it's so.......blah. Mega servers were a brilliant addition so maybe there's hope for wvw.

I understand that TC is the "unofficial" RP server, but.....there basically are no servers anymore. The TC people are mixed in with all the rest of us. I was on another server, and RP still happened there. TC is not the ONLY place that RP happens, and RP'ers are not ONLY there. Now we are all mixed in together. There literally are no server distinctions, in PVE. You from TC and me from Dwayna's Rest or whatever it was, are on the same map. Together. No differences when we RP, just because you started on the "unofficial RP server." HOW does this change for better WvW affect you and your RP friends now, exactly?

Do people realize that the mega server sorts you into zones by many different factors? not just by server? Your party, your guild, your friends, your language, all play a part in where they sort you. You can also use the lfg tool and invite players to your zone especially if you're having an event, much like players do for silverwastes. If you want to keep this for wvw then join alliances, it's even better now because roleplayers from every server can be linked to you and not just tarnished coast players.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/

Maybe anet should look into adding something like roleplayer tags for the player and friends list, and maybe that could help in sorting players in the megaserver system as well. Don't know why they didn't look into something like that years ago, this game is suppose to be about the "community". Oh and February is also community month apparently, maybe roleplayers could share some stories with them and get some attention, I'm sure you all would have some good stories to tell.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26414/lets-talk-about-marketing-february#latest

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-friendships/

In any case the upcoming alliance population changes are long over due and necessary changes for wvw to refresh it and keep it going. Wvw players and guilds are going to have to put in the some effort to keep their server communities together as well, not just roleplayers, if everyone really wants to keep their community together, make a little effort for it.

> @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> Considering it still affects your placement in channels on the megaserver, yea. Yea it does.

They say it affects your placement while in my experience it doesn't. I was randomly shoot around different maps even though I was not only on same server and guild but even in same parties with my friends. So I highly doubt megaserver takes anything into consideration at all. It just fills up maps at random.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Tolmos.8395" said:

> > Considering it still affects your placement in channels on the megaserver, yea. Yea it does.

>

> They say it affects your placement while in my experience it doesn't. I was randomly shoot around different maps even though I was not only on same server and guild but even in same parties with my friends. So I highly doubt megaserver takes anything into consideration at all. It just fills up maps at random.

It was stated it to be one of the factors when they talked about the launch of megaserver, but it is not the deciding factor so often you will not see a difference - too many other factors are often involved