Norn have no place in Revenant legends ?

Atamazon.7062

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> I'd love to see Eir's Stance- and with that we would be able to summon The Spirits of the Wild. That would be amazing.

While cool, I don’t think she’s been dead for long enough yet. Would be suuuuuper weird for Norns to see people channel her and stuff. Some might even take offense to it and break your skull.

It's not like everyone else is getting Legands and norns are being shafted.

So far we have a dragon, a centaur, a margonite, a human (who is a villain) and a charr. Most of them are non playable races and Kalla makes sense story wise since the first rev is a charr.

Not that I wouldn't like a norn legend, my Rev is a norn so I could go with the skald theme, but I'm not seeing any unfair weighting in how they have it,

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > I'd love to see Eir's Stance- and with that we would be able to summon The Spirits of the Wild. That would be amazing.

>

> While cool, I don’t think she’s been dead for long enough yet. Would be suuuuuper weird for Norns to see people channel her and stuff. Some might even take offense to it and break your skull.

As proven in Daybreak, legends don't have to be dead to be invoked. Because you're not invoking spirits. You're invoking *legends*. Literally the legend itself.

That said, I doubt Eir will ever be a legend stance because spoiler reasons. Imagine someone invoking Eir around newbies and spoiling that experience. It'd be like having a Forgal legend.

I could, however, see Snaff as an asura legend (as well as Vekk, Gadd, Oola, Blimm, and Zinn). Though they all pale in comparison to the best asura there could ever be: [Mintoc!](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Councilor_Mintoc) Booweeooop. But among norn, Aesgir is the most likely candidate, or a brand new lore figure.

(EDIT: And now I cannot get the concept of a Legendary Golem Stance that channels the legend of [G.O.X.](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/G.O.X.) out of my head... ANET MAKE IT HAPPEN!)

We also need more villains. Core has two heroes (Ventari and Jalis) and two villains (Shiro and Mallyx). Both elite specs so far have been heroes, tipping the balance; I'm actually in favour of Svanir being the norn legend, with lots of bleed and chill, high power, and a cool corrupted bear form elite.

> @"Atamazon.7062" said:

> Im not a fan im political correctness, like fill a race and gender quota like they did with Kalla (though i have no problem with that case), but for Norn case, a race that the most obsession with "forging a legend" right now don't have a single legend in Revenant kit, among 4 core and 2 expansion legends, Norn have ... norn?! That feel ridiculous!

Norn probably have no interest in becoming Revenants. They are about forging their own legend, not borrowing from someone else's. And the only legends they truly revere they already have access to through Havrouns.

The only reason for a Norn to become a Revenant is to connect with Owl/Wolverine/Eagle/Ox. Otherwise, they just make due with the four core spirits of the wild instead of the four core Legendary Stances.

> @"Daniel Handler.4816" said:

> Norn probably have no interest in becoming Revenants. They are about forging their own legend, not borrowing from someone else's. And the only legends they truly revere they already have access to through Havrouns.

>

> The only reason for a Norn to become a Revenant is to connect with Owl/Wolverine/Eagle/Ox. Otherwise, they just make due with the four core spirits of the wild instead of the four core Legendary Stances.

The Spirits of the Wild aren't actually legends, first off. They're (seemingly divine) spiritual beings - while they undoubtably have legends tied to them, havrouns are not revenants calling upon legends, but closer to ritualists calling upon and channeling spirits.

But more importantly, "borrowing from someone else's legend" is not mutually exclusive with "forging their own legend".

Norn do not care about how a legend is made, just that it is made. Whether it is made by upfront bravery or through guile, it doesn't matter. There's a norn who wants his legend to be counting every unique snowflake in Hoelbrak. There's a norn who, before LA's destruction, wanted to build his legend by being the best dockworker that ever existed. In the blog post short story, there was a norn who was building her legend through trickery and deception, and the MC of that short story built theirs through revenge utilizing stealth and cunning.

"This norn became a grand fighter worthy to be told about in taverns because he learned how to channel the powers of ancient figures through the Mists" is not going to be a legend a norn hates being told, if they're fine with talking about "the norn who lied and cheated their way through every victory".

The Spirits have always felt Native Americanish to me. Bear, for example, is the collective spiritual “avatar” of all bears and the aspects associated with the animal such as strength and independence (to contrast Wolf which is about the strength of a pack rather than the individual).

This is of course entirely separate and unrelated to Revenant Legends.

The Norn are proud and independent, but they have no shame in cooperating when forging their legend. You do the first half of your personal story with Eir but you take the credit; I see it as no different when they are getting help by channelling spirits. Norn arguably make some of the most fitting revenants in terms of lore; no other race hops in and out of the Mists with quite the same ease and regularity as they do.

> @"Manpag.6421" said:

> no other race hops in and out of the Mists with quite the same ease and regularity as they do.

While that's technically true, insofar as no other race has even a single member who's confirmed to enter and exit the Mists freely without pre-existing portals... I still don't think four individuals across an entire culture constitutes ease or regularity. Revenants would be about as strange and novel for the norn as any other race.

I do agree with the point of the OP, though. We're told that norn culture is replete with great and epic legends, even if we never hear about more than a handful. I'd ideally like to see ANet tap into that well: a norn legend we've never even heard of before, with a larger-than-life story to go along with it. As others have already observed, norn culture feels shallow enough as it is; picking someone we've already heard of, even someone as iconic and (in-universe) widely admired as Jora, is only going to reinforce that impression, not combat it.

> @"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:

> > @"Manpag.6421" said:

> > no other race hops in and out of the Mists with quite the same ease and regularity as they do.

>

> While that's technically true, insofar as no other race has even a single member who's confirmed to enter and exit the Mists freely without pre-existing portals... I still don't think four individuals across an entire culture constitutes ease or regularity. Revenants would be about as strange and novel for the norn as any other race.

>

> I do agree with the point of the OP, though. We're told that norn culture is replete with great and epic legends, even if we never hear about more than a handful. I'd ideally like to see ANet tap into that well: a norn legend we've never even heard of before, with a larger-than-life story to go along with it. As others have already observed, norn culture feels shallow enough as it is; picking someone we've already heard of, even someone as iconic and (in-universe) widely admired as Jora, is only going to reinforce that impression, not combat it.

Is there a limit on who can be a revenant legend? The current selections left influences on the political climate. None are legends within art, science, etc.

> @"Daniel Handler.4816" said:

> > @"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:

> > > @"Manpag.6421" said:

> > > no other race hops in and out of the Mists with quite the same ease and regularity as they do.

> >

> > While that's technically true, insofar as no other race has even a single member who's confirmed to enter and exit the Mists freely without pre-existing portals... I still don't think four individuals across an entire culture constitutes ease or regularity. Revenants would be about as strange and novel for the norn as any other race.

> >

> > I do agree with the point of the OP, though. We're told that norn culture is replete with great and epic legends, even if we never hear about more than a handful. I'd ideally like to see ANet tap into that well: a norn legend we've never even heard of before, with a larger-than-life story to go along with it. As others have already observed, norn culture feels shallow enough as it is; picking someone we've already heard of, even someone as iconic and (in-universe) widely admired as Jora, is only going to reinforce that impression, not combat it.

>

> Is there a limit on who can be a revenant legend? The current selections left influences on the political climate. None are legends within art, science, etc.

I'd argue Ventari's a legend for philosophy (and that art and science can certainly impact politics), but: the only criteria we know of is that they're ["those who left an especially powerful imprint on the world of Tyria".](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-role-playing-the-revenant/)

> @"NaiveBayes.2587" said:

> ........ what does Kalla have to do with Elona, Balthazar, the Crystal Desert, Kralkatorrik or anythng in the current story? ........

It's all fire themed. All animations and art related to that legend have a lot of red and orange.

We can get Kodan legends just because ...... lots of blue and cyan in the art and animations of the legend.

• 2 weeks later...

> My bet for the next legend is Asgeir and I don't think the legend has to be **directly** related to the expansion. As you said - what does Kalla have to do with Elona, Balthazar, the Crystal Desert, Kralkatorrik or anythng in the current story? I'm sure you could think of some half-baked reason to link Asgeir to any potential expansion/plot, the same way you can with Kalla.

Its worth noting that while Kalla herself has nothing to do with Elona or the Desert, she does fit in with the themes of PoF more broadly:

Kalla's legendary status among the Charr based around rebelling against unjust authority and overthrowing tyrants, particularly false or oppressive "gods", all of which mirrors the expansion storyline of first killing Balthazar and now trying to overthrow the tyrant and god-king Joko. In so far as a Revenant channels and embodies a legend's teachings and persona rather than merely using their powers then the Renegade fits in perfectly in Path of Fire and a PC renegade is actually following in Kalla's footsteps, just like the renegade we see in the Elon Riverlands who is helping the villagers against Joko's tyrannical awakened.

Therefore to answer the OP there is no reason why Anet wouldn't add in a Norn legend provided they could find a way to make the personality/backstory of said legend fit into the themes of the next expansion, even if the expansion had little to do with Norn per se.

> @"NickT.4896" said:

> > @"NaiveBayes.2587" said:

> > My bet for the next legend is Asgeir and I don't think the legend has to be **directly** related to the expansion. As you said - what does Kalla have to do with Elona, Balthazar, the Crystal Desert, Kralkatorrik or anythng in the current story? **I'm sure you could think of some half-baked reason to link Asgeir to any potential expansion/plot, the same way you can with Kalla.**

>

> Its worth noting that while Kalla herself has nothing to do with Elona or the Desert, she does fit in with the themes of PoF more broadly:

> Kalla's legendary status among the Charr based around rebelling against unjust authority and overthrowing tyrants, particularly false or oppressive "gods", all of which mirrors the expansion storyline of first killing Balthazar and now trying to overthrow the tyrant and god-king Joko. In so far as a Revenant channels and embodies a legend's teachings and persona rather than merely using their powers then the Renegade fits in perfectly in Path of Fire and a PC renegade is actually following in Kalla's footsteps, just like the renegade we see in the Elon Riverlands who is helping the villagers against Joko's tyrannical awakened.

>

> Therefore to answer the OP there is no reason why Anet wouldn't add in a Norn legend provided they could find a way to make the personality/backstory of said legend fit into the themes of the next expansion, even if the expansion had little to do with Norn per se.

You've literally just repeated what I said in more words...

"Hey can I copy your homework" "Sure just change a few things so it's not obvious".

> > @"NickT.4896" said:

> > > @"NaiveBayes.2587" said:

> > > My bet for the next legend is Asgeir and I don't think the legend has to be **directly** related to the expansion. As you said - what does Kalla have to do with Elona, Balthazar, the Crystal Desert, Kralkatorrik or anythng in the current story? **I'm sure you could think of some half-baked reason to link Asgeir to any potential expansion/plot, the same way you can with Kalla.**

> >

> > Its worth noting that while Kalla herself has nothing to do with Elona or the Desert, she does fit in with the themes of PoF more broadly:

> > Kalla's legendary status among the Charr based around rebelling against unjust authority and overthrowing tyrants, particularly false or oppressive "gods", all of which mirrors the expansion storyline of first killing Balthazar and now trying to overthrow the tyrant and god-king Joko. In so far as a Revenant channels and embodies a legend's teachings and persona rather than merely using their powers then the Renegade fits in perfectly in Path of Fire and a PC renegade is actually following in Kalla's footsteps, just like the renegade we see in the Elon Riverlands who is helping the villagers against Joko's tyrannical awakened.

> >

> > Therefore to answer the OP there is no reason why Anet wouldn't add in a Norn legend provided they could find a way to make the personality/backstory of said legend fit into the themes of the next expansion, even if the expansion had little to do with Norn per se.

>

> You've literally just repeated what I said in more words...

> "Hey can I copy your homework" "Sure just change a few things so it's not obvious".

Eh? You seemed to imply that Kalla had nothing to do with "anything in the current story", that any link between her and PoF was "half-baked", and that based on that any future legend would be similarly unrelated to the story. I was trying to point out that actually while Kalla and the Renegade might not have a geographic connection to Elona they do have a **clear **(.i.e. not just "half-baked") connection with the wider storyline/themes of the expansion and as such one would expect that a future legend would probably be similarly as connected thematically to the storyline even if they are not geographically/racially.

Apologies if I've either misread your post or poorly explained mine.