Results of Opening 1000 Black Lion Chests

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I think about when seeing this is the RL cost. 25 keys cost 2100 gems, which cost ~$26 IRL. So for ease, we'll just call it $1/key. Which means this 'test' cost someone $1000 IRL. While opening the BL chests is fun, this seems a bit excessive. Still, I've opened a few chests during this event, and it's pretty profitable (in game) right now. I bet when he/she sold their junk stuff, they had an in-game profit of over 600 gold. And that's a conservative estimate, I think.

> @"Graymalkyn.8076" said:

> The thing I think about when seeing this is the RL cost. 25 keys cost 2100 gems, which cost ~$26 IRL. So for ease, we'll just call it $1/key. Which means this 'test' cost someone $1000 IRL. While opening the BL chests is fun, this seems a bit excessive. Still, I've opened a few chests during this event, and it's pretty profitable (in game) right now. I bet when he/she sold their junk stuff, they had an in-game profit of over 600 gold. And that's a conservative estimate, I think.

The guy could have traded gold for gems and bought keys. It would have cost him more than 22k gold, but there are people who have that kind of ingame wealth. Other players bought these gems at some point, but it was not necessarily one person who spent 1000 USD/€.

On the account-bound drops: He bought 1000 keys, but got 1051 lucky envelopes, wich means that he got an additional 51 keys during opening. Now, you only get keys through duplicates of account-bound drops (2 each) or via the golden keys (3 at a time). Since the number is uneven, he probably got 3 golden keys, meaning 48 keys came from 24 duplicates. That would result in a total of 26 account-bound drops from 1k chests and give it a 2.6% chance for both combined.

And to all people complaining about the droprates: It doesnt matter how high Anet would do them, it would never be worth it. If they gave perma contracts a 10% chance, they would drop to a few gold in the TP and nobody would care about them anymore. Just look at the dyes. They added dye-packs with a pretty high dropchance, and they were once quite valuable. But people dumped them for a few gold each on the TP and nowadays nobody care about those dyepack-drops anymore. Its the players fault that those chests will never be a better option than outright gems->gold, because everyone is selling the stuff it contains too cheap, and changing the droprates wouldnt change anything about that, but rather make it worse.

I don't know if this research was extremely unfortunate or if I were extremely fortunate, because I bought only 5 keys and got the Permanent Merchant. Since I don't need it, I sold it right away...

Its the only valuable thing I have ever obtained from BLC, after 4 years buying 5 keys with every new content release. Still very lucky, I suppose.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Cobrakon.3108" said:

> > I'd be super angry If I opened 1000 chests and didn't receive a permanent contract. Wow, just wow. This is evidence that they need to increase their drop rates. I know Anet has to make money, but this almost seems abusive. I hope the game continues to succeed but not by throwing integrity under the bus.

>

> Or if you took into account how many chests are opened on a daily basis, you’d see why someone may not get it within 1000 chests.

How can we take that into account if the data is not available?

> @"Sombra.3246" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Cobrakon.3108" said:

> > > I'd be super angry If I opened 1000 chests and didn't receive a permanent contract. Wow, just wow. This is evidence that they need to increase their drop rates. I know Anet has to make money, but this almost seems abusive. I hope the game continues to succeed but not by throwing integrity under the bus.

> >

> > Or if you took into account how many chests are opened on a daily basis, you’d see why someone may not get it within 1000 chests.

>

> How can we take that into account if the data is not available?

>

You don’t need the actual data in order to take into account how many chests may get opened on a daily basis across the entire player base.

I buy keys only if I want tickets for a BL skin. Of late I've bought keys to get Dungeon tokens for crafting. These days I only use gold>gem to buy the keys. The odd thing is my experience with these loot boxes is probably the final aggravation that has me shopping a new game to play. Just read an article on loot boxes and governments starting to regulate/ban them. Sweden and Hawaii in particular. Be interesting to see where that goes.

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> On the permanent contracts, shame not one dropped, but think of all the crap you'd throw away if you had one. All them single use merchant, tp, bank, etc... ?

Those really need to be convertible in some way.

For example if someone gets the Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract as a drop or (heaven forbid) buys it off the trading post, there should be a series of toilet bowl recipes that allows one to convert consumable Merchant Expresses into consumable Personal Merchant & Bank Accesses.

I don't currently have any Permanent contracts and I've probably opened 300~400 chests over the course of my time playing this game. I am working on saving up gold for the Permanent Bank Access, currently available for the low low price of 2950 gold. Its a steal!

~ Kovu

Edit- I'm curious how many gems it would cost to convert into 2950 gold. Its probably a better deal than buying the equivalent amount of keys and _hoping_ for the drop.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Sombra.3246" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Cobrakon.3108" said:

> > > > I'd be super angry If I opened 1000 chests and didn't receive a permanent contract. Wow, just wow. This is evidence that they need to increase their drop rates. I know Anet has to make money, but this almost seems abusive. I hope the game continues to succeed but not by throwing integrity under the bus.

> > >

> > > Or if you took into account how many chests are opened on a daily basis, you’d see why someone may not get it within 1000 chests.

> >

> > How can we take that into account if the data is not available?

> >

>

> You don’t need the actual data in order to take into account how many chests may get opened on a daily basis across the entire player base.

Lmao, I bet you are a politician in real life, and often make assumptions or take conclusions without any data to back them up.

weeeell, I buy gems (for money) and buy keys. Why?

two reasons:

a) it helps anet making money. Money keeps the servers running. So good.

b) I like opening those chests. Sometimes I get something nice (like a skin, wardrobe unlock, ticket scrap). And sometimes I don't. It is like buying a lottery ticket. Sure, the odds aren't great to get really nice things, but from my POV as long as I don't get transmutation charges or miniature eggs, I won.

> @"Kovu.7560" said:

> I don't currently have any Permanent contracts and I've probably opened 300~400 chests over the course of my time playing this game. I am working on saving up gold for the Permanent Bank Access, currently available for the low low price of 2950 gold. Its a steal!

>

> ~ Kovu

>

> Edit- I'm curious how many gems it would cost to convert into 2950 gold. Its probably a better deal than buying the equivalent amount of keys and _hoping_ for the drop.

2,950 gold currently costs 10,506 gems, which is €131 or a bit more as you can't buy the exact amount of gems you need. Seems a bit steep to me. :)

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Kovu.7560" said:

> > I don't currently have any Permanent contracts and I've probably opened 300~400 chests over the course of my time playing this game. I am working on saving up gold for the Permanent Bank Access, currently available for the low low price of 2950 gold. Its a steal!

> >

> > ~ Kovu

> >

> > Edit- I'm curious how many gems it would cost to convert into 2950 gold. Its probably a better deal than buying the equivalent amount of keys and _hoping_ for the drop.

>

> 2,950 gold currently costs 10,506 gems, which is €131 or a bit more as you can't buy the exact amount of gems you need. Seems a bit steep to me. :)

Perhaps, but that's still about 1/4~1/5th the cost of opening all of the chests that the OP opened, assuming the keys were bought (which I assume the majority were). The idea of spending $200 CAD on a Permanent Bank Access (for example, I could refer to any rare, expensive BLC item) is much more reasonable than opening 1k chests in hopes of getting some neat stuff. If the odds are really less than 1 in 1000, or even 1 in 250 you might as well just convert gems to gold.

~ Kovu

edit- That said I'm going to stick to playing through the dailies/home instance/pact/trading post, farming gold the old fashioned way. I'm up to about 2,200. I enjoy this game, but something about spending $200 on a virtual item for a slight convenience would leave a real sour feeling in my gut.

> @"Sombra.3246" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Sombra.3246" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Cobrakon.3108" said:

> > > > > I'd be super angry If I opened 1000 chests and didn't receive a permanent contract. Wow, just wow. This is evidence that they need to increase their drop rates. I know Anet has to make money, but this almost seems abusive. I hope the game continues to succeed but not by throwing integrity under the bus.

> > > >

> > > > Or if you took into account how many chests are opened on a daily basis, you’d see why someone may not get it within 1000 chests.

> > >

> > > How can we take that into account if the data is not available?

> > >

> >

> > You don’t need the actual data in order to take into account how many chests may get opened on a daily basis across the entire player base.

>

> Lmao, I bet you are a politician in real life, and often make assumptions or take conclusions without any data to back them up.

You have tens of thousands of players playing the game every day. It’s not unfathomable that at least 1,000 chests are opened on a daily basis. And as an FYI, you can take account for something without actually knowing exactly what it is.

>And as an FYI, you can take account for something without actually knowing exactly what it is.

Exactly, grade school and secondary school mathematics programs will at least touch upon geometry and algebra, if not require them.

2x + 3x = 5x

You don't need to know what (x) is in order to solve problems related to it. Learning to think in basic mathematical terms is not just about doing your taxes or determining the area or perimeter of a bedroom you are remodeling. It encourages abstract thinking. I'm terrible at math, but it quickly became apparent that these skills were important in more than just calculating sums.