> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > snip

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > All your "arguments" are based on anecdotal evidence. Game is losing players - the revenue is shrinking since LW S2. Community is in decline. I'm pretty sure there are no more than 500k monthly active players in total

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And your argument is based on anecdotal evidence as well. I would love to see where Anet has stated there are no more than 500k monthly active players.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's really obvious that the population has cleared out lol, just log into the game or check your friends list or play the tp

> > > >

> > > > Of course it’s a good idea to remember that the size of the game has greatly increased since launch, so it’s hardly fair to compare vanilla gw apparent map population density to current gw. Even if they had the same number of people now as at launch the maps would look emptier now as everyone is spread out over more area.

> > >

> > > He said nothing about map density

> >

> > While he didn’t use the words map population density he did say, in various posts

>

> So maybe adress the post you are quoting. You never debunked his examples.

Maybe that’s because I wasn’t trying to debunk his examples but was giving out another point to consider. That point being that even if the population was identical at launch and now that the expansion in area would automatically cause maps to be emptier since the population is spread out thinner.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > snip

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > All your "arguments" are based on anecdotal evidence. Game is losing players - the revenue is shrinking since LW S2. Community is in decline. I'm pretty sure there are no more than 500k monthly active players in total

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And your argument is based on anecdotal evidence as well. I would love to see where Anet has stated there are no more than 500k monthly active players.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's really obvious that the population has cleared out lol, just log into the game or check your friends list or play the tp

> > > > >

> > > > > Of course it’s a good idea to remember that the size of the game has greatly increased since launch, so it’s hardly fair to compare vanilla gw apparent map population density to current gw. Even if they had the same number of people now as at launch the maps would look emptier now as everyone is spread out over more area.

> > > >

> > > > He said nothing about map density

> > >

> > > While he didn’t use the words map population density he did say, in various posts

> >

> > So maybe adress the post you are quoting. You never debunked his examples.

>

> Maybe that’s because I wasn’t trying to debunk his examples but was giving out another point to consider. That point being that even if the population was identical at launch and now that the expansion in area would automatically cause maps to be emptier since the population is spread out thinner.

>

>

It has nothing to do with what he said. I share the sentiment he talks about as people I played with do not log in anymore, my original guild is dead. People I played with left the game. You are going to say it's anecdotal evidence. I'm going to say that my personal experience is the most important thing for me because I paid for it.

People are leaving. One thing we can say is that megaservers hide it pretty well from people can't see through illusion.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > > snip

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > All your "arguments" are based on anecdotal evidence. Game is losing players - the revenue is shrinking since LW S2. Community is in decline. I'm pretty sure there are no more than 500k monthly active players in total

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > And your argument is based on anecdotal evidence as well. I would love to see where Anet has stated there are no more than 500k monthly active players.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's really obvious that the population has cleared out lol, just log into the game or check your friends list or play the tp

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Of course it’s a good idea to remember that the size of the game has greatly increased since launch, so it’s hardly fair to compare vanilla gw apparent map population density to current gw. Even if they had the same number of people now as at launch the maps would look emptier now as everyone is spread out over more area.

> > > > >

> > > > > He said nothing about map density

> > > >

> > > > While he didn’t use the words map population density he did say, in various posts

> > >

> > > So maybe adress the post you are quoting. You never debunked his examples.

> >

> > Maybe that’s because I wasn’t trying to debunk his examples but was giving out another point to consider. That point being that even if the population was identical at launch and now that the expansion in area would automatically cause maps to be emptier since the population is spread out thinner.

> >

> >

>

> It has nothing to do with what he said. I share the sentiment he talks about as people I played with do not log in anymore, my original guild is dead. People I played with left the game. You are going to say it's anecdotal evidence. I'm going to say that my personal experience is the most important thing for me because I paid for it.

>

> People are leaving. One thing we can say is that megaservers hide it pretty well from people can't see through illusion.

As to your original guild being dead I’m sorry to hear that but that’s the fate of most guilds in all MMOs, even very active and populated MMOs. Guilds are made, they flourish for a while and then they die. Friends also start, play for a while and move on. You can read any MMO forum, including active and populated games like WoW, and you’ll find threads about dying guilds and dead friend’s lists. That has nothing to do with a game dying. It has to do with normal population turnover. So one person’s anecdotal knowledge about his guild and his friends says nothing about the population of the game.

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > snip

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > All your "arguments" are based on anecdotal evidence. Game is losing players - the revenue is shrinking since LW S2. Community is in decline. I'm pretty sure there are no more than 500k monthly active players in total

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > And your argument is based on anecdotal evidence as well. I would love to see where Anet has stated there are no more than 500k monthly active players.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It's really obvious that the population has cleared out lol, just log into the game or check your friends list or play the tp

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Of course it’s a good idea to remember that the size of the game has greatly increased since launch, so it’s hardly fair to compare vanilla gw apparent map population density to current gw. Even if they had the same number of people now as at launch the maps would look emptier now as everyone is spread out over more area.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He said nothing about map density

> > > > >

> > > > > While he didn’t use the words map population density he did say, in various posts

> > > >

> > > > So maybe adress the post you are quoting. You never debunked his examples.

> > >

> > > Maybe that’s because I wasn’t trying to debunk his examples but was giving out another point to consider. That point being that even if the population was identical at launch and now that the expansion in area would automatically cause maps to be emptier since the population is spread out thinner.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It has nothing to do with what he said. I share the sentiment he talks about as people I played with do not log in anymore, my original guild is dead. People I played with left the game. You are going to say it's anecdotal evidence. I'm going to say that my personal experience is the most important thing for me because I paid for it.

> >

> > People are leaving. One thing we can say is that megaservers hide it pretty well from people can't see through illusion.

>

> As to your original guild being dead I’m sorry to hear that but that’s the fate of most guilds in all MMOs, even very active and populated MMOs. Guilds are made, they flourish for a while and then they die. Friends also start, play for a while and move on. You can read any MMO forum, including active and populated games like WoW, and you’ll find threads about dying guilds and dead friend’s lists. That has nothing to do with a game dying. It has to do with normal population turnover. So one person’s anecdotal knowledge about his guild and his friends says nothing about the population of the game.

I never said the game is dying. But the population is shrinking. It's not massive but definitely ongoing process. Evidence is consequently shrinking revenue. This is 6 year old game, it's not going to grow anymore. The only thing Anet can do is to keep existing playerbase as long as possible.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > snip

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > All your "arguments" are based on anecdotal evidence. Game is losing players - the revenue is shrinking since LW S2. Community is in decline. I'm pretty sure there are no more than 500k monthly active players in total

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > And your argument is based on anecdotal evidence as well. I would love to see where Anet has stated there are no more than 500k monthly active players.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It's really obvious that the population has cleared out lol, just log into the game or check your friends list or play the tp

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Of course it’s a good idea to remember that the size of the game has greatly increased since launch, so it’s hardly fair to compare vanilla gw apparent map population density to current gw. Even if they had the same number of people now as at launch the maps would look emptier now as everyone is spread out over more area.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He said nothing about map density

> > > > > >

> > > > > > While he didn’t use the words map population density he did say, in various posts

> > > > >

> > > > > So maybe adress the post you are quoting. You never debunked his examples.

> > > >

> > > > Maybe that’s because I wasn’t trying to debunk his examples but was giving out another point to consider. That point being that even if the population was identical at launch and now that the expansion in area would automatically cause maps to be emptier since the population is spread out thinner.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > It has nothing to do with what he said. I share the sentiment he talks about as people I played with do not log in anymore, my original guild is dead. People I played with left the game. You are going to say it's anecdotal evidence. I'm going to say that my personal experience is the most important thing for me because I paid for it.

> > >

> > > People are leaving. One thing we can say is that megaservers hide it pretty well from people can't see through illusion.

> >

> > As to your original guild being dead I’m sorry to hear that but that’s the fate of most guilds in all MMOs, even very active and populated MMOs. Guilds are made, they flourish for a while and then they die. Friends also start, play for a while and move on. You can read any MMO forum, including active and populated games like WoW, and you’ll find threads about dying guilds and dead friend’s lists. That has nothing to do with a game dying. It has to do with normal population turnover. So one person’s anecdotal knowledge about his guild and his friends says nothing about the population of the game.

>

> I never said the game is dying. But the population is shrinking. It's not massive but definitely ongoing process. Evidence is consequently shrinking revenue. This is 6 year old game, it's not going to grow anymore. The only thing Anet can do is to keep existing playerbase as long as possible.

I’m not sure why you’re arguing this point with me as I didn’t say one way or another about the population of the game. He said areas were deserted and he has seen the population drop so I gave him a thought to consider, that the increase in size of the game might have something to do with what he sees on the maps. I suspect you’ve read into my post something I never said, as you’ve certainly rushed in to debate a point I didn’t make.

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > snip

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > All your "arguments" are based on anecdotal evidence. Game is losing players - the revenue is shrinking since LW S2. Community is in decline. I'm pretty sure there are no more than 500k monthly active players in total

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > And your argument is based on anecdotal evidence as well. I would love to see where Anet has stated there are no more than 500k monthly active players.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > It's really obvious that the population has cleared out lol, just log into the game or check your friends list or play the tp

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Of course it’s a good idea to remember that the size of the game has greatly increased since launch, so it’s hardly fair to compare vanilla gw apparent map population density to current gw. Even if they had the same number of people now as at launch the maps would look emptier now as everyone is spread out over more area.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > He said nothing about map density

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > While he didn’t use the words map population density he did say, in various posts

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So maybe adress the post you are quoting. You never debunked his examples.

> > > > >

> > > > > Maybe that’s because I wasn’t trying to debunk his examples but was giving out another point to consider. That point being that even if the population was identical at launch and now that the expansion in area would automatically cause maps to be emptier since the population is spread out thinner.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > It has nothing to do with what he said. I share the sentiment he talks about as people I played with do not log in anymore, my original guild is dead. People I played with left the game. You are going to say it's anecdotal evidence. I'm going to say that my personal experience is the most important thing for me because I paid for it.

> > > >

> > > > People are leaving. One thing we can say is that megaservers hide it pretty well from people can't see through illusion.

> > >

> > > As to your original guild being dead I’m sorry to hear that but that’s the fate of most guilds in all MMOs, even very active and populated MMOs. Guilds are made, they flourish for a while and then they die. Friends also start, play for a while and move on. You can read any MMO forum, including active and populated games like WoW, and you’ll find threads about dying guilds and dead friend’s lists. That has nothing to do with a game dying. It has to do with normal population turnover. So one person’s anecdotal knowledge about his guild and his friends says nothing about the population of the game.

> >

> > I never said the game is dying. But the population is shrinking. It's not massive but definitely ongoing process. Evidence is consequently shrinking revenue. This is 6 year old game, it's not going to grow anymore. The only thing Anet can do is to keep existing playerbase as long as possible.

>

> I’m not sure why you’re arguing this point with me as I didn’t say one way or another about the population of the game. He said areas were deserted and he has seen the population drop so I gave him thought to consider, that the increase in size of the game might have something to do with what he sees on the maps. I suspect you’ve read into my post something I never said, as you’ve certainly rushed in to debate a point I didn’t make.

That's okay.

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> Currently as the game population is dying off and the veteran players are all moving to raids and fractals, the rest of the world is deserted. If you want to do a dungeon, story quests, personal story, level up, etc its either solo yolo it, or just skip past that content.... There just arent people available to join your party.

>

> Having some henchmen that you could equip and skill up like in GW1 would be awesome for newer players and older players who want to play the game, but arent interested in doing nothing but raids and the new expansion pack zones.

>

> It would also be great for squad based WvW or SPvP content.

The only thing you posted that you "skip" because you can't find players is dungeons because everything else is perfectly doable solo. I'm curious, which other content in this game would a henchman help with?

Now that's out of the way, even if there was content that a henchman (or multiple) would help a player, this isn't a static game like gw1. The AI cannot perform like a player, as was the case in gw1 where heroes could be even better than human players at certain builds, because this is an active game.

The last part about wvw and spvp I do hope it was a joke. But I remember hero battles in gw1, it didn't last very long.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Derenek.8931" said:

> > Currently as the game population is dying off and the veteran players are all moving to raids and fractals, the rest of the world is deserted. If you want to do a dungeon, story quests, personal story, level up, etc its either solo yolo it, or just skip past that content.... There just arent people available to join your party.

> >

> > Having some henchmen that you could equip and skill up like in GW1 would be awesome for newer players and older players who want to play the game, but arent interested in doing nothing but raids and the new expansion pack zones.

> >

> > It would also be great for squad based WvW or SPvP content.

>

> The only thing you posted that you "skip" because you can't find players is dungeons because everything else is perfectly doable solo. I'm curious, which other content in this game would a henchman help with?

PvP. Since there is a proven case of bot climbing to platinum, I am pretty sure many players would get better results playing with their customized heroes instead of "alive" pugs.

There are easily less people playing wvw, spvp, and pve meta events, raids and fractals.

Wvw I can tell due to density of players in zergs and enemy presence on peak times.

Spvp you can tell because the lobbys are deserted and when you que it's the same people or bots over and over.

Pve you can tell because meta events only have one map running them as opposed to 2-3 maps in the past. The zerg sizes are smaller too, usually about 3/4ths a full squad for events at peak times.

Way less people doing fractals, much harder to find groups, same with raids, they are almost impossible to find pug groups or any groups for that matter in lfg during peak times.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> I never said the game is dying. But the population is shrinking.

Of course it is. That happens to every MMO.

> The only thing Anet can do is to keep existing playerbase as long as possible.

First, they can't keep the existing playerbase. That's a fact of MMOs even you like to keep repeating.

Second, the playerbase isn't one monolithic group with near-identical behavior. Some fraction of people will play briefly, some will burn out after a while, and some will manage to stay for the long hall. It takes different things to keep short-termers versus what it takes to reduce burnout of long-termers, and something entirely different to interest those who lose interest more quickly. Similarly, different things are important to encouraging WvWers to remain versus PvE, and within PvE, there are different types of people with different interests, too.

Most importantly: adding NPCs to the player party is only strategy and a very expensive one at that. The evidence is that it accelerated turning GW1 into a single-player game, which made it less interesting for a lot of people. It requires changing the AI, adapting rewards, changing how events|instances scale, and rebalancing content to work with more NPCs.

Besides which, adding hero|hench isn't necessarily the best way to address the problem which its supporters — including you — want resolved: the claim that the game is too difficult in some way. Even if that's true (and not everyone agrees), ANet could spend less effort reducing the difficulty in many other ways: making player characters more powerful, changing the cooldown on pet-summoning consumables, tweaking health or damage from enemy foes, tweaking enemy AI (so that it's even stupider than beore)

tl;dr it's very unlikely that adding hero|hench would make the game better for the vast majority of players, and evidence that would make things worse for some (if not many). It's a solution in search of a problem, even while it's extremely attractive to some people.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > I never said the game is dying. But the population is shrinking.

> Of course it is. That happens to every MMO.

>

> > The only thing Anet can do is to keep existing playerbase as long as possible.

> First, they can't keep the existing playerbase. That's a fact of MMOs even you like to keep repeating.

>

> Second, the playerbase isn't one monolithic group with near-identical behavior. Some fraction of people will play briefly, some will burn out after a while, and some will manage to stay for the long hall. It takes different things to keep short-termers versus what it takes to reduce burnout of long-termers, and something entirely different to interest those who lose interest more quickly. Similarly, different things are important to encouraging WvWers to remain versus PvE, and within PvE, there are different types of people with different interests, too.

>

> Most importantly: adding NPCs to the player party is only strategy and a very expensive one at that. The evidence is that it accelerated turning GW1 into a single-player game, which made it less interesting for a lot of people. It requires changing the AI, adapting rewards, changing how events|instances scale, and rebalancing content to work with more NPCs.

>

> Besides which, adding hero|hench isn't necessarily the best way to address the problem which its supporters — including you — want resolved: the claim that the game is too difficult in some way. Even if that's true (and not everyone agrees), ANet could spend less effort reducing the difficulty in many other ways: making player characters more powerful, changing the cooldown on pet-summoning consumables, tweaking health or damage from enemy foes, tweaking enemy AI (so that it's even stupider than beore)

>

> tl;dr it's very unlikely that adding hero|hench would make the game better for the vast majority of players, and evidence that would make things worse for some (if not many). It's a solution in search of a problem, even while it's extremely attractive to some people.

Difficulty settings for group content allowing to scale it for single player may be a solution for instances, I agree, but I don't think it's possible for open world. I'm aware we are not yet in situation where playing group content in GW2 is impossible. But with every new expansion or LW season it's clear that we should focus on completing content and achievement around 1-2 month release window or we can have difficulties finding people to do the content. I think the hero / companion idea may be needed to reconsider in the future.

Can't say that I read everything, but many of the points and counterpoints that had measures of validity are the same as I've seen in other threads on this matter. Here are a few points that I personally believe:

1. Henchmen will not solve population or participation issues

2. Guilds and friends lists are superior to Henchmen, but there may not be anyone in those lists that wants to do what you want to do

3. Henchmen in the open world have the potential to create serious issues (lag, crowding, aggro, etc.)

4. Henchmen in instanced content have a much lower chance to cause issues - many story steps have instanced content with NPC's already

5. Henchmen could be created as basic hirelings in major cities or outside of dungeons/fractals.

6. Henchmen could be your own characters fit to a generic model but using your gear/items on that character (likely too difficult to institute a system that automates all of our individual builds).

7. Henchmen could be collected, hired once and always available, hired on a per trip basis, purchased from the gem store, be instituted through items with similar sales models if it converts one of your own characters, etc.

8. Henchmen could have limited use, geographically, in a given period of time or by content.

Personally, I'm in favour of having henchmen added. I think the easiest course of action is to have them for dungeons and T1 fractals. They would be hired from a merchant outside of dungeons or in the Mistlock Observatory. They would be hired on a per trip basis at a cost of 25-50% of the coin you would have received from the content. There would be limited use on T1 fractals per week to avoid basic T1 farming. Dungeon use could be limited as well for farming reasons.

When I think of henchmen in GW2, I think of them as enablers. They would help some players who can't get into a group for any reason to engage in content that they're interested in at that time. They would increase access to parts of the game that are generally of low interest to most. They wouldn't be able to recreate the dynamics of group play and open world play. They would be very limited in their applicability to prevent abuse/farming. I think they could be introduced with a very positive outcome.

> @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

> @"Umut.5471" said:

> Gw2 isn't a party-instanced game like Gw1 i think that's why. The whole game is designed for open-world player interactions/events unlike Gw1. And I like it this way, I was feeling too lonely in Gw1.

You mean dungeons, fractals, raids, pvp matches are all open world?

> @"Tren.5120" said:

> > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

>

> Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

I would love to see henchmen or controllable heros for GW2. At the very least we have a lot of time and energy invested into the Dragon's Watch characters so we can use them instead.

I don't agree on having them for the same reasons however. I really don't think the game is dead and I am still finding new players or returning ones all the time. However there a ton of story steps and achievements that require pinpoint precision at times. Some of them requiring certain NPCs to not die at the player or AI hands. I am looking at you PoF Keen Eye achievement.

With things as they are currently, players are at the mercy of AI programming and luck. If we have a similar system to what we had in the first game, then we can at least control some of these things a bit better and hopefully make the game better for it.

Not really interested, simply because it takes the MMO part out of the game.

But as I've said before, if they where to add something like this it would have to be:

* Limited to dungeons, story missions, possibly low level fractals only

* Work like the Henchmen of GW1 (premade builds) and not the Heroes (customizable builds) So they're equal, and ANet can set them to the difficulty/skill they want.

* Use (and upgrade) the story characters for this since they're usually with you in dungeons and stories anyways (Eir, Rytlock, Logan etc)

* Under no circumstances allow them anywhere outside of Instanced Content.

* Under no circumstances allow them anywhere near any PVP/WVW mode.

* Give them some decent AI! (edited in)

Personally I'd more more tempted to use those as enemies, so we could get some more interesting enemies to fight with better AI, I'm tired of dumb HP-sacks with basic attacks. Also would love to see enemies use player skills, so we get more clues to how to fight them by recognizing attacks, and also learning useful skills in regard to PVP while playing the game. But that was way off-topic.

Edit: Added another important point...

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> Personally, I would love to have at least one "assistant" NPC I could set up, equip, and use in instanced content. I'd even settle for this person being a "blank slate" member of Dragon's Watch, so I can make sure at least one of them is set up with my own character in mind for future stories but not in pre-existing content.

>

> **Question:** During the Living Story, there's an optional fight against a copy of yourself with a magic mirror. And in the Riverlands, there's an event that sets a doppelganger out after someone in the zone. How well do these copies use the skills the player has? Are they using them right? Poorly? Or just running a generic build that may have totally different skills/traits? This will tell us how well ANet is able to make the game run an NPC character with a player-made build.

I can't remember the one in the Living world story. But the Doppleganger in the Riverlands basically uses a generic build with skills and weapons for the PoF Elite Specs of the class the player is running. For example, i was cloned (as in the Legendary boss clone) by it the first time ever i encountered it and it was using axe and FB skills, while i was running a DH with Greatsword.

@OP No.

> @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > @"Tren.5120" said:

> > > @"ovinnik.9216" said:

> > > Why yes, introduce NPCs that could and would replace other players. It's not like this MMORPG is highly solo-oriented and asocial as it is. There are plenty of people, OP. They may have little need for or interest in talking to you, but that's contemporary PvE for you. I, for one, would rather see movement toward the opposite direction of what you propose.

> >

> > Actually, contemporary PvE in MMORPGs is group oriented, and actually being interested in talking to other people is kind of a requirement for that.

>

> You say that like automated group finders don't allow people to treat their group members like NPCs, join and leave without a word.

Nice straw man! Instead of actually addressing the issue I brought up, you're making a caricature of it and attacking that instead. That doesn't address the point that I brought up, at all. It's just a defensive, combative tactic devoid of logic and reason. If you're so anti-social that communicating with other players is a problem, MMORPGs are the wrong genre for you to be playing, in addition to any other type of game that is designed with group communication as a part of core gameplay (and this could be simple text chat - it doesn't mean being forced to voice chat with other people).

The way you treat someone does not define who or what they are. They are still players, and they still play like players regardless of whether you're nice or awful them. That never changes. They still function as what they are. Other players are still players. You aren't making any sense at all.

Game designers should be designing for what they intend, not how players like you may treat others they are grouped with via an LFG tool.

And to the last part of that statement... Congratulations... You've found that gaming communities are full of both good and bad players (I'm speaking in terms of attitude). This has been the case since 1998. It's human nature.

If they put this in the game, then they open themselves up to completely replacing other players as a core component of the gameplay. Players who feel the henchmen are too weak will ask for boosts, or for more "desirable skills" that enable them to solo even more efficiently, etc. It's a slippery slop, and it doesn't belong in an MMORPG game. If a game is decent, it will maintain a decent enough population to sustain the player base through the content, and the content should be designed with the population and demographics in mind.

If you have to put a ton of restrictions on it, then what's the point. That's just a blatant clue that it is not a good idea to have it in the first place.