Simpler Outfits

I think for this feedback to be effective, we really have to point to outfits we currently like. I still consider the pirate outfit a good stylized "casual" outfit. The chef outfit can also pass as a common laborer's clothes for the most part, even if it does sport a spatula for humans.

Though to be fair, I don't think most outfits are all that outrageous, but things that are covered in ice, crystals, daggers or fire (or other unnecessary, horribly tacked on knick-knacks) I do tend to avoid. Like the Verdant Executor outfit? I'd be all over that if my female characters didn't have to have those random branches and pedals sticking out from their back. Awakened Zealot? Nice... except for the all the stuck knives that look ridiculous. Crystal Nomad? Never going to touch.

On the note of crystals and other ridiculous decorations though, I find the Gem Aura or Crystal Savant Outfit's to have been done tastefully. They're "look at me!" details are minimalistic in presence and properly incorporated into the design, not garishly tacked on as if in a desperate attempt to sell the theme of the outfit. Subtlety is what I'm looking for here. Subtlety.

> @"Timbersword.9014" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > That's all well and good, but Anet is sure to have the figures that tell what styles of outfits sell and which ones don't. With all of the other flashiness of the game, I believe that subtly is not their aim.

>

> Numbers don't tell them the why.

No, but to financial investors, numbers are pretty much all that matters.

> @"Lordblacknail.3652" said:

> I would love to see much simpler outfits, such as Gwen's Attire. Not everybody wants to look like Elton John.

You know I used to be firmly in the "outfits bad, armor sets good" camp but after picking up a couple with Statuettes and enjoying the ease of use and style of them. I got to say I enjoy them as an option.

I agree with your feedback that a very large number of outfits are simply over the top. Being able to "turn off" particle effects would be nice, less ridiculous shoulders would also be really nice. More time and quality on the Asura versions of a few of these outfits would also be very welcome.

As an aside I find those trying to silence your feedback by "speaking for the developers" in this thread to be truly out of hand.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"GummyBearSummoner.7941" said:

> > Why more outfits? Why not actual armor?

> We already know why. They have stated that there is a TON more work involved in creating armor sets.

And that’s an ok excuse to not make them? That doesn’t justify them from not being able to provide what some of their clientele wants.

> > That's all well and good, but Anet is sure to have the figures that tell what styles of outfits sell and which ones don't. With all of the other flashiness of the game, I believe that subtly is not their aim.

>

> Numbers don't tell them the why.

Numbers do, that's what regression analysis is. You identify all confounding variables that are regressed c.f. the data you're analyzing to identify statistically significant correlations. These Correlations are then studied for causal links (if any) to finish the analysis. I have my own regression tables I made when iI conduct some econometric studies for myself.

On topic, I prefer simpler aesthetics as well. I own some gemstore armors, but I actually prefer the in game ones. This is because all of my character aesthetics (I have 18, 9 of which have two different loudouts)are all thematic. In-game armors and weapons are easier to round-out a core theme for the character's looks. The gemstore stuff just kind of stand-alone and don't thematically combine well together. I also really dislike flashiness. I prefer more grounded looks.

This is all completely subjective though. I don't think there are any objectively bad aesthetics in the game as the Arenanet art team is really good. They definitely make my own 3d models look very rough.

> @"GummyBearSummoner.7941" said:

> > > @"GummyBearSummoner.7941" said:

> > > Why more outfits? Why not actual armor?

> > We already know why. They have stated that there is a TON more work involved in creating armor sets.

>

> And that’s an ok excuse to not make them? That doesn’t justify them from not being able to provide what some of their clientele wants.

Yes. It is. With limited resources, the developers must decide what content to produce that will be accepted by the largest majority of players while still making enough of a return on that investment. They are still making armor sets; just not as often as outfits.

> @"Rogue.8235" said:

> > @"Timbersword.9014" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > That's all well and good, but Anet is sure to have the figures that tell what styles of outfits sell and which ones don't. With all of the other flashiness of the game, I believe that subtly is not their aim.

> >

> > Numbers don't tell them the why.

>

> Numbers do, that's what regression analysis is. You identify all confounding variables that are regressed c.f. the data you're analyzing to identify statistically significant correlations. These Correlations are then studied for causal links (if any) to finish the analysis. I have my own regression tables I made when iI conduct some econometric studies for myself.

Making a lot of assumptions there with regards to the numbers they get. Specifically, you're assuming there are always clear correlations.

> > @"Rogue.8235" said:

> > > @"Timbersword.9014" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > That's all well and good, but Anet is sure to have the figures that tell what styles of outfits sell and which ones don't. With all of the other flashiness of the game, I believe that subtly is not their aim.

> > >

> > > Numbers don't tell them the why.

> >

> > Numbers do, that's what regression analysis is. You identify all confounding variables that are regressed c.f. the data you're analyzing to identify statistically significant correlations. These Correlations are then studied for causal links (if any) to finish the analysis. I have my own regression tables I made when iI conduct some econometric studies for myself.

>

> Making a lot of assumptions there with regards to the numbers they get. Specifically, you're assuming there are always clear correlations.

>

>

Yes, bad data in gets bad information out, no matter what the methods. Also, not everything is correlated. Even more, not everything that is correlated is statistically significant. Even more, not everything that is correlated and statistically significant are causally linked. Also, what you point out as an assumption is what regression analysis is designed to answer.

On the numbers they get, again that goes to good data vs. bad data. This is the first thing you learn in statistics and data management. Arenanet doesn't consist of high school students working on a kitchen app. They're trained professionals with with education and experience. Assuming that they recognize what good data and bad data is, is valid. To assume they have no idea what they're doing at all isn't valid. They can gather data on the entire population given that the entire population consists of all players using the Guild Wars 2 client. We players only ever see small groups that are never representative of the entire population. Any numbers we try to come up with is bad data.

Back on topic, I, personally, would like less flashy, less particle effects, and more cohesive aesthetics. Cohesive as in thematically matches with other options we have available in game. An example for me are mount packs that are themed around pirates. No flashies, no particles, just piratey mounts for my pirate themed characters. I'm digging the privateer set (just need way more tickets).

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > The upcoming one is AMAZING because it has NO capes, cloaks, robes, trenchcoats, or buttcapes at all. I'm buying it just for that.

>

> which upcoming one?

I forget now but I think I was talking about the abyssal stalker. I got that one and really like it

> @"GummyBearSummoner.7941" said:

> Why more outfits? Why not actual armor? I’m tired of all these outfits. I would appreciate if we can have armor pieces especially since we got the new band t shirt from living story. Nothing really matches it

While it is true that I prefer armor over outfits, it's not true that nothing matches the band shirt. My tempest (norn female) is wearing it together with the houndskin shoulders and elegy leggins from Jahai Bluffs. It looks amazing!

> @"Lurana.7506" said:

> > @"GummyBearSummoner.7941" said:

> > Why more outfits? Why not actual armor? I’m tired of all these outfits. I would appreciate if we can have armor pieces especially since we got the new band t shirt from living story. Nothing really matches it

>

> While it is true that I prefer armor over outfits, it's not true that nothing matches the band shirt. My tempest (norn female) is wearing it together with the houndskin shoulders and elegy leggins from Jahai Bluffs. It looks amazing!

That may be your personal taste but that’s not my taste.

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > > The upcoming one is AMAZING because it has NO capes, cloaks, robes, trenchcoats, or buttcapes at all. I'm buying it just for that.

> >

> > which upcoming one?

>

> I forget now but I think I was talking about the abyssal stalker. I got that one and really like it

the last outfit was the eve one so i wondered.