Rustled Jimmies [Opinion-What happened??]

> @"Fireheart.6704" said:

> > @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

>

> >

> > You are right. Firemen aren't walking around with armor like that. They are still heroes though, so having our hero PC act that way still works and is justified. I'll give you another example. When I served, my battle buddies and I used to crack jokes all the time during serious situations. It helps lighten the mood and help us focus better on the task at hand without letting the stress of the situation overwhelm us.

> >

> > So our PC being a little light hearted and joking around makes total sense for the situations they are in. Being serious all the time actually makes situations worse.

>

> Don't get me wrong, I know and support what you are saying. However, there is a line between reality and virtual worlds that must be drawn, especially in MMOs. The "being serious all the time" part is the problem- it's the other way around. The characters are constantly making these attempts at humor and when they're not, it feels like some under-paid actor reading off a first draft script that just explains the various situations you are in. My problem is the focus of the dialogue is entirely this shabby friendly prodding; especially when it comes to joking with the enemy or tossing out a pun when talking to say, the God of Fire, right before you kill him.

>

> Also, when I think of my hero, I don't think of a human being in the real world. I think of a monstrous war monger that can wield the raw essence of magic and fury at my whim. Some well structured jokes that come completely unexpected and make me chuckle is ideal. Not a constant stream of blabbering and recycled liners.

>

Your vision is completely different from mine. I envision more Star Lord than some bersker who can't joke around in serious situations. You bet your buttox off I would be making puns and joking if I was going against the God of Fire. Going in all serious like kills the mood because you and the enemy know it's already seriousness enough. There is no need to say things to show it's serious when it clearly is, so joking around during those times is a good thing.

You and I just have totally different visions of how a hero should act in stories, and your general view also goes against how A-net view the PC which I doubt they will change.

> @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

>

> Your vision is completely different from mine. I envision more Star Lord than some bersker who can't joke around in serious situations. You bet your buttox off I would be making puns and joking if I was going against the God of Fire. Going in all serious like kills the mood because you and the enemy know it's already seriousness enough. There is no need to say things to show it's serious when it clearly is, so joking around during those times is a good thing.

>

> You and I just have totally different visions of how a hero should act in stories, and your general view also goes against how A-net view the PC which I doubt they will change.

Fair. It does rely on the viewpoint of the player. However I still can't shake the feeling of the 4th wall always on the brink of being felled. It's like the characters are trying to impress the audience with their witty remarks like they're auditioning for the cast of FRIENDS or something. Like I said, I love humor and a fully serious dialogue would be incredibly boring. But sometimes, it would be better to say nothing than to throw in something I've heard 50 times already; reprocessed through the editing team. If the jokes were well thought out and actually targeted the situation, I would love it. Everything I have heard recently is something that would come off a "Top 20 One-Liners" search on Google.

> @"Fireheart.6704" said:

> > @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

>

> >

> > Your vision is completely different from mine. I envision more Star Lord than some bersker who can't joke around in serious situations. You bet your buttox off I would be making puns and joking if I was going against the God of Fire. Going in all serious like kills the mood because you and the enemy know it's already seriousness enough. There is no need to say things to show it's serious when it clearly is, so joking around during those times is a good thing.

> >

> > You and I just have totally different visions of how a hero should act in stories, and your general view also goes against how A-net view the PC which I doubt they will change.

>

> Fair. It does rely on the viewpoint of the player. However I still can't shake the feeling of the 4th wall always on the brink of being felled. It's like the characters are trying to impress the audience with their witty remarks. Like I said, I love humor and a fully serious dialogue would be incredibly boring. But sometimes, it would be better to say nothing than to throw in something I've heard 50 times already; reprocessed through the editing team. If the jokes were well thought out and actually targeted the situation, I would love it. Everything I have heard recently is something that would come off a "Top 20 One-Liners" search on Google.

I can see the re-hash part bugging people, but it could be worse. /shrug I was going to add to my last one, but too slow on edit. I grew up with Spider-man and Deadpool as my heroes, so my view on how a hero should act is kind of warped those two. Those two are snide remarking/pun making heroes in all situations, so that is what I expect from heroes on how to act. Also, the fourth wall almost breaking doesn't bother me for obvious Deadpool reasons.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > Apparently you don't talk to people in the real world, because half of the human population I interact with talks in this exact same manner...I think it's to much social media interaction(not really). I'm also guessing that you missed all of the serious moments in the latest episode then, because there was quite a few, I'd be the humor to serious ratio was some where around 20/80 - 30/70, but that's just a rough guess mind you. Of course if you happen to be a Professor or work with a bunch of stuffy people in RL then you wouldn't know how people really talk unless someone told you.

> >

> > But "half of the human population" aren't doing serious things like fighting, killing and protecting people in need. I mean, I'm sure those people out there doing humanitarian work try to keep light-hearted conversation but when you've got people hurt, suffering or starving right next to you, it's a smidge disrespectful to be cracking puns or whatever.

>

> You've never been around people doing humanitarian work then? Because trust me, that's exactly what it's like. Yes it's a serious situation but it's pretty rare that people in that situation need to be told that, and it can actually make things worse. If everyone's just talking about how bad things are it's very hard to see any chance for it to get better. If you're making light of it, or talking about something totally different and keeping things positive it takes some of the pressure off, it helps people calm down and relax which can make things better.

Well that's what I'm talking about (the "making light of it" part). I didn't say the individuals had to talk about how bad things are, just talk about plans of action and describe the situation to understand the stakes.

I haven't played the current episode but I feel there is a difference with being light-hearted during an interim of various serious situations and being light-hearted in the heat of a serious moment. Some superheroes can do that tho, but that isn't this setting...at least not in my opinion.

> @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

> > @"Fireheart.6704" said:

> > > @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

> >

> > >

> > > You are right. Firemen aren't walking around with armor like that. They are still heroes though, so having our hero PC act that way still works and is justified. I'll give you another example. When I served, my battle buddies and I used to crack jokes all the time during serious situations. It helps lighten the mood and help us focus better on the task at hand without letting the stress of the situation overwhelm us.

> > >

> > > So our PC being a little light hearted and joking around makes total sense for the situations they are in. Being serious all the time actually makes situations worse.

> >

> > Don't get me wrong, I know and support what you are saying. However, there is a line between reality and virtual worlds that must be drawn, especially in MMOs. The "being serious all the time" part is the problem- it's the other way around. The characters are constantly making these attempts at humor and when they're not, it feels like some under-paid actor reading off a first draft script that just explains the various situations you are in. My problem is the focus of the dialogue is entirely this shabby friendly prodding; especially when it comes to joking with the enemy or tossing out a pun when talking to say, the God of Fire, right before you kill him.

> >

> > Also, when I think of my hero, I don't think of a human being in the real world. I think of a monstrous war monger that can wield the raw essence of magic and fury at my whim. Some well structured jokes that come completely unexpected and make me chuckle is ideal. Not a constant stream of blabbering and recycled liners.

> >

>

> Your vision is completely different from mine. I envision more Star Lord than some bersker who can't joke around in serious situations. You bet your buttox off I would be making puns and joking if I was going against the God of Fire. Going in all serious like kills the mood because you and the enemy know it's already seriousness enough. There is no need to say things to show it's serious when it clearly is, so joking around during those times is a good thing.

>

> You and I just have totally different visions of how a hero should act in stories, and your general view also goes against how A-net view the PC which I doubt they will change.

Superheroes are different, IMO.

Some heroes actually use quips and jokes as a defense to unsettle the foe or draw attention away from someone else. Or for certain characters, it is because their stories *ARE* light-hearted and jokey. But with them, you can go pick up a dark gritty comic and enjoy or a funny comic that mixes in chuckles or buy both and other things in between. That option isn't an option in GW2, tho.

I can actually see the GW2 protaganist being a Star Lord-esque character as well as your "Guardians of the Galaxy" crew but that comes with the rest of the tone of that comic book team. It's not bad, but I can see how others would prefer something different too. It's too bad players don't have much of a choice in setting a tone or choosing a certain adventure for different tones.