Legendary Armor Skins and the PvE/ sPvP&WvW split

> @"Rhiannon.1726" said:

> > @"MauChann.3081" said:

> > I think the biggest mistake here is that the legendary armor for PVE is in content that not even majority of PVE players actually plays.. Okay raids are PvE endgame.. So are making legendary weapons. Why does the road to legendary weapons and armor have to be so far apart? I have hoarded up many legendary weapons, I'm looking to make legendary armor, and find out I am essentially forced to play something I don't want to play. The biggest part of getting that legendary armor is finding a group, practise, practise, practise, be forced to play a meta build and get through the raid fine without being emotionally exhausted from it.

> > It's supposed to be an achievement, yeah I can get behind that, but is it supposed to absolutely wear you out and go play content that's mostly filled with entitlement? No.

> >

> > If there would be WvW legendary armor I would go get it in a heartbeat. Simply because I hate raids more than I hate wvw.

>

> You can already get a legendary armor in wvw and pvp and I wouldn't mind if anet adds a legendary armor during the LS (maybe for each LS chapter one part of the armor), but it shouldn't have the raid skin.

>

> If you give the raid skin to another armor, lots of people would be annoyed about it and additionally there would be lots of threads like:

> "How can I get The Ascencion in pve?", "Could you please add the wvw rank 2000 armor in pve as well?", "I request the fractal backpack for the next LS!"..

>

> > It's supposed to be an achievement, yeah I can get behind that, but is it supposed to absolutely wear you out and go play content that's mostly filled with entitlement? No.

>

> That's different for everyone. I have a lot of fun in raids with very nice people. Farming a currency for a pve legendary armor in open world would wear me out.

I believe they are talking about providing a Legendary Armor with a different skin then Envoy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally like to see WvW Legendary Armor have a unique skin (different to RAIDS Legendary Armor Skins) that incorporates WvW things/aspects like arrows (from arrow carts), or shoulders that have ballistas etc. or armor that looks like siege blueprints, that glow/pulsate similar to the Mistforged Triumphant Armor. For WvW Legendary light weight shoulders, they could have floating shield generator bubbles (which would certainly look good on elementalists in my opinion!).

Another concept could be: the body of the WvW Legendary Armor having some sort of OMEGA siege golem concept/aspect to it - so the helmet for example, looks like the head of an omega siege golem (at least the heavy version of WvW Legendary Armor?) with the glowy line that goes from the top to half way down the helmet. That would be cool.

The possibilities are endless, really.

> @"MauChann.3081" said:

> I think the biggest mistake here is that the legendary armor for PVE is in content that not even majority of PVE players actually plays.. Okay raids are PvE endgame.. So are making legendary weapons. Why does the road to legendary weapons and armor have to be so far apart? I have hoarded up many legendary weapons, I'm looking to make legendary armor, and find out I am essentially forced to play something I don't want to play. The biggest part of getting that legendary armor is finding a group, practise, practise, practise, be forced to play a meta build and get through the raid fine without being emotionally exhausted from it.

> It's supposed to be an achievement, yeah I can get behind that, but is it supposed to absolutely wear you out and go play content that's mostly filled with entitlement? No.

>

> If there would be WvW legendary armor I would go get it in a heartbeat. Simply because I hate raids more than I hate wvw.

The real problem started when Legendary armor got mixed up in the QOL rewards. If it was JUST a skin, less then half the players willing to even attempt it now would had shown the least bit of interest. Legendary armor being "just a skin" has the problems inherent with Outfits, which most people have at least some issue with on a functional level.... People wouldn't universally want it. But by being a QOL upgrade, people who have no interest in skins PLUS people who are only motivated by "tiered rewards" now have high interest in these items due to their functional superiority over the Ascended gear (despite having 6 times the cost). Its the perfect trap for the majority of the community that is already caught in the cycle of collections, as its a sink that has a much longer life span then all of the LS chapters combined. People are even willing to buy raids (at ~50g per boss), just to get access to this gear for whatever reason.

I've asked this question occasionally on my guilds, and for the most part, almost everyone reskined some or all of their Raid armor pieces because of how bad it looked. Not only is the practice pretty common, I'm positive the art team that worked on them are still pissed about how unpopular it turned out. THIS is why PvP and WvW legendary armor not having a Skin upgrade made perfect sense; because unlike the weapon skins, armor skins are a LOT harder to make a coherent set out of. And if people don't like the set as whole, then the whole project is technically a bust as people skin over it with more common (aka lesser) skins.

If you look at how these are were introduced, and how fit into the reward system, you quickly realize Weapons are a more straight forward gold sink purely for the Skins, but the Armor was intended to mimic the gear grind model of WoW raids in terms of Time/Effort spent. Thats why it was only made a part of Raids at the onset, and why it only came to WvW/PvP (much like Asc armor) after the community applied non-stop pressure, in an effort to have some parity in rewards when any functional advantage exists in the gear in question. If it was "just skins" few people would care; just like we see set after set of BL skins come out, and only a fraction of the player base cares about any particular set. But the more ubiquitous something is, the higher the odds players will be interested..... hence why gliders and mount skins sell like crazy, while outfits and weapon sets are total hit and miss.