Eater of Souls - The Departed

Orimidu.9604

> @pah.4931 said:

> > @Inazuma.2795 said:

> > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > > I am sorry but it's kitten like this that will prevent GW2 from ever being truly successful. Not only does shipping with this encounter on story-mode make Anet look incredibly bad at their jobs, but it really sours new players very quickly. There is no excuse for a solo boss fight tuned liked this (so it's almost impossible with some builds and much easier with others). And the fact that it hasn't been addressed yet makes Anet look even worse. It's like they don't want millions of people playing this game.

> > > > >

> > > > > No warning about the fight. No ability to easily change your build. And a prologue before the fight that lasts for kitten ever.

> > > > >

> > > > > Whoever was in charge of this story episode should not be in charge of anything ever again.

> > > >

> > > > The game is already successful and has been for 5 years and already have million of people playing.

> > > > The encounter is easy to anyone who's able to spam 1 and dodge.

> > > > This is for lv80, not for new players.

> > > > The boss is possible to every builds. You don't even need a build, just a weapon.

> > > > There is warning about the fight. The Judge tell you to go fight it and you are the one who engage the fight. Fighting is to be expected in a game about fighting stuff in a story against the god of war.

> > > > You can change build at anytime out of combat as soon as you have found your weapons.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You're not very bright are you? Every one of your points is just false (except _maybe_ the first one, though I REALLY doubt they have over 1 million active players -- neither of can prove it so OK).

> > >

> > > You definitely need to do more than just "spam 1 and dodge" (break bar is necessary).

> > >

> > > They give players a level 80 boost when they buy the expansion. Whether YOU think the player should play a few hundred hours before going straight to the new content is irrelevant; this expansion is WITHOUT A DOUBT designed for new players. And if they want to attract new blood, this will not do it. This is made worse by the fact that you can't play with friends in this one zone.

> > >

> > > Having more stuns and break bar abilities (without long set-up / cast time) is incredibly important. And if you have another set of armor or weapons in the bank, then OH WELL.

> > >

> > > This story instance begins with the Bal fight. So... no. You aren't warned. Obviously I didn't mean "I didn't know I'd have to fight..." But there is no warning that this type of fight that requires certain builds / weapon to do optimally. Or that the instance will last a LONG time (even if you perfect it). If you get disconnected, then have fun starting from the very beginning.

> > >

> > > GW2 is a great game, but you just cannot objectively defend this terrible design choice.

> > >

> > >

> > > p.s. I've already beaten it. I just think it's really bad game design.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > "break Bar is necessary" I'm sorry, and you're the one saying someone's not bright? Literally just walk away when his stun bar comes up and he doesn't heal, I beat it with a soldier statted engie without stunning it once.

>

> Either you're lying or I (and seemingly many others) had some serious PING issues. Because dodging did absolutely nothing to prevent the self-healing.

He's not lying. I was there when he did it.

He didn't break the bar and he used a sword and shield holosmith.

I sat back and watched as he just ran when the break bar for the lifesteal was up, he ran and IT DID NOT HEAL!

And we're from Australia, he was doing that on our usual avg of 290-300 ping, so ping isn't even a factor here.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @pah.4931 said:

> > @Inazuma.2795 said:

> > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > > > I am sorry but it's kitten like this that will prevent GW2 from ever being truly successful. Not only does shipping with this encounter on story-mode make Anet look incredibly bad at their jobs, but it really sours new players very quickly. There is no excuse for a solo boss fight tuned liked this (so it's almost impossible with some builds and much easier with others). And the fact that it hasn't been addressed yet makes Anet look even worse. It's like they don't want millions of people playing this game.

> > > > >

> > > > > No warning about the fight. No ability to easily change your build. And a prologue before the fight that lasts for kitten ever.

> > > > >

> > > > > Whoever was in charge of this story episode should not be in charge of anything ever again.

> > > >

> > > > The game is already successful and has been for 5 years and already have million of people playing.

> > > > The encounter is easy to anyone who's able to spam 1 and dodge.

> > > > This is for lv80, not for new players.

> > > > The boss is possible to every builds. You don't even need a build, just a weapon.

> > > > There is warning about the fight. The Judge tell you to go fight it and you are the one who engage the fight. Fighting is to be expected in a game about fighting stuff in a story against the god of war.

> > > > You can change build at anytime out of combat as soon as you have found your weapons.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You're not very bright are you? Every one of your points is just false (except _maybe_ the first one, though I REALLY doubt they have over 1 million active players -- neither of can prove it so OK).

> > >

> > > You definitely need to do more than just "spam 1 and dodge" (break bar is necessary).

> > >

> > > They give players a level 80 boost when they buy the expansion. Whether YOU think the player should play a few hundred hours before going straight to the new content is irrelevant; this expansion is WITHOUT A DOUBT designed for new players. And if they want to attract new blood, this will not do it. This is made worse by the fact that you can't play with friends in this one zone.

> > >

> > > Having more stuns and break bar abilities (without long set-up / cast time) is incredibly important. And if you have another set of armor or weapons in the bank, then OH WELL.

> > >

> > > This story instance begins with the Bal fight. So... no. You aren't warned. Obviously I didn't mean "I didn't know I'd have to fight..." But there is no warning that this type of fight that requires certain builds / weapon to do optimally. Or that the instance will last a LONG time (even if you perfect it). If you get disconnected, then have fun starting from the very beginning.

> > >

> > > GW2 is a great game, but you just cannot objectively defend this terrible design choice.

> > >

> > >

> > > p.s. I've already beaten it. I just think it's really bad game design.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > "break Bar is necessary" I'm sorry, and you're the one saying someone's not bright? Literally just walk away when his stun bar comes up and he doesn't heal, I beat it with a soldier statted engie without stunning it once.

>

> Either you're lying or I (and seemingly many others) had some serious PING issues. Because dodging did absolutely nothing to prevent the self-healing.

Lol I didn't dodge, I am lagging and all you have to do IS RUN, like just walk away, it's not hard. Get in there, do like, 10% of the HP's damage, run until you see the stunbar pop up, then make a B-line AWAY from the boss, Then it will heal, like it did for me, 3% or even 0% of its HP. Get a better build that lets you actually walk away around 400 away from the boss?

I had no problems with the fight, because I knew what was coming ahead of time... I trapped the thing on a corner of the cage and spammed N00b Tube AoE mortar rounds at it. I was a lot more frustrated with trying to find where in the mists I was supposed to go, and the fight with Balthazar was horrible because it was just a time sink to drain his HP. It was obvious he was going to eventually kill you, and all I was doing was blowing time and aggravation on his HP. The way to handle that fight should be to have him kill you when your HP runs out without rezzing you. If you get him down to 10%, have him do his auto-kill, but reward an achievement for doing so. This means that I'm not spending time on a fight I know is useless (but I still have to get through) unless I want the reward.

That being said, it's possible some players are having lag issues with something that requires as precise timing as the CCs do in this fight, and it's not just ping. I used to be the one to do jumping puzzle assistance for the guild, and I was never able to get through the two holiday JPs for some reason. Sometimes, I would just find myself dead at the base of the Wintersday JP for seemingly no reason, so I eventually gave up. Still trying to get some of the Wintersday achievements, I tried the Bell Choir, and I did horribly almost every time.... except one time, where I was able to hit every note, which was odd. The difference between the time I did well and the times I did horribly was the time I did well I had my second monitor disconnected. I did some testing, and having the second monitor connected, even with the game played on the main monitor, even with the second monitor off, introduced some lag, enough to throw off my reflexes in the Bell Choir. One minor hardware change completely changed my experience with the game. With the monitor disconnected, I was able to get much farther through the Wintersday JP, and the 'sudden death experiences' suddenly became much rarer.

People need to keep in mind that when timing is as critical as it is in this fight, that people with things like minor hardware differences might be having problems not because of their skill, but because for them the game is different. I want as many people to enjoy Guild Wars 2 as possible, which means understanding that not every circumstance can be controlled for.

I am worried, though, about the number of people in the thread that don't seem to realize you can change your equipped weapon on the Hero Panel. I can understand people not carrying around every weapon type for their class, although I always encourage new players to familiarize themselves with all their classes weapon, and have an idea of what to do if they need to fight ranged/melee/CC/power/condition/defensive even if they usually don't do so.

It's not a matter of the boss being hard,it only uses a few,easily dodgeable attacks.

But what was made absolutely clear to me is that depending on your build,the ability to complete this fight and the

difficulty can vary from way too easy,up to impossible.

I went in as a hybrid support Firebrand(Zeal-Honor) ,Mace/Torch-Scepter/Focus and the lowest I ever saw the boss's health drop

to was 80%,before going back to 100%.That build is a boon machine,and the boss boon stealing protection and regeneration combined

with the self heal made it impossible to kill it.

I had to disengage,lose aggro,respec to DH,and kill it with LB and traps in 2-3 mins.

Definitely a case of a inadequately tested fight,and some unfortunate choices from the devs.

You can't expect from players,especially new ones,to have to change their build in order to advance in a story instance.

> @Inazuma.2795 said:

> > @pah.4931 said:

> > > @Inazuma.2795 said:

> > > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > > > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > > > I am sorry but it's kitten like this that will prevent GW2 from ever being truly successful. Not only does shipping with this encounter on story-mode make Anet look incredibly bad at their jobs, but it really sours new players very quickly. There is no excuse for a solo boss fight tuned liked this (so it's almost impossible with some builds and much easier with others). And the fact that it hasn't been addressed yet makes Anet look even worse. It's like they don't want millions of people playing this game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No warning about the fight. No ability to easily change your build. And a prologue before the fight that lasts for kitten ever.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Whoever was in charge of this story episode should not be in charge of anything ever again.

> > > > >

> > > > > The game is already successful and has been for 5 years and already have million of people playing.

> > > > > The encounter is easy to anyone who's able to spam 1 and dodge.

> > > > > This is for lv80, not for new players.

> > > > > The boss is possible to every builds. You don't even need a build, just a weapon.

> > > > > There is warning about the fight. The Judge tell you to go fight it and you are the one who engage the fight. Fighting is to be expected in a game about fighting stuff in a story against the god of war.

> > > > > You can change build at anytime out of combat as soon as you have found your weapons.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You're not very bright are you? Every one of your points is just false (except _maybe_ the first one, though I REALLY doubt they have over 1 million active players -- neither of can prove it so OK).

> > > >

> > > > You definitely need to do more than just "spam 1 and dodge" (break bar is necessary).

> > > >

> > > > They give players a level 80 boost when they buy the expansion. Whether YOU think the player should play a few hundred hours before going straight to the new content is irrelevant; this expansion is WITHOUT A DOUBT designed for new players. And if they want to attract new blood, this will not do it. This is made worse by the fact that you can't play with friends in this one zone.

> > > >

> > > > Having more stuns and break bar abilities (without long set-up / cast time) is incredibly important. And if you have another set of armor or weapons in the bank, then OH WELL.

> > > >

> > > > This story instance begins with the Bal fight. So... no. You aren't warned. Obviously I didn't mean "I didn't know I'd have to fight..." But there is no warning that this type of fight that requires certain builds / weapon to do optimally. Or that the instance will last a LONG time (even if you perfect it). If you get disconnected, then have fun starting from the very beginning.

> > > >

> > > > GW2 is a great game, but you just cannot objectively defend this terrible design choice.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > p.s. I've already beaten it. I just think it's really bad game design.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > "break Bar is necessary" I'm sorry, and you're the one saying someone's not bright? Literally just walk away when his stun bar comes up and he doesn't heal, I beat it with a soldier statted engie without stunning it once.

> >

> > Either you're lying or I (and seemingly many others) had some serious PING issues. Because dodging did absolutely nothing to prevent the self-healing.

>

> Lol I didn't dodge, I am lagging and all you have to do IS RUN, like just walk away, it's not hard. Get in there, do like, 10% of the HP's damage, run until you see the stunbar pop up, then make a B-line AWAY from the boss, Then it will heal, like it did for me, 3% or even 0% of its HP. Get a better build that lets you actually walk away around 400 away from the boss?

Well hooray for you (sincerely) . But the fact remains, MOST of those points I originally refuted were not correct. Is it POSSIBLE to beat this fight with very simple strategy? Sure (if you say so lol). But is it good game design for a story-mode encounter at the end of a very long scenario with zero checkpoints? And no way of knowing before entering 1) how long it will take and 2) what you need to succeed and 3) that friends can't help you ??? ... in a game that markets itself as a very social / casual environment is objectively a bad decision?

Nope.

I did this fight last night. After my second death I realized the break bar was short-lived and I needed some fast stun. I switched my skills before re-engaging and Mantra of Distraction/Power Lock to take him down. The moment that break-bar appeared I stunned him to keep him from regenerating... then I just kited him around using my greatsword.

My experience was similar to @"Chickenooble.5014"... I completed this last night and died a few times at the start. I was standing in the AoE life drain too often and letting the circle that denotes the ranged life drain knock me down (can't roll in time). In short, I wasn't playing very well. Once I avoided both the circles, I could double dodge away from the ranged life drain to minimize that and charge back in with my GS for kiting and damage once the AoE was out of the way. It only took a little over a minute to wrap it up at that point (playing a poor man's meta zerk DH). Overall, I could stand to make some improvements in my combat, but this fight isn't impossible once you have a strategy, whether dodging, CC or cage-ranging.

My pre-meta build was my own, healing based design. That fight would have been 10-20min of HP whittling with proper combat and infinity minutes of heal trade-offs without proper combat. The potential for severe aggravation is certainly something to note with the design of this encounter.

For the guardians saying they can't defeat him, stability, shelter, focus 5, DH f3 all completely negate his pull. Activate one and walk away and your out of his life steal attack.

He's pretty simple melee doing this and trivial with bow or scepter.

Additionally to those complaining about not being able to use the inventory, just use the hero pane to change gear and you really don't need consumables for him.

I understand people have different skill levels in this game and some classes like mesmer may struggle with phantoms, but you can't just facetank his life leech and you need to adapt instead of saying he's too hard and give up.

I eventually just sent my pet after him and stood behind the cage. My pet whooped him by itself and he never came after me.

I got fed up of it after like 7 attempts. I have the same thought with bosses that I do with men, and that is if you're going to kitten me at least take me to dinner first, and I got fed up of EoS not taking me to dinner.

EDIT: Typos.

> @pah.4931 said:

>Is it POSSIBLE to beat this fight with very simple strategy? Sure (if you say so lol).

Well, it actually is lol. I did it on my clone squirting mirage this evening and while it took a couple of regens I figured it out after a couple of minutes and proceeded to down him 100-0 without a single regen between. His attacks are _very_ predictable. Nuke him down ~15-20% hp (that's all I had time for anyway, running a 1800 toughness WvW hybrid build lol). When he does an AoE leap make sure to have 0 illusion and use that fancypants elite teleport to get away in any direction. He wont heal. When he's done with the AoE stomp thingie, repeat. I didnt use any CC whatsoever.

That said it was an incredibly long story instance that contained waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much talking.

> @Parlance.9584 said:

> Before it heals, use CC (When the bar under its health turns blue).

That isn't a satisfactory solution because not every build has CC that is viable for this encounter. The only satisfactory solution is nerfing the lifesteal which never should have been so high in the first place.

Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

I am guessing this is a situation where some players like X, and some like Y.

The players who like X are saying everything is fine because right now the particular situation is at point X. The players who like Y are saying things are not fine because the situation is at X and not Y.

Having a fight tuned the way it is would work better if the player became stronger after the fight. But nothing actually changes. Your character is exactly the same as before. That is also the problem with this story segment. The idea they were going for was forced mid story loss so that you gain new power and grow so that you can come back and beat the big baddie with your new power. But you don't actually gain power. So the whole thing just feels like a chain of deus ex machinas. You lose because you are forced to lose via cutscene incompetence deus ex machina and then you win against the big bad via deus ex machina. The writers refuse to let you win because you gained strength or were smart or clever. You don't hatch a grand plan. You lost because you had no plan and you had no plan because you weren't allowed to come up with a plan.

> @Ellisande.5218 said:

> > @Parlance.9584 said:

> > Before it heals, use CC (When the bar under its health turns blue).

>

> That isn't a satisfactory solution because not every build has CC that is viable for this encounter. The only satisfactory solution is nerfing the lifesteal which never should have been so high in the first place.

>

> Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

>

> I am guessing this is a situation where some players like X, and some like Y.

>

> The players who like X are saying everything is fine because right now the particular situation is at point X. The players who like Y are saying things are not fine because the situation is at X and not Y.

This is so wrong in so many ways. GW2 makes it super easy to change skills. All you need to do is change 1 utility skill to a CC and the fight becomes trivial. If you don't want to adapt your skillbar to a specific encounter that uses a core mechanic of the game (CC) and then complain that the fight is too hard... well maybe this is not the game for you.

> @Crowlley.7185 said:

> For the guardians saying they can't defeat him, stability, shelter, focus 5, DH f3 all completely negate his pull. Activate one and walk away and your out of his life steal attack.

>

> He's pretty simple melee doing this and trivial with bow or scepter.

>

> Additionally to those complaining about not being able to use the inventory, just use the hero pane to change gear and you really don't need consumables for him.

>

> I understand people have different skill levels in this game and some classes like mesmer may struggle with phantoms, but you can't just facetank his life leech and you need to adapt instead of saying he's too hard and give up.

But what if your extra gear is in your bank because you never thought you'd be without your inventory and had stored your extra gear in your bank and not in your inventory for access via the Hero panel?

> @Ellisande.5218 said:

> Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

Changing build to adapt to situations have always been a fundamental mechanic of Guild Wars.

Beside, you don't even need to change your useless "build". Just dodge.

The game doesn't have to cater to your little caprices.

"But if you were to fail, the beast would consume your entirety" - The Judge

Game over """Dragon Slayer"""

> @Haishao.6851 said:

> > @Ellisande.5218 said:

>

> > Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

>

> Changing build to adapt to situations have always been a fundamental mechanic of Guild Wars.

> Beside, you don't even need to change your useless "build". Just dodge.

> The game doesn't have to cater to your little caprices.

>

>

> "But if you were to fail, the beast would consume your entirety" - The Judge

>

> Game over """Dragon Slayer"""

Yup,let's ask from new and returning players that might have used a level 80 boost to play the PoF story,to be able to

change their build and gear and adapt to a boss fight,while in a story instance,or gtfo.

Smart.

> @Aenaos.8160 said:

> > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > @Ellisande.5218 said:

> >

> > > Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

> >

> > Changing build to adapt to situations have always been a fundamental mechanic of Guild Wars.

> > Beside, you don't even need to change your useless "build". Just dodge.

> > The game doesn't have to cater to your little caprices.

> >

> >

> > "But if you were to fail, the beast would consume your entirety" - The Judge

> >

> > Game over """Dragon Slayer"""

>

> Yup,let's ask from new and returning players that might have used a level 80 boost to play the PoF story,to be able to

> change their build and gear and adapt to a boss fight,while in a story instance,or gtfo.

> Smart.

Booster says "For Advanced Players". So if someone use the booster, we can expect they are advanced players. If they're not, then too bad for them.

I also told them they don't need to change build. Just dodge.

EASY WAY TO DEFEAT THE SPIRIT MONSTER: I did it on my first try/ possible with any ranged weapon. Near the monster is a spire/spike thing coming out of the terrain. You can walk up it and the dude will follow you around and up the spike. When he gets up there jump down. Attack from below. Eventually he may go down and circle around to get you- just circle around and climb up again- attack from above- he will follow you- repeat- The height difference for some reason makes his life drain thing not work- just roll away if it starts pulling too hard. By just circling up and down the spike- it's just a matter of time. Any ranged weapon will do. Near the end he just stayed at the top and I just ranged him from below- done deal.

What is not a done deal: I'VE BEEN KICKED OUT OF THE INSTANCE 3 TIMES NOW, back to character select- my internet is fine- and had to start all over. I really don't know if I can do this a 4th time. I am so tired.

> @Aenaos.8160 said:

> > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > @Ellisande.5218 said:

> >

> > > Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

> >

> > Changing build to adapt to situations have always been a fundamental mechanic of Guild Wars.

> > Beside, you don't even need to change your useless "build". Just dodge.

> > The game doesn't have to cater to your little caprices.

> >

> >

> > "But if you were to fail, the beast would consume your entirety" - The Judge

> >

> > Game over """Dragon Slayer"""

>

> Yup,let's ask from new and returning players that might have used a level 80 boost to play the PoF story,to be able to

> change their build and gear and adapt to a boss fight,while in a story instance,or gtfo.

> Smart.

Maybe those players shouldn't be jumping straight into MAX LEVEL CONTENT!

I was just joining the game as Heart Of Thorns came out, I made sure I got to level 80 before touching Heart of Thorns because I was not experienced at the game.

Maybe people should think before using their booster and trying to jump into things they don't know without proper testing and play time.

> @Seera.5916 said:

> > @Crowlley.7185 said:

> > For the guardians saying they can't defeat him, stability, shelter, focus 5, DH f3 all completely negate his pull. Activate one and walk away and your out of his life steal attack.

> >

> > He's pretty simple melee doing this and trivial with bow or scepter.

> >

> > Additionally to those complaining about not being able to use the inventory, just use the hero pane to change gear and you really don't need consumables for him.

> >

> > I understand people have different skill levels in this game and some classes like mesmer may struggle with phantoms, but you can't just facetank his life leech and you need to adapt instead of saying he's too hard and give up.

>

> But what if your extra gear is in your bank because you never thought you'd be without your inventory and had stored your extra gear in your bank and not in your inventory for access via the Hero panel?

I can understand this and it is true that not everyone is carrying around good gear to switch at any given moment.

However, there should be no need for you to change things.

My friend who is a mostly soldier stated holosmith using sword and shield would just walk away from the boss and it wouldn't heal like at all.

No stability, no blocks, no aegis, HE WALKED AWAY.

> @JMaarse.7086 said:

> > @Ellisande.5218 said:

> > > @Parlance.9584 said:

> > > Before it heals, use CC (When the bar under its health turns blue).

> >

> > That isn't a satisfactory solution because not every build has CC that is viable for this encounter. The only satisfactory solution is nerfing the lifesteal which never should have been so high in the first place.

> >

> > Requiring players to use a specific build is antithetical in a game where players have a huge choice in their build and are encouraged to play the build that is fun for them.

> >

> > I am guessing this is a situation where some players like X, and some like Y.

> >

> > The players who like X are saying everything is fine because right now the particular situation is at point X. The players who like Y are saying things are not fine because the situation is at X and not Y.

>

> This is so wrong in so many ways. GW2 makes it super easy to change skills. All you need to do is change 1 utility skill to a CC and the fight becomes trivial. If you don't want to adapt your skillbar to a specific encounter that uses a core mechanic of the game (CC) and then complain that the fight is too hard... well maybe this is not the game for you.

This is true, there are so many hard CC's as utilities for every class and switching to them is as easy as getting out of combat.

> @Ellisande.5218 said:

> > @Parlance.9584 said:

> > Before it heals, use CC (When the bar under its health turns blue).

>

> That isn't a satisfactory solution because not every build has CC that is viable for this encounter. The only satisfactory solution is nerfing the lifesteal which never should have been so high in the first place.

>

>

> I am guessing this is a situation where some players like X, and some like Y.

>

> The players who like X are saying everything is fine because right now the particular situation is at point X. The players who like Y are saying things are not fine because the situation is at X and not Y.

>

> Having a fight tuned the way it is would work better if the player became stronger after the fight. But nothing actually changes. Your character is exactly the same as before. That is also the problem with this story segment. The idea they were going for was forced mid story loss so that you gain new power and grow so that you can come back and beat the big baddie with your new power. But you don't actually gain power. So the whole thing just feels like a chain of deus ex machinas. You lose because you are forced to lose via cutscene incompetence deus ex machina and then you win against the big bad via deus ex machina. The writers refuse to let you win because you gained strength or were smart or clever. You don't hatch a grand plan. You lost because you had no plan and you had no plan because you weren't allowed to come up with a plan.

In no way, shape or form does the story say "YOU WILL GET STRONGER TO DEFEAT THE BADDIE"

In fact, all it states is that you killing this super strong thing will bring you back to life even though you should not be able to return to your body because there was no life left in it. Killing the thing created enough magic that it caused a brief moment of instability for us to return to our body against all odds.

It never said "You are going to come back stronger than ever".

Instead, you come out of it with a plan which is always what it has been with our characters. We make plans and we save lives, we are a Commander and we are THE COMMANDER. We were not ascending or anything else, we were simply returning to life in an attempt to finish what Balthazaar started.

In fact, the only thing that changes the tide of the battle with Balthazar himself is that we gain access to Sohothin from Rytlock because he believes we are strong enough to utilize better than he could to defeat Balth considering he was the one who freed Balth in a moment of fear and weakness for the blade itself.

In the case of the fight itself, you can literally just walk away from the boss and he won't heal. My friend did it, no blocks or anything.

As for the CC, every class has a utility that provides a strong CC and changing to it is as simple as getting out of combat. This game revolves around changing your build to fit a situation, hence why we have weapon swap as a mechanic in the game.

So yes, getting a decent CC is a satisfactory solution.

> @pah.4931 said:

> > @Inazuma.2795 said:

> > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > @Inazuma.2795 said:

> > > > > > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > > > > > > @pah.4931 said:

> > > > > > > I am sorry but it's kitten like this that will prevent GW2 from ever being truly successful. Not only does shipping with this encounter on story-mode make Anet look incredibly bad at their jobs, but it really sours new players very quickly. There is no excuse for a solo boss fight tuned liked this (so it's almost impossible with some builds and much easier with others). And the fact that it hasn't been addressed yet makes Anet look even worse. It's like they don't want millions of people playing this game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No warning about the fight. No ability to easily change your build. And a prologue before the fight that lasts for kitten ever.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Whoever was in charge of this story episode should not be in charge of anything ever again.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The game is already successful and has been for 5 years and already have million of people playing.

> > > > > > The encounter is easy to anyone who's able to spam 1 and dodge.

> > > > > > This is for lv80, not for new players.

> > > > > > The boss is possible to every builds. You don't even need a build, just a weapon.

> > > > > > There is warning about the fight. The Judge tell you to go fight it and you are the one who engage the fight. Fighting is to be expected in a game about fighting stuff in a story against the god of war.

> > > > > > You can change build at anytime out of combat as soon as you have found your weapons.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > You're not very bright are you? Every one of your points is just false (except _maybe_ the first one, though I REALLY doubt they have over 1 million active players -- neither of can prove it so OK).

> > > > >

> > > > > You definitely need to do more than just "spam 1 and dodge" (break bar is necessary).

> > > > >

> > > > > They give players a level 80 boost when they buy the expansion. Whether YOU think the player should play a few hundred hours before going straight to the new content is irrelevant; this expansion is WITHOUT A DOUBT designed for new players. And if they want to attract new blood, this will not do it. This is made worse by the fact that you can't play with friends in this one zone.

> > > > >

> > > > > Having more stuns and break bar abilities (without long set-up / cast time) is incredibly important. And if you have another set of armor or weapons in the bank, then OH WELL.

> > > > >

> > > > > This story instance begins with the Bal fight. So... no. You aren't warned. Obviously I didn't mean "I didn't know I'd have to fight..." But there is no warning that this type of fight that requires certain builds / weapon to do optimally. Or that the instance will last a LONG time (even if you perfect it). If you get disconnected, then have fun starting from the very beginning.

> > > > >

> > > > > GW2 is a great game, but you just cannot objectively defend this terrible design choice.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > p.s. I've already beaten it. I just think it's really bad game design.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > "break Bar is necessary" I'm sorry, and you're the one saying someone's not bright? Literally just walk away when his stun bar comes up and he doesn't heal, I beat it with a soldier statted engie without stunning it once.

> > >

> > > Either you're lying or I (and seemingly many others) had some serious PING issues. Because dodging did absolutely nothing to prevent the self-healing.

> >

> > Lol I didn't dodge, I am lagging and all you have to do IS RUN, like just walk away, it's not hard. Get in there, do like, 10% of the HP's damage, run until you see the stunbar pop up, then make a B-line AWAY from the boss, Then it will heal, like it did for me, 3% or even 0% of its HP. Get a better build that lets you actually walk away around 400 away from the boss?

>

> Well hooray for you (sincerely) . But the fact remains, MOST of those points I originally refuted were not correct. Is it POSSIBLE to beat this fight with very simple strategy? Sure (if you say so lol). But is it good game design for a story-mode encounter at the end of a very long scenario with zero checkpoints? And no way of knowing before entering 1) how long it will take and 2) what you need to succeed and 3) that friends can't help you ??? ... in a game that markets itself as a very social / casual environment is objectively a bad decision?

>

> Nope.

1. YES IT IS POSSIBLE TO BAT WITH SIMPLE STRATEGY! How hard is it to walk away and avoid attack circles? I am sorry that a lot of people can't do that.

2. Sure, some more checkpoints could be added but the instance wasn't that long. For the most part, checkpoints would be helpful for people with an unstable connection (myself included) but I would still be fine with it as is even with an unstable connection.

3. It only takes a long time if you are dying A LOT, including to things like Balth and mobs, etc which if you are dying to those as well, then you clearly don't understand builds and need to actually work on that. What you need to succeed is a build that you can use and to know how to avoid attacks by moving away. This isn't the first instance where friends can't help you and it makes sense in a story aspect that friends cannot help. Only change I would like to see is that the Eater of Souls cannot life drain from friends in the instance because it is much harder to get away as the floaty spirit orbs, especially when you are in the middle of buffing and debuffing. In that fight, your friends are better off not using the buffing abilities they are given and that sucks, but they should not be able to fight your battle for you. Your PC died and is returning to life, your friends do not apply to that.

4. This game is still social and casual, just because people aren't good at anything but standing still and auto-attacking, that does not warrant a nerf to this boss.

I understand that people are frustrated about being unable to do it, but given how simple it is to avoid the mechanics it is clear that people just need to improve and the only real changes necessary to this boss is that it cannot drain off anything but the leader of the instance.

> @Seera.5916 said:

> But what if your extra gear is in your bank because you never thought you'd be without your inventory and had stored your extra gear in your bank and not in your inventory for access via the Hero panel?

You can always use the weapons you have equipped at the time, with melee just move out of the life leech AE as he is in the air. I actually killed him myself with GS Dh guardian so he would stay in my traps and symbols. Didn't bother with breakbar, just used shelter for the pull and walked or dodged out of the way when he used the life leech.

> @BraverXIII.4209 said:

> Just tried this. Have to go to bed. There is no way I'm ever attempting this again with that much tedious forced story. I don't subject myself to things like this - my time is valuable. Guess I'm done. GG, AN, you got my money for the xpac. Will remember this when I'm ignoring the next one.

What the?

Hey I wanna play a ROLE PLAY GAME but I don't want any dialogues, story, character build ups, plot twists or anything, I just wanna punch things. Have you ever considered playing a beat 'em up - type game? because clearly rpg's are not your thing.

As for the difficulty of the fight - I'm pretty sure I could beat the boss with a naked character with only utility and healing skills and no traits equipped. That's how hard the boss is (not very hard). And I don't consider myself to be in the top 20% of players. The fight isn't much harder then killing an ambient creature, all you have to do is understand 1 mechanic which isn't even unique to that boss and on top of that, many people have postet tipps and trick for every single class in this thread and yet people still complain instead of just trying harder (and again, it's really not that hard...) - if you don't want to "waste" your time playing a game, why do you waste your time complaining about said game?