What is season 2

Season 2 is part of the Living World story line. These are multi-episode story lines that fill the space between the primary personal story and the expansions. Seasons 1 and 2 take place between the end of the Personal Story and HoT, Season 3 takes place between HoT and PoF, and Season 4 takes place after PoF. All are aimed at Level 80 players.

For technical reasons Season 1 is gone forever, but the rest of the seasons can be replayed. If you logged in while each of the episodes of these seasons were active you will have access to them. If you did not (which would be your case), you can get access by buying the episodes through the Gem store.

I'm not sure if Season 2 is worth it, but Season 3 gives you easy access to ascended accessories with HoT stats, which may be worth it for you.

Season 2, refers to "Living World Season 2", which is the continued "story" of the game. It happens after the "Personal Story" which is the "first story" for your character. In short, you don't need to worry about it just yet, play and enjoy the game as is, and do your Personal Story first. You can decide later if you want more story (or other things related to it like AP etc).

Quick explanation on the "living Story" system. Gw2 launched with "Personal Story" as the story element (and it's decently long). But they (ANet) planned to expand on the story, by continually releasing new story content at set periods. To begin with (Season 1) they made this as "one off" stories, that happened in the world, changed maps etc. And it was pretty cool, but it meant when that part of the story was done, you couldn't go back to it.

So they changed style when they started "Season 2" of the Living Story. And it is now repeatable, and doesn't change the open world any-longer.

The order of the story is:

"Personal Story" (Core Game)

"LS Season 2" (Gem Store)

Heart of Thorns (Expansion Pack)

"LS Season 3" (Gem Store)

Path of Fire (Expansion Pack)

"LS Season 4" (Ongoing, Gem Store)

You don't need to do any of this in order, but if you care about the story you probably will want to.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> Season 2, refers to "Living World Season 2", which is the continued "story" of the game. It happens after the "Personal Story" which is the "first story" for your character. In short, you don't need to worry about it just yet, play and enjoy the game as is, and do your Personal Story first. You can decide later if you want more story (or other things related to it like AP etc).

>

> Quick explanation on the "living Story" system. Gw2 launched with "Personal Story" as the story element (and it's decently long). But they (ANet) planned to expand on the story, by continually releasing new story content at set periods. To begin with (Season 1) they made this as "one off" stories, that happened in the world, changed maps etc. And it was pretty cool, but it meant when that part of the story was done, you couldn't go back to it.

>

> So they changed style when they started "Season 2" of the Living Story. And it is now repeatable, and doesn't change the open world any-longer.

>

> The order of the story is:

> "Personal Story" (Core Game)

> "LS Season 2" (Gem Store)

> Heart of Thorns (Expansion Pack)

> "LS Season 3" (Gem Store)

> Path of Fire (Expansion Pack)

> "LS Season 4" (Ongoing, Gem Store)

>

> You don't need to do any of this in order, but if you care about the story you probably will want to.

So If I don't get it. Am I missing out on the personal story right? I could make choices and what not. What level does it start with? Right now I am level 9. There are parts of my story that won't be included. If I don't get this right? personal choices and what not? what level does it start with?

Naah, just stick to playing Personal Story first, you're not going to lose anything.

Personal Story unlocks at level 10 btw, and comes in batches every 10 levels, and you'll be level 80 by the time you finish it.

All other story content is AFTER "Personal Story", and is level 80 required. So you don't need to worry about it at all for now.

As noted above, all Living World Seasons are for L80 characters. The Core Personal Story has an ending, so to speak. It's optional if you want to continue the Guild Wars 2 Universe story with reading/watching LW Season 1, and reading/watching/playing Season 2, the Heart of Thorns story, Season 3, the Path of Fire story, Season 4. There really aren't 'choices' past the Core Personal Story.

Good luck.

> Naah, just stick to playing Personal Story first, you're not going to lose anything.

>

> Personal Story unlocks at level 10 btw, and comes in batches every 10 levels, and you'll be level 80 by the time you finish it.

>

> All other story content is AFTER "Personal Story", and is level 80 required. So you don't need to worry about it at all for now.

So I won't miss anything if I don't get this least till I get to level 80 right, and then it kicks in? Is that correct? I was seriously worried. I was going to miss good parts of the story. But its only affecting level 80 plus?

It's all level 80 after you finish the Personal Story, which you already own all of. It starts at level 10 and unlocks more every 10 levels thereafter. If you want to experience it with more continuity you can wait to do PS until you are higher level. (Side note: you get a Black Lion Key as a reward for completing the first section of PS, the level 10 part. But you can only get that once a week, resets on Mondays, so if you decide to level up another character try not to complete level 10 PS on multiple characters in the same week).

Your choices will diminish as the story level increases, though there will often be three paths available in any one section. You can experience all the options if you take enough characters through the story and make different choices each time. Once you get to Living Story, there are almost never choices, it's more the game's story that you get to directly experience than your personal one. If you do not get LS2, you can still experience it by having a friend who has it open instances for you; you won't get rewards or be able to interact with objects or control dialogue speed, but you will get to do the fights and see the story. You must own HoT to play its story, and must own the LS3 episodes to play them, as they give you access to maps you can't enter without them. Ditto on PoF and LS4, must own to enter, though at least on LS4 you now own Episode 2 and it will be waiting once you get to it. As long as you log fully into game during future episodes, you will own them for whenever you get to them, even if you do not yet own PoF.

Season 3 & 4 also add you new lvl 80 maps per episode, which you cannot enter without that episode.

I am not sure about season 2. It added 2 maps: Dry Top & Silverwastes, but they are accesible even without ownership of season 2, aren't they?

Beside the tutorial, you haven't started your personal story with lvl 9, it starts with lvl 10 ;) and continues every 10 lvl. (so with 20, 30, .... )

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> It's all level 80 after you finish the Personal Story, which you already own all of. It starts at level 10 and unlocks more every 10 levels thereafter. If you want to experience it with more continuity you can wait to do PS until you are higher level. (Side note: you get a Black Lion Key as a reward for completing the first section of PS, the level 10 part. But you can only get that once a week, resets on Mondays, so if you decide to level up another character try not to complete level 10 PS on multiple characters in the same week).

>

> Your choices will diminish as the story level increases, though there will often be three paths available in any one section. You can experience all the options if you take enough characters through the story and make different choices each time. Once you get to Living Story, there are almost never choices, it's more the game's story that you get to directly experience than your personal one. If you do not get LS2, you can still experience it by having a friend who has it open instances for you; you won't get rewards or be able to interact with objects or control dialogue speed, but you will get to do the fights and see the story. You must own HoT to play its story, and must own the LS3 episodes to play them, as they give you access to maps you can't enter without them. Ditto on PoF and LS4, must own to enter, though at least on LS4 you now own Episode 2 and it will be waiting once you get to it. As long as you log fully into game during future episodes, you will own them for whenever you get to them, even if you do not yet own PoF.

Someone mentioned that it doesn't start until level 80 but I think they may have been slightly mistaken. From the information, I am reading about it. It starts at level 10 and slowly increases. Once I do this on one. I assume my account is bonded with that story on all future ones as well? It sucks a little this isn't in free content or even guild wars 2 standard collections but I will buy it because I love a good story.

Living World Season and expansion stories are for L80 characters. The Personal Story (Core) is the only story set at level intervals. (L10 arc, L20 arc, L30 arc, etc.)

Core Personal Story is character-specific. Slightly different, depending on choice, for each character. Living World and expansion stories are sans choice, mostly (it doesn't matter which character you use, except some instances might be easier depending on Profession [for some players]).

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Living World Season and expansion stories are for L80 characters. The Personal Story (Core) is the only story set at level intervals. (L10 arc, L20 arc, L30 arc, etc.)

> Core Personal Story is character-specific. Slightly different, depending on choice, for each character. Living World and expansion stories are sans choice, mostly (it doesn't matter which character you use, except some instances might be easier depending on Profession [for some players]).

By not getting it though. I am missing out on level 10, 30, etc though right? Personal story? I worry about how big of an impact the stories are that I am missing out on.

1. Personal story level 10-80 included as part of the core game.

2. Living story season 2 level 80. Have to buy the episodes from the gem store if you weren't able to log in at the time of release, uses core zones plus dry top and silverwastes.

3. Heart of thorns story level 80, need to have the expansion.

4. Living story season 3 level 80. Have to buy the episodes from the gem store if you weren't able to log in at the time of release, includes new zones per episode. You need HoT to play this.

5. Path of Fire story level 80, need to have the expansion.

6. Living story season 4 level 80. Have to buy the episodes from the gem store if you weren't able to log in at the time of release, includes new zones per episode. You need PoF to play this.

7. I don't agree with selling living story episodes on the gem store because it feels like double dipping for money on something that is included under the expansion, late comers are getting penalized for it basically.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Story_Journal

Core gw2 personal story; level 10 - 80 free.

Season 1; starts after personal story and is just a recap movie and information and is free.

Season 2; core gw2 and starts after season 1 must buy at gemstore.

Season 3; starts after HoT expansion and Hot expansion and buy at gemstore to unlock.

Season 4; Starts after PoF expansion and PoF expansion and buy att gemstore to unlock episode 1, since you have logged in to the game during season 4 episode 2 release time you now have that part for free even though you don't own PoF.

> @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> 1. Personal story level 10-80 included as part of the core game.

> 2. Living story season 2 level 80. Have to buy the episodes from the gem store if you weren't able to log in at the time of release, uses core zones plus dry top and silverwastes.

> 3. Heart of thorns story level 80, need to have the expansion.

> 4. Living story season 3 level 80. Have to buy the episodes from the gem store if you weren't able to log in at the time of release, includes new zones per episode. You need HoT to play this.

> 5. Path of Fire story level 80, need to have the expansion.

> 6. Living story season 4 level 80. Have to buy the episodes from the gem store if you weren't able to log in at the time of release, includes new zones per episode. You need PoF to play this.

> 7. I don't agree with selling living story episodes on the gem store because it feels like double dipping for money on something that is included under the expansion, late comers are getting penalized for it basically.

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Story_Journal

Is it mostly at level 80 than? I was worried I was missing part of the story. Are you positive that it won't start until level 80? I haven't been able to look at this in detail but it talks about a story arch on level 10 to 30? what's that about and when I buy it? Will it apply to all my future alts right? Am I missing anything at all on the lower levels by not getting this?

Your personal story takes place at levels 10 - 80, in increments every 10 levels. There's another story step at level 20, then 30, then 40, all the way up to 80. That entire overarching story is called the Personal Story. **This is totally separate from Living World seasons.** And ALL of the Personal Story is included in the base game. You will not miss out on anything. Again, Living World is SEPARATE, and ONLY begins (and is only available) once you hit level 80. Do the last part of your personal story at level 80, then you are free to go on to Living World seasons so you won't miss a thing. (Since Living World Season One is permanently unavailable, however, I would recommend watching a recap of it on YouTube - but you can worry about that when you get there. Don't fret about it for now. You do not need to have played season one to access season two.)

Just keep playing the game and leveling up. Every ten levels, a new part of your personal story unlocks. It is free. You will not miss out on anything just by leveling up. You do not need to buy anything to access your personal story. **Living World stories are separate from your personal story.**

> @"Batel.9206" said:

> Your personal story takes place at levels 10 - 80, in increments every 10 levels. There's another story step at level 20, then 30, then 40, all the way up to 80. That entire overarching story is called the Personal Story. **This is totally separate from Living World seasons.** And ALL of the Personal Story is included in the base game. You will not miss out on anything. Again, Living World is SEPARATE, and ONLY begins (and is only available) once you hit level 80. Do the last part of your personal story at level 80, then you are free to go on to Living World seasons so you won't miss a thing. (Since Living World Season One is permanently unavailable, however, I would recommend watching a recap of it on YouTube - but you can worry about that when you get there. Don't fret about it for now. You do not need to have played season one to access season two.)

>

> Just keep playing the game and leveling up. Every ten levels, a new part of your personal story unlocks. It is free. You will not miss out on anything just by leveling up. You do not need to buy anything to access your personal story. **Living World stories are separate from your personal story.**

Okay good. I just paid 50 bucks for the game. I was honestly really worried. I was prepared to buy it though. I just didn't know it would be that soon. I have two level 80 tokens. Seeing how I never played the game before and I kinda wanted to see how the story would play out first. I'm waiting to use those tokens till later. For a Guardian do I use mostly a sword or a shield because in groups? Aren't they usually the tank?

Movie 1 = Personal Story.

Movie 2 = Season 2

Movie 3 = Heart of Thorns

Movie 4 = Season 3

Movie 5 = Path of Fire

Movie 6 = Season 4

Go watch the first movie. Don't start on second movie until AFTER you've seen movie 1.

They are meant to be seen in that order, there is NO REASON to watch Movie 2 before Movie 1. None!

(Just play the game, get to level 10, and you'll start the Story. Don't bother or worry about ANYTHING ELSE until you finish that story! You won't miss a single thing!)

> Movie 1 = Personal Story.

> Movie 2 = Season 2

> Movie 3 = Heart of Thorns

> Movie 4 = Season 3

> Movie 5 = Path of Fire

> Movie 6 = Season 4

>

> Go watch the first movie. Don't start on second movie until AFTER you've seen movie 1.

>

> They are meant to be seen in that order, there is NO REASON to watch Movie 2 before Movie 1. None!

>

> (Just play the game, get to level 10, and you'll start the Story. Don't bother or worry about ANYTHING ELSE until you finish that story! You won't miss a single thing!)

I have loads more content to burn through. I'm not even on Season 2 yet. Thanks for this and carefully explaining it with kindness and respect unlike some posters that lost their patience. People have understand I am brand new to everything. I am not as familiar as they are with this. I do deeply appreciate you explaining it.

> @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > Season 2, refers to "Living World Season 2", which is the continued "story" of the game. It happens after the "Personal Story" which is the "first story" for your character. In short, you don't need to worry about it just yet, play and enjoy the game as is, and do your Personal Story first. You can decide later if you want more story (or other things related to it like AP etc).

> >

> > Quick explanation on the "living Story" system. Gw2 launched with "Personal Story" as the story element (and it's decently long). But they (ANet) planned to expand on the story, by continually releasing new story content at set periods. To begin with (Season 1) they made this as "one off" stories, that happened in the world, changed maps etc. And it was pretty cool, but it meant when that part of the story was done, you couldn't go back to it.

> >

> > So they changed style when they started "Season 2" of the Living Story. And it is now repeatable, and doesn't change the open world any-longer.

> >

> > The order of the story is:

> > "Personal Story" (Core Game)

> > "LS Season 2" (Gem Store)

> > Heart of Thorns (Expansion Pack)

> > "LS Season 3" (Gem Store)

> > Path of Fire (Expansion Pack)

> > "LS Season 4" (Ongoing, Gem Store)

> >

> > You don't need to do any of this in order, but if you care about the story you probably will want to.

>

> So If I don't get it. Am I missing out on the personal story right? I could make choices and what not. What level does it start with? Right now I am level 9. There are parts of my story that won't be included. If I don't get this right? personal choices and what not? what level does it start with?

GuildWars 2's story is constantly in progress, and in-game events happen roughly in real time, so in the game's chronology you killed Zaithan roughly six years ago, and the latest episode is in the "present day".

1. When the game launched in 2012 you had the[ Personal Story](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personal_story " Personal Story"), that spans your progression from 1-80 (now it's also chopped up into chapters at every 10 levels, it used to be a continuous progression).

2. A few months after launch Arena Net started adding the Living world story chapters. Thus beginning what is now called [season 1](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_1 "Season 1").

These chapters had a kind of loose arrangement and weren't very encapsulated, being released kind of irregularly at first, then i think it was by-weekly, then monthly. After a new episode was released most things, if not everything related to the previous episode would be removed from the game (some artifacts remain, and some maps have permanent marks of the consequences of those episodes, like Kessex Hills).

This lasted until 2014, when the Living World Season 1 ended.

3. After this Arena Net reconsidered their approach to the living world, and made it episodical and repeatable. And Launched [season 2](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2 "Season 2"). Every Episode of the Season was unlocked if you logged in during it's launch period, and can still be unlocked with gems to play it. This practice carried over to the next seasons.

Also from this point, they also established how maps and chronology works with them. In season 1, maps were also working in "real time", which is why stuff popped in during an episode, and when that episode resolved it stopped spawning. After Season 2, and to allow the replaying of the story, each map is now "frozen in time" so when you go to dry top it's 2014 there, Verdant Brink is still in 2015, etc. Of course there's a few exceptions, with "current events" affecting old maps. (One example is the Bloodstone Wyvern spawning in Verdant Brink).

Season 2 Ended in Feb 2015. Just before our characters entered the Heart of Maguuma (which is HoT's Story).

4. After the end of Season 2, our story continues with the [Personal Story for Heart of Thorns](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Thorns_story "Personal Story for Heart of Thorns").

5. After the Heart of Thorns Story, the Story progresses with [Living World Season 3](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3 "Living World Season 3"). HoT forced a restructuring of the teams at Arena Net so that they could work on new expansions as they also produce quality living world content. So they now have 3 Living World teams that leapfrog to develop new episodes. New episodes are also released now every 2-3 months, and so far **always** have released a new map with each episode. You can still replay all episodes after you unlock them, and access the maps usually requires progressing the story with at least one character, after which you can purchase a teleport scroll to each map.

Season 3 ended in September 2017 (released in July), and PoF picked up the story from there with our characters going into the Crystal Desert.

6. After Season 3 we go to the Crystal Oasis in the Crystal Desert and begin [Path of Fire's Story](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Path_of_Fire_story "Path of Fire's Story").

7. After the end of PoF's Story you begin [Living World Season 4](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_4 "Living World Season 4"), which is ongoing, and if you've logged in in the last week you already unlocked at least episode 2 of Season 4.

All that said, each season (even season 1) provides insights and continuity to the story, without them the story would definitely feel a bit disjointed. But it's still a separate thing, and you won't miss too much, in terms of continuity at least. In terms of Map access and rewards that's a whole different story.

Season 2 allows access to a bunch of achievements and collections for some interesting armour and weapons, as well as Mawdrey. But that's pretty much it. It's very useful, but if you can't afford it... Well you can't afford it. Season 2 only released 2 maps (Dry Top and the Silverwastes) both of which are accessible without unlocking the episodes.

Season 3 and onward are different. Not only is map access dependant on unlocking the episodes (and owning the corresponding expansion HoT for S3, and PoF for S4), but each map usually has pretty good and unique rewards, being that LS3 maps are pretty much the go-to for easily acquiring stat-selectable (HoT stats) ascended trinkets and backs.

Season 4 is pretty much the same, with a small exception, the map for the first episode skipped the ascended trinket acquisition (which is possible in PoF Hearts) for map-wide meta events (which were lacking in PoF), there's only a second episode available yet, but that one seems to have brought back the Season 3 standard.

That's pretty much it... Until you finish your Core Personal Story (post lvl 80) and defeat your first major boss. Having or not unlocked any episode of any season won't affect you. After that, it's a matter of choice... You'll still be able to enjoy the story of each expansion (if you bought expansions) but you'll be missing out on some character development and such.

From now on, you just have to login regularly to unlock all future episodes.