What the heck is up with damage in pvp?

Styxxis.9025

I sat out a couple of seasons and placed in gold for season 10. Saw the usual scourge, firebrand, and spellbreaker comps. Then when I got back into plat, noticed it is all high burst builds, mirage, core guard, weaver and what not. It was crazy, people dropping left and right in a mere second from these quick burst combos. Fights were basically people dancing around or hiding in stealth until they were ready to land their burst, then rinse and repeat.

It's pretty entertaining, but some builds do need their damage shaved a bit.

Well if you just started you're not gonna be very good at anything really let alone staying alive. Things may seem bursty but it's only because you haven't yet learnt how to avoid damage yet. Burst combos exist for all classes and the more you play the easier it will be for you to spot the burst setup and prevent it. Dodge often but don't spam and know when to leave outnumbered fights unless you know how to stall and kite multiple players. Gw2 is not like other stand and press buttons till some1 eventually dies mmo. Gotta be active. Use walls and ledges to your advantage.

> @"Styxxis.9025" said:

> Is there any damage reduction in pvp like there is in other mmo's? Feels like everyone dies after 3 buttons and aoe's just as strong as single target.

Every class has its own form of damage reduction, and some that apply to all. Here's a few that apply to all:

* Dodge. Dodge is a must-learn for PvP, or you will die very quickly. Vigor also plays into dodge.

* Protection. Protection is a 33% damage reduction buff.

* Resistance. Resistance lets you temporarily ignore condi damage and debuffs.

* Weakness. Weakness is a debuff you apply to enemies that reduces their outgoing damage.

* Blind. Blind is a debuff applied to enemies that makes them miss their next hit.

* Interrupts/CC. Interrupts are a common way to stop an enemy from hurting you or casting their bigger hits.

* Temp invulns/blocks/evade frames. Every class has at least one or two of these. Learn what they are, and their strengths and weaknesses.

> @"Malafaia.8903" said:

> Wait until you set foot on WvW...

Meh at least he can build for toughness + vitality in WvW. Right now everyone is pretty glass in PvP, except Demolisher warrior maybe with high base HP and good toughness. Everyone else either got a little vitality or a little toughness, even supports have no toughness.

> @"Styxxis.9025" said:

> Is there any damage reduction in pvp like there is in other mmo's? Feels like everyone dies after 3 buttons and aoe's just as strong as single target.

There are ways to mitigate damage, but I know what you mean. I came to this game after 5 years of swtor. GW2 is so much more fast paced and bursty and classes are much less tanky. I played City of Heroes before that and that also felt slower.

It took a while to get used to, but once I did I had more fun. I’ve just accepted that this game is more fast paced, but it’s still possible to survive long enough to do what you need to do.

The damage is so high because they removed any tanky amulets. They did this because it was not fun to watch in their "esports" that was viewed by only 1k people each time. They then removed their esports as it had failed so utterly but never put the tanky amulets back in the game. As a result everyone just dies in a few hits unless they spam chain 1000 invulns in a row.

That is a brief history of how we got to this point. Will it ever change? No. They dont actively balance this game in a time frame which is relevant to normal people.

> @"BeepBoopBop.5403" said:

> > @"Malafaia.8903" said:

> > Wait until you set foot on WvW...

>

> Meh at least he can build for toughness + vitality in WvW. Right now everyone is pretty glass in PvP, except Demolisher warrior maybe with high base HP and good toughness. Everyone else either got a little vitality or a little toughness, even supports have no toughness.

Meh which doesnt matter since even at 2K toughness people still hit you twice as hard as someone in PvP against 0 toughness.