I'm Waiting

Luca.1249

I'm waiting for an Italian location of the game since it came out , I think it's nice for everyone to play in their own language ,

the first guild wars was in Italian so I hope the second one will be too.

Thank you ,

By a fan of the first guild wars.

Gaile Gray.6029

ArenaNet ›

December 8, 2017

People from around the world play Guild Wars 2. For most of them, the game is not presented in their native language. We localize for French, German, and Spanish because those gaming communities are large and there is a solid business reason for doing so. However, we do not have plans to localize for other languages. By the same token, we cannot accept and implement community-translated text, because verifying and implementing the input would be very time consuming and costly. (Consider that inputting text involves things beyond words -- it also can involve videos, animation, and more.)

We have received offers to do community translation for Russian, Hungarian, Czech, and several other languages. We regret that we are not able to offer Guild Wars 2 in every language, but doing so simply would not be feasible, even with the kind offers of the community.

I've talked to players from around the world, and I actually asked many of them what language they chose when playing the game. A surprising number of them, while they were native French, German, or Spanish speakers, told me they preferred to play in English. Most cited the opportunity to practice their language skills; some said they liked to play "exactly what the devs created." I hope that all players are able to choose a language that allows them to join in!

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/32921/guild-wars-2-translated-into-brazilian-portuguese/p1

> @"Luca.1249" said:

> I'm waiting for an Italian location of the game since it came out , I think it's nice for everyone to play in their own language ,

> the first guild wars was in Italian so I hope the second one will be too.

> Thank you ,

> By a fan of the first guild wars.

With all due respect, there are other alternative language communities in the same position, some I presume larger than yours (e.g. Brazilians).

ANets stance has been the same for some time now - the cost and manpower required to localize into another language is greater than they can afford to invest or currently have. In short, this is not going to be implemented.

Enjoy the game as best as you can in English/French/German.

I'm half-Portuguese and half-Irish (Porish). I'd like half the language in-game to be in Portuguese and the other half in Gaelic, please.

No, I'm not serious... I haven't spoken either of those two languages since I was a child, although I've spoken Japanese, French, and German in the interim, the joys of being a world-traveler. Sometimes I even speak English these days...

My mothertongue is Russian and I love GW2 in it's origna language. Same story for the movies. I actually dislike the translation in most cases. Phrases/slang/jokes work way better in English than in Russian for pretty much every single game I play or movie that I watch.

I don’t get this desire to have the game in your language. I’m just old enough to remember when my country, Sweden, used to dub literally everything as I was growing up and how horrible that was.

If GW2 was in Swedish I’d probably die from the cringe..!

> @"Red Haired Savage.5430" said:

> Gaile Gray.6029

> I've talked to players from around the world, and I actually asked many of them what language they chose when playing the game. A surprising number of them, while they were native French, German, or Spanish speakers, told me they preferred to play in English. Most cited the opportunity to practice their language skills; some said they liked to play "exactly what the devs created." I hope that all players are able to choose a language that allows them to join in!

>

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/32921/guild-wars-2-translated-into-brazilian-portuguese/p1

This is very true. Actually, I am from a German speaking part and most people I know play games in their native language (mostly English or Japanese w. subs). This is quite common, also many people I know watch TV shows in native language and for god sake it _is_ the language of the world. You miss out a ton if you limit yourself to such a small community.