Thank you for listening, ANet. (Re: Mount Adoption Licenses)

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Sorin Noroku.5342" said:

> >As far as “savvy consumers” you also need to understand, this is Gw2’s MAIN source of income, this is HOW the game stays afloat. If you love it, support it. If the price is too low, people would just convert gold to gems and all of that hard artistry work would be $0 income for the company. They have to set it high enough to keep their head above water.

>

> You *do* understand that this is not how gold to gems works, right? ANet does not lose money when you convert gold to gems, they MAKE money. Every gem purchased using gold only exists because some other player was willing to buy gold using gems, as in they *spent money.* Anet makes more money off of a player converting gold into 400 gems than they would off a player buying 400 gems directly, because they would make exactly the same amount *plus* the conversion tax. So they don't mind in the slightest it everyone chooses to convert gold to gems, all that would mean to them is that the exchange rate would soar and they'd make more money off it.

>

> And of course I want to support the game, but I also want to see a fair value for my purchase. $15 per skin is too pricey for most of those. $5 per skin is too pricey when I might not get what I want. They need to balance the prices so that they are fair for each skin offered.

>

> >Plus, all the people saying before that 1,200gems a skin was the price they wanted to pay, are now having their receipts read back to them when they’re complaining that 1,200gems is too high.

>

> Again, "people" say a lot of things, I certainly was not one of those "people." My stance was consistently that I thought that of the original 30 offered, only a handful might be worth 1200, another handful worth 800, most worth 400, and a few worth only 200. I believe most people saying "they should be 1200" were talking about the 2400 gem "premium" skins.

The company dont make money when YOU farm gold from an endless printing machine PvE boss .....

YOU BENEFIT when other ppl spent REAL MONEY , that allow YOU to transform YOUR gold in an other currency to buy gem items .

You collect gold + spent time ingame

They spent real money + spend time ingame

You both get effect each other . but the real money that the company needs to survive and pay the bills , comes with the ppl that spend real money ...

Or lets implant 15 dollars per months , so every1 is FORCED to pay and ends our conversation :P

Or every 8 months , 60 dolars xpacks (Devata)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Killthehealersffs.8940" said:

> The company dont make money when YOU farm gold from an endless printing machine PvE boss .....

>YOU BENEFIT when other ppl spent REAL MONEY , that allow YOU to transform YOUR gold in an other currency to buy gem items .

Personally, I've never bought nor sold gold for gems, aside from maybe a few gems here or there to balance out a much larger transaction. I have bought a reasonable amount of gems with cash, so lets' leave out the personal attacks.

The point is, their system works whether players are buying gems with cash OR with gold, they get paid either way, so it's not about ANet. All that changes is *who* is making the cash portion of the transaction, not how much is transacted.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Killthehealersffs.8940" said:

> > The company dont make money when YOU farm gold from an endless printing machine PvE boss .....

> >YOU BENEFIT when other ppl spent REAL MONEY , that allow YOU to transform YOUR gold in an other currency to buy gem items .

>

> Personally, I've never bought nor sold gold for gems, aside from maybe a few gems here or there to balance out a much larger transaction. I have bought a reasonable amount of gems with cash, so lets' leave out the personal attacks.

>

> The point is, their system works whether players are buying gems with cash OR with gold, they get paid either way, so it's not about ANet. All that changes is *who* is making the cash portion of the transaction, not how much is transacted.

>

>

I havent either spend money for gems , just buy 1 account every 2 years for the daily logins :P

They need ppl that us , that dont pay , but because we are the majority , we are the majority of the active community :P

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > @"cyndelaq.7148" said:

> > > What I don't understand about this whole thing is that Anet has a product that they know people will buy. They know people will buy it... Why not just charge a reasonable price? Or stop with the gambling bs all together and just release mount packs? Are add an in-game, "menagerie", npc that allows you to choose the mount you want then increase the price of the licenses to 800 gems? They'll make money regardless of how they do it so why not be reasonable? Because who in their right mind, that's struggling to make ends meet, is going to drop $100/$150 on this?

> > >

> >

> > They are charging a price that they deem reasonable. As do many of the consumers. I think it’s a very reasonable price. I also did not have a problem with the first set of mount licenses. Nor do I have a problem with the 2k mounts. Or the themed packs for 1.6k. There are plenty of options for people with different preferences.

> >

> > Not everyone is struggling to make ends meet. It’s unfortunate for those that are. I was there for several years. But Anet isn’t a charity and can’t price their items based on people who do not have disposable income. It’s a game and therefore not necessary for life. Add the fact that these are skins not necessary to play the game. People who do not have a lot of disposable income have to do what I did. Save up for the things I wanted that were not necessities. Sometimes it took months or even years to do so, but a lot can be learned from that experience.

>

> Nobody's asking them to be charitable. This is in their own best interests. Better to sell 10,000 skins at $5 a pop than to sell 1,000 skins at $15 a pop. I imagine at least some people will buy at least some of the skins at the current prices, but I think it's fair to assume that they could sell a lot more at a more reasonable pricepoint. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "affordability," it's about what price people believe is *fair,* and you're free to judge that for yourself, but not for others.

>

We don’t have the information to say how much would sell at any given price point. The price point that sells the highest quantity is also not necessarily the most profitable. That’s not the way it works.

The fairness of the price is subjective. Anet believes it to be fair. I believe it to be fair and so do many others who buy them. Some people do not believe it’s fair. The fact that I believe it’s fair doesn’t necessarily make it so, but just because you think it is unfair does not make it so either. The fact is that Anet has set the price at what they feel is fair and people have to deal with it. I’ve already seen loads of the new mounts so it seems many people felt it was fair enough to spend gems on it.

I’ve never seen so many complaints about costs on a game as the people in this game. It’s ironic because this is one of the cheapest games to play for what you get. If people don’t think it’s fair they don’t have to buy it.

> @"Majirah.5089" said:

> The fairness of the price is subjective. Anet believes it to be fair. I believe it to be fair and so do many others who buy them.

And all of that is fine, so long as nobody is telling the people who don't think it's fair that they should shut up.

>The fact is that Anet has set the price at what they feel is fair and people have to deal with it.

Or, make their concerns known and request a better deal.

>I’ve never seen so many complaints about costs on a game as the people in this game. It’s ironic because this is one of the cheapest games to play for what you get. If people don’t think it’s fair they don’t have to buy it.

Sure, or, again, they can ask for a better deal.

> @"Deihnyx.6318" said:

> > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> And seriously, to these people, I wonder if they have the interest of the game in mind. Cause if all they care about is want everything always cheaper, sorry to say, but we don't "need" them to finance the game.

Pretty much this.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > The fairness of the price is subjective. Anet believes it to be fair. I believe it to be fair and so do many others who buy them.

>

> And all of that is fine, so long as nobody is telling the people who don't think it's fair that they should shut up.

>

> >The fact is that Anet has set the price at what they feel is fair and people have to deal with it.

>

> Or, make their concerns known and request a better deal.

>

> >I’ve never seen so many complaints about costs on a game as the people in this game. It’s ironic because this is one of the cheapest games to play for what you get. If people don’t think it’s fair they don’t have to buy it.

>

> Sure, or, again, they can ask for a better deal.

Which is all rather pointless. Do you take a can of Coke to the cashier and say "Wow, this is too expensive, I'd buy it if it were cheaper!" as if that'll change things? If it's too expensive then it won't sell, end of story. They don't need 'feedback' for that.

I feel a lot of people in this thread already know this, so they push it further and act like Anet have betrayed the playerbase and have controversial practices etc etc etc just so their post feels justified, rather than, as above, telling the devs what they already know from the sales numbers.

> @"Zeem.2564" said:

> > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > The fairness of the price is subjective. Anet believes it to be fair. I believe it to be fair and so do many others who buy them.

> >

> > And all of that is fine, so long as nobody is telling the people who don't think it's fair that they should shut up.

> >

> > >The fact is that Anet has set the price at what they feel is fair and people have to deal with it.

> >

> > Or, make their concerns known and request a better deal.

> >

> > >I’ve never seen so many complaints about costs on a game as the people in this game. It’s ironic because this is one of the cheapest games to play for what you get. If people don’t think it’s fair they don’t have to buy it.

> >

> > Sure, or, again, they can ask for a better deal.

>

> Which is all rather pointless. Do you take a can of Coke to the cashier and say "Wow, this is too expensive, I'd buy it if it were cheaper!"

No, but you can complain to the Coke company about pricing or anything related to the product, just like people are doing here. Anet is not 3rd party cashier, Anet is directly responsible for creation, distribution and pricing of these items :)

There will always be complaints. For people who hate RNG, at least there IS a certain option. The main thing for me is that, unlike the original mount skins, I don't think there's a single one of the new skins I consider 'bad' and would be unhappy to get (except I haven't got the Griffon yet so getting one of those would necessitate some hasty playthrough...). Certainty is good, but I'm happy to gamble 400 gems on occasion because all the new skins are beautiful; adding different adoption licenses for different sets is definitely a good move.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Zeem.2564" said:

> > > @"Ohoni.6057" said:

> > > > @"Majirah.5089" said:

> > > > The fairness of the price is subjective. Anet believes it to be fair. I believe it to be fair and so do many others who buy them.

> > >

> > > And all of that is fine, so long as nobody is telling the people who don't think it's fair that they should shut up.

> > >

> > > >The fact is that Anet has set the price at what they feel is fair and people have to deal with it.

> > >

> > > Or, make their concerns known and request a better deal.

> > >

> > > >I’ve never seen so many complaints about costs on a game as the people in this game. It’s ironic because this is one of the cheapest games to play for what you get. If people don’t think it’s fair they don’t have to buy it.

> > >

> > > Sure, or, again, they can ask for a better deal.

> >

> > Which is all rather pointless. Do you take a can of Coke to the cashier and say "Wow, this is too expensive, I'd buy it if it were cheaper!"

>

> No, but you can complain to the Coke company about pricing or anything related to the product, just like people are doing here. Anet is not 3rd party cashier, Anet is directly responsible for creation, distribution and pricing of these items :)

Thanks for making my example sound even more absurd than it already was.

> @"Zeem.2564" said:

> Which is all rather pointless. Do you take a can of Coke to the cashier and say "Wow, this is too expensive, I'd buy it if it were cheaper!" as if that'll change things?

It depends entirely on how much power that cashier has to alter the price. Typically, a retail cashier has no power to alter that price, so asking would be pointless. Really, in the grand scheme of things, no one is likely to lower the price of that can of soda on any significant level. But ANet is not that cashier, they are a game company, they set their own prices, and can lower them as they see fit. They may see it in their best interests to lower it to a level where more players would purchase it, and in feeling good about their purchases, perhaps purchase other things as well, rather than getting tight with their wallet over an economy that they feel is exploiting their good will.

> If it's too expensive then it won't sell, end of story. They don't need 'feedback' for that.

That's not entirely true, sales figures alone don't tell *why* something is not selling, perhaps people wouldn't buy it at any price. Feedback provides that "why."

> @"Traveller.7496" said:

> Please add the same system with the original skin pack. There are many great skins I would buy right away, but I haven't because I'm against RNG in these kind of purchases. I want to know what I buy, and the new set is a step in the right direction.

I think it's not possible as it would cause massive refund request. I myself would want to refund most of the skins from that pack.

There's three or four of the new skins I like, and if they were cheaper -- 600 gems, say -- I'd probably have bought a couple already. They're much more appealing to me than the glider skins. But at 1200 each? Eh. Probably not gonna happen. Looked at them a couple of times yesterday, thought about it, thought about it some more, didn't bite.

See also: I still want that damned savannah monitor skin. Anet still won't sell it to me at -- any freaking price. Boo, anet. Boo.

As for the RNG, ha ha ha ha ha ha nope.

To be honest it wouldn't matter what price they put on the value of a skin, someone somewhere will be salty about it cos they want everything free or as near to it as possible.. sure there is a point at which the price is just silly season and for me 2000 gems hits that spot, but 1200 gems for a choice pick seems about right.

Would I like it cheaper .. of course, who wouldn't, but there has to be a point at which ANET have to make a profit on their time and resources without going overboard and I think this is not far off it.

I am, and always have been happy with paying 400gems in a lucky dip knowing if I didn't get what I wanted I had a better chance next time.. Then again I read the label on the tin before I opened it and knew what I was getting for the price.. a random selection.

I will bet penny to the pound a large proportion of us buy a raffle ticket or a scratch card in the hope we win the big prize.. if you loose do you then go back to the shop with your pitchfork and torches demanding to be able to buy the jackpot.. of course you don't.

Simple rule of thumb, if you don't like the game, don't play it.

Of course offering some suggestion on how to perhaps scale the pricing going forward based on the quality of the skins offered.. yeah that might be something to discuss, but then again one persons garbage is another person gold. Personally I dislike the quality of the skins offered at 2k gems, especially that ridiculous avian thing, warforged not as bad but I simply thought nah not worth it.. don't buy it - so its all subjective really.

> @"Ohoni.6057" said:> That's not entirely true, sales figures alone don't tell *why* something is not selling, perhaps people wouldn't buy it at any price. Feedback provides that "why."

Right, and if there was actually any valid controversy here then that 'why' would be worth posting.

> @"Jojo.6140" said:

> Did anyone really expect to get cheap choosable skins? The prices make sense, otherwise nobody would take the rng-method anymore.

>

> If you want one certain skin for each mount its still cheaper to buy all via rng-passes. This way, the rng-way is still a good option. Meanwhile, people who only want one or two skins can get the guaranteed ones. Its a good solution imo.

Spooky mount collection - 1600 gems for the full set.

> @"gaborkaldy.3210" said:

> I have bought 25 skins with in-game gold to get the 4-5 skin i was needed. I could have bought them with only 15 skin worth of gold if they release this sooner.

>

> Again they have kittened up those who have already bought the skins with RNG, and satisfied those who refused initially to buy loot boxes.

> Double money.

>

> Good job ANET, you tricked us again and gained profit after all. :angry:

Eh? This change didnt concern the original mount licenses.