Thief changes since last patch

thaniretouni.4762

> @"zipain.5276" said:

> If you look through the patch notes, then they clearly only wants us to play dagger/x or deadeye.... except the auto attacks, the dagger builds got no nerfs. But s/d got gutted.... s/d is only good if played in a specific way, so this makes no sense.

...gutted? Ok chill out, S/D is still very effective and fun.

> @"zipain.5276" said:

> If you look through the patch notes, then they clearly only wants us to play dagger/x or deadeye.... except the auto attacks, the dagger builds got no nerfs. But s/d got gutted.... s/d is only good if played in a specific way, so this makes no sense.

Backstab is an auto attack, dagger builds got nerfed.

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > @"zipain.5276" said:

> > If you look through the patch notes, then they clearly only wants us to play dagger/x or deadeye.... except the auto attacks, the dagger builds got no nerfs. But s/d got gutted.... s/d is only good if played in a specific way, so this makes no sense.

>

> Backstab is an auto attack, dagger builds got nerfed.

If backstab was untouched, it may be workable... But even then that one second cool down is make or break situation.

> @"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:

> > @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> > > @"zipain.5276" said:

> > > If you look through the patch notes, then they clearly only wants us to play dagger/x or deadeye.... except the auto attacks, the dagger builds got no nerfs. But s/d got gutted.... s/d is only good if played in a specific way, so this makes no sense.

> >

> > Backstab is an auto attack, dagger builds got nerfed.

>

> If backstab was untouched, it may be workable... But even then that one second cool down is make or break situation.

backstab is pretty certain untouched.

> @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > assassin signet new meme meta

>

> So how's your take on thief post patch?

good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > assassin signet new meme meta

> >

> > So how's your take on thief post patch?

>

> good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

> @"omgdracula.6345" said:

> > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > assassin signet new meme meta

> > >

> > > So how's your take on thief post patch?

> >

> > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

>

> Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

> @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > @"omgdracula.6345" said:

> > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > assassin signet new meme meta

> > > >

> > > > So how's your take on thief post patch?

> > >

> > > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> >

> > Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

>

> Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

I'm not trolling gold player, if you can't use s/d as it should be used then it's not my problem.

s/d is still strong enough to pressure fb so it can stick on teamfights much longer than dp, s/d also has a better 2v2 and 1v1 so it's basically the same with a bit less damage which is fine since everything was toned down as well.

Also s/d has a good 1v1 vs mirage even though mes is god tier, double steal is still really strong against mesmers.

I don't see any other builds arise tbh deadeye will be used a little more but that's all, with the nerf to PI the thieves that were still playing around it will switch to s/d now, and I really don't see any other build that could in theory compete vs s/d.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > @"omgdracula.6345" said:

> > > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > > assassin signet new meme meta

> > > > >

> > > > > So how's your take on thief post patch?

> > > >

> > > > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> > >

> > > Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

> >

> > Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

>

> I'm not trolling gold player, if you can't use s/d as it should be used then it's not my problem.

>

> s/d is still strong enough to pressure fb so it can stick on teamfights much longer than dp, s/d also has a better 2v2 and 1v1 so it's basically the same with a bit less damage which is fine since everything was toned down as well.

> Also s/d has a good 1v1 vs mirage even though mes is god tier, double steal is still really strong against mesmers.

>

> I don't see any other builds arise tbh deadeye will be used a little more but that's all, with the nerf to PI the thieves that were still playing around it will switch to s/d now, and I really don't see any other build that could in theory compete vs s/d.

>

So in theory Anet did the opposite of what they wanted to with thieves and left us with one build that will only be somewhat viable instead of opening up options for builds as well. Cool!

Thanks for the info!

> > > @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > > @"omgdracula.6345" said:

> > > > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > > > assassin signet new meme meta

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So how's your take on thief post patch?

> > > > >

> > > > > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> > > >

> > > > Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

> > >

> > > Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

> >

> > I'm not trolling gold player, if you can't use s/d as it should be used then it's not my problem.

> >

> > s/d is still strong enough to pressure fb so it can stick on teamfights much longer than dp, s/d also has a better 2v2 and 1v1 so it's basically the same with a bit less damage which is fine since everything was toned down as well.

> > Also s/d has a good 1v1 vs mirage even though mes is god tier, double steal is still really strong against mesmers.

> >

> > I don't see any other builds arise tbh deadeye will be used a little more but that's all, with the nerf to PI the thieves that were still playing around it will switch to s/d now, and I really don't see any other build that could in theory compete vs s/d.

> >

>

> So in theory Anet did the opposite of what they wanted to with thieves and left us with one build that will only be somewhat viable instead of opening up options for builds as well. Cool!

>

> Thanks for the info!

You mean what they've done for the past five years with D/P instead of S/D?

The only worries for S/D players are Pain Response. 15% loss in damage isn't going to break the build especially with FB's sustain nerfed lol.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> > > >

> > > > Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

> > >

> > > Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

> >

> > I'm not trolling gold player, if you can't use s/d as it should be used then it's not my problem.

> >

> > s/d is still strong enough to pressure fb so it can stick on teamfights much longer than dp, s/d also has a better 2v2 and 1v1 so it's basically the same with a bit less damage which is fine since everything was toned down as well.

> > Also s/d has a good 1v1 vs mirage even though mes is god tier, double steal is still really strong against mesmers.

> >

> > I don't see any other builds arise tbh deadeye will be used a little more but that's all, with the nerf to PI the thieves that were still playing around it will switch to s/d now, and I really don't see any other build that could in theory compete vs s/d.

> >

>

> So in theory Anet did the opposite of what they wanted to with thieves and left us with one build that will only be somewhat viable instead of opening up options for builds as well. Cool!

>

> Thanks for the info!

I need to clarify that I'm talking in the "competitive" AT/tournaments context where there has been always a solid build for thief, we had d/p for more than 2 years and now s/d is becoming the new meta that may stay for a bit more.

In ranked I can easily see more d/p builds with bound and the new assassin signet which now share the same cd as steal.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> > >

> > > Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

> >

> > Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

>

> I'm not trolling gold player, if you can't use s/d as it should be used then it's not my problem.

>

> s/d is still strong enough to pressure fb so it can stick on teamfights much longer than dp, s/d also has a better 2v2 and 1v1 so it's basically the same with a bit less damage which is fine since everything was toned down as well.

> Also s/d has a good 1v1 vs mirage even though mes is god tier, double steal is still really strong against mesmers.

>

> I don't see any other builds arise tbh deadeye will be used a little more but that's all, with the nerf to PI the thieves that were still playing around it will switch to s/d now, and I really don't see any other build that could in theory compete vs s/d.

>

Not a gold player, but obviously not as good as you, your lordship.

I don't mind the damage nerfs - like you mentioned other classes were toned down as well. What bothers me is the massive increase on Pain Response's ICD which makes damage from scourges and other condi based builds much harder to deal with when we weren't exactly "amazing" against those classes to begin with. Of course, I'm just talking about ranked solo queue here.

> @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Not a gold player, but obviously not as good as you, your lordship.

>

> I don't mind the damage nerfs - like you mentioned other classes were toned down as well. What bothers me is the massive increase on Pain Response's ICD which makes damage from scourges and other condi based builds much harder to deal with when we weren't exactly "amazing" against those classes to begin with. Of course, I'm just talking about ranked solo queue here.

I guess you're right but they wanted to nerf passives and that's what they did, what's wrong here is scourge still being broken af.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > > @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > > > @"omgdracula.6345" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > > > > > > > assassin signet new meme meta

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So how's your take on thief post patch?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > good patch, as I said before the patch s/d will remain the same with slightly less damage and d/p got nerfed harder, it could possibly be used vs certain comps or builds but I think it doesn't have enough damage so unless stealth becomes relevant again in pvp I don't see d/p as meta in pvp.

> > > > >

> > > > > Do you see any other potential builds rising? Condi S/D? Condi D/D? or are the other weapon sets to flawed at a fundamental level to do well? By that I mean how most other sets lack the synergy and movement capabilities that S/D and D/P offer.

> > > >

> > > > Pretty sure the guy is trolling lol. Don't see thieves being meta any longer, just completely outclassed by mesmer. They nerfed condi S/D too with Panic strike and Condi D/D is like P/P cheese. Only other builds I see being somewhat decent are S/D or S/P Deadeye.

> > >

> > > I'm not trolling gold player, if you can't use s/d as it should be used then it's not my problem.

> > >

> > > s/d is still strong enough to pressure fb so it can stick on teamfights much longer than dp, s/d also has a better 2v2 and 1v1 so it's basically the same with a bit less damage which is fine since everything was toned down as well.

> > > Also s/d has a good 1v1 vs mirage even though mes is god tier, double steal is still really strong against mesmers.

> > >

> > > I don't see any other builds arise tbh deadeye will be used a little more but that's all, with the nerf to PI the thieves that were still playing around it will switch to s/d now, and I really don't see any other build that could in theory compete vs s/d.

> > >

> >

> > Not a gold player, but obviously not as good as you, your lordship.

> >

> > I don't mind the damage nerfs - like you mentioned other classes were toned down as well. What bothers me is the massive increase on Pain Response's ICD which makes damage from scourges and other condi based builds much harder to deal with when we weren't exactly "amazing" against those classes to begin with. Of course, I'm just talking about ranked solo queue here.

>

> I guess you're right but they wanted to nerf passives and that's what they did, what's wrong here is scourge still being broken af.

Scourges are annoying as shit. Playing on any class.

> @"reddie.5861" said:

> > @"Atticus.7194" said:

> > > @"thaniretouni.4762" said:

> > > I simply do not comprehent why most classes got buffs and thief got mostly huge dmg nerfs. So thief is just a road runner now? No dmg, no tankiness no much aoe... At least they had discussed a heartseeker buff that could help d/d builds along with the change to CnD. Where is that Anet?

> >

> > I know it's fun to play the victim but you haven't looked at most other classes notes if you think most classes got buffs. Spellbreaker, Mes, Holo all got it bad, and almost every class got a damage nerf. You got a nerf, but so did everyone else, dunno what to tell you

>

> what nerf other classes got?

> the cooldown increase on scourge?

> all buffs guardian got?

>

> i mean quite obvious (wvw talking here) that the above 2 classes are overplayed in WvW for a reason the scourge nerf isnt a nerf they can still do same kitten no fight last long enough to use cooldowns multiple times its most of the time 1 big fight where everything is being used and then u just chase some left overs..

> so no nerf there

> and guardian got only love no?

>

> well im glad may is close :p, i love thief i never really complain but lowering thiefs dmg without giving em something to sustain in a passive is beyond me.

> i need to take it from my dmg most of the time in order to survive not from my kitten super duper hide skill or port around to reset fights.

>

> yep prolly i play thief wrong but i dont reset fights nor i hide in mid fights.

"all the buffs guard got"

did you just skim the patch notes, saw guardian "buffs", and think that's a buff?

None of the skills that got cooldown decreases are meta or even competitive.

There was no reason to take Spirit Weapons before, and still no reason to take it now.

Signet of Mercy is not used. Merciful Intervention is just straight up better.

Signet of Resolve clears 1 condition every 10 seconds. It heals better than Shelter (same cooldown of 30 seconds), but Shelter blocks so it is marginally better. SoR hasn't been used over Shelter or Litany of Wrath, and still won't be.

Same goes for Feel My Wrath. Not used in WvW or PvP.

10% damage increase on a GS trait, in a trait line that no guardians take in WvW/PvP?

The only buff I'd consider relevant is the 14% damage buff on GS3. Then again, it's a very telegraphed skill that's easy to dodge, has a higher cooldown than most other weapon movement skills, and mainly used to open/close gaps. Sword 2 is just better in most scenarios.

> @"Elxdark.9702" said:

> > @"Lotus.1682" said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

I made it pretty far with just dagger dagger and Deadeye rifle... Still climbing... But that was before the nerf to daggers autos. If you're wandering how... M7 hits, Binding Shadow to DJ immediately, infiltrators signet finish them with 5 to backstab with crit garaunteed on the 5 hit. Roll for Init and MH for when I have to worry about condition. Roll for Initiative and Withdraw for when I feel like staying on top of people after I spike them.

> @"thaniretouni.4762" said:

> I simply do not comprehent why most classes got buffs and thief got mostly huge dmg nerfs. So thief is just a road runner now? No dmg, no tankiness no much aoe... At least they had discussed a heartseeker buff that could help d/d builds along with the change to CnD. Where is that Anet?

You got this one backwards. These are the necessary buffs that will open up a lot more build variety;

- Cloak and Dagger: Reduced the initiative cost from 6 to 5 in PvP and WvW.

- Signet of Shadows: Reduced the cooldown from 30 seconds to 20 seconds in PvP and WvW.

- Assassin's Signet: Reduced the cooldown from 30 seconds to 20 seconds in PvP and WvW.

- Smoke Screen: Reduced the cooldown from 30 seconds to 25 seconds in PvP and WvW.

- Dagger Storm: Reduced the cooldown from 90 seconds to 60 seconds in PvP and WvW.

- Hide in Shadows: Increased the base healing by 15% in PvP and WvW.

- Skelk Venom: Increased the venom healing per hit by 25% in PvP and WvW.

Necessary nerfs. Auto-attacks should not be better than the skills that cost Initiatives;

- Dagger Autoattack: Reduced damage by 15% overall in PvP and WvW.

- Sword Autoattack: Reduced damage by 14% overall in PvP and WvW.

However, these ones are BS;

- Roll for Initiative: Increased the cooldown from 35 seconds to 40 seconds in PvP and WvW.

- Larcenous Strike: Reduced damage by 15% in PvP and WvW.

- Pulmonary Impact: Reduced damage by 29% in PvP and WvW.

- Upper Hand: Increased the cooldown from 3 seconds to 5 seconds in PvP and WvW.

- Panic Strike: Increased the cooldown from 20 seconds to 30 seconds in PvP and WvW. The WvW version of this trait will now use the PvP immobilize duration of 1.5 seconds.

Sword #3 has seen a lot of hate and it seems there's no intention of reducing the Initiative cost to make it proportionate to the value of the skill after the nerf.

These ones had the [smiter's Boon](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Smiter%27s_Boon_(PvP) "Smiter's Boon") treatment, meaning they don't want you picking these traits in PvP;

- Instant Reflexes: Increased the cooldown from 40 seconds to 90 seconds in PvP only.

- Pain Response: Increased the cooldown from 16 seconds to 40 seconds in PvP only.

- Hard to Catch: Increased the cooldown from 45 seconds to 90 seconds in PvP only.

> @"Turk.5460" said:

> > @"zipain.5276" said:

> > If you look through the patch notes, then they clearly only wants us to play dagger/x or deadeye.... except the auto attacks, the dagger builds got no nerfs. But s/d got gutted.... s/d is only good if played in a specific way, so this makes no sense.

>

> ...gutted? Ok chill out, S/D is still very effective and fun.

"Fun" that was a good one :D Its very much 3 FS + LS, not exactly "fun" but its okay.

Survivability got destroyed, SD only works now if you can +1 all the time. Or serverly outplay your enemy. Any other proff played by a decent player will rip you.

Thief needs a design change.

> @"zipain.5276" said:

> > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > @"zipain.5276" said:

> > > If you look through the patch notes, then they clearly only wants us to play dagger/x or deadeye.... except the auto attacks, the dagger builds got no nerfs. But s/d got gutted.... s/d is only good if played in a specific way, so this makes no sense.

> >

> > ...gutted? Ok chill out, S/D is still very effective and fun.

>

> "Fun" that was a good one :D Its very much 3 FS + LS, not exactly "fun" but its okay.

>

> Survivability got destroyed, SD only works now if you can +1 all the time. Or serverly outplay your enemy. Any other proff played by a decent player will rip you.

>

> Thief needs a design change.

Woah. Calm down there, champ. S/D is still one of the top tier builds. It’s effective and strong.

No, survivability didn’t get destroyed. It got brought in line, just like the other classes. Don’t act like Thief was the only one nerfed. S/D still works as a 1v1 or 2v2er and still can +1.

No they won’t.

As far as I know, S/D has winning matchups against:

Firebrand/Dragonhunter

Revenant

Elementalist

S/D has even matchups against:

Warrior

Ranger

Engineer

Mesmer

S/D has losing matchups against:

Necromancer

D/P Thief

Core Guardian

No, thief is fine as it is. Did you read all the patch notes or only thief’s? Because other classes got much harder nerfs except Mesmer.

In relation to everything else I don't feel like we're too bad off (mesmers excluded) except the AA change. If we weren't initiative based it'd be different, but forcing us to be more active with initiative hurts us in the end. Now we have weak cleave or downtime waiting for initiative on dagger and sword. We have other build and weapon options, of course, I just don't think they put in any thought past, "thief auto attack falls above the damage threshold for passive play, reduce it." Which is......

> @"Tinnel.4369" said:

> I just don't think they put in any thought past, "thief auto attack falls above the damage threshold for passive play, reduce it." Which is......

Indeed, and if the devs believe that even auto attacks are "passive play" for Thieves, we are already messed up.

Isn't it still common practice for a Thief to turn off the "auto" part of auto attacks? It's a wonder that my poor Razer Naga's 1 button still physically functions.