Wonder why some people never WVW

FASTCAR.7831

> @"derd.6413" said:

> because open world pvp and getting one shot by mesmers doesn't appeal to everybody

And because the only way to avoid being one-shot by mesmers is going with incredibly booring and cheesy dueling builds that will get you booted from any group play.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"trueanimus.4085" said:

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > because preference =)

>

> My wife doesnt play wvw simply becuase you have to follow a group ... ala zerg v zerg there is no way you can live roaming solo for long in wvw simply becuase of the way it is designed. die.. run back.. die.. run back.. gets old she says..

>

> myself.. im almost rank 5000 and i run with the zerg... works for me

>

hehe my wife finds the control difficult. she prefers diablo type controls.

> @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

>

> Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

>

> You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.

> It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

I am a PvXer, but I use my WvW build in PvE, mostly because its PvE and quite frankly I am amused with others when a NPC AI drops a stack of people because they fell into the zerker trap but they shouldn't be in zerker. Again a lot of PvE you can do in white gear. In WvW putting time into your gear can impact how your fights turn out. And not saying zerker, saying gear that fits what you are doing and how you play. Be that full zerk or full tank or anywhere inbetween. AIs are somewhat predictable, but players.....anything might go.

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

> >

> > Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

> >

> > You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.

> > It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

>

> I am a PvXer, but I use my WvW build in PvE, mostly because its PvE and quite frankly I am amused with others when a NPC AI drops a stack of people because they fell into the zerker trap but they shouldn't be in zerker. Again a lot of PvE you can do in white gear. In WvW putting time into your gear can impact how your fights turn out. And not saying zerker, saying gear that fits what you are doing and how you play. Be that full zerk or full tank or anywhere inbetween. AIs are somewhat predictable, but players.....anything might go.

Same. I have one set of Ascended/Legendary gear with one set of stats, runes, sigils. I may alter my build to suit a particular playstyle but I am tired of chasing the meta.

I love watching all the zerkers die to Mega Destroyer from a one shot that is dodgeable then proceed to /laugh.

> @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > > @"Shagaliscious.6281" said:

> > > > @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > > > > @"XenesisII.1540" said:

> > > > > > @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > > > > > I'm hoping that the server restructure helps a bit in the game. Tonight I got on around 2 hours ago. Didn't even reach max participation because enemies outnumbered us so heavily. I had to take a tower alone for the daily.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But you know. Fort Aspenwood is "full."

> > > > > >

> > > > > > WvW is a joke of a game mode. Anyone who thinks it's fun needs a psych eval.

> > > > >

> > > > > FA is currently Very High not Full.

> > > > >

> > > > > There was a lot of good fights on ebg between all 3 sides around durios for a good two hours tonight. The new system should help move some people around for better coverage balance.

> > > >

> > > > "Good" fights? It was everyone being holed up in a tower surrounded by aoes and banners. Either fought on the commander and died or had an arrow cart and made some progress. It was a joke, this entire game mode is just one giant joke. The day ANet finally finds the sense to add Gift of Battle to PvE somehow is the day this game mode finally dies.

> > >

> > > The fights last night were pretty good for FA. No matter what, when fighting Mag you can guarantee it will end up being a fight in/around SMC, meaning dealing with siege. You need to prepare for that. If you are coming in with a full zerk + scholar runes build, without a healer pocketing you, you will die very fast.

> >

> > Then we have awfully low expectations. He died constantly and eventually lagged out due to the cluster. And lost the tower due to both the pressure and the lack of engagement.

>

> Just out of curiosity, what class and build do you run in WVW?

Frontline firebrand (using celestial gear) and also a backline rev (zerker). I've been using the rev more recently because of lag issues on the front line.

Old is a state of mind 66 and my mind is in a terrible state but still wvw point and click , die a lot but accept that with my ummm skill level ,crotchetty hands so predominatly play frontline support so I feel like I can contribute in some way ,always fun . Not so much the dying but since they took out cost of repairs don't matter now.

All of you people bringing up "toxicity" in WvW... I don't even know what you're talking about. WvW doesn't even hold a candle to normal T4 fractal pugs... let alone CMs or raids. I just got into this game mode a few months ago. And it's such a breath of fresh air, that I'm not even looking back.

People don't WvW because they THINK the bar to entry is a lot higher than it actually is (that was my reason for waiting so long).

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

> > >

> > > Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

> > >

> > > You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.

> > > It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

> >

> > I am a PvXer, but I use my WvW build in PvE, mostly because its PvE and quite frankly I am amused with others when a NPC AI drops a stack of people because they fell into the zerker trap but they shouldn't be in zerker. Again a lot of PvE you can do in white gear. In WvW putting time into your gear can impact how your fights turn out. And not saying zerker, saying gear that fits what you are doing and how you play. Be that full zerk or full tank or anywhere inbetween. AIs are somewhat predictable, but players.....anything might go.

>

> Same. I have one set of Ascended/Legendary gear with one set of stats, runes, sigils. I may alter my build to suit a particular playstyle but I am tired of chasing the meta.

>

> I love watching all the zerkers die to Mega Destroyer from a one shot that is dodgeable then proceed to /laugh.

Meanwhile, all the zerkers who actually do, you know ... dodge, have done 3, 5 or 10 times as much damage as you and have carried the fight for you.

> @"Fallesafe.5932" said:

> All of you people bringing up "toxicity" in WvW... I don't even know what you're talking about. WvW doesn't even hold a candle to normal T4 fractal pugs... let alone CMs or raids. I just got into this game mode a few months ago. And it's such a breath of fresh air, that I'm not even looking back.

>

> People don't WvW because they THINK the bar to entry is a lot higher than it actually is (that was my reason for waiting so long).

Nah. They hate competitive pvp stuff, thats why they dont join. Theyre afraid of dying to mesmers thieves etc. Wvw hardly has an entry bar, everyone can play which ever stats they want to, make lots of mistakes in zerg fights and no one will give a rat's ass. At least, thats what happened With me. GvG is another issue, but then again, we arent talking about GvG.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Fallesafe.5932" said:

> > All of you people bringing up "toxicity" in WvW... I don't even know what you're talking about. WvW doesn't even hold a candle to normal T4 fractal pugs... let alone CMs or raids. I just got into this game mode a few months ago. And it's such a breath of fresh air, that I'm not even looking back.

> >

> > People don't WvW because they THINK the bar to entry is a lot higher than it actually is (that was my reason for waiting so long).

>

> Nah. They hate competitive pvp stuff, thats why they dont join. Theyre afraid of dying to mesmers thieves etc. Wvw hardly has an entry bar, everyone can play which ever stats they want to, make lots of mistakes in zerg fights and no one will give a rat's kitten. At least, thats what happened With me. GvG is another issue, but then again, we arent talking about GvG.

WvW is rough as an uplevel, there are still jobs to do if you don't have queued maps but its still rough. Haven't faced that in a long time now but I think they could still bolster uplevels more if they wanted people to level up in just WvW. And white/blue/gear doesn't match Exotic/Ascended, which is only more compounded when dealing with larger than group fights.

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > > > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > > If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

> > > >

> > > > Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

> > > >

> > > > You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.

> > > > It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

> > >

> > > I am a PvXer, but I use my WvW build in PvE, mostly because its PvE and quite frankly I am amused with others when a NPC AI drops a stack of people because they fell into the zerker trap but they shouldn't be in zerker. Again a lot of PvE you can do in white gear. In WvW putting time into your gear can impact how your fights turn out. And not saying zerker, saying gear that fits what you are doing and how you play. Be that full zerk or full tank or anywhere inbetween. AIs are somewhat predictable, but players.....anything might go.

> >

> > Same. I have one set of Ascended/Legendary gear with one set of stats, runes, sigils. I may alter my build to suit a particular playstyle but I am tired of chasing the meta.

> >

> > I love watching all the zerkers die to Mega Destroyer from a one shot that is dodgeable then proceed to /laugh.

>

> Meanwhile, all the zerkers who actually do, you know ... dodge, have done 3, 5 or 10 times as much damage as you and have carried the fight for you.

10 x 0 = 0. Dead peeps do no deeps. Again its about gear you are effective in. Know people that do fine in zerk since they know when to go in and get out. But in WvW you are no good if you melt in the first shots from a scourge or can't take a rotation from a thief. Its also about what role you are playing, are you leading the charge or flying in and out, going solo/group/zerg, support/defender/scout/healer/roamer....Gear up for what you are doing. But don't come on the forums and complain that another class is OP because you aren't geared as you should be and fell for, but its "meta". As posted above and to MIS-quote, screw meta this is WvW and all bets are off.

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > @"Fallesafe.5932" said:

> > > All of you people bringing up "toxicity" in WvW... I don't even know what you're talking about. WvW doesn't even hold a candle to normal T4 fractal pugs... let alone CMs or raids. I just got into this game mode a few months ago. And it's such a breath of fresh air, that I'm not even looking back.

> > >

> > > People don't WvW because they THINK the bar to entry is a lot higher than it actually is (that was my reason for waiting so long).

> >

> > Nah. They hate competitive pvp stuff, thats why they dont join. Theyre afraid of dying to mesmers thieves etc. Wvw hardly has an entry bar, everyone can play which ever stats they want to, make lots of mistakes in zerg fights and no one will give a rat's kitten. At least, thats what happened With me. GvG is another issue, but then again, we arent talking about GvG.

>

> WvW is rough as an uplevel, there are still jobs to do if you don't have queued maps but its still rough. Haven't faced that in a long time now but I think they could still bolster uplevels more if they wanted people to level up in just WvW. And white/blue/gear doesn't match Exotic/Ascended, which is only more compounded when dealing with larger than group fights.

Exotic armor and ascended trinkets (laurel vendor and reward track) are obtainable in wvw. Especially the armors, with selectable stats. The leveling up thing is still a thing in wvw, with 1 tome of knowledge per rankup of wvw.

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > > @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > > > > @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > > > > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > > > If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

> > > > >

> > > > > Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

> > > > >

> > > > > You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.

> > > > > It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

> > > >

> > > > I am a PvXer, but I use my WvW build in PvE, mostly because its PvE and quite frankly I am amused with others when a NPC AI drops a stack of people because they fell into the zerker trap but they shouldn't be in zerker. Again a lot of PvE you can do in white gear. In WvW putting time into your gear can impact how your fights turn out. And not saying zerker, saying gear that fits what you are doing and how you play. Be that full zerk or full tank or anywhere inbetween. AIs are somewhat predictable, but players.....anything might go.

> > >

> > > Same. I have one set of Ascended/Legendary gear with one set of stats, runes, sigils. I may alter my build to suit a particular playstyle but I am tired of chasing the meta.

> > >

> > > I love watching all the zerkers die to Mega Destroyer from a one shot that is dodgeable then proceed to /laugh.

> >

> > Meanwhile, all the zerkers who actually do, you know ... dodge, have done 3, 5 or 10 times as much damage as you and have carried the fight for you.

>

> 10 x 0 = 0. Dead peeps do no deeps. Again its about gear you are effective in. Know people that do fine in zerk since they know when to go in and get out. But in WvW you are no good if you melt in the first shots from a scourge or can't take a rotation from a thief. Its also about what role you are playing, are you leading the charge or flying in and out, going solo/group/zerg, support/defender/scout/healer/roamer....Gear up for what you are doing. But don't come on the forums and complain that another class is OP because you aren't geared as you should be and fell for, but its "meta". As posted above and to MIS-quote, screw meta this is WvW and all bets are off.

You know, surviving a thief rotation or a mesmer rotation or a druid in wvw is one thing, it is another to actually put up a fight against those classes as their mobility, dodge potential and invulnerabilities are really helpful. They will pewpew you from afar, run, deplete your cooldowns, back in with burst, repeat, game over. Theyre not invincible, but theres a reason they are heavily favored roaming classes. Especially With mesmers, check out the pvp forum, this class is beyond broken in small scale fights or duels.

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > > @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > > > > @"Rashagar.8349" said:

> > > > > > @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > > > > > If you think about WvW is one of the few spots that build, class, playstyle, gear, rotations all really matter.

> > > > >

> > > > > Funnily enough the reason I always loved wvw so much was because it was the one place where build/gear/playstyle etc didn't matter haha!

> > > > >

> > > > > You could use any gear stats that you wanted and still contribute effectively (not just Berserker or gtfo), you could try fun niche builds and interesting rune choices instead of Scholars/"max dmg omg" type approach, it let you actually explore the depth of the game instead of being subjected to the sort of "this encounter has been solved already and if you don't conform to the preexisting solution then you're a selfish player who's playing wrong" mentality that was infesting pve.

> > > > > It was just such a different atmosphere from the rest of the game. Nobody cared about taking a few minutes longer than some "optimal" time, nobody cared about the gear anyone else had, everybody was grown up enough to understand that losing/dying in a computer game wasn't the end of the world. Generally just everything felt more chill there. Which in turn let me experiment with builds in peace. Maybe at the cost of a few extra deaths, but who's counting? =)

> > > >

> > > > I am a PvXer, but I use my WvW build in PvE, mostly because its PvE and quite frankly I am amused with others when a NPC AI drops a stack of people because they fell into the zerker trap but they shouldn't be in zerker. Again a lot of PvE you can do in white gear. In WvW putting time into your gear can impact how your fights turn out. And not saying zerker, saying gear that fits what you are doing and how you play. Be that full zerk or full tank or anywhere inbetween. AIs are somewhat predictable, but players.....anything might go.

> > >

> > > Same. I have one set of Ascended/Legendary gear with one set of stats, runes, sigils. I may alter my build to suit a particular playstyle but I am tired of chasing the meta.

> > >

> > > I love watching all the zerkers die to Mega Destroyer from a one shot that is dodgeable then proceed to /laugh.

> >

> > Meanwhile, all the zerkers who actually do, you know ... dodge, have done 3, 5 or 10 times as much damage as you and have carried the fight for you.

>

> 10 x 0 = 0. Dead peeps do no deeps. Again its about gear you are effective in. Know people that do fine in zerk since they know when to go in and get out. But in WvW you are no good if you melt in the first shots from a scourge or can't take a rotation from a thief. Its also about what role you are playing, are you leading the charge or flying in and out, going solo/group/zerg, support/defender/scout/healer/roamer....Gear up for what you are doing. But don't come on the forums and complain that another class is OP because you aren't geared as you should be and fell for, but its "meta". As posted above and to MIS-quote, screw meta this is WvW and all bets are off.

Not even. Most people who aren't dying are probably in zerker gear. They're just, you know, good at the game. Building tankier isn't always the solution (although it never hurts, so you do you). I play several zerk classes, and the largest issue when it comes to thieves or mesmers is that it's drawn out and stale. Scourges - especially in smaller groups - absolutely wreck me with conditions, but that's part of this whole "balance" thing. The bigger issues with dueling their classes are they're either kind of easy, heavily favorable for hit and run and my personal gripe is that the fights last forever. I had a mesmer contesting a camp I was trying to cap, we fought on point for about 6 minutes. I went from having a fresh participation timer to being almost 3 minutes to decay.

...As someone who likes rewards, that's stupid.