Which dev has been working on mesmer?

Sevenfold.8702

> @"Sevenfold.8702" said:

> Given the speed of balance changes I could only assume this was the case.

You mean it's what indicates there isn't one? Yeah, basically. Good as GW2 was at its base, the ongoing development - or rather the lack thereof, in regards to classes - and the glacial speed of any balance changes preclude the solid base from ever having been developed into actually interesting classes.

So, all 9 of them - which is weird, given how one is younger! - remain a hodgepodge of interesting ideas thrown randomly at a wall, and hoping 10+ stick so a sorta viable class pops out. And then praying that balance isn't too far out of whack.

As an example, that Phantasm rework just now? Those reworks should have happened **a whole lot** of times in the past 5+ years. Half a dozen to a dozen per class, cutting out abilities / traits which just don't work, replacing them with new ones, maybe scrapping entire aspects of the class or even the whole trait/combat system. Instead we wait years for a single mechanical rework and all other development is funneled into adding more and more messy und unfinished elements on top with the "elite" specs.

I suspect it's indicative of just how understaffed the dev team is in regards to "reworking existing game elements". No money in it, so it's 1 sad person having to fix all the bugs and only getting to do actual reworks in their spare time.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"Sevenfold.8702" said:

> > Given the speed of balance changes I could only assume this was the case.

>

> You mean it's what indicates there isn't one? Yeah, basically. Good as GW2 was at its base, the ongoing development - or rather the lack thereof, in regards to classes - and the glacial speed of any balance changes preclude the solid base from ever having been developed into actually interesting classes.

>

> So, all 9 of them - which is weird, given how one is younger! - remain a hodgepodge of interesting ideas thrown randomly at a wall, and hoping 10+ stick so a sorta viable class pops out. And then praying that balance isn't too far out of whack.

>

> As an example, that Phantasm rework just now? Those reworks should have happened **a whole lot** of times in the past 5+ years. Half a dozen to a dozen per class, cutting out abilities / traits which just don't work, replacing them with new ones, maybe scrapping entire aspects of the class or even the whole trait/combat system. Instead we wait years for a single mechanical rework and all other development is funneled into adding more and more messy und unfinished elements on top with the "elite" specs.

>

> I suspect it's indicative of just how understaffed the dev team is in regards to "reworking existing game elements". No money in it, so it's 1 sad person having to fix all the bugs and only getting to do actual reworks in their spare time.

>

To give credit where credit is due though, the past year has seen several reworks of entire skill categories, for multiple classes. Yes, most were significantly smaller than the phantasm change, but we also saw spirit weapons be changed, mantras got overhauled, ele's conjured weapons received fairly large changes, considering, a while back. The team does seem to care a lot about addressing skills that don't feel fun to play with, they just don't see to have nearly enough people to be able to push it out at a pace that we want.

Oh definitely. I get a feeling that since they got Ben, there's at least been a serious *push* towards reworking more about the classes.

I don't truly think they have the manpower assigned to the task to make up for ~5 years of not doing it, and especially skipping 2 expansions worth of total class reworks, but meh, maybe they'll get a few more.

• 2 weeks later...

They definitely messed up big time on balancing with this mesmer overhaul. Double ammo mindwrack and chronophantasma paired with the new phantasms (among other issues) are simply way overpowered with the upgrades to power weapons. But power mesmer was in terrible shape previously and phantasms produced some of the most boring gameplay I've ever experienced in an MMO prior to the patch.

I guess what I'm saying is that I totally agree that balance is way off here. However, that can be fixed. On the other hand, they really did make some much-needed improvements to the mesmer class. I never enjoyed mesmer prior to PoF, but Mirage is about the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. Balance this class, yes. But give credit where it's due: They really produced some interesting playstyles here and I hope they can manage to maintain that feel while simultaneously bringing balance.

> @"Carighan.6758" said:

> > @"Sevenfold.8702" said:

> > Given the speed of balance changes I could only assume this was the case.

>

> You mean it's what indicates there isn't one? Yeah, basically. Good as GW2 was at its base, the ongoing development - or rather the lack thereof, in regards to classes - and the glacial speed of any balance changes preclude the solid base from ever having been developed into actually interesting classes.

>

> So, all 9 of them - which is weird, given how one is younger! - remain a hodgepodge of interesting ideas thrown randomly at a wall, and hoping 10+ stick so a sorta viable class pops out. And then praying that balance isn't too far out of whack.

>

> As an example, that Phantasm rework just now? Those reworks should have happened **a whole lot** of times in the past 5+ years. Half a dozen to a dozen per class, cutting out abilities / traits which just don't work, replacing them with new ones, maybe scrapping entire aspects of the class or even the whole trait/combat system. Instead we wait years for a single mechanical rework and all other development is funneled into adding more and more messy und unfinished elements on top with the "elite" specs.

>

> I suspect it's indicative of just how understaffed the dev team is in regards to "reworking existing game elements". No money in it, so it's 1 sad person having to fix all the bugs and only getting to do actual reworks in their spare time.

>

It is all just speculation.

> @"Zappix.7928" said:

> I just want the old Greatsword sounds to return, but Mesmer as it stands needs phantasms fixed, they are unreliable and weird and I don't like it It should go back to how it was. Thank you.

Phantasms do need to be fixed, but how are they unreliable?

Also, this is significantly better than what it was before. Before, our class mechanic was self defeating, and phantasms absolutely did not fit in design wise. They do now.

> @"Ceriph.3518" said:

> Hi , lets play a game.

>

> I have insane burst, condi output, CC, sustain,mobility ,stealth, boon spam, am a must for end game PVE with a support role and an incredible DPS role, and am literally the most versatile class in the game. What am I?

A warrior with somebody else providing stealth?

A Ranger?

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Zappix.7928" said:

> > I just want the old Greatsword sounds to return, but Mesmer as it stands needs phantasms fixed, they are unreliable and weird and I don't like it It should go back to how it was. Thank you.

>

> Phantasms do need to be fixed, but how are they unreliable?

>

> Also, this is significantly better than what it was before. Before, our class mechanic was self defeating, and phantasms absolutely did not fit in design wise. They do now.

Cast time is a bit too long, mine bug out and will just stand there not attacking the target I've cast against, they are supposed to shatter and turn into clones after they've done the attack, mine do this sometimes and then sometimes they don't. I'll agree with you that they are more fun now when they actually work but it's hit and miss and that's not dependent on whether you're doing it right, it doesn't matter if you're doing it right because they'll still mess up in the way I mentioned. I don't know if others have experienced this but it's what I've noticed. Also Phantasmal Defender needs its recharge reduced and they should lower RC on diversion and remove the lower CD when you activate mantra of distraction imo.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> but Mirage is about the most fun I've ever had in an MMO. They really produced some interesting playstyles here and I hope they can manage to maintain that feel while simultaneously bringing balance.

>

This to a point where I do not give a s..t if Chrono is OP. I just do not like it. I still play Mirage because it's fun and when playing a game I want to have fun. I do not care about FotM class if it is not what I like playing

> @"Ceriph.3518" said:

> Hi , lets play a game.

>

> I have insane burst, condi output, CC, sustain,mobility ,stealth, boon spam, am a must for end game PVE with a support role and an incredible DPS role, and am literally the most versatile class in the game. What am I?

a fusion of mirage/chrono/core mesmer?

> @"Zappix.7928" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > @"Zappix.7928" said:

> > > I just want the old Greatsword sounds to return, but Mesmer as it stands needs phantasms fixed, they are unreliable and weird and I don't like it It should go back to how it was. Thank you.

> >

> > Phantasms do need to be fixed, but how are they unreliable?

> >

> > Also, this is significantly better than what it was before. Before, our class mechanic was self defeating, and phantasms absolutely did not fit in design wise. They do now.

>

> Cast time is a bit too long, mine bug out and will just stand there not attacking the target I've cast against, they are supposed to shatter and turn into clones after they've done the attack, mine do this sometimes and then sometimes they don't. I'll agree with you that they are more fun now when they actually work but it's hit and miss and that's not dependent on whether you're doing it right, it doesn't matter if you're doing it right because they'll still mess up in the way I mentioned. I don't know if others have experienced this but it's what I've noticed. Also Phantasmal Defender needs its recharge reduced and they should lower RC on diversion and remove the lower CD when you activate mantra of distraction imo.

The cast times are the same as they used to be. In fact, warden is actually faster to cast after the changes

The chronomancer trait chronophantasma makes it so that only the second phantasm despawns into a clone. The first one respawns into a second phantasm. This explains that issue that you've mentioned.

Issues with shatters have nothing to do with our phantasm rework

Individual phantasm do need to be looked at and changed. But, again, that doesn't mean the rework didn't make the mechanic better

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> The chronomancer trait chronophantasma makes it so that only the second phantasm despawns into a clone. The first one respawns into a second phantasm. This explains that issue that you've mentioned.

Yeah, that confused me for a while being a new mesmer player. I had to really read the shatter tooltips (F1-5) where it specifies that clones shatter, not clones and phantasms. I was wondering why GS phantasms didn't count as one of the three "dots" even though I could see them on the screen. It wasn't intuitive to me that phantasms =/= clones. This also made me pay more attention to how many clones I have up before using CS (which [i'm really trying to learn](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35677/continuum-split-please-help-me-understand-answered "I'm really trying to learn") with the good help of the forum members here -- thanks!)

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > The chronomancer trait chronophantasma makes it so that only the second phantasm despawns into a clone. The first one respawns into a second phantasm. This explains that issue that you've mentioned.

>

> Yeah, that confused me for a while being a new mesmer player. I had to really read the shatter tooltips (F1-5) where it specifies that clones shatter, not clones and phantasms. I was wondering why GS phantasms didn't count as one of the three "dots" even though I could see them on the screen. It wasn't intuitive to me that phantasms =/= clones. This also made me pay more attention to how many clones I have up before using CS (which [i'm really trying to learn](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35677/continuum-split-please-help-me-understand-answered "I'm really trying to learn") with the good help of the forum members here -- thanks!)

>

Well, until a few months ago phantasms did count as one of those 3 dots, but this caused a lot of problems with our class mechanic (phantasms didn't despawn into a clone after 1 attack, but rather kept attacking continuously until they or their target died, with each one having their own CD between attacks). I don't think this is the right thread to get into all of those problems and reasons why it was changed, but I can if you are interested.

I agree, that for a new player right now it could be unintuitive. I do think that having phantasms and clones look different probably helps some, as it at least tells you that they are not the same type of summon. But since I, and most others here, are so familiar with the class already, I don't know of a good way to teach this to new players that is quick, easy to understand, and also doesn't feel patronizing.