Game Downloading extremely slow

I can't seem to get above 2mb a second. If I change my language it goes up and then right back down. I was debating on playing but I remember this being an issue YEARS ago and it saddens me to see it's still exists. Is there any way to speed it up or should I just uninstall it. I'm not baiting I'm being serious I want to play but this is horsecrap.

> @"Cregath.7628" said:

> Just start the DL and leave the PC on overnight.

> Also isn't the DL set to Peer-to-Peer or something? If that's the case then probably when your client starts uploading for others you don't have enough bandwidth left to download at full speed.

I'm going to have to leave it on overnight. Unless anyone else has a fix?

> @"PMoneyMobileRobot.4630" said:

> I can't seem to get above 2mb a second.

I can't read this without thinking "two millibits per second". Yeah, that's SLOW. ;) ;) ;) B) :p ("M" = mega, "m" = milli = 1/1000, B = byte, b = bit).

But yeah, I have 300 Mbps "full fibre" internet (100Mbps upload) at home (northern France) and I get highly variable download rates. Steam can generally get 35 MBps, FFXIV usually manages 25+MBps. GW2 varies wildly from moment to moment, and I have yet to see it get above about 15 MBps.

GW2 downloads hundreds of thousands of individual files, a lot of which are only a few KB. When it's downloading these smaller files, it's simply not possible to reach higher speeds, as requesting them takes longer than downloading them. It's also dealing with compression and managing the data structure at the same time, which can further reduce it.

Here's Gw2-64.exe direct from the patch server. It's a better sample at ~32 MB. If you can download this file at the speed you're expecting, there's nothing you can do about GW2.

If you want to try different patch servers, use the option:

-assetsrv 52.22.208.210

To get different IPs, open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter:

nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

> @"Cregath.7628" said:

> Also isn't the DL set to Peer-to-Peer or something?

No, it's standard http.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> GW2 downloads hundreds of thousands of individual files, a lot of which are only a few KB. When it's downloading these smaller files, it's simply not possible to reach higher speeds, as requesting them takes longer than downloading them. It's also dealing with compression and managing the data structure at the same time, which can further reduce it.

>

> Here's Gw2-64.exe direct from the patch server. It's a better sample at ~32 MB. If you can download this file at the speed you're expecting, there's nothing you can do about GW2.

>

> If you want to try different patch servers, use the option:

> -assetsrv 52.22.208.210

>

> To get different IPs, open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter:

> nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 8.8.8.8

>

> > @"Cregath.7628" said:

> > Also isn't the DL set to Peer-to-Peer or something?

>

> No, it's standard http.

I tried that earlier today and it didn't seem to change. I'll have to check it once I get home from work.

Ah yes, there is that. What Healix mentioned.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> GW2 downloads hundreds of thousands of individual files, a lot of which are only a few KB.

Downloading the file is one thing. This file also needs to be added to an index and written on your disk. This means that downloading onto a slower HDD will limit your Download speed. If you have any SSD it shouldn't affect Download speed to this extent.

I've downloaded the game again a few months ago and I'm fairly sure I had a Download speed of ~25-30 MBps with my 250 Mbps connection, which is about right. Obviously it sometimes dropped down when it started writing files even with the SSD. So yeah there is that.

> @"Cregath.7628" said:

> Ah yes, there is that. What Healix mentioned.

>

> > @"Healix.5819" said:

> > GW2 downloads hundreds of thousands of individual files, a lot of which are only a few KB.

>

> Downloading the file is one thing. This file also needs to be added to an index and written on your disk. This means that downloading onto a slower HDD will limit your Download speed. If you have any SSD it shouldn't affect Download speed to this extent.

>

> I've downloaded the game again a few months ago and I'm fairly sure I had a Download speed of ~25-30 MBps with my 250 Mbps connection, which is about right. Obviously it sometimes dropped down when it started writing files even with the SSD. So yeah there is that.

I do have a SSD that's what I was installing it on. I just left it on overnight.