Profession selection and high end content...wish for balance.

Over the course of last few months, I'm enjoying myself playing GW2 quite a lot: great community + meaningful content, this game has a lot going for it.

I realized somewhere along the road that i have to adapt to the game, having a "right tool for the job" approach to selecting character for the content i plan on running - be it the build, equipment selection, food selection...but, I also realized that high end content is biased to some professions.

This in itself is not a problem, if every profession has a niche to fill content-vise - a type of content that profession is good (or even excels) at, be it PvP, WvW, PvE. But lately i feel that is not the case. Outside of world bosses and bounties run (content where more bodies are always a plus) i find myself forced to chose between warr/mess/necro in order to find a group for high end PvE content, and if i look over to PvP \ WvW i encounter similar issues. Of course i can choose to play what i want, but my choices limits my contribution to other players, and if i choose something that brings little contribution to the table - well that will cause other players to avoid interacting with me.

Have you experienced something similar in your travels across Tyria?

I would really love to see some reworks done to professions that are not "mainstream" in order to get them a slot to fill in fractal runs/PvP/raids etc.. there does not need to be a place for each profession in each type of content, but in at least one type - it should be good and sought after.

> @"Arioch.4810" said:

> Outside of world bosses and bounties run (content where more bodies are always a plus) i find myself forced to chose between warr/mess/necro in order to find a group for high end PvE content...

>i find myself forced to chose between warr/mess/necro

>necro

>**_necro_**

You are forced to pick necro to do high end PvE? What's the secret?

Yeah, I use my scrapper for everything and generally know that if I do group content outside of with my guild mates then there's a chance I will be harassed for playing it, but that's why I tend to stick with my guild for fractals and stuff, then do open world stuff. I won't even dare try a raid, though, because I know I don't have the best build for it lol.

(Although when my guild gets into it then I might give it a try.)

> @"Arioch.4810" said:

> Over the course of last few months, I'm enjoying myself playing GW2 quite a lot: great community + meaningful content, this game has a lot going for it.

> I realized somewhere along the road that i have to adapt to the game, having a "right tool for the job" approach to selecting character for the content i plan on running - be it the build, equipment selection, food selection...but, I also realized that high end content is biased to some professions.

>

> This in itself is not a problem, if every profession has a niche to fill content-vise - a type of content that profession is good (or even excels) at, be it PvP, WvW, PvE. But lately i feel that is not the case. Outside of world bosses and bounties run (content where more bodies are always a plus) i find myself forced to chose between warr/mess/necro in order to find a group for high end PvE content, and if i look over to PvP \ WvW i encounter similar issues. Of course i can choose to play what i want, but my choices limits my contribution to other players, and if i choose something that brings little contribution to the table - well that will cause other players to avoid interacting with me.

>

> Have you experienced something similar in your travels across Tyria?

>

> I would really love to see some reworks done to professions that are not "mainstream" in order to get them a slot to fill in fractal runs/PvP/raids etc.. there does not need to be a place for each profession in each type of content, but in at least one type - it should be good and sought after.

Honestly, I haven't found it to be an issue at all outside of raids filling a slot or fractal speed runs that seek a very specific composition. Balance is far from perfect and always a work in progress, but I can't think of any class that doesn't have viable builds in at least something.

Balance shouldn’t be done around the meta which is player driven. You’ll still run into issues where a new meta may be formed because certain classes are mathematically superior over others.

On the other hand, Anet can just delete the whole build system altogether and balance it that way for each game mode. Honestly, those that strictly follow the meta would not notice a change as that’s what they’ve essentially been doing all this time.

I suggest finding players that like to play like you do and do the content with them. All content can be done with any class. Running the most optimal setup or meta isn’t a necessity.