Mix and Match Rune Bonuses- WvW Only

Swagger.1459

Edited due to lack of caffeine...

What if we were able to "mix and match" any rune bonuses in gear? Designate (head to feet) armor as 1-6 for type of rune bonus used, as opposed to the current way runes work. WvW only so it doesn't break pve?

Like this...

-Head slot always uses 1st bonus of any rune.

-Shoulder slot always uses 2nd bonus of any rune.

-Chest slot always uses 3rd bonus of any rune.

-Arm slot always uses 4th bonus of any rune.

-Leg slot always uses 5th bonus of any rune.

-Foot slot uses 6th bonus of any rune.

So you get to choose which bonus you want from any rune. The bonus is determined by where you slot it in your gear, not by how many of the same rune you have.

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> Anet specifically changed runes to encourage 6/6 set usage.. Using the second bonus of three sets before then was common.. One of the many ways builds were forcibly homogenized since launch.

>

> It seems unlikely they'll impliment OP's suggestion

thats diffrent tho. there were many strong effects on the 2nd slot so they moved the better effects towards the last slots. with OPs changes you could still only get 1 effect from 1st , 1 from 2nd slot etc so it could be balanced around that.

It could be nice idea, indeed. I personally don't like that much the current system, because it is basically always plain 6x same rune. Just very rarely you use combinations like 2 + 4. So, runes could basically changed so, that you would have one "rune slot" in your character panel and slot the rune you want there to get the bonuses (like in sPvP, in fact). It is bit unnecessary complexity to manually place runes in armors, because you don't gain any benefits or interesting effects or anything from the freedom to mix-match runes individually piece-by-piece.

I like the idea. Maybe you like the scholar's #6 bonus but want ferocity instead of precision, or condi instead of power. Also there are some little-used runesets with potentially interesting effects but the rest of the set is underwhelming so no one uses them. Are there any runes that summon minions outside of the #6 slot? Could get hairy with those on minionmancers or rangers.

> @"Euryon.9248" said:

> I like the idea. Maybe you like the scholar's #6 bonus but want ferocity instead of precision, or condi instead of power. Also there are some little-used runesets with potentially interesting effects but the rest of the set is underwhelming so no one uses them. Are there any runes that summon minions outside of the #6 slot? Could get hairy with those on minionmancers or rangers.

the ogre rune does. also you could with mixing get only power as stats or only ferocity etc while currently most runes got one main stat and mostly a secondary.

The compete. runes of this game just need a toal rebalance finally. 90% of all runes in this game are just utter total trash and useless, because they don#t get consistently rebalanced and overworked, like anet does do it consistently in balance patches with skilsl and traits...

Would Upgrades in this game and all the other ignored combat system elements receive only half as much attention as like skills and traits receive, then we would have by now already a definetely much better balanced game in overall.

Especially for WvW and PvP, where it matters the most that all parts of the combat system need to get consistently looked at and not just always permanently skills and traits only, like as if all the rest of this game's combat system mechanics don't matter at all under Anets view, as it seems.

> @"Orpheal.8263" said:

> The compete. runes of this game just need a toal rebalance finally. 90% of all runes in this game are just utter total trash and useless, because they don#t get consistently rebalanced and overworked, like anet does do it consistently in balance patches with skilsl and traits...

>

> Would Upgrades in this game and all the other ignored combat system elements receive only half as much attention as like skills and traits receive, then we would have by now already a definetely much better balanced game in overall.

> Especially for WvW and PvP, where it matters the most that all parts of the combat system need to get consistently looked at and not just always permanently skills and traits only, like as if all the rest of this game's combat system mechanics don't matter at all under Anets view, as it seems.

Eh, the following runes are used actively:

- Pack, Strength, Scholar, Durability, Scrapper, Chrono, Reaper, Surging, Mercy, Trooper, Balthazar, Berserker, Nightmare, Aristocracy, Renegade, Trapper, Water, Monk, Leadership, Traveler, Revenant(21 here)

Sometimes used:

- Adventurer, Spellbreaker, Guardian, Herald, Firebrand, Krait, Perplexity, Scavenging, Thorns, Dragonhunter, Altruism, Rebirth, Defender, Dwayna, Druid (15 here)

So total of 36 different runes are being used effectively to my knowledge and there are total of 93 different rune sets meaning theres 57 rune sets are bad to my knowledge. Notice I didnt list terrible runes like divinity, hoelbrak, melandru or Ogre even though some people use them.

Percentagewise 39% of runes are being used and 61% are not. I am pretty sure there might be a few more runes that I dont know about being used.

If theyd actually buff runes like hoelbrak and melandru that are terrible now due to power creep, we could some pretty cool builds. I think buffing them slightly would be enough.