> @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> > > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > > > @"mrstealth.6701" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jinks.2057" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > > > > > > Gotta love how some people are acting like ArenaNet gave the game a T rating and not some separate entity called the ESRB

> > > > > > > > Nope, Arenanet apparently gets to decide what the ESRB rates their games (i mean i guess they could insert more gore and sex to raise the number... but im not sure that would appeal to them anyway)

> > > > > > > > And as we all know, until age of majority parents take responsibility for any wrongdoing of a child (provided that the child is not the one proven to be a total menace acting outside of any parents possible control... then we ship their little butts to juvi)

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The ESRB ratings is a voluntary process. The fact that Arenanet puts that rating before all advertisements and all over their product confirms they made the game for that age group. Then finally on their requirements they list that you need to be 13 years or older to play AND you have to be 13 years or older to register an account.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > They have in fact set precedence for the age group of the game in every which way possible.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It is perfectly viable for a parent to read the ESRB rating & read the requirements at time of purchase and never be informed they are required to sign the UA. In these situations the act of installing spyware is illegal. This has nothing to do with a child using a cheat program on a game and everything to do with the way they implemented their anti-cheat spyware.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > We are not arguing at the removal of cheaters in the game. We are arguing the way it was done since it's already been established they falsely banned people.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The ESRB rating and the age group the game is targeted/marketed to are not the same thing. They often align because if you want to target/market to 13 year olds, you aren't going to have a level of violence or language that would cause it to be rated M. But there are other games that despite E or E10+ ratings, are not intended for or marketed to children. This could be for a variety of reasons such as complexity, difficulty, or simply not aligning with common likes/interests of kids.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Despite their kid-friendly ratings I don't see many young kids enjoying the difficulty of a puzzle game like The Witness or having much interest in the broad range of [insert dull job here] Simulator games.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And I think just about every game trailer outside of indie games has an ESRB rating thrown on it.

> > > > >

> > > > > They specifically state 13+ to register. They specifically show their ESRB rating at the beginning of advertisements.

> > > >

> > > > The sky is blue. The dog says "woof". Writing those two statements down on the same piece of paper does not make them have anything to do with each other.

> > > >

> > > > The game could be rated E10+ if there was no blood, a little less violence, and a few words removed/changed. That doe nots mean the game would be marketed to 10 year olds, or that they are would be permitted to play it.

> > >

> > > If they put on the box that a 10 year old can register an account then yes it would. In this instance these two things have EVERYTHING to do with each other.

> >

> > There is nothing to show that the two things aligning is anything more than coincidence. It's quite possible, maybe even likely, that Anet designed the content of the game in a way to have them align, but have no way of knowing that. You are not very likely to get anywhere with such an argument in any legal proceeding.

> >

> > Fun example:

> > TERA is rated M. TERA's ToS allows 13 year olds to play the game, though it does require that a parent actually complete the registration for them.

>

> http://tera.enmasse.com/legal/terms-of-service

>

> Can you point me to the place in that very lovely ToS where they can install spyware on your computer?

>

> Also the game is now free to play and is now squarely in the Epic vs 14 yr old lawsuit realm. Read up on that one.

>

> Thanks though!

Any clause regarding monitoring/"spyware" isn't relevant to the point I was making, which was entirely about the relationship (or lack there of) between ESRB ratings and who is intended/permitted to play. That said, in my brief skimming, I did not see a monitoring clause comparable to Anet's in their ToS.

I wouldn't say that TERA is in the realm of the Epic lawsuit, considering that their EULA specifically addresses how minors may be permitted to play.

The Epic lawsuit is certainly an interesting one, though I don't know how much of a chance the issues over the EULA have of standing up in court. It's not really anything to cite as an example until the case is resolved...that is, if it gets resolved in a court case rather than a settlement.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious as to why people dont just delete their account /ask Anet to permanently delete their account if theyre so dissatisfied with the way Anet handled the cheating issue, and stop supporting them. All this mindless bashing is going in circles for 10-20 pages now? Is this thread still offering anything? Is the constant passives aggressiveness of certain people and their mantra-like use of same debunked arguments, really offering anything?