Macro binding for /gg

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > that would be multiple actions and not allowed (Enter, /gg, Enter --> 5 key presses)

> > but not sure if anet would actually ban you over a QoL thing like that

>

> yes they would

they dont ban you for music macros either, sometimes they make exceptions to their rule

they also dont punish people for double click macros afaik

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> that would be multiple actions and not allowed (Enter, /gg, Enter --> 5 key presses)

> but not sure if anet would actually ban you over a QoL thing like that

If you type / it automatically opens the chat window starting with a /, so there's no need to press the Enter key first :)

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > that would be multiple actions and not allowed (Enter, /gg, Enter --> 5 key presses)

>

> If you type / it automatically opens the chat window starting with a /, so there's no need to press the Enter key first :)

unless I am binded different, it just opens or collapses the chat panel.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

>

> If you type / it automatically opens the chat window starting with a /, so there's no need to press the Enter key first :)

does not work for me, must be different key binding

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > that would be multiple actions and not allowed (Enter, /gg, Enter --> 5 key presses)

> > > but not sure if anet would actually ban you over a QoL thing like that

> >

> > If you type / it automatically opens the chat window starting with a /, so there's no need to press the Enter key first :)

>

> unless I am binded different, it just opens or collapses the chat panel.

\ opens and closes the chat panel, / should open a chat line with "/". Maybe it depends on your keyboard setup, mine is on US-International.

Are you sure you're making the distinction between the forward slash "/" and a backslash "\"? The forward slash, located next to Right Shift, is what you use to quick access commands like /gg or /m /s /p, etc. Back Slash, located above Enter, is what toggles chatbox visibility. Unless you rebound forward slash to anything, it should function as a quick-open for the chat and input the / for you.

Even still, it's not that difficult to /gg. If you're /gg'ing, stuff's gone to shit already, so you generally can just stand still and even finger-poke it out if you're not trained with a keyboard. Plus, if you macro it, no aborting if you accidentally bump the button and you end up gg'ing by accident. That'll get you fast-kicked, for sure.

> that would be multiple actions and not allowed (Enter, /gg, Enter --> 5 key presses)

I'm not so sure about this argument. The default method to put the arrow squad marker on an object is alt+shift+1. 3 key presses, but clearly binding it to a single key is fine. If they wanted to imply what your claiming, why wouldn't they simply say, 'macros are not allowed'? The official stance is, 'If you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action" (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/352/policy-third-party-programs-multi-boxing-macros). Seems to me like killing yourself is one action, doesn't provide any advantage, can't be exploited, etc.

Tell you what, I will answer OP's question, and if my post is deleted or thread locked by mod etc, I guess we will kinda have an indirect answer.

@"Belorn.2659" You have a few well known options. You could make an auto hot key script, which would recognize a certain key press, say f12, and it would always do this: [enter][short pause][/][short pause][g][short pause][g][short pause][enter]. The short pauses generally make these types of things more reliable, although may not be necessary.

If you use logitech hardware with programmable buttons (mouse,keyboard, headset), you can program such a macro to a single button. Using the logitech software for my mouse, I have control+v bound to a single key (paste squad messages I copy from discord).

If you use a controller (I do in my left hand), you can use xpadder software, which is extremely useful and extremely programmable. Feel free to message me about this. I have /gg bound to one of the buttons on the right side of my controller, whenever I want to gg, I move my right hand off the mouse, and press the button. Nice and easy, and I use it in raids all the time lol.

Just like all tools, these tools can be used appropriately or inappropriately. It is up to individual players to comply with the rules.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > that would be multiple actions and not allowed (Enter, /gg, Enter --> 5 key presses)

> > > > but not sure if anet would actually ban you over a QoL thing like that

> > >

> > > If you type / it automatically opens the chat window starting with a /, so there's no need to press the Enter key first :)

> >

> > unless I am binded different, it just opens or collapses the chat panel.

>

> \ opens and closes the chat panel, / should open a chat line with "/". Maybe it depends on your keyboard setup, mine is on US-International.

Kk do you have to press shift too then?

> @"HardRider.2980" said:

> / g g its soo simple, you can do it in like .5 second.

It is for raiding. One hand resting on awd and second hand on the mouse, so it takes more than 0.5 to move the hands for typing. Thought about macro key since the keyboard has those, but sending so many key presses seems bound for failure and was hoping that I had just missed feature to enable single key emotes.

Maybe a QoL update for the future unless the /gg rework in fractals also get translated into raiding.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

>

> Kk do you have to press shift too then?

No, on a US-International keyboard the "/" is next to the right shift as a standard key. The shift-click version of that button is "?". I believe on a German keyboard layout (if I go by all the German wrongful /gg commands I see) the "/" is located at 7, but shift-clicked. Perhaps this is the reason why some can't just press "/" to open the chat with a /.

The hilarity if somebody gets banned for auto-suiciding their character. :dizzy:

On topic, @"Belorn.2659" how often do you need to "/gg" if you need a hotkey for that?

In answer to _your_ query - I would't bother risking it.

3-4 full or semi-full clears per week with varied results for each group. Some of that being low man, some want dhuum cm training, and on some weeks there is training raids to help new players to get into raiding.

I don't know the number of /gg per week but it is a few.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> No, on a US-International keyboard the "/" is next to the right shift as a standard key. The shift-click version of that button is "?". I believe on a German keyboard layout (if I go by all the German wrongful /gg commands I see) the "/" is located at 7, but shift-clicked. Perhaps this is the reason why some can't just press "/" to open the chat with a /.

DJ juggs is correct, you cannot use the / on european keyboards because of the shift key -requirement. However you can re-keybind it. Personally I bound it to the - key which is located right next to the right shift in real keyboards :P

• 3 weeks later...

> @"saloja.7920" said:

> > @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > No, on a US-International keyboard the "/" is next to the right shift as a standard key. The shift-click version of that button is "?". I believe on a German keyboard layout (if I go by all the German wrongful /gg commands I see) the "/" is located at 7, but shift-clicked. Perhaps this is the reason why some can't just press "/" to open the chat with a /.

>

> DJ juggs is correct, you cannot use the / on european keyboards because of the shift key -requirement. However you can re-keybind it. Personally I bound it to the - key which is located right next to the right shift in real keyboards :P

A bit late but you don't need to rebind any key because on the german keyboard you can do the same by pressing the "-" key left from the right shift key.