[Suggestion] Auto-Fire attacking with ground-target attacks (grenade, mortar kits) on Fast Targeting

Confusing title? Maybe. If you've ever used a grenade or mortar kit, but still want a range indicator (whether fast targeting is off, or on On Release) you've likely found it's incredibly obnoxious, because you must click spam to keep attacking. Instant Cast fixes this, of course, but you are denied your indicators on **all abilities.** I don't like that.

Simple suggestion: either implement as an option, or just make it standard behavior that first slot attacks like grenade throw or mortar fire are always automatic fire. When used with On Release casting, the AoE indicator could still highlight on the ground, but you'd keep firing automatically.

I think this might only really be important for the action camera, which is what I use most of the time, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to auto-fire with grenades or the mortar kit either way.

There've been numerous discussions about that suggestion, especially in the Engineer subforum. Personally I'm in agreement and wish there was an option to enable auto-attack for the #1 skill such as in the grenade kit. Skills #2 through #5 should remain targeted, but I'd like an option to make skill #1 auto-attack and thrown to foe's location. If it was implemented as an option, then both people who want it and people who don't want it could have it their way.

• 4 weeks later...

> @"NikolaiLev.8492" said:

> Confusing title? Maybe. If you've ever used a grenade or mortar kit, but still want a range indicator (whether fast targeting is off, or on On Release) you've likely found it's incredibly obnoxious, because you must click spam to keep attacking. Instant Cast fixes this, of course, but you are denied your indicators on **all abilities.** I don't like that.

>

> Simple suggestion: either implement as an option, or just make it standard behavior that first slot attacks like grenade throw or mortar fire are always automatic fire. When used with On Release casting, the AoE indicator could still highlight on the ground, but you'd keep firing automatically.

>

> I think this might only really be important for the action camera, which is what I use most of the time, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to auto-fire with grenades or the mortar kit either way.

This is impossible to do because ground-targeted skills need the player to select an area on where to throw the grenades, they don't follow your target. I know it may not be that easy for you to use the Grenade Kit or any other ground-targeted skill, but as someone who's been playing core power engineer for years, here's how I use the Grenade Kit or any other skills that are ground-targeted:

1. Use the 'Look Behind' hotkey.

Many people don't use this, but this is a much better way to turn the camera behind you, rather than turning it manually.

2. Change your keybinds

I use F for the auto attack and C for skill 2. Why, you ask? It's because like you said, it's obnoxious to press the 1 key over and over again to throw grenades and pressing the 2 key requires you to let go of the W key, the key you use for going forward. These are just my keybinds, you can use your own.

A good idea might be to change the #1 skill, into an indirect aoe attacks. Make it a normal attack that you target, that hits enemies nearby the target as well (like a few other skills do), and keep 2-5 aoe targets as they are now.

Was testing out an engie yesterday with mortar kit and noticed how annoying this was again.

> @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> > @"NikolaiLev.8492" said:

> > Confusing title? Maybe. If you've ever used a grenade or mortar kit, but still want a range indicator (whether fast targeting is off, or on On Release) you've likely found it's incredibly obnoxious, because you must click spam to keep attacking. Instant Cast fixes this, of course, but you are denied your indicators on **all abilities.** I don't like that.

> >

> > Simple suggestion: either implement as an option, or just make it standard behavior that first slot attacks like grenade throw or mortar fire are always automatic fire. When used with On Release casting, the AoE indicator could still highlight on the ground, but you'd keep firing automatically.

> >

> > I think this might only really be important for the action camera, which is what I use most of the time, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to auto-fire with grenades or the mortar kit either way.

>

> This is impossible to do because ground-targeted skills need the player to select an area on where to throw the grenades, they don't follow your target. I know it may not be that easy for you to use the Grenade Kit or any other ground-targeted skill, but as someone who's been playing core power engineer for years, here's how I use the Grenade Kit or any other skills that are ground-targeted:

>

> 1. Use the 'Look Behind' hotkey.

>

> Many people don't use this, but this is a much better way to turn the camera behind you, rather than turning it manually.

>

> 2. Change your keybinds

>

> I use F for the auto attack and C for skill 2. Why, you ask? It's because like you said, it's obnoxious to press the 1 key over and over again to throw grenades and pressing the 2 key requires you to let go of the W key, the key you use for going forward. These are just my keybinds, you can use your own.

I don't think it's impossible to do at all. It'd be a new behavior, sure, but it'd just mean the grenades go where you're pointing while the range indicator is up and the attack button is held down.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> A good idea might be to change the #1 skill, into an indirect aoe attacks. Make it a normal attack that you target, that hits enemies nearby the target as well (like a few other skills do), and keep 2-5 aoe targets as they are now.

>

> Was testing out an engie yesterday with mortar kit and noticed how annoying this was again.

Problem with this is it fundamentally changes how the skill works, and makes it much easier to dodge. I don't want to actually change how the skill works, I just want a quality of life improvement.

> @"NikolaiLev.8492" said:

> > @"Hoodie.1045" said:

> > > @"NikolaiLev.8492" said:

> > > Confusing title? Maybe. If you've ever used a grenade or mortar kit, but still want a range indicator (whether fast targeting is off, or on On Release) you've likely found it's incredibly obnoxious, because you must click spam to keep attacking. Instant Cast fixes this, of course, but you are denied your indicators on **all abilities.** I don't like that.

> > >

> > > Simple suggestion: either implement as an option, or just make it standard behavior that first slot attacks like grenade throw or mortar fire are always automatic fire. When used with On Release casting, the AoE indicator could still highlight on the ground, but you'd keep firing automatically.

> > >

> > > I think this might only really be important for the action camera, which is what I use most of the time, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to auto-fire with grenades or the mortar kit either way.

> >

> > This is impossible to do because ground-targeted skills need the player to select an area on where to throw the grenades, they don't follow your target. I know it may not be that easy for you to use the Grenade Kit or any other ground-targeted skill, but as someone who's been playing core power engineer for years, here's how I use the Grenade Kit or any other skills that are ground-targeted:

> >

> > 1. Use the 'Look Behind' hotkey.

> >

> > Many people don't use this, but this is a much better way to turn the camera behind you, rather than turning it manually.

> >

> > 2. Change your keybinds

> >

> > I use F for the auto attack and C for skill 2. Why, you ask? It's because like you said, it's obnoxious to press the 1 key over and over again to throw grenades and pressing the 2 key requires you to let go of the W key, the key you use for going forward. These are just my keybinds, you can use your own.

>

> I don't think it's impossible to do at all. It'd be a new behavior, sure, but it'd just mean the grenades go where you're pointing while the range indicator is up and the attack button is held down.

I was thinking about having this kind of option. Making an instant option with range indicator, meaning that you can just hold the button down or better yet, have a toggle instant option with ranged indicator. That way you can either hold or click the auto attack and the ranged indicator will always be visible, instead of just pressing and letting go of the button like fast with range indicator.