Why do people take Guild reps so seriously

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> >

> > Still dosen't change the fact that I find to be lacking in morality, sincerity or in the spirit of friendship and camaraderie.

>

> You're right. Friendship and camaraderie cannot be enforced, not and remain what they are. What's ironic, though, is that what you're asking for is that someone (it's not clear to me whether you think ANet or guilds themselves should do this) should enforce "friendship" and "camaraderie" by making a rule that they cannot use the rep rule. Pot, meet kettle.

Would be cool if it was against tos since i could see this being an abusive request towards some people, and there is no real point to it, it's just negative.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > >

> > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > >

> > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > >

> > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > >

> > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > >

> > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> >

> > So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

> >

> > Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

>

> So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

> @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > > >

> > > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > > >

> > > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > > >

> > > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > > >

> > > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> > >

> > > So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

> > >

> > > Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

> >

> > So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

>

> So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

> > > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > > > >

> > > > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> > > >

> > > > So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

> > > >

> > > > Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

> > >

> > > So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

> >

> > So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

>

> Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

Erm, so unless it give you a unfair advantage, it isn't consider malicious? So repping give you unfair advantage? O.O? Is that what you saying?

Or are you claiming one is not malicious because of the typical "I say so"?

By not repping a guild, one is subconsciously recognizing the guild as not an organisation or even an existence. You need an organisation (regardless big or small, permanent or temporary, structured or unstructured) to organise event, build certain things, blah blah. That action alone is denying the existence of a guild, so is not harmful? What do you think would happen to such a "guild"?

Existence is very important, whole rep thing fundamentally come to this point, really. How important is a guild existence to you?

> > > > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> > > > >

> > > > > So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

> > > > >

> > > > > Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

> > > >

> > > > So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

> > >

> > > So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

> >

> > Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

>

> Erm, so unless it give you a unfair advantage, it isn't consider malicious? So repping give you unfair advantage? O.O? Is that what you saying?

> Or are you claiming one is not malicious because of the typical "I say so"?

>

> By not repping a guild, one is subconsciously recognizing the guild as not an organisation or even an existence. You need an organisation (regardless big or small, permanent or temporary, structured or unstructured) to organise event, build certain things, blah blah. That action alone is denying the existence of a guild, so is not harmful? What do you think would happen to such a "guild"?

>

> Existence is very important, whole rep thing fundamentally come to this point, really. How important is a guild existence to you?

guilds existing is not important to me at all. we should all not represent any guilds and come together to hold hands as one. Thanks for showing me what you were trying to say, i understand now.

Natural selection will take effect here.

If the WvW guild is strong enough, 100% rep requirement won't be a problem for them. Any guild that doesn't have the strength/ability to justify it will just crash and burn, people would just leave to greener pastures.

As for rep requirements in general. I believe it shouldn't be a requirement for members, but if the Guild officers or commanders never rep I'd be getting nervous.

Each guild will have it's own rules and you need to find out what they are. It's silly, but some PvE guilds do have rep requirements.

In my guild I really don't care if people rep or not, and I expect my officers to help anyone who needs it- whether the member is repping or not. But, we ask people to rep if they consider it their main guild and have created a rank accordingly. Giving them extra privileges (start guild missions, claim objectives, decorate the Guild hall and other things that benefit the Guild and themselves).

If these people, who agreed to rep & call the Guild 'home', started not reping at all I'd want to know why.

> @"Reitha.4810" said:

> Natural selection will take effect here.

> If the WvW guild is strong enough, 100% rep requirement won't be a problem for them. Any guild that doesn't have the strength/ability to justify it will just crash and burn, people would just leave to greener pastures.

>

> As for rep requirements in general. I believe it shouldn't be a requirement for members, but if the Guild officers or commanders never rep I'd be getting nervous.

>

> Each guild will have it's own rules and you need to find out what they are. It's silly, but some PvE guilds do have rep requirements.

>

> In my guild I really don't care if people rep or not, and I expect my officers to help anyone who needs it- whether the member is repping or not. But, we ask people to rep if they consider it their main guild and have created a rank accordingly. Giving them extra privileges (start guild missions, claim objectives, decorate the Guild hall and other things that benefit the Guild and themselves).

> If these people, who agreed to rep & call the Guild 'home', started not reping at all I'd want to know why.

>

That's pretty contradictory .

If you don't care about people rep or not...

* You won't ask people to rep

* You won't be creating a rank for people that rep

* You won't be bothered if people suddenly stop repping

In other words, you do care if people rep or not.

> > > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

> > > > >

> > > > > So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

> > > >

> > > > So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

> > >

> > > Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

> >

> > Erm, so unless it give you a unfair advantage, it isn't consider malicious? So repping give you unfair advantage? O.O? Is that what you saying?

> > Or are you claiming one is not malicious because of the typical "I say so"?

> >

> > By not repping a guild, one is subconsciously recognizing the guild as not an organisation or even an existence. You need an organisation (regardless big or small, permanent or temporary, structured or unstructured) to organise event, build certain things, blah blah. That action alone is denying the existence of a guild, so is not harmful? What do you think would happen to such a "guild"?

> >

> > Existence is very important, whole rep thing fundamentally come to this point, really. How important is a guild existence to you?

>

> guilds existing is not important to me at all. we should all not represent any guilds and come together to hold hands as one. Thanks for showing me what you were trying to say, i understand now.

Thanks for the honesty. It is way better than many other posts in this post.

Many are self evident. They joined guilds for benefits yet try hard to impose a social image they are not doing so, not sure why people cares much about social image on pseudonymous accounts. People claim rep is bad yet hypocritically, some are part of guilds that have rep standard. People claim rep is bad yet hypocritically some run guild that have rep expectation. People claim they don't care about rep yet hypocritically, some care enough to care about if others demand rep or not. These contradictory behaviors are what triggering me, I dislike false impressions that will print false reality which will mislead the innocent minded people.

@"SkyShroud.2865" It's simple: People should want to rep a guild because they love the people, community, and/or friendships involved. They should not be _forced_ to do anything due to some strong-armed ideal that one must because it's demanded from said guild. Volunteering to do something is always more beneficial to an organization than forcing any community into doing something it otherwise would not do for whatever reason.

The truth is an organization must give some kind of benefit to its members if that organization wants to continue to survive. If the hardships outweigh the benefits, no amount of strong-arming or demands will keep said organization alive. It falls on leadership to entice current and future members . . . not beat them over the head with a stick to reach its goals.

The difference is what makes some guilds great and others go into the position this thread discusses.

> No but imagine if the club required you to carry your instrument with you 24/7 even at home, seems a little unreasonable to me. Why make restrictions like that.

No one has restrictions like that. Its not physically possible to have such restrictions.

>I mean how you can you even play wvw or spvp and maybe join a guild oriented for those game modes, oh wait you can't,

Of course one can join guilds for WvW or SPvP. It is not physically possible to prevent one from joining different guilds if one chooses to do so (unless of course there are no such guilds recruiting).

>you have to rep that one guild,

No you don't. This is a completely false statement.

>even though we have slots for 5 separate guilds. Likewise what if you're eating dinner at home, oh sorry better put that instrument on and rep you're band class even though it's an unrelated activity. And remember, it's all because they say so.

Every activity in this one game is related because, you see, they are all in this one game. All covered by the same price of admission. Even so, no one has to rep a guild if they do not wish. Not being in a guild that asks for any percentage of representation is pretty darned easy.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> @"SkyShroud.2865" It's simple: People should want to rep a guild because they love the people, community, and/or friendships involved. They should not be _forced_ to do anything due to some strong-armed ideal that one must because it's demanded from said guild. Volunteering to do something is always more beneficial to an organization than forcing any community into doing something it otherwise would not do for whatever reason.

>

> The truth is an organization must give some kind of benefit to its members if that organization wants to continue to survive. If the hardships outweigh the benefits, no amount of strong-arming or demands will keep said organization alive. It falls on leadership to entice current and future members . . . not beat them over the head with a stick to reach its goals.

>

> The difference is what makes some guilds great and others go into the position this thread discusses.

>

>

If the guilds in question did not offer benefits to its members then they wouldn't be complaining that there are representation requirements of one degree or another. They would just leave.

Instead what we have is people who want to be in the guild, which means that it must be offering something that makes them want to be members, but want everyone else in the guild to have to change their social preferences to accommodate them.

I don't join dungeon speedrun groups unless I am interested in a speedrun. I don't join raid squads when I want to engage in light RP. I don't join RP groups when I am in the mood for a dungeon speedrun. Why do people join rep required guilds if they are not interested in repping the guild?

The basic idea that one person is the center of the universe and that everyone else should be required to forgo what they want in order to cater to, kowtow to, that one player is so very toxic as to be beyond belief.

Remember that this thread started with someone complaining that they did not want to make a certain guild a priority, were not willing to rep it even when they wanted help from that guild's members, and that it was wrong somehow for members of that guild to give priority, when offering help, to those willing to make the guild a priority when they needed help.

> @"SkyShroud.2865" It's simple: People should want to rep a guild because they love the people, community, and/or friendships involved. They should not be _forced_ to do anything due to some strong-armed ideal that one must because it's demanded from said guild. Volunteering to do something is always more beneficial to an organization than forcing any community into doing something it otherwise would not do for whatever reason.

>

> The truth is an organization must give some kind of benefit to its members if that organization wants to continue to survive. If the hardships outweigh the benefits, no amount of strong-arming or demands will keep said organization alive. It falls on leadership to entice current and future members . . . not beat them over the head with a stick to reach its goals.

>

> The difference is what makes some guilds great and others go into the position this thread discusses.

>

>

The biggest proposition is organization. Organisation is made up by people, there must be a group of people willing to give first to provide that benefits therefore there is hardships for these group of people. Someone must give before you can take. It is the only logical setup. Yet, people are conveniently skipping this logical setup where you need people to give first before taking exist.

I am surely you can acknowledge there are many people in the game only take and not give. Many requirements are built to combat against these group of people. We don't live in the perfect world where everybody shares. That is reality.

People also do get kicked for whatever reasons, so is kicking as bad as repping? There are the same thing to me. It existed for the benefits of the guild.

When guilds start to ask for rep, regardless of when or why (be it events or whatever), despite all the claims they have no rep policy, it is still a rep expectation. To date, I have yet see any guild that made it out alright without a single rep expectation. And please spare me the guild made of friends, I am talking about literally made from scratch of just one person.

Some philosophy is just unrealistic.

And I say those guilds who want to be repped should incentive their members to want to do so. Again, that falls on leadership. As far as joining? I can't answer for other people, but I can tell you I get random guild invites all the time. So, yes, it falls on the members to know what they're joining, but it still falls on leadership to know who they're asking to join.

> And I say those guilds who want to be repped should incentive their members to want to do so. Again, that falls on leadership. As far as joining? I can't answer for other people, but I can tell you I get random guild invites all the time. So, yes, it falls on the members to know what they're joining, but it still falls on leadership to know who they're asking to join.

You know, that is a sophistry reply that just reiterate what you already said.

> @"skyshooter.6543" In this thread, I've made four responses not including this one. You've made thirteen. Are you sure you want to go down the route of who is saying what repeatedly or deceptively?

Typing my id wrong and in a sarcastic manner, now you getting personal?

If I made a response to a person, I quote them, literally. This means that my respond is made specifically to that person, which most likely that person didn't read the comments made before their's.

Here, you made a post of no quote but there is "And I say those" at the beginning of the post. Pretty sure it is reference to either mine or Ashen.2907's post. In that same post, pretty much none of that are new to the one you post right before that, just phrased differently which means if I do have to make a response to that post, I end up having to repost what I already responded to you previously.

@"Icemanfrost.5428" (laugh) Rep whomever you want. Keep in mind, the game is supposed to be fun for you. When a guild pays for your gems and account items, then they can tell you what to do . . . maybe. Otherwise, do what makes you happy. And never let someone else tell you otherwise. Remember . . . it's still just a game. :)

Best of luck.

> @"Icemanfrost.5428" (laugh) Rep whomever you want. Keep in mind, the game is supposed to be fun for you. When a guild pays for your gems and account items, then they can tell you what to do . . . maybe. Otherwise, do what makes you happy. And never let someone else tell you otherwise. Remember . . . it's still just a game. :)

>

> Best of luck.

guilds pay for my account items?

> > > > > @"SkyShroud.2865" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > > > > I don't understand why people have to enforce rules on other people of any kind. Why can't we just let people do what they want, why does everything we want to do have others rules and restrictions endlessly imposed upon us. You would think they would run a guild based on its merit, that their members would want to represent it simply because they like to, not because they are told too - or else.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > How does your idea hold up when what people want to do is have a guild where representation is required for some portion of members' play time?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > They should just not want to have that idea, since its in direct odds with how other people might want to play, namely not having to rep guilds.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So you are suggesting that people should not be able to do what they want to do.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Those other people are quite capable of playing without repping a guild so taking away the ability to ask for or require repping doesnt help them, it just hurts the people who want to be a part of a guild that calls for repping.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Its the equivalent of asking that no one be allowed to dye their armor yellow because you dont want to wear that color.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > All i'm saying is that if the community in the guild is so nice you would think that people would want to rep it and not have to be warned or told that they need to rep it. Obviously if people aren't repping a guild and then are being told to, that's not a very friendly environment, and im questioning why anyone would like that and why people think its reasonable that guilds even ask players to do that in the first place. I understand that they can, and then in turn people can choose to leave that guild, but its still ridiculous that guilds have the audacity to even impose that on people in the first place.

> > > > >

> > > > > So, base on your logic, if gw2 is so nice, people wouldn't cheat and not have to be warned or told they can't cheat....

> > > > >

> > > > > Obviously you don't think the same can be apply to gw2 as a whole, that's quite a double standard thinking.

> > > >

> > > > So not repping a guild is akin to malicious behavior like cheating? And players not repping a guild need to be reined in otherwise they are malicious? This makes no sense.

> > >

> > > So you can see cheating as malicious, a behavior that cause harm to others. In that case, why isn't not repping a guild not considered as behavior that harm the guild?

> >

> > Because not repping a guild isn't malicious and doesn't give you an unfair advantage, like cheating does.

>

> Erm, so unless it give you a unfair advantage, it isn't consider malicious? So repping give you unfair advantage? O.O? Is that what you saying?

> Or are you claiming one is not malicious because of the typical "I say so"?

>

> By not repping a guild, one is subconsciously recognizing the guild as not an organisation or even an existence. You need an organisation (regardless big or small, permanent or temporary, structured or unstructured) to organise event, build certain things, blah blah. That action alone is denying the existence of a guild, so is not harmful? What do you think would happen to such a "guild"?

>

> Existence is very important, whole rep thing fundamentally come to this point, really. How important is a guild existence to you?

Bit of bad logic though. You need to acknowledge a guilds existence before you can "not-rep" it as it were. The players are already a step further by joining a guild they aren't going to rep, for whatever reason. Ofcourse, at a basis, someone needs to keep organizing things so that people keep coming back. It just means repping is not automatically necessary for a guild existence. There have been non-repping guilds purely for organisational purposes before. So what you're saying really doesn't hit all the bases.

> @"Turin.6921" said:

> It used to be important for the guild to be repped back in the day. But not anymore. There is no practical reason for anymore but...

>

> Some guilds still cling to the old philosophy of doing things even though the practical reasons are not present any more.

>

> More importantly though there are big social reasons why a guild would reasonably want to be repped by you.

> - Having the same tag breeds comradely and helps the guild be more than just a chat room. It is not sufficient alone but helps as long as the guild in general does a lot of things that keeps it community active.

> - WvW guilds or raids guilds also makes sense to want repping as a matter of pride and competition when playing the game. WvW guild for example want to be seen by their opponents and help create a banter-friendly, competing environment. The same way in sports everything feels more official and important if the team wears their colors instead of their casual track suits.

> - When streaming guild activities for example people want to communicate the skill and discipline of their guilds thus a unified tag can be important. It is a great way to advertise their community and attract even more people to their community. I have seen many judging this as a popularity contest. And although sometimes it is, it is not always the case. That is like saying that sports team or associations or RL communities are being superficial for wearing their uniforms.

>

> It is definitely unreasonable to exaggerate with the repping (especially in more casual PvX guilds) but it is also not unreasonable to demand it at times.

If doing some guild activity it might be logical (although not advantageous) to have people repping the guild. I can not see why people would make it a requirement though, they should want to do it. For example, if I am doing the pride march I would make my tag LGBT if I notice it is set to something else but can think of no good reason why people should *have* to do so.

If I am randomly wandering on my own through PVE stuff why in the world should any of my guilds care if I am repping them or not?