A path that I feel the personal story always lacked

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > Well, it'd be odd to allow the player to choose the losing side. If you chose Zhaitan, you'd have effectively lost at launch. If you chose Mordremoth you'd have lost when HoT launched. The pact wins. Your side loses.

> > >

> > > Choosing to be on the "bad guy" side is really only possible in single player games and even then your "bad guy" character usually follows the same basic path as the "good guy."

> >

> > Heh ... so the same illusion of choice.

> >

> > Until technology becomes much better choice in a game will remain an illusion.

> >

> > They other problem with "the other side" is that so far all the minions are under absolute control by their respective masters. The only possible partial exception is probably only kept around for his creator's amusement.

>

> Exactly! Another problem would be the restriction of movement and play you'd experience: how welcome does anyone think a risen minion would be in Divinity's Reach or the Black Citadel? If you want a realistic "bad guy" experience your character would be attacked by just about every single NPC in the game.

>

> It's not like your risen minion would be welcome amongst the Svanir or the minions of Mordremoth either, so I hope you enjoy Orr.

>

> Oh and good luck getting your stuff from the TP or bank. :)

>

None of the hearts and most events and dungeons would make any sense either ...

> @"Lazeris.1725" said:

> World of Warcraft had a sub-plot in the last expansion involving one of their classes the Death Knight ( a bad guy themed class). Without belaboring the point the DK got to do several VERY clearly objectively evil things, including: Raising long and recently dead heroes from the story to serve as powerful undead knights, Attacking the main good guy church looking for more bodies to raise, Killing off a bunch of good aligned dragons (red dragonflight) looking for information related to a mount the DK was told to acquire.

>

> Now I bring this up because the entire time the character is told how evil they are being, but that the ends will ultimately justify the means - This does not sit well with most or all relevant characters in the story and again you character gets called out on their nefarious methods frequently. However it doesn't change the overall plot of the story......your methods while questionable do ultimately help resolve the plot for the forces of order.

>

> I think that is a good distinction to make and would be nice to see from gw2 - that while we can all work towards order rather than chaos - order isn't necessarily nice (for example Joko). It would be really cool to see if A-net could work that sort of choice into a story - while it doesn't change the end result of the story ultimately - it does add a new layer of customization....if only slightly (Really you'd just be getting a few lines of different dialogue, I don't expect "branching" story paths or anything....just a few quips from the party about how mean or evil you are)

This is a good point. Those morally ambiguous, and sometimes downright evil, actions Death Knights take in their starting area and in Legion are some of my favorite quest chains in the entirety of WoW. Yes, we're doing evil things and (in some cases) siding with The Baddies, but our story also has us redeem ourselves and end up doing the heroic actions that go with the main chunk of the overall story.