Playing with the soulbeast is boring and underwhelming.

anduriell.6280

> @jokobet.6081 said:

> In conclusion, at least from a PvE perspective, soulbeast sounds amazing and few but is effectively just a ranger 2.0; however, people had a glimpse of what could have been if damage coefficients were reworked for power weapons. We won't be the reapers of PoF, I guess, but it also won't be as exciting as it could have benn.

+1k

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Djuls.4586 said:

> > @anduriell.6280 said:

> > In my experience playing with soulbeast is like choosing to play in hard mode without sustain or output damage to rely on.

>

> I don't totally agree with that.

> Actually, condi SB have decent damage with Dagger-Torch / Shortbow.

> You have some sustain when you poison your foe, not excellent for sure, but that's something.

> And i really like the bear stance, removing a lot of conditions to you, with a short cd.

>

> For me, soulbeast is just not interresting, compare to all others class (like holosmith, mirage, etc).

> It's just an upgrade, not a new way to play your profession.

>

> Sorry for my bad english ^^

thats great, i actually theorycrafted a d/t/sb build and I was wondering if it would be viable. it seemed great on paper and I've been really looking forward to revisiting the condi ranger. which amulet are people using, rabid?

re: OP topic, I actually really enjoyed the SB when I tested it. it's super versatile and does way more damage than any druid build. mind you, at the price of less sustain and mobility. hope they fix the bugs soon. it will probably happen with the first balance pass in the coming weeks. but overall, im stoked to play the SB instead of facerolling on my Mender's druid (not a build for men imo).

I also look forward to when all the whining dies down and people start to ACTUALLY test and play with the SB. then we can move to more productive discussions about builds. this exact same thing happened when the druid released (whining and crying), mostly from the same people to whom I pay very little attention now.

I started this game as a Ranger main playing it all throughout the story and PvP. And I've been playing d/d + longbow Soulbeast since launch. My pet of choice is the Smokescale .

I find d/d to be kind of weak but really good mobility when combined with Smokescale. The F2 has decent range and lets you kinda shadowstep to enemies. So that's pretty fun. It feels pretty fun in PvE to be jumping around from enemy to enemy. I'd probably do more damage with the pet out but whatever, I like having those few skills. And if theres a ton of enemies or a big boss or something I swap to longbow + bristleback and do a ton of damage that way.

I think Soulbeast has a few but very prominent issues though, as much as I love the spec.

1) Soulbeast F1 skills as well as dagger skills are extremely weak. From what I can tell, Soulbeast is supposed to deviate from that support druid style completely so it should be able to put out a lot more damage.

2) Probably unavoidable at this point but, pet skills are very generic across archtypes. They would either need to make a few more unique pets like the Smokescale/Jacarnda, or mess around with the other pets to make them less repetitive.

3) Since the beastmode skills are so terribly weak, and the fact that you lose the pets unique skill, theres not much incentive to go into beastmode unless you really like the merged skillset. Or if your pet is annoying you. You just get a flat stat bonus and 3 super weak skills.

I'm really enjoying soulbeast right now but its pretty weak.

> @mistsim.2748 said:

> > @Djuls.4586 said:

> > > @anduriell.6280 said:

> > > In my experience playing with soulbeast is like choosing to play in hard mode without sustain or output damage to rely on.

> >

> > I don't totally agree with that.

> > Actually, condi SB have decent damage with Dagger-Torch / Shortbow.

> > You have some sustain when you poison your foe, not excellent for sure, but that's something.

> > And i really like the bear stance, removing a lot of conditions to you, with a short cd.

> >

> > For me, soulbeast is just not interresting, compare to all others class (like holosmith, mirage, etc).

> > It's just an upgrade, not a new way to play your profession.

> >

> > Sorry for my bad english ^^

>

> thats great, i actually theorycrafted a d/t/sb build and I was wondering if it would be viable. it seemed great on paper and I've been really looking forward to revisiting the condi ranger. which amulet are people using, rabid?

>

> re: OP topic, I actually really enjoyed the SB when I tested it. it's super versatile and does way more damage than any druid build. mind you, at the price of less sustain and mobility. hope they fix the bugs soon. it will probably happen with the first balance pass in the coming weeks. but overall, im stoked to play the SB instead of facerolling on my Mender's druid (not a build for men imo).

>

> I also look forward to when all the whining dies down and people start to ACTUALLY test and play with the SB. then we can move to more productive discussions about builds. this exact same thing happened when the druid released (whining and crying), mostly from the same people to whom I pay very little attention now.

Druid was beyond unusable at HoT launch too. Celestial Force worked like adrenaline and you couldn't generate it quick enough to use it in a realistic length engagement.

We NEED people providing objective feedback, even if some people don't like the feedback being provided by others.

For instance; I ignore Druid as a baseline comparison. Personally, I can't justify running Soulbeast over core Ranger. You give up so much synergy and utility for what really just boils down to some passive damage buffs and an extra usuable skill or two.

What do I need to even consider Soulbeast as playable?

* I need boons to be copied back to the pet when I leave Beastmode. In general, I need more traits that add functionality to leaving Beastmode, because as it stands it's just an extra button to press, especially with no QoL F4 button press to unmeld and swap into the next pet automatically.

* I need the Master traits that aren't the poison based one reworked to offer more direct synergy with the functions added with the Soulbeast elite spec.

* I need the GMs that aren't stance related to be reworked entirely so they aren't just ultra passive and/or incredibly situational, or at least for the damage bonus; moved to make room for an actual GM value trait.

* And I absolutely need some offensive Stability for entering Soulbeast because any idiot with half a brain counterplays the spec immediately by just CC spamming you when you meld.

Until then, I'll be playing core Ranger for damage builds, because it's awesome now since the last balance update.

And to be fair, I don't think most of the elite specs are competing with their other class options anytime soon. Firebrand, Spellbreaker, and Scourge are the only notable elite specs at this point.

> @jcbroe.4329 said:

> What do I need to even consider Soulbeast as playable?

> * I need boons to be copied back to the pet when I leave Beastmode. In general, I need more traits that add functionality to leaving Beastmode, because as it stands it's just an extra button to press, especially with no QoL F4 button press to unmeld and swap into the next pet automatically.

> * I need the Master traits that aren't the poison based one reworked to offer more direct synergy with the functions added with the Soulbeast elite spec.

> * I need the GMs that aren't stance related to be reworked entirely so they aren't just ultra passive and/or incredibly situational, or at least for the damage bonus; moved to make room for an actual GM value trait.

> * And I absolutely need some offensive Stability for entering Soulbeast because any idiot with half a brain counterplays the spec immediately by just CC spamming you when you meld.

>

What are you talking about?

-BM is instant, what CC are you on about?

-The master traits are fine as they are

-The GM and elite may need some change/buffs I agree totally

-Yes I agree having the boons copied on the pet after exit BM

There is plenty of benefits of going BM with few pets yes, but the benefits are there...**no way in hell a core ranger can fight a soulbeast**

> @Arheundel.6451 said:

> > @jcbroe.4329 said:

>

> > What do I need to even consider Soulbeast as playable?

> > * I need boons to be copied back to the pet when I leave Beastmode. In general, I need more traits that add functionality to leaving Beastmode, because as it stands it's just an extra button to press, especially with no QoL F4 button press to unmeld and swap into the next pet automatically.

> > * I need the Master traits that aren't the poison based one reworked to offer more direct synergy with the functions added with the Soulbeast elite spec.

> > * I need the GMs that aren't stance related to be reworked entirely so they aren't just ultra passive and/or incredibly situational, or at least for the damage bonus; moved to make room for an actual GM value trait.

> > * And I absolutely need some offensive Stability for entering Soulbeast because any idiot with half a brain counterplays the spec immediately by just CC spamming you when you meld.

> >

>

> What are you talking about?

> -BM is instant, what CC are you on about?

> -The master traits are fine as they are

> -The GM and elite may need some change/buffs I agree totally

> -Yes I agree having the boons copied on the pet after exit BM

>

> There is plenty of benefits of going BM with few pets yes, but the benefits are there...**no way in kitten a core ranger can fight a soulbeast**

>

>

Let me clarify the main problem I faced repeatedly when I was playing Soulbeast, especially up against Chaithh and Phantaram (name-drops don't matter, just anybody generally paying attention to combat, their duo is just particularly annoying).

-I want to use my Beastmode, so I meld and try to use a skill.

-Immediately stun'd/dazed/knocked back/etc

-Stunbreak and go for it again

-Stunned Again

-rinse and repeat until I want a condi cleansed with SoR or the pet AI CC as counterpressure or etc.

It isn't that there isn't eventually a moment where I can get a skill off, and a lot of it is the state of CC availability in the game. But trying to use some of these abilities (Worldly Impact, Jacaranda skills) in a live environment boiled down to "how much patience do I have to try to use skills and have them not able to be used repeatedly."

With the Master traits, it just isn't good design. We have a Master trait that adds extra benefit to protection on an elite spec whose only protection sources are 3 secs on Moa Stance anx whatever Eternal Bond provides if you happen to proc it. With the Quickness trait, we have a way to extend boons on a spec in which you can really only get boons from facerolling the stances. No, I'm not denying the interaction between existing traitlines and the Master traits.

But the design problem is that they don't boost the spec that they were introduced with directly in any meaningful way.

Simple additions/redesigns would be great. Spitballing, just adding "gain protection when you activate a stance" to the protection trait and "gain might when you gain quickness" or something like "deal 5% more damage when affected by quickness. This benefit is doubled when melded." Just examples of course.

I'm not looking for things that I think would be considered even all that powerful. Just some more interactivity and QoL for the introduced mechanic, weapon and utilities with the traits.

> @shadowpass.4236 said:

> > @Earix.5684 said:

> > > @jcbroe.4329 said:

> > > What's bothering me more than anything is mostly just the lack of objective opinions across multiple gamemodes.

> > >

> > > Yeah, Soulbeast was destined to be a condi Ranger upgrade in PvE. It's a condi autoattack weapon we previously didn't have with passive damage boosting traits.

> > >

> > > That doesn't make it a good spec though, that just makes the weapon good in 1/3 modes and some of the traits good in 1/3 mode

> >

> > Were you really expecting something which would perform better than Druid in sPvP or WvW? oO

> >

>

> I don't think anyone was expecting Soulbeast to perform _better_ than Druid. What we were expecting was an elite spec that could at least function properly and keep up with other classes. During the demo weekend, I could tell instantly within 10 minutes playing it, that what we were going to receive in the final release of PoF was going to be terrible in PvP/WvW. From the looks of it, I was right. Judging from every experienced ranger I've talked to and heard the feedback from, the general consensus is also the same... **Soulbeast. is. bad.**

Well my experience is different. I don't know if I fall into your definition of experienced ranger (I'll go with your appeal to authority fallacy for now) but it's been my main since beta.

Before PoF release, I was winning probably 50% of my 1 vs 1 fights in WvW. Partly, it was a challenge on a core power ranger in a condi meta, and I have satellite internet so my latency is terrible. But since PoF release, I have yet to lose a 1 vs 1. I have not lost a fight yet, at all.

Nothing has changed other than Soulbeast.

I'm laying a power spec, LB and Sword, WH combo. Exactly the spec everyone says should be so terrible.

My finding so far is Soulbeast is a blast to play, and borderline OP in wvw, depending on what you're trying to do. I think I might make a zerg build next, focusing on support etc and see how that works.

> @Norseman.4280 said:

> > @shadowpass.4236 said:

> > > @Earix.5684 said:

> > > > @jcbroe.4329 said:

> > > > What's bothering me more than anything is mostly just the lack of objective opinions across multiple gamemodes.

> > > >

> > > > Yeah, Soulbeast was destined to be a condi Ranger upgrade in PvE. It's a condi autoattack weapon we previously didn't have with passive damage boosting traits.

> > > >

> > > > That doesn't make it a good spec though, that just makes the weapon good in 1/3 modes and some of the traits good in 1/3 mode

> > >

> > > Were you really expecting something which would perform better than Druid in sPvP or WvW? oO

> > >

> >

> > I don't think anyone was expecting Soulbeast to perform _better_ than Druid. What we were expecting was an elite spec that could at least function properly and keep up with other classes. During the demo weekend, I could tell instantly within 10 minutes playing it, that what we were going to receive in the final release of PoF was going to be terrible in PvP/WvW. From the looks of it, I was right. Judging from every experienced ranger I've talked to and heard the feedback from, the general consensus is also the same... **Soulbeast. is. bad.**

>

> Well my experience is different. I don't know if I fall into your definition of experienced ranger (I'll go with your appeal to authority fallacy for now) but it's been my main since beta.

>

> Before PoF release, I was winning probably 50% of my 1 vs 1 fights in WvW. Partly, it was a challenge on a core power ranger in a condi meta, and I have satellite internet so my latency is terrible. But since PoF release, I have yet to lose a 1 vs 1. I have not lost a fight yet, at all.

> Nothing has changed other than Soulbeast.

> I'm laying a power spec, LB and Sword, WH combo. Exactly the spec everyone says should be so terrible.

>

> My finding so far is Soulbeast is a blast to play, and borderline OP in wvw, depending on what you're trying to do. I think I might make a zerg build next, focusing on support etc and see how that works.

>

>

Haha I don't have a set definition for the term "experienced ranger." These are just guys that I know personally that have played ranger at a high level for a long time. Not sure what you mean with the whole "authority fallacy" thing, but I've been around the block a few times on ranger lol

Top 10 sPvP leaderboard, several legend titles (during the seasons I've played), ranger main since release, one of the guild leaders for the largest all ranger guild in the game, played on top GvG guilds with ranger, etc. etc. etc.

I flat out don't lose on ranger. There's occasionally a rare loss here and there, but those are to the best players in their respective classes. I'd say I win 100% of my fights the majority of the time. Honestly, at this point, I personally consider myself an authority on ranger (modesty aside lol)... but to each their own.

The fact of the matter is, Soulbeast is unable to perform at the highest levels of play currently. It offers almost 0 survivability and a minor dps increase coupled with crappy utilities and a sucky weapon. Not to mention its full of bugs and the AI from the pets we received in PoF have gone down significantly in performance compared to the ones released with HoT. Druid outperforms Soulbeast. Core outperforms Druid. Idk what else to say man

> @shadowpass.4236 said:

> > @Norseman.4280 said:

> > > @shadowpass.4236 said:

> > > > @Earix.5684 said:

> > > > > @jcbroe.4329 said:

> > > > > What's bothering me more than anything is mostly just the lack of objective opinions across multiple gamemodes.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yeah, Soulbeast was destined to be a condi Ranger upgrade in PvE. It's a condi autoattack weapon we previously didn't have with passive damage boosting traits.

> > > > >

> > > > > That doesn't make it a good spec though, that just makes the weapon good in 1/3 modes and some of the traits good in 1/3 mode

> > > >

> > > > Were you really expecting something which would perform better than Druid in sPvP or WvW? oO

> > > >

> > >

> > > I don't think anyone was expecting Soulbeast to perform _better_ than Druid. What we were expecting was an elite spec that could at least function properly and keep up with other classes. During the demo weekend, I could tell instantly within 10 minutes playing it, that what we were going to receive in the final release of PoF was going to be terrible in PvP/WvW. From the looks of it, I was right. Judging from every experienced ranger I've talked to and heard the feedback from, the general consensus is also the same... **Soulbeast. is. bad.**

> >

> > Well my experience is different. I don't know if I fall into your definition of experienced ranger (I'll go with your appeal to authority fallacy for now) but it's been my main since beta.

> >

> > Before PoF release, I was winning probably 50% of my 1 vs 1 fights in WvW. Partly, it was a challenge on a core power ranger in a condi meta, and I have satellite internet so my latency is terrible. But since PoF release, I have yet to lose a 1 vs 1. I have not lost a fight yet, at all.

> > Nothing has changed other than Soulbeast.

> > I'm laying a power spec, LB and Sword, WH combo. Exactly the spec everyone says should be so terrible.

> >

> > My finding so far is Soulbeast is a blast to play, and borderline OP in wvw, depending on what you're trying to do. I think I might make a zerg build next, focusing on support etc and see how that works.

> >

> >

>

> Haha I don't have a set definition for the term "experienced ranger." These are just guys that I know personally that have played ranger at a high level for a long time. Not sure what you mean with the whole "authority fallacy" thing, but I've been around the block a few times on ranger lol

>

> Top 10 sPvP leaderboard, several legend titles (during the seasons I've played), ranger main since release, one of the guild leaders for the largest all ranger guild in the game, played on top GvG guilds with ranger, etc. etc. etc.

>

> I flat out don't lose on ranger. There's occasionally a rare loss here and there, but those are to the best players in their respective classes. I'd say I win 100% of my fights the majority of the time. Honestly, at this point, I personally consider myself an authority on ranger (modesty aside lol)... but to each their own.

>

> The fact of the matter is, Soulbeast is unable to perform at the highest levels of play currently. It offers almost 0 survivability and a minor dps increase coupled with crappy utilities and a sucky weapon. Not to mention its full of bugs and the AI from the pets we received in PoF have gone down significantly in performance compared to the ones released with HoT. Druid outperforms Soulbeast. Core outperforms Druid. Idk what else to say man

Just commenting to say that I both agree with and echo these sentiments (meaning that I'm expressing them for myself as well).

the soulbeast is cool and fun but kinda weirdly lackluster.

First damage should be increased.

Secondly and Most Bizarrely

The dagger. I mean its the main weapon of the soulbeast a class that merges with their animal companion YET its the only mainhand that lacks animal style skills. Its just slash slash slash slash. Where is the animal spirits imbued into the weapon.

Lastly

the stances are cool and they do stuff...but they like don't do stuff.

Like the stances are useful in nuances situations but they are not super fun.. but I do like sharing them.

great I'm getting might! but also could I like send out vultures or something to peck at my prey.

I'm running a power Axe/WH Greatsword build with runes of rage and having a blast. Such a different playstyle from my longbow/staff glyph druid. I really like keeping the pet out most of the time for giving mobs something to chase around, but when they get close just spam all the pet skills. I haven't tried any other classes yet in POF so I can't compare, but I like Soulbeast so far.

Condi Soulbeast will end up in the PvE meta, nothings overtuned and waiting for a nerf so where firebrand or weaver might get tuned down a bit soulbeasts 37-40k dps should be safe. I was really, really hoping for good power dps traits as well but that didn't really happen.

I stopped PvP'ng after i got my wings so no opinion there but as far as WvW goes I find it completely underwhelming. Stances are hard to take over things like SoS or SoR, the elite is a hard sell over the other elite skills and the same goes for the heal stance. Soulbeast is seriously lacking in cleanses and when in beastmode we lost the little bit of a reduction we got from EB. Condi spam seems to be the way of the game for now but we, as in all professions, need some counterplay to this. right now WvW is all about spamming as many conditions as possible and you die way before your incremental cleanse stance can get it off.

I was really excited for soulbeast too, and it's not that it's bad it's just more of the same. I've been playing condi ranger or druid healer for what feels like forever.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm enjoying it. I like that I can play a condi or power build with the trait line equally effectively if I build accordingly. One complaint I've seen is that you can't stay in soulbeast mode and, in my opinion, that's a good thing. I enjoy switching in and out for the benefits of each pet.

My only real complaint atm is the range on some abilities, but this is a common complaint among different PoF specializations for me. I feel like a lot of abilities have small a small range or radius for no real reason. A good example is the pull when you enter soulbeast.

> @jcbroe.4329 said:

> What's bothering me more than anything is mostly just the lack of objective opinions across multiple gamemodes.

>

> Yeah, Soulbeast was destined to be a condi Ranger upgrade in PvE. It's a condi autoattack weapon we previously didn't have with passive damage boosting traits.

>

> That doesn't make it a good spec though, that just makes the weapon good in 1/3 modes and some of the traits good in 1/3 modes.

>

> What about the mechanic? What about the other game modes? What about the other traits?

>

> Personally, I found Soulbeast unusable in legend/plat queues in PvP. You sacrifice all of your defensive utility for just 1 usable skill and 2 subpar skills (which is the case on the vast majority of the pets, especially the ones you'd want to use outside of Beastmode).

>

> Sure, you're a glass cannon, okay. But every other class including glass core ranger and glass Druid outperform Soulbeast at that role.

>

> In WvW, yes, you can stance share and yes, it's fantastic for group play. But. You don't bring anything that a Guardian/Firebrand can't do better in that party slot when it comes to organized play, and when groups start optimizing Soulbeast will not suddenly become a requested WvW party/squad class.

>

> I'm glad people are enjoying that they can get better DPS numbers on PvE sponge golems, I really am. But that one aspect is not enough to redeem what that spec fails to offer elsewhere.

Fair enough. Allthough I'm hyped and enthousiastic about soulbeast. I agree with you here.

Though I'm wondering, what is an objective oppinion in this case?

When people throw out numbers and theory? There's a lot of those here.

When people prove things in practise like in a video? Combined with theory?

Or have become a little, or much famous as a ranger?

> @jcbroe.4329 said:

> Sure, you're a glass cannon, okay. But every other class including glass core ranger and glass Druid outperform Soulbeast at that role.

this is a misunderstanding on your part. the SB tree gives a +22% damage modifier, 4s of unblockable, and double swoop with the gazelle and GS. you cant get this kind of damage and mobility with core. i would argue that the glassbow SB is probably the best "glass" spec in the game right now.

unfortunately, i lost a crapton of rank testing bad builds, but in low plat i've been able to annihilate every druid ive come across with the glassbow SB. i mean what are u gonna do against 10s of unblockable from 1500? if you approach me, i'll just double swoop out and reset.

> @anduriell.6280 said:

> Yesterday watching the streams of many main ranger in twitch they all seem to agree the class is terrible. Even Quickcry couldn't keep up playing and that guy is very determined to play the class.

>

> In my experience playing with soulbeast is like choosing to play in hard mode without sustain or output damage to rely on.

>

> Do you enjoy playing this game with this class other than roleplaying reasons? (i realise most of the _ranger is fine_ posts are from roleplay players which only want the shaman thingy going on)

>

> Before you answer think about playing with soulbeast for 3 hours in PoF open world PvE... Do you end up thinking _hey this game was fun_ or you have moments like _wow that wordly impact was amazing_ or every single encounter with even trash mobs is ridiculously and unnecessary difficult because you don't have the tools to make it work.

I know quickcry (didn't say he knows me, or likes me *smile* ) but I respect him and a few other players in the game, if **_he _**can't find any joy in Beastmode - if so many players are so disappointed, I am sorry I opened that mode at all.

> @"Bast Bow.2958" said:

> > @jcbroe.4329 said:

> > What's bothering me more than anything is mostly just the lack of objective opinions across multiple gamemodes.

> >

> > Yeah, Soulbeast was destined to be a condi Ranger upgrade in PvE. It's a condi autoattack weapon we previously didn't have with passive damage boosting traits.

> >

> > That doesn't make it a good spec though, that just makes the weapon good in 1/3 modes and some of the traits good in 1/3 modes.

> >

> > What about the mechanic? What about the other game modes? What about the other traits?

> >

> > Personally, I found Soulbeast unusable in legend/plat queues in PvP. You sacrifice all of your defensive utility for just 1 usable skill and 2 subpar skills (which is the case on the vast majority of the pets, especially the ones you'd want to use outside of Beastmode).

> >

> > Sure, you're a glass cannon, okay. But every other class including glass core ranger and glass Druid outperform Soulbeast at that role.

> >

> > In WvW, yes, you can stance share and yes, it's fantastic for group play. But. You don't bring anything that a Guardian/Firebrand can't do better in that party slot when it comes to organized play, and when groups start optimizing Soulbeast will not suddenly become a requested WvW party/squad class.

> >

> > I'm glad people are enjoying that they can get better DPS numbers on PvE sponge golems, I really am. But that one aspect is not enough to redeem what that spec fails to offer elsewhere.

>

> Fair enough. Allthough I'm hyped and enthousiastic about soulbeast. I agree with you here.

>

> Though I'm wondering, what is an objective oppinion in this case?

>

> When people throw out numbers and theory? There's a lot of those here.

> When people prove things in practise like in a video? Combined with theory?

> Or have become a little, or much famous as a ranger?

>

>

Objective as in providing reasoning or logic (at the very least) to support how people are responding.

While there are many people doing this, there are just as many using generic "good, bad, fun, not fun" as qualifiers.

Those aren't metrics, let alone something that ANet can even use as reliable feedback, much less anybody else.

I'm sure somebody enjoyed the old ET game that was buried in the desert too, but that doesn't mean it didn't deserve to be buried in the desert.

I disagree entirely with the OP. You simply do not like the class mechanics and that's okay. I find it fun to micromanage my pets skills, absorbing the pet, slamming them all out, popping the pet out and then cycling to another pet to do it all again. Much more fun than standard ranger and I'm not a support playing type so Druid is a little uninteresting for me.

For the posters above me read your traits, look at the different synergies between them (Shouts and Stances are nice together, they play well.) And if you're getting stunned you have a very strong elite and a few other nice ways to grant stability and stunbreak, you can even turn beastmode into a stun break like berserkers can make their form change one.

> @jcbroe.4329 said:

> Objective as in providing reasoning or logic (at the very least) to support how people are responding.

im just gonna call you out here. you've been doing nothing but complaining since trying out the Soulbeast. objective/subjective, logical/illogical are concepts that get thrown around a lot. and you will use the labels "logic" and "reasoning" to bolster your subjective argument, which is that "every single Soulbeast spec is inferior to core and druid, as if you've tried all the possibilities by now. but ultimately, there is just understanding...or not understanding. before people make bold claims, they need to research more and understand better. we're not at a stage where we can say "Soulbeast sucks" because the game has been out for 3 days. that's about as logical as it gets.

> @mistsim.2748 said:

> > @jcbroe.4329 said:

> > Sure, you're a glass cannon, okay. But every other class including glass core ranger and glass Druid outperform Soulbeast at that role.

>

> this is a misunderstanding on your part. the SB tree gives a +22% damage modifier, 4s of unblockable, and double swoop with the gazelle and GS. you cant get this kind of damage and mobility with core. i would argue that the glassbow SB is probably the best "glass" spec in the game right now.

>

> unfortunately, i lost a crapton of rank testing bad builds, but in low plat i've been able to annihilate every druid ive come across with the glassbow SB. i mean what are u gonna do against 10s of unblockable from 1500? if you approach me, i'll just double swoop out and reset.

>

>

>

It's not a misunderstanding; it's the same conversation we've had since the game launched.

**Ranger has never lacked the damage it needed to be competitive.**

Before trait reworks, it was the survivability it needed to not be ganked. Before Druid, it was the team support and/or mobility it needed to be competitive with other high damage builds. With the most recent round of core changes, Ranger has the survivability for fighting and dealing with ganks as well as the mobility it needs to get from place to place, fight to fight, etc.

What does Soulbeast offer? More group utility than core, less than Druid, and less survivability than both, and it comes at the cost of the damage trait that would even be the selling point for running Soulbeast, which means the only thing you do with Soulbeast is more damage, **which is the thing that Ranger was never lacking.**

I've watched you post a few times now about your concepts of "manliness" or what you feel is cheap or cheese or not now btw, and I have to say while I'm happy you take pride in your gameplay, you're genuinely crippling your mindset which will eventually leave you with the inability to keep pace with top tier gameplay.

There's this fantastic article that I can't for the life of me find from googling atm, but I wish I could link it for you. In summary (I apologize for my use of second person throughout this); assigning the concept of a cheap strategy based on some sense of honor cripples you and your ability to play competitively because you're forcing this idea of honorable gameplay to be the way you play so you'll never adopt a efficient/winning strategy if it doesn't exist within this concept of honorable gameplay you've created, even though technically you're the one who isn't playing the game it was intended to be played by not utilizing strategies made available to you. On top of that, you don't learn from your gameplay against better opponents or opponents using strategies you designate is cheap/dishonorable; you simply label them as such and dismiss them when instead you should learn them and incorporate them into your gameplay when possible if your true goal was just to be as competitive as possible.

It's driving me crazy now that I can't find this article.

P.S. not just in this thread; but you should probably stop assigning gender to how you hold respect for or intend disrespect to builds/concepts/etc. Depending on the person, it's incredibly offensive, and also misleading to imply gender has anything to do with competition, gameplay efficacy, or etc.

Edit: found it: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win