Anet : The Meteor Shower Nerf is a shame (60% DPS Nerf in PvE vs single target)

Lasiurus.4067

> @"TSOdinson.2518" said:

> Please address this community. No internal CD and no longer a need to fully channel the spell. As soon as it starts hitting, lava font... Someone said they had a dps increase by doing this.

Now i can imagine a new rotation in staff dps weaver, "you must half cast meteor shower".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Lasiurus.4067" said:

>

> Meteor Shower: The internal cooldown of this skill has been removed when used against PvE targets, and its initial damage has been increased by 23%. Damage will now decline by 10% for each subsequent hit, capping at a minimum value equal to 10% of the initial impact's damage.

>

> ---

>

> Meteor Shower gots 24 hits

>

> This means, that after the 10th hit, the DPS will be only 10% from initial one (buffed by 23%).

>

> This means thats : before ALL 24 hits, hits for 10K, 24x10k = 240k

>

> -------

>

> TOTAL BEFORE PATCH : 240K.

>

> TOTAL AFTER PATCH : About 100K.

>

> -------

>

> This nerf is sick, Staff Weaver had big DPS but lowest HP, squishest build.Now the DPS will be better with Scourge, who also has barrier AND Corrupt.

>

> Does anet wants to eradicate last DPS Staff Weaver ?Thats really sad...

>

>

>

> ----

> EDIT : It works everywhere, just tested it in WvW. BUT its per target, so it's okay for WvW versys Zerg .

> The massi ve nerf is only for PvE. But it was way too much imo

It's not even that much about the damage nerf. Although it is waaaaaay too much. It's the silly, ridiculous gameplay it creates. Why risk being rooted in place, waiting the cast to finish, when all you get is some last meteors hitting like wet noodles? Why am I given such a strong incentive to cancel my own cast? It's stupid, it's horrible.

> @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > @"Mikuchan.7261" said:

> > > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > > @"Ringlin.1863" said:

> > > > > @"GrahamW.5397" said:

> > > > > It doesn't really matter how much they buff the first few hits on targets when the rest of them you may as well be throwing dust. Part of why Ele was so strong in wvw was because of the insane amount of cleave and pressure it could put on people who were downed from 1200 range which is effectively gone now.

> > > > While I'm concerned primarily about PvE, I liked that aspect of Ele play in WvW, too. 3+ seconds of immobility is risky, but if you positioned yourself wisely, and got the right timing, you could have a big impact. Seemed a fair trade.

> > > >

> > > > Apparently, the devs didn't think so, but man... such a nerf! In a game where people devote weeks and more to gaining gear that can improve their DPS by a few percent, a 60% cut to a primary damage skill is HUGE.

> > > >

> > > > And as far as I can see, it's completely unnecessary in PvE. It hurts us significantly while improving the gameplay for no one else.

> > >

> > > A Meteor Shower nerf against Large Hit Box targets was desperately needed. Weaver will still be best DPS, but the gap will be about 5k now, not 12k.

> >

> > You say that, but consider that Weaver brings -nothing- other than dps to the party.

> > You're glass, you have essentially no CC, and what you have requires 2 attunement swaps or conjuring a weapon.

> > What point is there with a weaver if you can bring another class that also has a bunch more hp, gives buffs and/or heals and/or inflicts vulnerability?

> > And what point is there with channeling Meteor Shower for 3.75s and letting it be on 24s cooldown when a lava font actually does more damage, is instant and with 6.5s cooldown?

> > They are essentially deleting Meteor Shower from the game and making Weaver pointless along with it.

>

> So, Weaver, which doesn't actually have a complex rotation, should do so much more damage than any other DPS spec that also doesn't bring any buffs or utility, that no other DPS can complete with it on large hit boxes? Meter Shower is still more DPS than Fireball, so you will obviously still cast it in the same part of rotation as normal. How is Meter Shower deleted and Weaver pointless?

Not having a complex rotation? Point me one other dps who has to cast a skill on a specific position *30 seconds in advance*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLFCxMQ87E

the important info in this video is that meteor shower (MS) now deals less dmg than lava fonts combined over the course of 4 mil HP

before the nerf it was basically vice versa

the sad thing is:

instead of nerfing weaver specific multilpiers like elements of rage (% or ferocity buff for example) they go for gutting all ele specs who use staff (baseline ele, tempest ele) and make them basically useless af

i dont know why anet devs hate eles so much but it just shows how they have no fcking clue what they actually do

weaver not only has to care about holding up that rotation on raids, you need to think about aoe placements and your conjure placement to even get that good

anet devs, why u hate me? :)

> @"Hindenburg.3415" said:

> Hate eles ? Lul. 47k dps on large hitbox , top1 like ever ( and after patch too ) - this is hate ? Why devs do not hate my engi ...ehh

1. 47k you can't get any more.

2. Top 1 on golem with small margin doesn't matter when literally every other dps is so much more reliable.

> @"Baseraver.7241" said:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLFCxMQ87E

>

> the important info in this video is that meteor shower (MS) now deals less dmg than lava fonts combined over the course of 4 mil HP

>

> before the nerf it was basically vice versa

>

> the sad thing is:

> instead of nerfing weaver specific multilpiers like elements of rage (% or ferocity buff for example) they go for gutting all ele specs who use staff (baseline ele, tempest ele) and make them basically useless af

>

> i dont know why anet devs hate eles so much but it just shows how they have no fcking clue what they actually do

> weaver not only has to care about holding up that rotation on raids, you need to think about aoe placements and your conjure placement to even get that good

>

> anet devs, why u hate me? :)

Meteor Shower was the problem. It needed to be nerfed on Large Hitbox Targets.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > @"Mikuchan.7261" said:

> > > > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > > > @"Ringlin.1863" said:

> > > > > > @"GrahamW.5397" said:

> > > > > > It doesn't really matter how much they buff the first few hits on targets when the rest of them you may as well be throwing dust. Part of why Ele was so strong in wvw was because of the insane amount of cleave and pressure it could put on people who were downed from 1200 range which is effectively gone now.

> > > > > While I'm concerned primarily about PvE, I liked that aspect of Ele play in WvW, too. 3+ seconds of immobility is risky, but if you positioned yourself wisely, and got the right timing, you could have a big impact. Seemed a fair trade.

> > > > >

> > > > > Apparently, the devs didn't think so, but man... such a nerf! In a game where people devote weeks and more to gaining gear that can improve their DPS by a few percent, a 60% cut to a primary damage skill is HUGE.

> > > > >

> > > > > And as far as I can see, it's completely unnecessary in PvE. It hurts us significantly while improving the gameplay for no one else.

> > > >

> > > > A Meteor Shower nerf against Large Hit Box targets was desperately needed. Weaver will still be best DPS, but the gap will be about 5k now, not 12k.

> > >

> > > You say that, but consider that Weaver brings -nothing- other than dps to the party.

> > > You're glass, you have essentially no CC, and what you have requires 2 attunement swaps or conjuring a weapon.

> > > What point is there with a weaver if you can bring another class that also has a bunch more hp, gives buffs and/or heals and/or inflicts vulnerability?

> > > And what point is there with channeling Meteor Shower for 3.75s and letting it be on 24s cooldown when a lava font actually does more damage, is instant and with 6.5s cooldown?

> > > They are essentially deleting Meteor Shower from the game and making Weaver pointless along with it.

> >

> > So, Weaver, which doesn't actually have a complex rotation, should do so much more damage than any other DPS spec that also doesn't bring any buffs or utility, that no other DPS can complete with it on large hit boxes? Meter Shower is still more DPS than Fireball, so you will obviously still cast it in the same part of rotation as normal. How is Meter Shower deleted and Weaver pointless?

>

> Not having a complex rotation? Point me one other dps who has to cast a skill on a specific position *30 seconds in advance*.

Because that's soooo hard.

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > > @"Mikuchan.7261" said:

> > > > > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > > > > @"Ringlin.1863" said:

> > > > > > > @"GrahamW.5397" said:

> > > > > > > It doesn't really matter how much they buff the first few hits on targets when the rest of them you may as well be throwing dust. Part of why Ele was so strong in wvw was because of the insane amount of cleave and pressure it could put on people who were downed from 1200 range which is effectively gone now.

> > > > > > While I'm concerned primarily about PvE, I liked that aspect of Ele play in WvW, too. 3+ seconds of immobility is risky, but if you positioned yourself wisely, and got the right timing, you could have a big impact. Seemed a fair trade.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Apparently, the devs didn't think so, but man... such a nerf! In a game where people devote weeks and more to gaining gear that can improve their DPS by a few percent, a 60% cut to a primary damage skill is HUGE.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > And as far as I can see, it's completely unnecessary in PvE. It hurts us significantly while improving the gameplay for no one else.

> > > > >

> > > > > A Meteor Shower nerf against Large Hit Box targets was desperately needed. Weaver will still be best DPS, but the gap will be about 5k now, not 12k.

> > > >

> > > > You say that, but consider that Weaver brings -nothing- other than dps to the party.

> > > > You're glass, you have essentially no CC, and what you have requires 2 attunement swaps or conjuring a weapon.

> > > > What point is there with a weaver if you can bring another class that also has a bunch more hp, gives buffs and/or heals and/or inflicts vulnerability?

> > > > And what point is there with channeling Meteor Shower for 3.75s and letting it be on 24s cooldown when a lava font actually does more damage, is instant and with 6.5s cooldown?

> > > > They are essentially deleting Meteor Shower from the game and making Weaver pointless along with it.

> > >

> > > So, Weaver, which doesn't actually have a complex rotation, should do so much more damage than any other DPS spec that also doesn't bring any buffs or utility, that no other DPS can complete with it on large hit boxes? Meter Shower is still more DPS than Fireball, so you will obviously still cast it in the same part of rotation as normal. How is Meter Shower deleted and Weaver pointless?

> >

> > Not having a complex rotation? Point me one other dps who has to cast a skill on a specific position *30 seconds in advance*.

>

> Because that's soooo hard.

At the very least, it can vary from group to group. And then there will be the warriors placing banners over your conjures. And then there will be pugs stealing your conjures. Like it or not, it is a complex and fragile rotation.

Has anyone here ever thought about the idea of Weaver not suppose te be top-DPS at all (EVER)?!!! Imo the concept of Weaver (or maybe even Ele as a whole) is to _weave_ to the elements and adapt to the fight and environment. A bit of a jack of all trades, who specced the right way would be a great help in _anything_ that's needed during the course of the fight, but nothing more than that: just great, never the absolute TOP. Currently all weavers choose beforehand for what to go for: Top-DPS, Best Healer, etc. and HAVE to stick to it during the fight. That's not what's 'weaving' is all about. It's broken!

Put on Zealot gear, and still be very valuable by putting 27k on the table and heal your team when it's needed (definitely now the Druid has had its nerf as well) It's about time another class takes the crown in Top dps!!!

Little forecast here: still not going to happen, probably META (at least in the PvE endgame) will still stay the exact same, so please ANet keep the nerfs coming!

I think it’s time ANet learnt how to create a proper meteor show skill from a real developer: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Meteor_Shower

Edit: I’ll probably have to explain this. Basically they should make meteor shower a pulsing damage AoE with a visual of a single meteor falling at each damage interval, that way they can control the damage it does on large and small targets much more consistently and players don’t have to deal with RNG and inconsistent damage numbers. Make it hit 10 targets to retain its large scale use and it’s done.

> @"Agrippa Oculus.3726" said:

> Has anyone here ever thought about the idea of Weaver not suppose te be top-DPS at all (EVER)?!!! Imo the concept of Weaver (or maybe even Ele as a whole) is to _weave_ to the elements and adapt to the fight and environment.

This can only work in pvp. In pve it's just a waste. You either go all out on damage, or you're there to buff the other characters who go all out on damage. Can weaver supply any relevant buffs? No. It will never be a support.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > > > @"Mikuchan.7261" said:

> > > > > > @"Mikeskies.1536" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ringlin.1863" said:

> > > > > > > > @"GrahamW.5397" said:

> > > > > > > > It doesn't really matter how much they buff the first few hits on targets when the rest of them you may as well be throwing dust. Part of why Ele was so strong in wvw was because of the insane amount of cleave and pressure it could put on people who were downed from 1200 range which is effectively gone now.

> > > > > > > While I'm concerned primarily about PvE, I liked that aspect of Ele play in WvW, too. 3+ seconds of immobility is risky, but if you positioned yourself wisely, and got the right timing, you could have a big impact. Seemed a fair trade.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Apparently, the devs didn't think so, but man... such a nerf! In a game where people devote weeks and more to gaining gear that can improve their DPS by a few percent, a 60% cut to a primary damage skill is HUGE.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > And as far as I can see, it's completely unnecessary in PvE. It hurts us significantly while improving the gameplay for no one else.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A Meteor Shower nerf against Large Hit Box targets was desperately needed. Weaver will still be best DPS, but the gap will be about 5k now, not 12k.

> > > > >

> > > > > You say that, but consider that Weaver brings -nothing- other than dps to the party.

> > > > > You're glass, you have essentially no CC, and what you have requires 2 attunement swaps or conjuring a weapon.

> > > > > What point is there with a weaver if you can bring another class that also has a bunch more hp, gives buffs and/or heals and/or inflicts vulnerability?

> > > > > And what point is there with channeling Meteor Shower for 3.75s and letting it be on 24s cooldown when a lava font actually does more damage, is instant and with 6.5s cooldown?

> > > > > They are essentially deleting Meteor Shower from the game and making Weaver pointless along with it.

> > > >

> > > > So, Weaver, which doesn't actually have a complex rotation, should do so much more damage than any other DPS spec that also doesn't bring any buffs or utility, that no other DPS can complete with it on large hit boxes? Meter Shower is still more DPS than Fireball, so you will obviously still cast it in the same part of rotation as normal. How is Meter Shower deleted and Weaver pointless?

> > >

> > > Not having a complex rotation? Point me one other dps who has to cast a skill on a specific position *30 seconds in advance*.

> >

> > Because that's soooo hard.

>

> At the very least, it can vary from group to group. And then there will be the warriors placing banners over your conjures. And then there will be pugs stealing your conjures. Like it or not, it is a complex and fragile rotation.

I agree that conjure problem is annoying. Someone steals my conjures every fight.

> @"apharma.3741" said:

>Basically they should make meteor shower a pulsing damage AoE with a visual of a single meteor falling at each damage interval, that way they can control the damage it does on large and small targets much more consistently and players don’t have to deal with RNG and inconsistent damage numbers. Make it hit 10 targets to retain its large scale use and it’s done.

That's a good solution.

I'm already feeling the pain of the nerfed Meteor Shower while working through more storyline chapters. I understand the nerf was aimed at reducing Weaver stats in group content, but it makes a significant difference in solo PvE. You don't need Meteor Shower most of the time, but when you do, there's no replacement, and the damage reduction is huge.

Apharma's proposal would work for both cases, keeping Meteor Shower as a high-damage spell for the solo fights where it shines, yet also addressing the large-hitbox concern.

> Has anyone here ever thought about the idea of Weaver not suppose te be top-DPS at all (EVER)?!!! Imo the concept of Weaver (or maybe even Ele as a whole) is to _weave_ to the elements and adapt to the fight and environment. A bit of a jack of all trades, who specced the right way would be a great help in _anything_ that's needed during the course of the fight, but nothing more than that: just great, never the absolute TOP. Currently all weavers choose beforehand for what to go for: Top-DPS, Best Healer, etc. and HAVE to stick to it during the fight. That's not what's 'weaving' is all about. It's broken!

> Put on Zealot gear, and still be very valuable by putting 27k on the table and heal your team when it's needed (definitely now the Druid has had its nerf as well) It's about time another class takes the crown in Top dps!!!

>

> Little forecast here: still not going to happen, probably META (at least in the PvE endgame) will still stay the exact same, so please ANet keep the nerfs coming!

The entire mechanic of weaver goes against the concept of jack of all trades. Wanna heal allies? Well too bad you have to wait for at least 4 seconds before you can attunement switch enough to heal, same thing with CC and with everything else. Weaver is the most unversatile way to play ele. How you play weaver is focus on a role (damage) and base your rotation around that. If you want to be more versatile you either stick to core ele or tempest.

I am not very impressed with the meteor change though. If they wanted to decrease weaver DPS, they could have targeted weaver-specific stuff instead of yet again going for core elemntalist. It is true that meteor has always been a problem with large hitboxes, but since tempest and core ele are not issues, they should have at least compensated those specs with something. What's tempest even meta in these days anyway? The only thing that I like about the meteor change is that it probably is a buff in WvW and PvP. But the PvP part is moot because such slow abilities will always be worthless there, no matter how much they get buffed in other ways.

> > @"Baseraver.7241" said:

> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLFCxMQ87E

> >

> > the important info in this video is that meteor shower (MS) now deals less dmg than lava fonts combined over the course of 4 mil HP

> >

> > before the nerf it was basically vice versa

> >

> > the sad thing is:

> > instead of nerfing weaver specific multilpiers like elements of rage (% or ferocity buff for example) they go for gutting all ele specs who use staff (baseline ele, tempest ele) and make them basically useless af

> >

> > i dont know why anet devs hate eles so much but it just shows how they have no fcking clue what they actually do

> > weaver not only has to care about holding up that rotation on raids, you need to think about aoe placements and your conjure placement to even get that good

> >

> > anet devs, why u hate me? :)

>

> Meteor Shower was the problem. It needed to be nerfed on Large Hitbox Targets.

Then change the numbers of rock that are dropped there no need for them to make a new system for one skill that going to hit other game types. This is not how you balancing skills in games this is not how you do any thing in real life this is just a waist of time and work for the ele dev. Its starting to feel like the ele devs do nothing but pointless work and get a pay check.

> Has anyone here ever thought about the idea of Weaver not suppose te be top-DPS at all (EVER)?!!! Imo the concept of Weaver (or maybe even Ele as a whole) is to _weave_ to the elements and adapt to the fight and environment. A bit of a jack of all trades, who specced the right way would be a great help in _anything_ that's needed during the course of the fight, but nothing more than that: just great, never the absolute TOP. Currently all weavers choose beforehand for what to go for: Top-DPS, Best Healer, etc. and HAVE to stick to it during the fight. That's not what's 'weaving' is all about. It's broken!

> Put on Zealot gear, and still be very valuable by putting 27k on the table and heal your team when it's needed (definitely now the Druid has had its nerf as well) It's about time another class takes the crown in Top dps!!!

>

> Little forecast here: still not going to happen, probably META (at least in the PvE endgame) will still stay the exact same, so please ANet keep the nerfs coming!

Not going to work that way with how weavers currently are unless you remove the 4s cd on attunement swap or actually put garbage skill called "Unravel" into F5 like people suggested (but ANet is fine leaving the way it is). How weaver is currently designed is also inherently selfish. It's best "support" skill is a sword 2 water skill that displaces itself from the group to drop a small aoe that doesn't heal enough or a sword 3 water single time heal that requires hitting an enemy and the whole group to be near its small radius. All of its special dual attacks are either damage or flat out useless (Monsoon, Glacial Drift). Same with its traits -- all selfish dps increase, self heal/barrier, or useless (Elemental Pursuit, Invigorating Strikes).

> @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > @"Chasind.3128" said:

> > RIP staff ele WvW - my guild requested us not to have ele's anymore in WvW raids unless we're just goofing off.

>

> Why? A well placed meteor on a group in WvW is even more deadly now.

only the 1st hit, which tends to be evaded/ blocked

> @"Chasind.3128" said:

> > @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> > > @"Chasind.3128" said:

> > > RIP staff ele WvW - my guild requested us not to have ele's anymore in WvW raids unless we're just goofing off.

> >

> > Why? A well placed meteor on a group in WvW is even more deadly now.

>

> only the 1st hit, which tends to be evaded/ blocked

RTL taught us that avoiding the hit doesn't count. I bet that if you evade the 1st hit, the next meteor that actually damages you will count as the 1st one as far as damage goes.

I love these posts! Most of them are completely biased nad misses the points when it comes to PvE. :lol:

Honestly, I'm baffled by most of the reactions. Let's see what happened: a single ability on the Staff of the Elementalist got a nerf on single target, large hitbox. Small hitbox is in fact buffed, because now you can actually hit it more than 5 times (which for old and new are on par). You also got a buff on DPS when you are attacking multiple monsters. For example, if the Slublings on Slothasor are all within the AoE they will die before the 4th Meteor. Which is a straight up DPS and Burst increase on them.

I've seen a lot of people argue that Weaver is the "squishiest" DPS. If we just look at statistics then yeah, it sure is squishy as hell. But how do raids work again? You do the mechanic correctly and you win. You miss a single step and you are dead. This is the same for every class though. One-shot is one-shot regardless if you have 11k or 21k HP.

Also, having if we consider Staff Weaver to be the 100% for Large hitboxes, then having 70% at the 3rd place is not justified by "being squishy".

Also if you think that you "only bring damage" to a team, then that just shows a low level of understanding as to what your class does. You should just maybe... maybe... you know... dip into attunements other than Fire and Earth or something. But maybe that's a too innovative idea. :disappointed:

tldr: Large Hitbox Single Target DPS is nerfed (and with good reason), Smaller Hitbox Single Target should stay the same. We also learned that Staff Weaver has more than 2 attunements!

> @"Cregath.7628" said:

> I love these posts! Most of them are completely biased nad misses the points when it comes to PvE. :lol:

>

> Honestly, I'm baffled by most of the reactions. Let's see what happened: a single ability on the Staff of the Elementalist got a nerf on single target, large hitbox. Small hitbox is in fact buffed, because now you can actually hit it more than 5 times (which for old and new are on par). You also got a buff on DPS when you are attacking multiple monsters. For example, if the Slublings on Slothasor are all within the AoE they will die before the 4th Meteor. Which is a straight up DPS and Burst increase on them.

>

> I've seen a lot of people argue that Weaver is the "squishiest" DPS. If we just look at statistics then yeah, it sure is squishy as hell. But how do raids work again? You do the mechanic correctly and you win. You miss a single step and you are dead. This is the same for every class though. One-shot is one-shot regardless if you have 11k or 21k HP.

> Also, having if we consider Staff Weaver to be the 100% for Large hitboxes, then having 70% at the 3rd place is not justified by "being squishy".

>

> Also if you think that you "only bring damage" to a team, then that just shows a low level of understanding as to what your class does. You should just maybe... maybe... you know... dip into attunements other than Fire and Earth or something. But maybe that's a too innovative idea. :disappointed:

>

> tldr: Large Hitbox Single Target DPS is nerfed (and with good reason), Smaller Hitbox Single Target should stay the same. We also learned that Staff Weaver has more than 2 attunements!

I've already switched my gear over to a Holo :)