What do you think the new mount skin is?

> @"Sylent.3165" said:

> I think it's $20 I won't waste money on.

Try $25 even in US money, $5 for every slice of 400 gems. The day Anet decides to become more reasonable with mount skins I'll reconsider. Yesterday I bought an outfit because that price was reasonable, the day a specific mount skin is a specific price I will reconsider maybe. And by the way Anet in Canada your 25 becomes 33, now tell me again Balthazar's name I should pay 33 fore a stupid skin, no matter how great it looks. Yes I was stupid enough to do it once with the metallic Minotaur, never again.

Coming back on topic it's an 8 tailspin fox wolf hound from Cantha.

They will be all over Cantha but not the skin at 25 like so many other skins you will almost never see them. :p

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > This.....

> >

> >

> >

> > test

>

> I only count 1 tail, though.

I think this goes to show that a lack understanding on the subject lends toward assuming the first encounter with it to be mostly fact. A lack comparison if you will.

Like a lot of references in this game, the Shrine Guardian is an amalgam of a hand full of Japanese/Chinese myths and symbols. The 2 most prominent being the okuriōkami (Guide Wolf) and the Kyubi (Nine Tail Fox). But knowing the Devs, all of these are nods to pop culture versions of these icons. The wispy patterns on fur, and the cloud design on the sash, are both pretty obvious references to Okami (PS2), which itself got its art style, core aesthetic, and a number of game mechanics from Sumi-e (a japanese brush art style). If you change the default aura color from White gold to Scarlet, the whole motif becomes more noticeable.

The Fox is one of the commonly used Japanese mythological creatures in Anime.... either by reference, or actual inclusion. The distinct Nine Tails makes it easy to identify, and sells like gang busters due to the popularity of Naruto. But I'm not 99% sure its more of a reference to Kuyibimon (aka Renamon) from Digimon Tamers, since the design shapes and aura patterns are similar. It also cleanly includes the Shinto Shrine references in the accessory design and its name. Theres also the warp effect's lights looking like a Ring of beads (which is commonly carried by Monks), but I'm not entirely certain if that was intentional or not. The lights do source from the tail though..... just in case noone else noticed.

It could potentially be a reference to Zunraa and the Canthan Kirin. They were shrine guardians and had a similar structure. Although the Kirin had only 1 tail and hooves. But it wouldn't be the first time a GW2 interpretation of something looked different than it did in GW1; Djinn, for example.

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > This.....

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > test

> >

> > I only count 1 tail, though.

>

> I think this goes to show that a lack understanding on the subject lends toward assuming the first encounter with it to be mostly fact. A lack comparison if you will.

>

> Like a lot of references in this game, the Shrine Guardian is an amalgam of a hand full of Japanese/Chinese myths and symbols. The 2 most prominent being the okuriōkami (Guide Wolf) and the Kyubi (Nine Tail Fox). But knowing the Devs, all of these are nods to pop culture versions of these icons. The wispy patterns on fur, and the cloud design on the sash, are both pretty obvious references to Okami (PS2), which itself got its art style, core aesthetic, and a number of game mechanics from Sumi-e (a japanese brush art style). If you change the default aura color from White gold to Scarlet, the whole motif becomes more noticeable.

>

> The Fox is one of the commonly used Japanese mythological creatures in Anime.... either by reference, or actual inclusion. The distinct Nine Tails makes it easy to identify, and sells like gang busters due to the popularity of Naruto. But I'm not 99% sure its more of a reference to Kuyibimon (aka Renamon) from Digimon Tamers, since the design shapes and aura patterns are similar. It also cleanly includes the Shinto Shrine references in the accessory design and its name. Theres also the warp effect's lights looking like a Ring of beads (which is commonly carried by Monks), but I'm not entirely certain if that was intentional or not. The lights do source from the tail though..... just in case noone else noticed.

Oh, there is no lack of understanding on my part. I am aware of Amaterasu from Okami. And while both the Shrine Guardian mount and Amaterasu's model from Okami do have a resemblance, the tails are the obvious difference. In Okami, Amaterasu has 1 tail and it's meant to resemble a calligraphy brush. The base colors of the mount skin resemble her as well. I am aware of Naruto's link to the kitsune, but I hate Naruto so I don't care for that particular reference. Yes, the 9-tailed fox is present in many Asian mythologies, and hence it has been used by many as inspiration for their own creations in pop culture, just like many other mythological creatures. Nods to pop culture? I won't refute that. But considering the 9 tails and the fact that it's a shrine guardian, I find the strongest link to be to the kitsune, who were guardians of Inari's shrines (Inari being a kami, or deity, in Japanese mythology). One can argue it's a reference to one of the many dozens of kitsune-based creatures/characters in anime, games, film and what not. Personally I am of the opinion that all of them, including ANet, have taken their inspiration from mythology instead of each other.

> @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > @"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:

> > > > @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > > > This.....

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > test

> > >

> > > I only count 1 tail, though.

> >

> > I think this goes to show that a lack understanding on the subject lends toward assuming the first encounter with it to be mostly fact. A lack comparison if you will.

> >

> > Like a lot of references in this game, the Shrine Guardian is an amalgam of a hand full of Japanese/Chinese myths and symbols. The 2 most prominent being the okuriōkami (Guide Wolf) and the Kyubi (Nine Tail Fox). But knowing the Devs, all of these are nods to pop culture versions of these icons. The wispy patterns on fur, and the cloud design on the sash, are both pretty obvious references to Okami (PS2), which itself got its art style, core aesthetic, and a number of game mechanics from Sumi-e (a japanese brush art style). If you change the default aura color from White gold to Scarlet, the whole motif becomes more noticeable.

> >

> > The Fox is one of the commonly used Japanese mythological creatures in Anime.... either by reference, or actual inclusion. The distinct Nine Tails makes it easy to identify, and sells like gang busters due to the popularity of Naruto. But I'm not 99% sure its more of a reference to Kuyibimon (aka Renamon) from Digimon Tamers, since the design shapes and aura patterns are similar. It also cleanly includes the Shinto Shrine references in the accessory design and its name. Theres also the warp effect's lights looking like a Ring of beads (which is commonly carried by Monks), but I'm not entirely certain if that was intentional or not. The lights do source from the tail though..... just in case noone else noticed.

>

> Oh, there is no lack of understanding on my part. I am aware of Amaterasu from Okami. And while both the Shrine Guardian mount and Amaterasu's model from Okami do have a resemblance, the tails are the obvious difference. In Okami, Amaterasu has 1 tail and it's meant to resemble a calligraphy brush. The base colors of the mount skin resemble her as well. I am aware of Naruto's link to the kitsune, but I hate Naruto so I don't care for that particular reference. Yes, the 9-tailed fox is present in many Asian mythologies, and hence it has been used by many as inspiration for their own creations in pop culture, just like many other mythological creatures. Nods to pop culture? I won't refute that. But considering the 9 tails and the fact that it's a shrine guardian, I find the strongest link to be to the kitsune, who were guardians of Inari's shrines (Inari being a kami, or deity, in Japanese mythology). One can argue it's a reference to one of the many dozens of kitsune-based creatures/characters in anime, games, film and what not. Personally I am of the opinion that all of them, including ANet, have taken their inspiration from mythology instead of each other.

Same. I get irked when people assume that something is based off another thing when they are actually both based off the same thing that is much older than both. Even much more irked when people say things like "Oh this is x-thing!" (Note saying something like "this reminds me of x-thing" is perfectly reasonable and okay)