Please Don't Nerf the Chef!

John.8507

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going to talk about nerfs because your native language isn't english, or you have a disability a lot should be nerfed, there will always be people that can't do something because of a rare disease or other thing they have.

I don't really care about this Mastery, but i think that Anet won't nerf things like this as quickly as people excpect, since it does cost them extra time if they do it after every complaint.

This mini-game is more about luck than anything else. In one run, he sent me to the salmon, then to the flour, then salmon again, then flour, back and forth a couple of times, while others were chased through the whole kitchen. I would like to see a statistics of how many people logged out of the game after failing at this, it's probably the content that causes most rage quits. Luckily, I didn't have to rage quit because the server dropped my connection at some point. I got lucky after maybe 15 attempts, and I think I only fetched 6 or 7 ingredients. What causes rage here is that you can do everything right and still fail because it's not about memory or skill. A four year old can quickly remember where the ingredients are.

There were a few tips in the threads about it already, like showing item labels (which I have enabled anyway). Here's one I haven't seen in the posts yet: When you start throwing and the chef moves, break your throw by moving yourself. You'll keep the item in your hands and can follow him to the next station.

> @dusanyu.4057 said:

> > @Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

> > > @"Chicken Fro.6953" said:

> > > > @Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

> > > > doesn't matter. nobody needs that point.

> > >

> > > I did :P

> >

> > than you missed a lot of other mastery points .

> >

> >

>

> Map completion.

Mastery points were never included in the map from a completion standpoint. The only purpose in getting additional points would be for personal reasons. I personally don't think the chef 'challenge' needs to be nerfed either. I myself deal with a list if issues and anything involving memory in a short period is actually difficult for me. I had issues with memory puzzles previously, even the one on the same map. I was able to complete both of them within 4 tries each because I didn't give up after the second time, I simply observed and came up with my own method for succeeding.

If I can understand that many ask to nerf it, I cannot understand present topic asking for the opposite: I mean, once done (my case), we don't care anymore right? That's over with it. That it gets nerfed or not has zero impact.

Personally, I don't mind at all. I am not concerned anymore. I know that many players have it hard as soon as a set of actions has to be done within limited time. I believe that to relax it a bit in term of timing would disturb nobody. Those who can manage don't care, the others will be able to do it better.

Come one, we are not talking big here: It's not like a JP requiring long work and efforts, or a bad boss, or a never ending meta event. It is just a peanut minute thing. Relax All... :)

> @BeeFrost.5672 said:

> Does it matter if they nerf it? Really? You never have to do it again..lol

nerfing it would be bad on a different level, than "you don't have to do it anymore". If Anet would start nerfing every mastery people wouldn't like or find to hard, they might aswell not bother making any fun/hard masteries since people will complain about it a lot until they nerf it.

a bit like: "give someone a finger and they take the whole hand"

> @MachineManXX.9746 said:

> > @John.8507 said:

> > Challenge was good, and yes a bit frustrating but can be done so please don't nerf

>

> I don't have an opinion either way, but if you already completed it, then why do you care if it gets nerfed or not?

A good point, I've already done it, it took three or so goes, I don't really care if they replaced him with a Mastery-Point-O-Matic-9000 vending machine.

I think there a simply answer for this, Just turn it into an adventure.

Despite how some of us may feel about about them I think this might be the best way to appeal to both parties. They could modify it to make it the health bar drain slowly in the begin so as to allow people to get a feel of how the npcs movement works and and where the ingredients he request are located. Then as you gain more points your health bar starts to drain faster in the silver tier then even faster when you are near gold.

That way it provides a sorta teaching process on how the adventure works all the while still making it a bit challenging to get the first mastery point(silver) and rewards people who hone their skills and shoot for gold(plus it adds an extra mastery point in the expac), and its repeatable.

It took me several repetitions, but I didn't mind. However, I can see where it would be a challenge for some, particularly if they have physical limitations.

I think it would be great to leave it as it is and make it a repeatable challenge for a reward and then put in a shorter, simpler version for the mastery that contains no reward.

IMO, Make it repeatable content, with minimal but fun rewards.

Also make it progressively easy the first time only: if you can't do it the first 5 times, is easier, then 10 times, even easier, 15 times really slow and simple, etc. This way it keeps being an initial challenge and people who doesn't have any interest or are truly incapable of doing it, can simply invest the time to downscale the difficulty.

Once you get the mastery, the difficulty is up again forever, and you get something simple like a random ingredient every time you complete it.

Agreed. No need to nerf if. One thing that might help players is setting a chat channel tab to just NPC speak so that you have time to read the chef's words. Even as a native English speaker, the chat bubble disappeared too fast sometimes to catch whatever the ingredient was that he wanted. (I don't play with sound, so I'm not sure if it was spoken.) As others have said, it took a couple of tries to get the hang of his running patterns and learn where the ingredients were, but then it was very manageable. I personally thought it was a fun activity, seeing a bunch of other people running around with me trying to grab ingredients. Very creative and different from other challenges. Kudos!

I enjoyed it in its current state. It took me about six attempts, but learning the locations and adjusting technique (i.e. use sprint when available, avoid wasting throws until he’s stationary) help each time.

I agree with the recommendation of making the item names viewable when not engaged in the game, but given I’ve already completed it I don’t really have a dog in this fight.

> @TheQuickFox.3826 said:

> Making it an adventure is fine. I just don't like it being a mastery point that is needed for mount masteries which are needed for map progression.

It's not needed for map completion and it's not needed for mount either since there are more mastery points than needed to max everything.