Can't log in GW1, GW2 is no problem

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Yeah the accounts are linked, i see Guild Wars 1 also activated at game accounts (tho no expansions?).

Spelling is correct, ill have to search for old screenshots but i'm 99,9% sure i spelled it correctly.

Will pick this up with support.

Other ideas are welcome.

> @"DominatorxR.3059" said:

> Hi,

>

> Thanks for responding.

> Yeah the accounts are linked, i see Guild Wars 1 also activated at game accounts (tho no expansions?).

> Spelling is correct, ill have to search for old screenshots but i'm 99,9% sure i spelled it correctly.

> Will pick this up with support.

> Other ideas are welcome.

Expansions to GW1 don't show up in the panel so it's alright. If you're 100% sure your password, e-mail and character name are correct and still can't log in then the only way of solving the issue is contacting the support. It might take some time for them to answer but they are really helpful. I've lost my e-mail to GW1 account years ago and even though I had very little information about the account they still managed to help me getting it back.

You can double check whether a character name is currently in use by _someone_ at the [Hall of Monuments Calculator](http://hom.guildwars2.com/). Hopefully, it's not something like "John Smith" or "Jan Schmidt".

It's also worth checking your computer for old screenshots or your out-of-game mail for old conversations with friends — one or more of those might include a character name.

Before doing any of that, create a Support ticket to ask for help. Best case: you figure it out on your own and cancel the ticket. Worst case: support will help you figure it out. The queue is _very_ long at the moment, with some people reporting waits of over 7 days, so it's worth doing that first.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

> @"DominatorxR.3059" said:

> Hi thanks for the advice!

> Just tried every possible way i could think of how to type the names i remember.

> Tho i couldnt find any of them.

> Account comprimised maybe?

I doubt it: if your accounts are linked, then it's likely that a compromised GW1 account would result in looting of your GW2 account also. Since that hasn't happened, I think that either your accounts aren't linked (as you thought) or you aren't remembering your old toon names. Personally, I can live with a bad memory better than with a compromised account. (I already know my memory is bad ;) )

Is there any chance you had multiple accounts (for GW1 or GW2) and didn't link the two you thought you did?

Regardless, did you start a Support ticket?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> I doubt it: if your accounts are linked, then it's likely that a compromised GW1 account would result in looting of your GW2 account also.

GW2 requires 2FA; email authentication by default. GW1 doesn't implement any of GW2's security, only requiring the basic credentials and a character name. Compromising their GW1 account wouldn't allow them to access their GW2 account.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>

> I doubt it: if your accounts are linked, then it's likely that a compromised GW1 account would result in looting of your GW2 account also. Since that hasn't happened, I think that either your accounts aren't linked (as you thought) or you aren't remembering your old toon names. Personally, I can live with a bad memory better than with a compromised account. (I already know my memory is bad ;) )

>

> Is there any chance you had multiple accounts (for GW1 or GW2) and didn't link the two you thought you did?

>

> Regardless, did you start a Support ticket?

I do think it would be possible to access GW1 and not be able to access GW2, there is no location check in GW1.

My name was a variation on a famous name that was allready in use, when i try to find that name in the Hall of Monuments i can't find it either?

I only had 1 GW1 account and 1 GW2 account so no mix up in accounts.

No reply from support just yet.

Thanks for the responses tho!

Just got word back from support!!

They helped me get in my account and i'm off to a complete new playthrough because all my characters i know are gone and there are 2 characters i don't know.

So apparently my account did get hacked an lost years worth of characters.

Guess those will stay memories and time to make new history.